Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Here are some principles that are often cited as ways to build on 4e's design trajectory:
  • Death to ability scores
  • No feats, instead offload their design effects to things like class features
  • Never choose between in-combat and out-of-combat powers
  • Fewer fiddly small bonuses, penalties, and conditions.

I propose that anyone who doesn't do at least these things be immediately disqualified.

I suck at these contests, I always drop out after the first round, but what the hell, I am going to try again.

In addition to the above, my Not4E will try to do the following:

• No out of turn actions. This covers anything from opportunity attacks to moving to buffing etc. Basically no player should ever interrupt another player's (or the DM's) turn to fiddle with his powers.
  • The DM gets only one "attack action" on his turn. Essentially adding more enemies to the battle should scale well and not drag down the whole thing.
  • Properly silo the loving pillars. Players choose different combat, exploration and interaction classes (or maybe interaction doesn't need rules, we'll see if I even have time for that)

There are other ideas I have as well, but if I can't do the above I see no reason in even trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

As far as I am concerned, any game that is tactical enough, plays on a board representing the physical battleground, is class-based and has solid math and action economy should be considered a spiritual successor to 4E.

Or I am just saying this because my entry will try to hit just those particular notes from 4E.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Isn't the fighter's ability to immediately smack a marked creature who doesn't attack them kind of key to their usefulness? It's certainly one of the most rewarding things to be able to say "Not in my house!"

I plan to have a mechanic called "lockdown", where during his turn the fighter lays down tokens in the area around him (not necessarily adjacent) that cause damage to monsters if they are ignored. It might not have the "feel" of delivering a solid attack with a d20, but it should get the job done.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Choose a number of eligible enemies to "threaten" each turn. (Powers and class features determine eligibility.) Roll attacks against each of them on your turn, but don't announce the results. Instead, write them down and put the paper face-down. On the threatened enemies' turn, if they do the thing that would provoke the attack, turn it right-side up and see if it hits and if so how much damage is taken.

This is an awful rule. Clean it up.

Does this refer to my rule? Cause it's nothing like that.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

No, the rule I came up with in that same post was the one that was awful and needed cleanup.

Yeah, I can't handle meta-posting. Maybe replacing the "roll and note down attacks" with drawing from a deck of cards could be a first step. I plan something similar for the Swashbuckler (rogue) that tries to emulate the shell game .

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Anyone who is attempting an aggro mechanic for this contest should go all the way and try to make a DM-less system.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Ok, here is what I currently have in mind for my system:

The players take their turns in any order they want. During a player’s turn, she can take a certain number of actions (standard, move and maaaaaybe minor seems right). Actions have certain main effects (“Move” will take you somewhere else, “Murder” will kill something etc), and most of them have a side effect of generating something called Risk for the player when taken in certain situations.

Risk more or less takes the place of Hit Points, a way to abstract what’s happening during a heated battle. Since Risk is more abstract than hit points, it’s easier for it to go up and down in the course of a fight. You can also think of risk as “karma”, but that’s a bit of a loaded word.

Now, I mentioned that actions can generate risk as a side effect. Here are some examples:
  • Basic Melee Attack: Take Risk equal to the number of adjacent enemies, except the one you attacked.
  • Basic Ranged attack: Take Risk equal to double the number of adjacent enemies.
  • Move: Take Risk equal to the number of enemies you moved past
Classes can of course have access to powers that reduce (or increase!) Risk taken. The fighter will probably have melee attacks that generate zero Risk (or he just mitigates Risk innately) and the rogue can tumble past enemies with little Risk. There are also powers that directly reduce your Risk or the Risk of others.

When all the players have taken their turns, they end up with varying amounts of Risk on them, and it’s now the DM’s turn. The DM can use the Risk that the players generated to ruin their day. Here are some examples of what he could do:
  • The evil wizard casts a fireball. All players roll d20 vs their Risk. Rolling under means that they failed their save and they are now ON FIRE.
  • An ogre lands a heavy hit on the rogue who foolishly thought that he could sneak up on it.
  • The fighter clutches his chest as an old wound reopens. He might have reduced movement for the next round.
  • A small goblin that no one paid any attention to jumps on the wizard’s back and starts pummeling him with his fists.
These “DM Powers” will clear the Risk on the targets. I am not really sure what to do with people who were not targets and whether their remaining Risk should carry over.

So the main idea is that small fiddly actions like having a minion take an OA at you as you move past should be abstracted into Risk, and have the DM roll for significant actions that can dramatically alter the battle by using Risk.

As for the players killing monsters, I am thinking of something similar in the way of “Momentum” or “Pressure”. Haven’t thought about it that much, but I don’t want it to be like Hit Points either.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

wallawallawingwang posted:

Rexides, I really like that idea. Are monsters also subject to risk as well? Since all those tiny fiddly bits apply to PC actions as well. If you do, it seems like it would be easier to port over 4e's roles.

Generally player actions are too significant (compared to, say, a minion's attack) to abstract with such a mechanic, with the exception of out-of-turn attacks (like OA), which are bad because they interrupt play and draw out the combat length. So I am going to have a similar mechanic (but not the same) to abstract these kind of things.

wallawallawingwang posted:

How important are the 4 roles to people? As a player I really like having a clear idea what I'm supposed to be doing during a fight.

We had a big argument in one of the older D&D Next threads about the validity of the striker role. Since "Make HP go down" is the central mechanic of combat, some of us felt that all members of the party should be able to contribute to it equally. I think that Misandu is on to something here, as all his classes have certain conditions where they do big damage, and the combat mini-game is about making those conditions happen.

You could also have a "striker" role that does the same damage as the rest, but excels at slipping past soldiers and brutes to deliver that damage to enemy controllers, however if you do that you end up with a role that is only relevant when that particular configuration of enemies is present, which is not good.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

But because of that it seems to me that 4E goes through a lot of unnecessary steps to arrive at that point. So that's why I'm asking, since we've got a lot of people theory- and kitbashing here, if there's some point to how 4E handles this that I'm missing or if it really is largely as pointless as it seems?

Between ability score increases, feats, magic items, and of course the +1/2 level bonus, PCs are expected to have +1/level to hit and defenses (before proficiency and class bonuses)

Kai Tave posted:

I agree that the disparity between AC and the non-AC defenses is kind of weird when you dig right down into the reasoning behind it, but I also agree that monsters having variable defense ratings in different areas gives players an additional tactical consideration when fighting them so I'd be inclined to keep it in some form or fashion.

As we discussed in another thread, the problem is that variable defenses in a binary resolution system is not such a good idea. Sure, you do have more chances scoring a hit against a weak defense, but since the two different outcomes are exactly the same as attacking a strong defense (Hit/No Hit, or rolling 18 vs DC 18 has the same effect as 18 vs DC 11), it makes you question the validity of that particular rule combination on a turn-by-turn basis.

For people who want to have variable defenses in their systems, I suggest the following: a) Have a more granular resolution mechanic, or b) Have different effects vs different defense strength. Personally I'll go with b because I think it's nice to reward a player for picking the weak point by providing an additional bonus to his effect. For example, a creature with weak Fort might get a penalty to movement if he was hit with a vs. Fort power, or one with a weak Will might get a penalty to damage with vs. Will powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Dropping out. To be honest, it was never my intention to make a "better 4E", I was just trying to shoehorn some ideas I had into a grid-based combat system.

If this contest somehow results 4thfinder, I will seriously consider pitching it to my group because 4E is great but oh god those loving cows.

• Locked thread