Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Soylentbits posted:

I think it's probably more fair to say that American attitudes towards guns are weird. Guns should be terrifying. That's the point.
I am actually European, we have the most sensible attitudes. Japanese are just as crazy as Americans, only in a totally different way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bremen posted:

I'm starting to understand how all the show only viewers in the Attack on Titan thread felt.
If you want to avoid spoilers, it would probably be best to avoid this whole thread entirely. I doubt it will get better as the season progresses.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nalin posted:

If you want to avoid spoilers, it would probably be best to avoid this whole thread entirely. I doubt it will get better as the season progresses.

Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to do. Pity, since laughing at the first season was great fun.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wait, so does sword art online II have zero swords?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Not zero (Kirito), but they're playing a Gun Game now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's basically MMO Borderlands. It's got some melee weapons and attacks but they're not a focus.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Its Metal Gear online with Raiden expansion.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's combat is Gunz the Duel, where the players only use European style, while Kirito is the only K-Style player.

The world style is Guild Wars 2.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I like to think of it as everyone else playing the game dual analog style and Kirito's just running around playing it like an Elder Scrolls game, wondering what the gently caress everyone else is doing.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The first episode could have started with Kirito cutting a motherfucker in half with his lightsaber and I wouldn't care less about the missing exposition. In fact, the more they try to justify it, the more ridiculous the whole premise becomes.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Really just any way besides how it did start. Vomiting information all over the viewer in, I imagine intentionally, the laziest way possible does not make a good first episode. If anything else had happened in the show I'd mention how incredibly stupid the bullet coming out of the Ethernet port was. As it stands it was the only time when two people weren't monologuing at each other.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

So I just watched the first series, and I was wondering, is there a like production/behind-the-scenes reason for the arc jump?

Like it felt really abrupt, and narratively not quite right that Kirito discovers Healthcliff/Kayaba only to immediately defeat him.

I was just getting a feel for the recurring characters, and we'd just gotten back from the lake aside, and then it ends.

The most annoying thing about it was that the world of ALfheim Online felt artificial, it felt like a flimsy replacement of the world and experience of SAO (which I guess is the case in terms of the code etc of the virtual reality).

So was there a reason for the SAO arc to be, what felt like to me, cut short? Something to do with the publishing or something?

Edit: oh and all those ALO support characters and poo poo were mad creepy/gross

Hocus Pocus fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 9, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Hocus Pocus posted:

So I just watched the first series, and I was wondering, is there a like production/behind-the-scenes reason for the arc jump?

Like it felt really abrupt, and narratively not quite right that Kirito discovers Healthcliff/Kayaba only to immediately defeat him.

I was just getting a feel for the recurring characters, and we'd just gotten back from the lake aside, and then it ends.

The most annoying thing about it was that the world of ALfheim Online felt artificial, it felt like a flimsy replacement of the world and experience of SAO (which I guess is the case in terms of the code etc of the virtual reality).

So was there a reason for the SAO arc to be, what felt like to me, cut short? Something to do with the publishing or something?

The author basically wrote that first arc as his book entry for a contest. His book ended up exceeding the page limit, so he just went ahead and published it online as a web novel. And then it got super popular, so he basically got commissioned to write more. So basically it's essentially a first draft that tells a more or less complete story plot-wise. A couple of the side stories actually came from later books, and he's actually gone back to write more material for that first arc.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Hocus Pocus posted:

The first book was a short novel for a competition, and it worked well for that format. Many of the episodes in the first arc were actually side-stories written much later and were an attempt to flesh out the original story.

EDIT: Beaten!

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Ah okay, thanks! I was hoping there was an explanation for what seems like such a sudden gear shift, and turns out there is!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Aside from continuing his current storyline, the author is also rewriting the original story under the name SAO Progressive in order to flesh it out as well as make modifications.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Paper Lion posted:

You took the bait, that guy clearly just wiki'd everything and posted untagged spoilers pretending to be speculation. Try to avoid responding to that stuff I guess

Actually I haven't looked into anything for SAO but it appears I'm right based on the replies. But look at the facts we've been presented so far.
1) The hardware has been modified to disallow killing, this is confirmed by our mary sue protagonist and other people like that investigator.

2) We got introduced to a group that loves to kill in the SAO arc. There is the investigation that introduces Kirito and Asuna then We get the failed assassination on Kirito that was stopped by Asuna and then nothing, no response or even contemplation about the group afterwards.
3) The group we got introduced to had people in players who were in the raid group, they were top shelf players and killers. Not some lowbie gank squad like that one woman's crew. People like that float to the top in any game, they go out of their way to learn mechanics and strange poo poo they can exploit.

It has to be related to Kirito somehow because he is the mary sue and everything revolves around him.

Watch some loving Murder She Wrote man, get good at solving mysteries.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Hocus Pocus posted:

Ah okay, thanks! I was hoping there was an explanation for what seems like such a sudden gear shift, and turns out there is!

The original story is the first episode, then it jumps to where Kirito is about to get murdered and Asuna has to save him and continues from there. Everything between was a side story and Alfheim was already explained by Allarion

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

Aside from continuing his current storyline, the author is also rewriting the original story under the name SAO Progressive in order to flesh it out as well as make modifications.

Amuses me how its gone from "Kirito the lone beater" to "Kirito the guy who hangs out with asuna all the time."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

.Clash posted:

Amuses me how its gone from "Kirito the lone beater" to "Kirito the guy who hangs out with asuna all the time."

The progressive manga did a really good job with the second floor boss by making Asuna the protagonist.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

So, episode 2 was just a few pages of the book. This is going to go at a glacial pace isn't it? :sigh:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Well it looks like that this could be a good show if they kicked out Kirito and his harem and made that sniper the main character. Just like Asuna in the old series, I suppose.

also, Silica's reintroduction: :negative:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I liked episode two a lot, the mix of GGO's combat mechanics with how eerily similar to EVE-Online's PvP was.. Ambushing dudes coming back from a complex? Been there!

I wouldn't be surprised if the girl had a feat to avoid falling damage, what better way for a lonewolf character to maneuver around really well?

Otherwise the OP has me excited for lightsaber jedi combat.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It feels like they must be leaving out a lot of information that would have been conveyed in the narration of the novel. Why didn't Sinon warn the others about minigun guy? Why didn't she just keep sniping from a distance? Having overwatch from a flanking angle would have been far more beneficial than running into cover alongside them. Almost every decision made by her and her team in that fight looked really stupid.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Yeah the LN has dozens of paragraphs of Sinon's inner monologue about the fight and how it all just goes to poo poo.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sindai posted:

It feels like they must be leaving out a lot of information that would have been conveyed in the narration of the novel. Why didn't Sinon warn the others about minigun guy? Why didn't she just keep sniping from a distance? Having overwatch from a flanking angle would have been far more beneficial than running into cover alongside them. Almost every decision made by her and her team in that fight looked really stupid.

It seemed obvious to me, considering how we can infer some things from how combat in GGO works now:

1. The more powerful support weapons have some degree of lag or warning of where they're aimed.
2. Minigun guy could dodge her long range sniping, just as how some of her team could sometimes dodge his minigun.
3. By the time she noticed his minigun I think he was pretty much already firing and she couldn't accurately hit him from long range anymore.
4. Likewise once surprise is lost the minigunner's team was in cover and likely couldn't be sniped effectively anymore, and they [the laseriliers] weren't the threat anyways.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I don't think the writer of this has ever played a team based shooter before. Or wasn't good at them if he has.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I have a feeling Destiny will be a disappointing game as a result of this show...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Blhue posted:

I don't think the writer of this has ever played a team based shooter before. Or wasn't good at them if he has.

I matches up with EVE Online fairly well.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

It seemed obvious to me, considering how we can infer some things from how combat in GGO works now:

1. The more powerful support weapons have some degree of lag or warning of where they're aimed.
2. Minigun guy could dodge her long range sniping, just as how some of her team could sometimes dodge his minigun.
3. By the time she noticed his minigun I think he was pretty much already firing and she couldn't accurately hit him from long range anymore.
4. Likewise once surprise is lost the minigunner's team was in cover and likely couldn't be sniped effectively anymore, and they [the laseriliers] weren't the threat anyways.

They might explain the combat mechanics next episode in more detail, but once you aim at someone they will see a "bullet prediction line" which will show the path the bullet will take. The sniper rifles have an advantage that the first shot they make will not have that line.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Demicol posted:

They might explain the combat mechanics next episode in more detail, but once you aim at someone they will see a "bullet prediction line" which will show the path the bullet will take. The sniper rifles have an advantage that the first shot they make will not have that line.

They briefly referred to that: a minute without shooting will reset the "ambush" property of sniper rifles. Which is why she never bothered trying to shoot from the same place more than once. Essentially there are some pretty weird mechanics in this game (designed by the author to give Kirito an edge, of course).

Best part of the episode is Sinon exploiting monster AI to shoot it from a place it can't path to.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Clarste posted:

They briefly referred to that: a minute without shooting will reset the "ambush" property of sniper rifles. Which is why she never bothered trying to shoot from the same place more than once. Essentially there are some pretty weird mechanics in this game (designed by the author to give Kirito an edge, of course).

Best part of the episode is Sinon exploiting monster AI to shoot it from a place it can't path to.

You see, that mechanic is actually quite an interesting one for balancing sniper rifles in videogames. For example, take the newly released Sniper Elite 3: It does have a rudimentary relocation system, but it doesn't come with all that many penalties, and in fact in Multiplayer relocating just gives you a bonus to the amount of points and XP the player receives when they get another kill.

Plus, it seems like a good anti-hacking measure too, since players can see where others are aiming. This is probably one of the better thought out elements of the story.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Demicol posted:

This is the most retarded gameplay mechanic I've ever heard, and I play WoT.

That firefight was excruciating because I was constantly thinking stuff like "use some smoke grenades you retards, create your own cover", "have 3 guys provide support fire and 3 others flank, this ain't rocket surgery" or "how hard can it be to hit human sized targets 20 meters away?". I can understand that there are actually some rather obtuse gameplay mechanics in MMORPGs and the like, but seeing stuff like this happen in what should be a FPS is just plain weird. Well at least it was compensated by XxX_Sh1n0N_420_XxX_[MLG] using the try-hardest, most MLG-tier hilariously dumb loadout consisting of what is most likely the biggest rifle in the game and a Glock 18.

Also to note is how brown and boring the FPS is, contrasting with how vibrant and colorfull the RPG is, the author must not like FPSs at all.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The whole bullet prediction thing felt quite well explained in the show to be honest, dude sees a red line, steps to the side, and Shinon isn't "oh my god I missed" shocked, shes just "poo poo I can't kill this dude" shocked, which tipped me off that this was a feature and not a hack on the part of minigun dude.

Important thing to note is that those red lines become pointless when you're shooting from out of someone's FoV, which I think was the initial reason Shinon wanted to get up in that building. Get high enough and she would be able to hit him without him seeing the red prediction line.

Its a pretty interesting concept, considering one of the most common complaints about snipers is how its frustration-gameplay to get shot seemingly out of nowhere and be unable to even retaliate.

Shinon seems like a interesting character too, even if she only had about 6 lines including internal monologue. Hopefully Kirito doesn't steal the spotlight and demote her to harem mem- oh wait no of course he is its SAO.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

WitchFetish posted:

Also to note is how brown and boring the FPS is, contrasting with how vibrant and colorfull the RPG is, the author must not like FPSs at all.

GGO apparently just aims for a gritty sci-fi aesthetic I think. The scenery sounded interesting enough in the novel so hopefully whenever Kirito gets off his rear end and gets in the game there'll be some nice backgrounds.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

WitchFetish posted:

This is the most retarded gameplay mechanic I've ever heard, and I play WoT.

That firefight was excruciating because I was constantly thinking stuff like "use some smoke grenades you retards, create your own cover", "have 3 guys provide support fire and 3 others flank, this ain't rocket surgery" or "how hard can it be to hit human sized targets 20 meters away?". I can understand that there are actually some rather obtuse gameplay mechanics in MMORPGs and the like, but seeing stuff like this happen in what should be a FPS is just plain weird. Well at least it was compensated by XxX_Sh1n0N_420_XxX_[MLG] using the try-hardest, most MLG-tier hilariously dumb loadout consisting of what is most likely the biggest rifle in the game and a Glock 18.

It's not an FPS, it's a gun RPG. Where good weapons are rare drops from monsters. There's probably an accuracy stat that prevents people from hitting with cheap weapons. Also real money AH. Pay2Win.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Conot posted:

Hopefully Kirito doesn't steal the spotlight and demote her to harem mem- oh wait no of course he is its SAO.

Yup, spot on there.
But I just don't understand all the Sinon love here. She's fairly dull in my opinion, with the dullest most wafer thin motives, character, and she doesn't even look that cool, even with what little we've seen of her in the anime. At least all the other characters have emotions and character.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
If there isn't someone doing a hot MLG Pro 360 noscope somewhere in this dumb anime I'm going to be so mad. But yeah, throughout episode 2 I was waiting for actual tactics from something like Jormungand.

Also, was it really necessary to provide that 10 minutes of context to the ambush?

ps. eagerly waiting the duel between Kirto Skywalker and Darth Death Gunkata

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Clarste posted:

It's not an FPS, it's a gun RPG. Where good weapons are rare drops from monsters. There's probably an accuracy stat that prevents people from hitting with cheap weapons. Also real money AH. Pay2Win.

Actually when you put it into that sort of perspective, it makes a lot of sense. Still doesn't sound like something I'd find interesting to play, which is weird because the other fictional games in the previous season seemed awesome (and I don't play RPGs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
SAO was the shittiest idea for a game imaginable. A fantasy MMO where the only classes available are all melee. Ranged options were a joke. Magic was nonexistent. The only buffs and healing came from consumables.

I don't see why anyone would be surprised that GGO is more of the same.

• Locked thread