Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Not sure if I'll have time this month, what with a newborn and all, but I've really been wanting to make a system with powers determined by what gear your character was carrying. 4th Edition seems like it'd be a good engine for this, so I'll see what I can slap together.

Question: How much can we assume the players know of 4th? Like, if I cover character creation rules and guides for encounter building/enemy creation, can we assume that the player knows how the 4th edition combat, skill, etc. mechanics work? I would assume yes, since otherwise this would be a nigh impossible project to finish in a month, but just want to make sure.

Edit: I was also planning to make this a sci-fi conversion, so hopefully I don't hate myself after trying to convert things to mostly use ranged powers. Here we go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Covok posted:

As I have access to the rules compendium and the PHBs -- as well have played the game -- I will allow contestants to rely on my access to the rules. If your system, by the way, alters those rules, please state that it does so.

Cool. And yeah, that's what I figured. I won't be changing too much, just how power are allocated, but resolution mechanics should all be the same. Essentially, my system idea just changes character creation rules and will add some fluff. If I can manage to get that much done, then I'll consider doing other wacky stuff.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

megane posted:

Why not just make it flat damage? Breaking a tank class's "rule" (moving away from me, attacking allies when you're marked, whatever) costs you 5xLevel HP, period.

This is my favorite idea for handling this. As an added bonus, it is super easy to expand. Say you want to hinder them in some other way, you might have a class or option that adds status effects instead of damage (or reduced damage). Sure it removes the gamble of "Well, he might miss if I ignore the 'rule'... here goes NOTHING!", but most of the time you just followed that rule regardless. Maybe have options that let you ignore the tank class's 'rule' in given situations? See, this is so crazy easy to expand. Megane is on to something here.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Ok, so I haven't done much, but I've gone through and done a breakdown of the classes. Essentially I took a basic fighter, rogue, wizard and warlord and split their powers and class features into various pieces of gear. So, if you bought the right pieces, you would wind up with the equivalent of a Guardian Fighter from the PHB, except I'm converting this to a sci-fi-ish thing so you'd have a shotgun instead of a big sword/shield. Of course, you don't have to build that way. Mixing and matching parts is the name of the game here. I'm working on assigning a cost to each piece of equipment based on what it gives the character. There aren't going to be any classes in the classic sense, but I plan to have a few background options that'll make your character start with various boosts to Stats, Skills, Money, or effectiveness with certain types of equipment. This is probably still going to suck, but hey it'll at least be a new way to make multi-class type characters.

Just as an example of what I mean, here's the fighter/rogue breakdown:
Fighter
Weapon
Shotgun
--Sure Strike
--Tide of Iron
--Combat Challenge Class Feature

Armor
Heavy
--Comeback Strike

Special
Targeting H.U.D.
--Covering Attack
--Combat Superiority Class Feature
--Fighter Weapon Talent Class Feature

Adrenaline Pump
--Unstoppable

Rogue
Weapon
Rifle
--Piercing Strike
--First Strike Class Feature

Armor
Light
--Deft Strike
--Artful Dodger Class Feature

Special
Flash Rounds
--Positioning Strike

Remote Shock Darts
--Trick Strike

Stealth Band
--Fleeting Ghost

Enhanced Optics
--Rogue Weapon Talent Class Feature
--Sneak Attack Class Feature

Now, this all leaves room for some wackiness, like a heavy armored, sneak attacking, flamethrower toting brute, but I think I'm okay with that. Just gotta work on redesigning the powers to fit thematically and to work with ranged weaponry and such. I'm also going to pull some random powers from other sources to spice thing up. I especially need to add in some melee options, because what sci-fi rag-tag crew of mercenaries doesn't have the crazy dude with a katana?

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

wallawallawingwang posted:

A few years back I did some reverse engineering on the 4e weapons. This is what I came up with:
Weapons are built with points.

I'll have to dig through this more to see if it fits my needs, but you may have just saved me a boatload of time right here. I hope you're cool with me borrowing this info.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

I'm probably going to just ignore ammo for the time being. I was thinking about having a system where if you attacked multiple times in a turn for any reason you'd have to spend time reloading, but we'll just have to see. I really like your clip idea walla, very elegant.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

So, as I usually do in these contests, I'm growing to hate my original concept. Sure, it sounded neat to me at first, but it's sort of become a complicated way to make multiclass characters. So, scratching that. Now I'm working on something else I probably won't finish either. Going to make a sci-fi, 4e powered ragtag starship crew game. Going to keep some of my ideas about gear-based powers, but now they will be more specific to the classes. So while two classes may have access to a Pistol type weapon, the specific powers it grants will be different.

Why am I so bad at sticking with one idea?

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Ok, so I keep flipping back and forth on how I want to do things. Initially I started with essentially reskinning the Bard, Ranger, Fighter and Wizard classes to match my theme. That just felt a bit boring. Then I thought I'd try to get them super simple and stripped down. I wasn't happy because I just felt the balance was going to be off for me. So now I'm doing something kinda half-way. I'm taking features and overall power themes from the classes I want and either modifying them to fit the theme (reskin) or stripping them down to the basics. The balance might still be a bit off, but meh, can't say the base game is super balanced as is.
I did kind of come up with what I think is a neat way to do my defender class. I really wanted to come up with a way to eliminate out of turn actions. So, no more Opportunity Attacks. Someone earlier suggested auto damage. That's perfect for my needs, but I thought I could take it further. For example, a fighter-type should be able to stop enemies from getting past them right? This is handled in D&D with the Combat Superiority feature by forcing an enemy hit by an OA to stop moving. But I don't want to have to interrupt the action to roll, so that won't work. Instead, my defender class, the Gunner, will have a pool of "Threat Points". Here's an excerpt from the Gunner entry:

The Gunner
Features
  • Threat Points - The Gunner has a pool of points, called Threat Points. The starting pool is equal to your Level + your Wisdom. This pool refills completely after a short rest. You also regain 1 Threat Point any time an enemy is reduced to 0 HP.
  • Threaten area - Any enemy entering or leaving a square adjacent to you, unless they are performing a shift, takes damage equal to your Level + your Strength. You may spend a Threat Point to prevent the enemy from moving. If you have an Overwatch active, using Threaten Area will cancel your Overwatch.
  • Overwatch - At the end of each of your turns, you may choose a square that is in range and line of sight for one of your weapons. Any enemy entering or leaving this square or a square adjacent to it that you can see, unless they are performing a shift, takes damage equal to your Level + your Dexterity. You may spend a threat Point to prevent the enemy from moving.
  • Combat Challenge - Whenever you attack an enemy, whether the attack hits or misses, you can choose to mark that target. The mark lasts until the end of your next turn. The target takes a -2 penalty to any attacks that do not include you as a target. Additionally, you may use the Threaten Area and Overwatch features against targets that are marked by you if they make an attack that doesn’t include you as a target while they are in the affected areas or if they shift into or out of the affected areas.

Additionally, there will be some encounter powers that can be boosted with Threat Points. By the way, Overwatch is my answer to Combat Superiority losing a lot of its benefit in a game that tends towards ranged combat.

So, does this seem alright? Horribly overpowered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

Alright, sorry but I'm bowing out. I have some ideas for what I want to do but nothing is clicking and I've kinda lost interest. So yeah, there's no way I'm gonna finish on time.

• Locked thread