Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
I wanted to ask some opinions of the thread on my writeup about ability scores.

What I wrote posted:

Ability scores affect eight areas of Dungeons & Dragons:
Basic attacks, which are based off strength and dexterity for melee and ranged attacks, respectively.
Initiative, which gains a bonus equal to your defence modifier.
Hit Points and Healing Surges, the first taking your constitution score, the second taking your constitution modifier.
Attacks and Damage, which use a particular modifier based on a primary attribute, and may have various other affects based off of a secondary attribute.
Defences, in which you gain bonuses based upon the highest score of a particular pairing. (FORT: STR/CON, REF: DEX/INT, WILL: WIS/CHA)
Skills, where each skill uses an attribute as a modifier to rolls. (eg: a character with 12 STR (+1) gets a +1 bonus to Athletics. a character with 12 DEX gets a +1 bonus to acrobatics, stealth and thievery.)

If you wish to do away with ability scores, these areas will have to be reworked.

When People say death to ability scores, what they mean is 'as a character, ability scores affect both combat and out-of-combat encounters. This means that I am hamstrung from certain noncombat encounters by my reliance on ability scores for combat mathematics.'

The second reason to get rid of them is that they put a layer of abstraction between the real numbers and the players. There is only one instance in which you use the actual attribute value: when calculating hit points. In all other instances, you use the modifier.

And finally, once these areas are made independent of ability scores, they serve no purpose. they do not differentiate. they are simply numbers on a sheet, with no real consequence in their raising or lowering.

Do I have most of the issues surrounding ability cores? Are there any more? Do you Agree/Disagree with the claim that getting rid of ability scores would require a redesign of the eight areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread