Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

In honor of 4th of July and the launch of D&D 5th edition, I thought the July contest should focus on the previous edition of Dungeon and Dragons. Just as 3rd edition was for 2nd, the game changed alot from the previous edition. It's changes were praised by some and disliked by others. Regardless, it balanced martial and caster classes, had tactical combat, made good measures to ensure every player was competent in combat, and allowed for robust and unique character builds.

For July's contest, I believe the goal should be to make a game using the 4th edition's engine or a derivation there of. How you see to alter it is on you. The changes can be mild or extreme. The games don't need to be perfect or complete, but they need to be finished enough to build a character and do a simple encounter. So, character creation rules, some combat rules (be it physical, social, etc.), and some rules for npcs.

Obviously, no one submits to a contest without some expectation of a reward. The winner of the contest will receive a $25 voucher for drivethrurpg. Redeemable for many great games offered by the digital store.

Questions

1. Is there a theme we have to stick to?
Not really. The game can be about anything you want. Take the word "encounter" loosely. It can be straight up sword and spell combat. It could be a very tense argument where the wrong word could spell doom for you. Essentially, I think leaving this word open to interpretation invites creativity to the contest.

2. Page Minimum? Page Limit?

While I'm sure most people don't have the time to write a book in the month, there is no page limit or minimum. The game can be as long or short as you want as long as the game uses the 4e system or a derivation of it.

3. You keep saying derivation, how far off can we get?

This is something I'm going to keep to a case by case basis. I like creativity and thinking outside the box. That said, if you think your changes are going to far, just explain what your doing and I will respond as quickly as possible.

The contest ends on July 31. I would like if all participants kept up with updates on your progress.

Judging
I'm judging on the following factors:

Creativity (Difference from original while still being 4e. I want to reward those with good ideas, but also make sure they are using the 4e system),

Practicality (How well the mechanics work),

Presentation (How easy the rules are to parse: clarity in rules are important),

Balance (How strong the classes/character options are in relation to one another),

(possibly) Player Feedback (I'm trying to setup a group of non-bias individuals to run one encounter in each entry. This is a possible factor as attempts to set this up have not yet worked out)

I wish everyone best of luck and hope you have fun with the contest.

Final Submissions
The final, submitted entries are:

Dog Kisser: Land of Manitou
Frankosity and Captain Hats: Erebus
Pd0t and Error 404: Steakpunk
Neonchamelon: 4th Trifold
Fuschia Tide: Space Death

The Results!

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

zachol posted:

So, no strict schedule for proposal/drafs/etc, right?

No, there is no strict schedule for such things. I'm mostly interested in the finished entry. If you feel can make something can meet the criteria late in the game, so to speak, I have no qualms with that. That said, considering the time investment making a game can become, I'd suggest starting early.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Dagon posted:

Lee's Lists will match this with $15 and $10 dtrpg gift certs for whoever Covok deems are runners up.

Wow, I didn't see that at first. That is extremely generous of you. Thank you for supporting this contest with your generous donation (is that what you would call this?)

Asymmetrikon posted:

Man, am I in!

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

i will be the next pathfinder

I'm glad to see you're both enthusiastic. I look forward to seeing your entries.

Covok
May 27, 2013

P.d0t posted:

:siren:PROSPECTIVE GAME DESIGNERS:siren:

I made, like, a very 4e-derivative game a while back so I likely can't submit it to the contest.

BUT if there is anyone out there [like me] feeling like they don't have a whole new game in them, let me know. I'd be willing to collaborate and/or just bounce ideas back and forth, and maybe together we could make a complete, New Thing.

Link to Old Thing.
Link to :words: about Old Thing.

Sanglorian posted:

Hey Covok, sounds interesting! Is work I've already done - but not published - admissable, or do I have to start from scratch?

Originally, I felt that submitting work you've had time to work on before the contest might be an unfair advantage. However, I feel most contests of this type tend not to discriminate on that factor. The norm seems to be accepting of those entries. I hope this isn't a problem for anyone.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lord Frisk posted:

I plan on cribbing whole chunks of 4e that will be altered for the slightly different system. Is this cool?

I don't really follow. If you mean your using a derivative system of 4e or borrowing alot of 4e then that is allowed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

lord_daeloth posted:

Not sure if I'll have time this month, what with a newborn and all, but I've really been wanting to make a system with powers determined by what gear your character was carrying. 4th Edition seems like it'd be a good engine for this, so I'll see what I can slap together.

Question: How much can we assume the players know of 4th? Like, if I cover character creation rules and guides for encounter building/enemy creation, can we assume that the player knows how the 4th edition combat, skill, etc. mechanics work? I would assume yes, since otherwise this would be a nigh impossible project to finish in a month, but just want to make sure.

As I have access to the rules compendium and the PHBs -- as well have played the game -- I will allow contestants to rely on my access to the rules. If your system, by the way, alters those rules, please state that it does so.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

To sorta see where the boundaries are - would 13A qualify here, or would it be too different from 4e?

I did say 4e and systems derived from 4th edition D&D. So, technically, 13A is partially derived from 4e. It's also derived from 3e. That said, it does have A/E/D powers (If you didn't see encounter powers, its because they are usually in a paragraph preceded by "once per battle"), healing surges (in a very limited way), use ability vs defenese for attacking instead of BAB, has three defenses, a universal, (usually) unmodified saving throw system, as well as other similarities. So, while it does have differences -- relative distances, not every class has powers, lack of a skill system, etc. -- , I'm going to allow it as it shows its 4e roots.

That said, Archmage is as far removed from 4e as I'm going to allow as far preexisting systems are concerned.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Spincut posted:

I'm interested in doing something for the contest, but I'm just curious on what you are going to be judging the entries on? Are you looking for something that modified 4e's mechanics the best, did the wildest thing to reskin 4e, or is just "the coolest thing?"

Just wondering what direction I should be looking at. Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. I'm judging on the following factors: Creativity (Difference from original while still being 4e. I want to reward those with good ideas, but also make sure they are using the 4e system), Practicality (How well the mechanics work), Presentation (How easy the rules are to parse: clarity in rules are important), Balance (How strong the classes/character options are in relation to one another), and, possibly, Player Feedback (I'm trying to setup a group of non-bias individuals to run one encounter in each entry. This is a possible factor as attempts to set this up have not yet worked out)

Covok
May 27, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

I doubt that two fisted fighters are worth it - but yes, d8 would probably be better. I also want to tweak it somehow so you can smash improvised weapons for extra damage - but I think that should be in the core improvised weapon rules. As for Marked having applications outside the fighter, I believe even Monster Vault uses it. Although character creation is very different it's intended to be compatible at the table (barring skill tweaks).

Also I know I said the Warlord would be next - but I'm slightly drunk. The Archivist Wizard. If I'm redesigning why not meet a request for a certain type of character? It's not finished - I need to add more iconic spells. And I'm not sure whether it is a really good idea or a really bad one.

It's not set to public viewing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I'm just wondering how everyone's entry is going. We are starting to near the end of the month so the pressure is on, so to speak. Two weeks from yesterday, the contest will be over. Hope to see everyone's entry.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Gau posted:

It's not NEAR the end of the month you rear end in a top hat, I just had a moment of panic before I looked at the date.

I said two weeks. You know, like, latter half. No need to get all flustered. You still got time.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Just coming in to remind everyone that we have reached the final week of the contest. By 12:00 Thursday night, I'd like everyone to post a link to the submission form of their game. I'd prefer if it was a digital document rather than a forum post as it would make it easier to parse the thread for other entries.

We're in the final stretch, you guys can do it!

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's only a few hours until the contest is over. If you have any entries you want to submit, now is your last chance. At 12:00 AM EST (my timezone), the contest is over.

Covok
May 27, 2013

And the submitting phase of the contest is officially over.

The final, submitted entries are:

Dog Kisser: Land of Manitou
Frankosity and Captain Hats: Erebus
Pd0t and Error 404: Steakpunk
Neonchamelon: 4th Trifold
Fuschia Tide: Space Death

If I missed your entry, inform me of my error and I will correct it.

While I may not have commented on any of them previously in the thread, I feel I should say that all of these entries look amazing and I look forward to dissecting them. Regardless of who wins, you all did an amazing job with this contest from what I've read so far.

Now the judging phase begins. Hopefully, it will not take as long as some other contests have taken during this phase. That said, all of the entries have decent page length so I will need time to judge them. I can't give any concrete date, but I do hope to get it done before I return to university.

Covok fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 1, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's only been ten minutes since the deadline, I really don't have any problem accepting your entry. It's all good mate. :)

Edit: I guess I should mention that if time zones meant you were in work right now or you otherwise couldn't submit before the deadline, I don't have any problems accepting late entries. Things happen.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 1, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Frankosity posted:

Just FYI, this entry was a collaboration between Captain Hats and myself.

Corrected.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Neonchamelon, can you tell me what order to read your trifold in? Like which box to read first, then second, etc.

Covok
May 27, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

Start with the core rules, the fantasy module, and the FAQ. Then the Skill Challenge section. (The combat design is useful but moreso for people who don't get 4e than those who do; simple changes are that I'm using 13th Age names for roles, have split the Skirmisher into the Trickster and the Militia, and have abolished the Controller). Then go on to the classes.

While that is helpful, I'm referring to the order of boxes within the trifold itself. I know the documents are meant to be folded a particular way so I'm presuming the boxes aren't just left to right. I can tell which one starts it off, but I don't which would be next in order and so on.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Captain Hats and Frankosity, am I to assume things with the system that aren't specifically said to change are the same as 4e? I ask this as, and this may be my error, I do not see a formula for AC or other defenses.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Frankosity, We are going to do the playtest under the assumption you get the HP per level boost at first level because nothing else mentions higher level things and some members thought the hp was low in comparison to their 4e counterparts. Was this an incorrect assumption? We are doing the playtest at this moment (like we're about to start soon) so yeah.

Also, there is a typo with biodisrupter grenade. It doesn't mention it's too hit or it's target defense.

Covok fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 12, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

We are about to do the 4e trifold playtest. I am running it under the assumptions monsters have 6 hex movements likes and that encounter building rules are the same as they are in 4e. If we are incorrect, there is still a little time to correct us.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What does Puissant Bolt attack against? We assumed AC because it is under basic.

Edit: Also, what happens if a monster crits since it does set damage?

Covok fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 13, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

dog kisser posted:

In Land of The Manitou news, lovely goon Djw175 is running a playtest campaign in the system in a thread right here. The upside is I get to play! Fun!

I am aware of this. DJ is one of our playtesters and was interested in running a pbp of the game.

For the curious, we have completed all our playtests and I will provide my judgement soon after I have some time to mull all the details over.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, the results are in!

Before we get to the rankings, I want to tell everyone that it was a tough decision ranking these titles. During my own reviewing, we focused on clarity of rules, functionality in play, balance of classes, and creativity. During playtests, we focused more closely on the clarity of the rules and the functionality of the system than creativity. I feel the following titles best met the criteria of the contest.

Without further ado...

1st Place – Erebus
2nd Place – Land of Manitou
3rd Place - 4e Trifold

So, there are a few comments I'd like to mention for the titles.

Erebus
-You may wish to decrease the ranges on weapons. The current version requires a rather large map which may be a bit unweidly if played physically.

4e Trifold
-While the trifold idea is cool, currently, the playbooks feel a little busy and made it harder to parse for some players. It might need some reorganizing for clarity.
-The change to hexes felt unnecessary and didn't sit well with some of the playtesters who didn't see the need in the shift.
-The Fighter of the group felt a bit limited in his options and play style.
-The current rules for Quick Combat felt off. Losing recoveries instead of HP felt more damaging in the long run. The fact that the damage converted, for monsters, to HP if it shifted to normal combat made it seem unnecessary. I would comment further, but it seems the rules have been updated since the playtest.

Steakpunk
-Reserves allowing for extra turns lead to some inbalance. When we ran a combat with this rule – we did another without it –, the PCs were able to win the battle in a single turn. Without this, the combat ran better.
-In addition to the above, Razor Wind was a bit powerful. In the same vein, the playtesters felt their characters were underpowered.
-The clarity and organization of the rules needs some improvement. Both the players and myself had trouble building our characters as a result.
-The current version of consumption rewards needs some tweaking. They felt both a little restrictive, a bit too rewarding, and had some conflicts. Like, what if two people both got Highest Initiative?
-We felt the character sheet could use a redesign.

That playtest feedback aside, I want to congratulate everyone on their efforts in the contest. It isn't easy making a 4e style game especially under a timelimit.

Frankosity and Captain Hats, you win a $25 gift card to DTRPG. I'll need your DTRPG account to make the transfer. I should mention that the prize is $25 total, not $25 each. I apologize if there was any confusion on that front.

Dogkisser and NeonChamleon, you need to contact Dagon for your rewards as he was the one adding them to the contest.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Frankosity posted:

Hot drat! Kind of wish I'd saved the 'gently caress YES' banner for that, but I was sure Steakpunk would be claiming that top slot!

I'm really chuffed to see Erebus got such good feedback. My contribution was basically 10 days of frantic number-crunching and hoping that everything flowed right in practice. The good Captain has a DTRPG account so he'll be claiming the voucher. We've already got some pretty heavy stuff bookmarked...

I still need the captain's account to give your prize, I believe.

Also, Dog Kisser and NeonChamelon, has Dagon given you your rewards yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

And your prize has been sent! Ignore the fact I accidentally said your prize is from the August contest.

Well, I suppose this fully wraps up the July contest. I want to congratulate everyone on their work and mention that I would love to see everyone continue on and develop their projects. I'm glad we got so many people willing to put time and effort into making entries.

• Locked thread