Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mathfinder

Here are some principles that are often cited as ways to build on 4e's design trajectory:
  • Death to ability scores
  • No feats, instead offload their design effects to things like class features
  • Never choose between in-combat and out-of-combat powers
  • Fewer fiddly small bonuses, penalties, and conditions.

The name of the game here is unification and streamlining. Maybe also some flattening. Something that might go over well would be a "conversion guide," a set of rules that can take existing 4e content and make it usable in your own heartbreaker, much like how there's a straightforward formula to update old monsters to Monster Manual 3 math. Because most 4e content already conforms to fairly consistent numeric ranges, this might actually work.

I'll probably have something of substance to contribute later, but for now I'll start by telling everybody else what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Choose a number of eligible enemies to "threaten" each turn. (Powers and class features determine eligibility.) Roll attacks against each of them on your turn, but don't announce the results. Instead, write them down and put the paper face-down. On the threatened enemies' turn, if they do the thing that would provoke the attack, turn it right-side up and see if it hits and if so how much damage is taken.

This is an awful rule. Clean it up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rexides posted:

Does this refer to my rule? Cause it's nothing like that.

No, the rule I came up with in that same post was the one that was awful and needed cleanup.

• Locked thread