Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've made a bare bones levels 1-10 D&D based of the Gamma World ruleset. I've gotta type up some words about combat and actual character creation, but it's a functional game right now.

What's going on with this poo poo:
  • randomly roll for chargen. Or pick from a list. Whatever. gently caress you.
  • less analysis paralysis, cause you've only got like three options
  • make a new character in literal minutes.
  • super lethal bullshit that sucks
  • remember D&D tactics cards? Now you can actually use them!
  • streamline everything down to the barest bones. Drop the fiddly bullshit. No tracking -2s ... (Can't remember if I did this)
  • fill in blanks later

Yeah, so look forward to that. I'll try to write it so you won't need any knowledge of the GW rules. I'll post it as a google doc some time this coming week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I plan on cribbing whole chunks of 4e that will be altered for the slightly different system. Is this cool?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Covok posted:

I don't really follow. If you mean your using a derivative system of 4e or borrowing alot of 4e then that is allowed.

I'm using the Gamma World system, itself a stripped down derivative of 4e. You answered my question dead on without really knowing what I was asking, so kudos.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Thoughts on "roll under" abilities in place of skills? They fill the same rolls anyway in the framework, in some sense. Strong guy does strong stuff 90% of the time.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What else would you make checks for? Outside of skill checks, I can't really think of anything. Using roll under for abilities is a pretty elegant system that actually makes ability scores significant.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Does anything else? I can only think of saves, and roll under ability (con or whatever) would work pretty darn well for that. I am referring only to death saves, because any other saves suck. Save or X abilities do too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm just gonna slap fantasy over gamma world and do a really half assed job. Whats a better name, Basic 4E, or Gamma Dragons?

• Locked thread