Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Rules question: I already have Trifold 4E as a base (there are minor rule changes from ordinary 4E). But I've no classes with it; I'm thinking of something like either (a) DW style playbooks or (b) Magical Girl or Super Sentai (or possibly (c) Tag Team Wrestling).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I have a working draft of my first class: The Innate Mage. Still a lot to do even for the class. 10 levels for a simple to use class on a trifold.

Basic class concept: You have a mage who has one trick they can use really well. The ones presented are an Illusionist, a Storm Controller, an Earth/Ice Controller (same rules), and a Burninating Pyromancer. Feats and Utility Powers rolled into one (why exactly do we need both?) with some Feats being passive. Most feats are class specific (I've thrown out Enhancement Bonusses and Expertise for a flat +1/level, and gone for Death To Ability Scores) but there are a few you can pick that are generic. And each new class provides its own multiclass feat. Yes, flight is in there as an ability - although it's more the Hover-target type of flight (yes, I want them to run when they need to. Or throw up walls).

Comments?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Add a summoner type. For necromancers with zombies, master of elementals and golems, etc.

And maybe generalize a bit more. Your pyro is an elemental blaster: choose a keyword at character creation (Fire, shock, thunder, frost, etc.) So then you divide the class and powerlist by what they do.

Blaster- choose a keyword
Controller -manifestation (storm, illusion, etc), elemental (keyword)

And so on.

The Summoner's sufficiently different that it's going to be its own separate playbook (with the Summoner themselves having the weakest attacks) - Artificers, Necromancers, Elementalists, and Commanders and Summons as Champion, Swarm, Bodyguards, Endless (think the Shaman). They get up to their level in "Weak summons" (non-combatants with extremely limited initiative) with a feat to make it their level cubed for when you need those skeleton hordes. (And their multiclass feat gives the taker's level squared in weak summons).

As for generalising, the first draft had each elemental type with an Sfx. I wasn;t happy with the result, but may go back to it and remove Storm to make space. In my experience the overwhelming majority of blasters would be pyromancers anyway. But it's something I'm oscillating on (with sticking the class to two sides not being negotiable although the font size is).

And thanks for the feedback :)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

And now for a Trifold Fighter who can be anywhere from simpler than a Slayer to the full range of a well built Weaponmaster. And yes, CAGI is in there in all but name (I made it a daily because it has much more of a daily feel to me) and so is the Countercharge as an encounter power. And yes, the fighter is meant to have a ridiculous level of Presence.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I've left a couple comments on the document itself and hopefully I didn't break poo poo in the process, but I think it might be more convenient if I leave more extensive feedback this way.

First of all this looks pretty rad and I think you should keep going with this. In terms of feedback, my immediate question I guess is whether there's really much of a benefit to having both a Mark and a Defender Aura as Approaches as they really both fulfill similar functions and provide similar benefits with only a slight difference in functionality. I'm a fan of 4E's Fighter but I have to admit that if I were trying to do a quicker, simpler, sleeker 4E that I might be tempted to just give the Fighter the Defender's Aura which is honestly a very functional bit of design that renders a Fighter quite sticky.

Next, is there anything that differentiates the weapon choice besides damage die type? Because as it stands I'm not entirely sure what the point of choosing, say, unarmed combat is over a one handed weapon when one does d6 damage and the other does d10 with no other apparent difference. Maybe this is something you plan to address further on in the game, I'm not sure.

Is there a reason that choosing the Action Point Upgrade locks you into choosing it for each successive Upgrade? And why does Old One-Two look like you can take it multiple times? I may be misinterpreting something, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to take it more than once.

Thanks for the comments :) And the proposed changes were only marked rejected (after comments) to get the page alignment back.

Mark and Defender Aura: Not really other than legacy, especially with the Roots of the Mountain feat in there to cover the pushes that really annoy Knights. I was going to say that would block the "You're Next!" feat I really like - but that just takes a single line to fix.

Weapon choice: there's what you are actually doing with the free hand. The reason to have nothing in your off hand is to enable the grappler/brawler powers and if you have two empty hands you can grab two monsters at the same time. Otherwise weapons are better. And now I come to think of it at present sword and fist is strictly better than TWF which I need to fix.

Action point locks you in because I've never been happy with fights going down fast to Daily/Action Point/Daily. That just gets annoying. But come to think of it there shouldn't be a problem here as that would take three dailies (I've taken Action Points out of the main rules). And most classes are intended to have one "default" encounter power to enable people who actually want to repeat the same trick over and over. It's never going to be what I consider the best one (although I am trying to balance them) - far my favourite encounter power for the fighter is Countercharge. Likewise Own The Foe for dailies. I like complex tactics, but I'm trying to build the class on a sliding scale for those who don't.

Anyway, next up: The Warlord. And there I get to play with the Popcorn Initiative system I'm using - Warlords get powers that allow you to either steal the initiative or pass it on as well as most of their classic bag of tricks.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I doubt that two fisted fighters are worth it - but yes, d8 would probably be better. I also want to tweak it somehow so you can smash improvised weapons for extra damage - but I think that should be in the core improvised weapon rules. As for Marked having applications outside the fighter, I believe even Monster Vault uses it. Although character creation is very different it's intended to be compatible at the table (barring skill tweaks).

Also I know I said the Warlord would be next - but I'm slightly drunk. The Archivist Wizard. If I'm redesigning why not meet a request for a certain type of character? It's not finished - I need to add more iconic spells. And I'm not sure whether it is a really good idea or a really bad one.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Covok posted:

It's not set to public viewing.

Doh! Fixed.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Trifold Warlord.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

And now for a Rogue

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Fenarisk posted:

These trifold classes are really awesome.

Thanks :) I'm about half way through the next one - the Holy Warrior who combines the Paladin, Strength Cleric, and Blackguard, complete with a vocation they can change twice/tier for a fall-and-redemption arc controlled by the player.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Holy Warrior and a Table of Contents (not that I think I'll do it all this month - but I've enough functional classes already).

I'm not as happy with the Holy Warrior as I am my other classes - mostly because the Cleric archetype is weird and D&D specific and I'm breaking from that as well. So I'd love feedback; I think it's clear what I'm trying to do (and there is another more castery cleric to come).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Nancy_Noxious posted:

Is the Holy Warrior public? Google says I need to ask you permission to access it.

... I'd forgotten that when I created a copy of the previous template it didn't copy permissions. It is now.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

The Holy Warrior and a Table of Contents (not that I think I'll do it all this month - but I've enough functional classes already).

I'm not as happy with the Holy Warrior as I am my other classes - mostly because the Cleric archetype is weird and D&D specific and I'm breaking from that as well. So I'd love feedback; I think it's clear what I'm trying to do (and there is another more castery cleric to come).

I wasn't happy with it. So I rewrote it to make it further from a fighter type and much more its own thing. Holy Warriors are now implacable fanatics who get stronger as the situation gets worse.
The Holy Warrior (improved version)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The Fantasy rules module

I'm not sure I'll have this thing finished in time - but here's the core document. There's more to do (including more classes) - but you can always add more classes and six should be enough to submit.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

wallawallawingwang posted:

Can we see the three strikes skill challenges link listed in the core document? It says I don't have permission.

It was half done and I'd linked it prematurely from the core rules, sorry. It's now accessible. I think I'll also be able to get the fast and fun combat section done by the end of the month.

Edit: And the current working title is 4th Trifold - this too will almost certainly change :)

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 28, 2014

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

And GM guidance on how to set up fun combats.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

First draft of the Warlock - someone in my group's interested in playing one (which is why I'm looking at Warlock and Vessel (spellcasting Cleric/Invoker)).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Could you reformat the Steakpunk character sheet please? That solid black wall's very hard on my eyes - and it takes special measures to write on a black background, meaning that I think you literally can't fill in the character sheet with a pen (you can't put in the highest, middle, and lowest attributes and there are underscores that I think are meant to be where you write them in).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Much better, thanks.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Just checking I'm submitted.

And 4th Trifold is a longer term project than just this contest - but thanks for the contest for taking the project off my "To do one day" list and giving me motivation. On the other hand I've no immediate plans to stop tinkering. So for a record what's currently part of 4th Trifold is:

Basic Rules
Fantasy rules module
Fantasy FAQ

Fighter
Rogue
Warlord
Holy Warrior (Cleric/Paladin/Blackguard)
Innate Mage
Archivist Wizard (Spell list is WIP)
Warlock
Spirit Warrior (Barbarian/Warden)

Who needs a plan? Three strikes and you’re out - skill challenges
Fast and Fun Combat - What do you need for a battlefield and what for monster tactics?

It needs a Monster Vault of some sort to use properly, but the player-side material is all functional (I trust) although friends have requested Moar Classes (the Vessel (Invoker/Caster Cleric) and the Bard) - and some of those friends are going to be playtesting 4th Trifold. It also needs some sort of basic intro-doc. So I think the submitted docs are going to remain more or less unchanged before judging.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Make a ranger and/or druid. :colbert:

Ranger's on my to do list, certainly. I need an archer. It's on hold because I'm not sure what a Ranger is trying to do. (As ProfCirno went through recently 1e was Aragorn, 2e was Drizzt, 3.0 was terrible, 3.5 was confused and vaguely nature-y and magic-y, and 4e was vaguely nature-y cuisineart of death or turning the air black)

Given a Ranger appeals to you, what do you want to see it do?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

What you need is a Monk. A good one. 4E's about the only good example of a D&D Monk there is. The "full discipline" system might be too complex for what you're doing but I think the biggest success of the 4E Monk was finally making good on the promise of "a highly mobile skirmisher" by giving Monks lots of tactically useful movement options while also giving them lots of decent multi-target attacks and reasonably decent damage.

That's already on the drawing board - it basically uses the rogue swift action as restricted move or standard action chassis (with slightly different options) and more multiattacks and trips than the rogue has.

For the Ranger would people like or hate it if I mixed stupid trick arrows like boxing gloves and boomerangs in with the poisons, turnip heads, incendiaries, and rope cutters? (No need at all to take a boxing glove unless you want to).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Make a ranger and/or druid. :colbert:

Your wish is my command. I seem to have killed both Green Arrow and the Executioner Assassin and taken most of their stuff. But I'd really like feedback on this one; no one in any of my groups really plays archery rangers and I try to design with players in mind (my Spirit Warrior, for example, is not pitched so much to 4e players as to the type of players who want to play a Barbarian or Garou and just bring the smashy).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Sanglorian posted:

Hi folks,

These are great! I'm looking forward to reading through each of them. Overwatch (from EREBUS) is I think the solution to something that's been bothering me - how to model suppressive fire. And Trifold 4E's *World-style playbooks seem like a lot of fun.

I keep a list of 4e-inspired games that are under Creative Commons licences/the OGL here: http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/engine:dungeons-dragons-4e - but in a month quite a few of your submissions are more developed than most of the projects on there.

Would any of you consider licensing your stuff under say Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike, to potentially serve as the chassis of future games?

I'd actually been planning to license Trifold 4e under the OGL rather than the CC Share Alike license; I consider it a much safer license for a retroclone that remains in the fantasy niche. So yes I would be :)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Covok posted:

Neonchamelon, can you tell me what order to read your trifold in? Like which box to read first, then second, etc.

Start with the core rules, the fantasy module, and the FAQ. Then the Skill Challenge section. (The combat design is useful but moreso for people who don't get 4e than those who do; simple changes are that I'm using 13th Age names for roles, have split the Skirmisher into the Trickster and the Militia, and have abolished the Controller). Then go on to the classes.

P.d0t posted:

Looks pretty good. what is Create Shade supposed to do?

"Our arrows shall blot out the sun."
"Then we shall fight in the shade."

After you enter the Create Shade stance you get an extra attack per round for the rest of the scene as long as you don't faff around with things like poisons.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Covok posted:

While that is helpful, I'm referring to the order of boxes within the trifold itself. I know the documents are meant to be folded a particular way so I'm presuming the boxes aren't just left to right. I can tell which one starts it off, but I don't which would be next in order and so on.

Ah, gotcha. This actually changed slightly while I was writing. The core rules have the introduction on the far right tab on the first page, and inside the trifold (page 2) is "GM tables to refer to" so it can stand up like a DM screen printed on A4 - lookups facing inwards so the GM can see them at a glance. But when I showed things to my group they promptly printed them flat and stapled them together just as a matter of course - so the character sheets and the fantasy rules module read left to right, page 1 to page 2.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I've made a start on a bestiary and am transferring everything else about 4th Trifold to the 4e Retroclone thread.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Covok posted:

We are about to do the 4e trifold playtest. I am running it under the assumptions monsters have 6 hex movements likes and that encounter building rules are the same as they are in 4e. If we are incorrect, there is still a little time to correct us.

Yay :) And all correct. (Technically there's no XP budget in 4th Trifold so it's picking by monster levels rather than calculating XP as some people do).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Covok posted:

What does Puissant Bolt attack against? We assumed AC because it is under basic.

Doh! Reflex. Corrected.

quote:

Edit: Also, what happens if a monster crits since it does set damage?

At present absolutely nothing. That's one of the playtest experiments - how do the players react if I drop crits. The other current plan is to move all crits (including PC ones) to double damage.

How did the whole thing go?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Yay :D Thanks! :D

Anything in specific the fighter in your group wanted? Or just more options? (The rest I'm aware of and have some guidance to rewrite and some layout work to do - but that one's a surprise).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I was slightly worried about the Warlock of the Tyrant drawing strength from defeating foes. Sounds as if I was right to be - and I'll look at punching up the fighter, thanks.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Our fighter was trying to build his fighters to be the best defender possible, seeing as how the fighter being incredibly good at actually contributing is sort of the defining "thing" about 4e, and was judging the systems on how well he could do that. I wasn't actually there for that playtest, but I can at least provide that context.

Ah right, thanks. I was very much designing a "Take your eyes off the fighter and die" approach to the fighter rather than a completely solid brick. I should probably broaden it a bit thanks - at least if I have space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Covok posted:

I still need the captain's account to give your prize, I believe.

Also, Dog Kisser and NeonChamelon, has Dagon given you your rewards yet?

He has, and thank you. (And thank you Dagon)

• Locked thread