Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

JDG1980 posted:

The timeline of VR technology given in this episode is a bit screwy. Intuitively, you'd think that just cutting off or numbing the pain signals to the brain with a device like this would be much easier than injecting a full VR world experience. Yet apparently in the SAO universe, the VR MMO came first, and the medical applications only later.

You know how it is.

Games are where the big dollars are in fiction.

Not that they aren't in reality but it's not as simple as games = $$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JDG1980 posted:

Maybe I just didn't notice it before, but Asuna's legs look really, really skinny in this episode.

You haven't seen a girl with naturally really skinny legs before? She looks the same as always.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

oohhboy posted:

You haven't seen a girl with naturally really skinny legs before? She looks the same as always.

lol. Look at this guy who likes 3Dpigs, mirite, oohhboy?

No, but really. Everyone is really loving skinny in SAO.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HAHAHA. Yeah, even a built guy like Argil is drawn skinny.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

That was cheap and manipulative, but I am glad that the series is exploring something else other than Kirito being awesome and saving the day.

Next episode: Kirito is awesome and saves the day.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Rexides posted:

That was cheap and manipulative, but I am glad that the series is exploring something else other than Kirito being awesome and saving the day.

Next episode: Kirito is awesome and saves the day.
This is undeniable, but at least Asuna is purposefully and meaningfully using her boyfriend as a resource to get something she wants done. It's a small change, but it at least adds a bit of agency to the old gimmick.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Twiddy posted:

This is undeniable, but at least Asuna is purposefully and meaningfully using her boyfriend as a resource to get something she wants done. It's a small change, but it at least adds a bit of agency to the old gimmick.

It's definitely Asuna solving the 2 + x = 4, "my crippled friend wants to go to school" and "my boyfriend is doing this stuff". So yes she's instrumental to the solution.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

JDG1980 posted:

The timeline of VR technology given in this episode is a bit screwy. Intuitively, you'd think that just cutting off or numbing the pain signals to the brain with a device like this would be much easier than injecting a full VR world experience. Yet apparently in the SAO universe, the VR MMO came first, and the medical applications only later.

Your forgetting that Kayaba is some kinda of Stephen Hawking level super genus, who single-handedly comes up with all the brain science (not to mention hardware, program languages, OS, and fully functionally AI) behind VR solely to build SAO.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How badly did they kick the dog in the LN or is asking this currently still spoiler for coming episodes?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Hagop posted:

Your forgetting that Kayaba is some kinda of Stephen Hawking level super genus, who single-handedly comes up with all the brain science (not to mention hardware, program languages, OS, and fully functionally AI) behind VR solely to build SAO.

Yeah, if Kayaba had been born a few decades earlier he'd have been inspired by Star Trek and built mars rockets and poo poo. Instead he got inspired by D&D and made his awesomefantasysettingdonotsteal real by basically inventing fully immersive VR. And then using it to kill a bunch of people.

I guess they might have been death rockets instead.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

He was probably inspired by WoW, that's why he wanted to build his own MMO that would kill all the people serious enough about MMOs to buy it at launch day.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

oohhboy posted:

How badly did they kick the dog in the LN or is asking this currently still spoiler for coming episodes?

There is only one small thing that they skipped that could potentially come up in the next episode, so I'll refrain from including it.

LN differences:

Yuuki's mother didn't want to kill just herself but also her whole family.
She's been taking NRTIs since she was a child, and its alluded that she suffered from powerful side effects.
Yuuki was harassed and ran out of school during 4th grade and her family was forced to move.
The stress from being harassed and forced to move weakened the immune system and caused HIV to become AIDS.
Became infected with pneumonia and throat candida 3.5 years ago, which started her hospitalization.
Currently infected with human CMV and NTM, which has made her blind.
Suffers from encephalitis and cannot move anymore.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nalin posted:

There is only one small thing that they skipped that could potentially come up in the next episode, so I'll refrain from including it.

LN differences:

She's been taking NRTIs since she was a child, and its alluded that she suffered from powerful side effects.
Yuuki was harassed and ran out of school during 4th grade and her family was forced to move.
The stress from being harassed and forced to move weakened the immune system and caused HIV to become AIDS.
Became infected with pneumonia and throat candida 3.5 years ago, which started her hospitalization.

That's horrifying.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Nalin posted:

LN differences:

http://vimeo.com/96581518

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's also the main reason I didn't like Mother's Rosario because going into detail about it doesn't make it any less cheap.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Shyrka posted:

Yeah, if Kayaba had been born a few decades earlier he'd have been inspired by Star Trek and built mars rockets and poo poo. Instead he got inspired by D&D and made his awesomefantasysettingdonotsteal real by basically inventing fully immersive VR. And then using it to kill a bunch of people.

I guess they might have been death rockets instead.

To be fair his intent was just to make a living world not a realistic game. Real death was just a unfortunate consequence of that process.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nalin posted:

LN differences:

lol and I thought what I saw in the episode was overblown

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nalin posted:

LN differences:

:stonk:
That went from kicking the dog to beating the dead horse into mince

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The author deserves some credit for not just giving her vague pseudo-tuberculosis, though.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

Silver2195 posted:

The author deserves some credit for not just giving her vague pseudo-tuberculosis, though.

They lay it on super thick, but yeah, I agree.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This ended up actually being a really sweet episode. Asuna's talk with her mom and the resolution also worked much better than I had thought, and definitely made her mom much more human.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Not done watching yet but I would like to mention that I know that loving program Asuna's mom is using! Its called Slack and its really good, I'm shocked she'd be using it but even more shocked with the attention to detail the animators have.

e: And then there was much rejoicing!

I think LiSa sings the ED, I must acquire it.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 14, 2014

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think LiSa sings the ED, I must acquire it.

She does. Aniplex of America put it up worldwide on itunes.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
So the whole mechatronics thing Kirito has been working on is just a webcam with a mic. I thought it would atleast give Yuuki the equivalent vision of human eyes but nope, she just sees a screen through a webcam.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So was Asuna really about to say that two girls can't get married?

Is that a weird Japan thing?

EDIT: Ah, never mind. I see now it isn't legal in Japan. Should have just Googled about it first.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 14, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cute n Popular posted:

So the whole mechatronics thing Kirito has been working on is just a webcam with a mic. I thought it would atleast give Yuuki the equivalent vision of human eyes but nope, she just sees a screen through a webcam.

He's clearly planning to get Yui a real movable body some day, but his first step is getting a VR world to RL world connection working, and doing that requires using existing tech, hence the webcams. I'm sure he'll get full mecha-Yui done eventually (though whether or not it is within the scope of the series or years down the line, I dunno) but whatever he comes up with won't be fast enough for Yuuki, I expect.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Raxivace posted:

Is that a weird Japan thing?

EDIT: Ah, never mind. I see now it isn't legal in Japan. Should have just Googled about it first.

I also imagine that Asuna is probably straight as a nail and is probably just awkwardly deflecting as she's already married to Kirito.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not done watching yet but I would like to mention that I know that loving program Asuna's mom is using! Its called Slack and its really good, I'm shocked she'd be using it but even more shocked with the attention to detail the animators have.

That seems like a pretty cool product. When I first saw it on screen, it stuck out to me as something that looked too well designed to be made up just for an anime. It definitely looked like it was based off something.

Raxivace posted:

An interesting bit of trivia is that in the SAO timeline, its no longer illegal in the United States. Japan still isn't quite there yet.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I'm going to be really sad if Yuuki ends up being dead in the next episode after all this.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

"I don't want to hear something you can't say face-to-face"
*continues reading work updates on Slack.com*

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm really glad that these last two arcs haven't ended in EXTREME RAPEFACE.

JDG1980
Dec 27, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

"I don't want to hear something you can't say face-to-face"
*continues reading work updates on Slack.com*

Obviously it's not communications technology in general that Asuna's mom has a problem with, it's VR in particular. From her perspective, that's completely understandable; Asuna was in a VR coma for over two years, then woke up a completely different person with new friends, new interests, a new outlook on life. That's got to be freaky and disorienting to her parents.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Before: "Even though I am obviously not happy about it, I am willing to marry the first wealthy, insane, murderous rape-happy Mengele who comes along. Beep boop I am (impersonating) a robot."
After: "Goddamn lady you are nuts. Go gently caress yo self, I'm boning a Gary Stu and we've already adopted a child/sentient program. Also, I've discovered the concept of empathy, which I obviously never learned in this shitheap."

I can see why she would be concerned.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I like to think that internet marriages will become the next political hot topic in-universe because of this. :allears:
Of course I also like to think that it's impossible to consummate because it's like the cooking and really stripped down from reality, like sub-Sims level of detail and it's impossible to take off underwear like every video game ever. I have put in way too much thought into how to make anime boning hilarious, I think.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ManlyGrunting posted:

I like to think that internet marriages will become the next political hot topic in-universe because of this. :allears:
Of course I also like to think that it's impossible to consummate because it's like the cooking and really stripped down from reality, like sub-Sims level of detail and it's impossible to take off underwear like every video game ever. I have put in way too much thought into how to make anime boning hilarious, I think.

TWO YEARS WORTH OF SEMEN

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Your avatar makes the post so much better.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

SAO v1.27.94324 Patch Notes.txt posted:

Bugfix: Players should now be able to stifle their tears.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I want to hate Kirito because he's so bland but I can't because duel-wielding is ~SO AWESOME~

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

I want to hate Kirito because he's so bland but I can't because duel-wielding is ~SO AWESOME~

Speaking of bland ubermesch protagonists, I was talking about the end of the most recent arc with a friend recently, and it occurred to me that while having Kirito be all awesome and whip up a quick shoulder-cam gadget for Yuuki was pretty eye-rolling, it was still better than what loving Mahouka would have done...

In another, terrible reality... posted:

"Onii-sama, I'm sad. I just discovered my friend is terribly sick with AIDS and cannot attend school..." *single perfect tear*
"Oh Miyuki you foolish girl. Why did you not speak to me sooner? Excuse me." *flies off screen*
*returns* "There, sister. I have cured AIDS with a project I was working on in my spare time. The antiviral was made from the blood of filthy Chinese!"
"Oh onii-sama!" *incest intensifies*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

It was a good strategy for Asuna to not mention that that her attachment to that house is also because that's where she boned her internet husband for a few weeks straight, and where she adopted an AI.

• Locked thread