Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Man, am I in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

You're all going to have big shoes to fill.

No, in this thread we're trying to make good games.

Probably gonna go a bit more traditional - 4e-as-I'd-like-it. Keep the concept of discrete key worded powers, but change all the little stuff that annoyed the hell out of me.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I'm not the judge, obviously, but 13A really isn't much like 4e mechanically. Like, I guess it is inasmuch as it has a d20 and attack rolls, but it's a lot closer to 3.5.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Gonna obviate all this by just making an aggro system :getin:

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Roll under stats in the D&D standard range is elegant, but unless you change the way you do other checks, it'll feel a little odd to mix roll-under with roll-add-over.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Attack rolls, for one, unless you convert those to roll-unders as well (you'd have to rework how attack bonus & defenses work, but it probably wouldn't be too hard).

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

Right - alternately, you can add the defense to your roll (which is mathematically the same as subtracting from the target) if you don't want to include subtraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

wallawallawingwang posted:

Is anyone else oscillating between doing a modest rules cleanup and just using 4e as a base for something totally different?

Personally, I'm still trying to figure out a comfortable boundary between "4e-based" and not 4e. Like, what makes 4e 4e, if you get my drift.

• Locked thread