Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Getting in on this before it gets too crowded with anime-only goons and to parrot that Mother's Rosario was a great story and I'll be really disappointed if it's not in series 2.
I can tell it likely won't and the GGO arc could easily be done in 12 episodes, possibly even 10 :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

GGO owns because Kirito is beating the poo poo out of CS nerds with a lightsaber.

That's... actually the best possible description for the GGO arc.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

YouTuber posted:

I still think the killing via gun in game is just a red herring and it's a two man crew. One doing the theatrics ingame and the other doing something outside of the game. The guy shoots a TV screen not the physical avatar, totally something outside of the game. Probably because they are "pro" they are easily tracked in real life and the crew figures out when the guy is going to be alone playing the game and gets a syringe of special medicine x to gently caress their heart up. Even more likely it's probably one of those red guilds from the first game that never got any resolution. We got introduced to that Laughing Skull guild and nothing ever came of it, gently caress the leader even had a name attached to him.

:siren: Big GGO spoiler alert :siren:You're at least right about the first part. I think it did have something to do with the PK guilds in SAO though, from memory but it's been a while since I read the novels and my memory's kinda hazy on how the GGO arc ended, so I may be wrong.

Sindai posted:

I think at the time someone posted that killing off the PK guilds was a side arcs that didn't make it into the anime. Although it sounds pretty important since it involved Kirito and Asuna murdering people.

Yep, and Kirito was really mind-broken for quite a while after that event too. Understandable, since he was literally murdering people even though the people he ended up killing were murderers themselves. From memory it was in the second novel (the one full of the short stories from Aincrad)

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

It seemed obvious to me, considering how we can infer some things from how combat in GGO works now:

1. The more powerful support weapons have some degree of lag or warning of where they're aimed.
2. Minigun guy could dodge her long range sniping, just as how some of her team could sometimes dodge his minigun.
3. By the time she noticed his minigun I think he was pretty much already firing and she couldn't accurately hit him from long range anymore.
4. Likewise once surprise is lost the minigunner's team was in cover and likely couldn't be sniped effectively anymore, and they [the laseriliers] weren't the threat anyways.

They're doing a pretty horrid job of explaining the mechanics but basically:
1. All weapons have those 'sight lines' so people can judge where their enemy's aim is, since the players each have a device that 'locks on' to the weapons being fired at them by people not in their party. It takes about a minute of inactivity (and no visual of the enemy) for the 'sight lines' to reset, hence the guy's mention of how he was going to guy 60 seconds for Sinon to change firing positions. Sniper rifles are really advantageous thanks to not showing a sight line until they've fired the first round and they can be well out of enemy visuals so it's much easier for them to get the reset and fire off a shot of opportunity. The mechanic also makes it important to flank enemies and get in their blindspots so they don't see the lines incoming.
2. Correct, but projectile weapons (near-instantly applied damage) are much harder to dodge. The long distance between Sinon and Behemoth gives enough time to dodge completely, but up close it's almost impossible unless specced for insane Agility. Behemoth wasn't nearly as successful at dodging up close.
3. Huge plot hole right here, she would've been more useful for her team to keep the sight line trained on Behemoth's head to take his attention away from the approaching group. It's pretty drat hard to evade a sniper whose sight is trained on you while still trying to gun down other foes. Once he got out of her LOS she could've just sniped the rest of the mooks.
4. Energy weapons are slower and easier to stop, but they're primarily PVE weapons that deal massive damage to NPCs, but at close range they become far more deadly (since most NPCs in GGO are melee-focused). Projectile weapons are the favoured for the faster trajectory and aren't blocked by those energy shields, but note how even Sinon's group mentioned it was a bad idea to get too close to them. Their party was hunting carebears, if you've ever played EVE Online you can compare it to going to blow up some dudes mining or running missions in low-sec.

edit: Oh, and the LN would've only been able to cover about 10 episodes tops at a reasonable pace, so yeah they're going to drag this out a lot.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 14, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Srice posted:

I hate to nitpick here but lest the term lose all of its meaning, a character making dumb choices isn't a plot hole!!

It's as much a plot hole as 'why didn't Gandalf summon the great eagles to fly Frodo over to Mt Doom'. The tools for the job were there (great eagles, Sinon's sniper rifle), the characters just didn't make use of what they had at their disposal.Part of the definition of a plot hole involves illogical events, such as the best sniper in GGO deciding to give up a vantage point to try using a sniper rifle at close range.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Bremen posted:

Yeah, the pace seems really slow. Earlier people who had read the books were saying they thought we'd get GGO and the next story arc this season, do people still think that or does it look like they might be trying to stretch it out for the entire season?

They are. All of the GGO arc could be done very comfortably in about 10 episodes, they're really trying to stretch this out to 12-13 and it's painfully obvious.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

What the gently caress. :psyduck:

Whoa, they hosed up big time right there. Good work, A-1 :downsrim:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I guess it's so that if someone walks into your room they can tell if you're playing a game or have fallen asleep with the headset on :shrug:

Pretty sure it wasn't even touched upon in the LNs either so we can't blame this one on the studio messing things up (Unlike the lack of description of GGO's core game mechanics, despite that action scene taking up more than half the episode, and the spoilers in the OP & end of episode 3).

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Don't remind me. They could've at least explained the sight lines since they spent the end of episode 1 and most of episode 2 showing Sinon's rear end skill at GGO.
I guess it makes sense that they sort out most of the game mechanics when Kirito buys his lightsaber and beats the poo poo out of that agility challenge but at least the sightlines could've been elaborated on. Even in this thread we've had a few anime-only goons saying they didn't understand what it was all about, and they can even tell that the pace is being dragged out something fierce.

All of GGO could be summed up comfortably in 10 episodes, tops :colbert:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh hey, SAO II finally hit what should have been episode 2.

EDIT: Haha, what? They didn't even have Kirito monologue about why he's pretending to be a girl? Okay then.

Uh, he kinda did. It was kept to a minimum but I'm pretty sure it was obvious that Sinon was hostile towards guys in-game by the way she spoke when Kirito called out to her. Not even Kirito's that dense as to be unable to read the mood.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Myurton posted:

I also loved that he had to make his light sabers hilt black. Too bad he couldn't choose a custom blade colour and made that black as well.

Purple works better for his crossdressing avatar.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Feed Me A Cat posted:

Kirito hitting Y when Sinon started walking over, leaving his personal information blank, is now a plot point. Fantastic writing right there :downs:

He was visibly hesitant to enter the info in anyway. As tempted by the prize as he was, if it wasn't an IRL one he would lose it as soon as he transfers back to ALO.
At least stuff's finally happening in the anime though, but there's only about 4-5 episodes' worth of content left of this arc so they might have to slam on the breaks again to make it last for 12 episodes.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Caros posted:

This really does kinda bug me every time I think about it. Even if most players didn't want to say a drat thing about it, you have to assume at least a couple of people would come out of the game and think to sell the tale, if only because two years in a videogame isn't exactly good work experience.

There is literally a school for VR-imprisoned youth in the novels to help fast-track people through the years of schooling they missed, or in the case of older people like Klein, give them a brief heads-up on what's significantly changed in the real world.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

XboxPants posted:

That was in the anime, too, though I guess they didn't go into that much detail on it.

Oh right, I completely forgot it was mentioned so I spoilered it anyway. The lack of detail explains why I didn't remember it

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Shere posted:

The small part where the good guys have the one LC dude dead to rights, but none of them wanted to deal the killing blow, so they all died for it? That was neat in the way in painted their weird rear end situation.
[/spoiler]

In all fairness, those good guys weren't mentally prepared to become murderers. Most people in that situation would reasonably expect the LC guy to surrender, given how he was so close to death. LC dude took a chance and it worked, until he messed with Kirito. Even if it's a game, their actions can still directly end the life of a real person.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

There's another arc that's getting adapted once GGO ends (which realistically only needs 2 more episodes, 3 at most).

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Just a reminder the Sword Art game comes to all of us on our PS Vita's. If you love Kirito and his adventures like I do then you can purchase it on release tomorrow for 40 bucks and get right to marrying your favorite sister-cousin-blacksmith-little girl-waifus with an rpg attached to it. It's like playing Persona 4 again, but better because you're Kirito.

Sold.
English subs are still in the Taiwanese version, right? Or was a legit subbed US release announced since then?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cheers, I missed the news on that one.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Thoren posted:

The tournament started at 8pm Japanese time which wouldn't make sense for American players.

It would be around a 5am-8am start for American players which isn't unrealistic if there's a considerable presence in both timezones.
EDIT: It would work better for it to be the other way around (5-8pm for America, 8am for Japan) but then the tournament would be on day 'x' in the US and on 'x+1' in Japan, which would split the dates and potentially cause confusion with advertising the tournament time. Having most games use the American m/d/y format is confusing enough already.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 28, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Feed Me A Cat posted:

:spergin: about date format: seems like the ideal format would be year/month/day. When you're sorting by date modified, your computer is basically doing that behind the scenes, regardless of how it's presented to the user.
That's actually what Japan use for their date format. Signing up for a lot of online services usually throw the mm/dd/yy format at me when asking for a DOB. Then again, SAO is set in the future so maybe the world's sorted out all that 'different for the sake of being different' poo poo between countries.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Thoren posted:

Kirito kept touching Shinon this last episode. I swear there were about 8-12 touches. That made me more uncomfortable than the blatant fanservice in No Game No Life.
If teenagers touching in a non-sesxual way makes you more uncomfortable than a consistently naked 12-year old, I have some news for you :pedo:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

Maybe Strength also scales weapon damage? like 10 str does 10 damage but 15 str gets you 16?
For melee weapons, probably. For guns it probably affects recoil and muzzle climb instead.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

poo poo, I completely forgot about that part! :downs:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

CrazySalamander posted:

This. We need to make a time machine and force the animators to make an anime about an awesome esport tournament instead of SAO2.

e:also to kill hitler, remember, you must always kill hitler.
Everyone always forgets Stalin. Seriously, take a detour and kill him while you're at it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Thunk posted:

Well, he did grow up to write Accel Saga World, which... actually has all the wrong things in common with SAO now that I think about it, but it's definitely an improvement.
You'd think that, until you discover that Kirito was the guy that made the VR technology used in Accel World :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Verizian posted:

Plus most people probably thought they just watched two girls slaughter a sperglord wearing a skullmask who's name was Death in German.

Also, one 'girl' giving another one a lap pillow in a cave while the big, bad men are busy fighting eachother...
All the guys cheering are deep in the yuri camp.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

As someone who does Judo. No. No you wouldn't. The only way to get good at grappling is to do a lot of grappling.

^This guy has it right. Being a really good swordsman (who hasn't properly practiced kendo in several years) doesn't make you a god-tier knuckle-brawler. Being a god-tier knuckle-brawler does though, funnily enough :v:

Give Kirito a shinai and he'll put up a better fight, though.

Babelfish incoming! I'm all for more mindless fun, but hopefully the translation isn't as atrocious this time.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Might have been some last-hit bonus loot or something, you know, the SAO mechanic that was entirely forgotten once Kirito got his edgy, black coat after beating the first boss.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

nielsm posted:

My understanding is that the saving Tonkii took place weeks or months before the GGO things, possibly only shortly after the entire saving-Asuna ordeal.
Saving Tonkii was before they saved Asuna, right after Kirito beat up that Salamander dude who has the shield-ignoring hax-blade.

Azubah posted:

Already this sounds way cooler than the GGO arc.
The GGO arc was way cooler in the LN, the adaptation was plagued with horrendous pacing issues and they threw gratuitous amounts of Sinon rear end-shots to keep people interested. Calibur is looking promising though, and Mother's Rosario is a good story where Kirito actually loses a fight! :aaaaa:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Myriad Truths posted:

Well, it was just a setup for Sinon being a badass so I think it's pretty forgivable.
If only some of Sinon's badassness came up in the GGO adaptation :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

BambooEarpick posted:

Wait, Asuna is a caster class, right?

But her physical DPS is enough to down a raid boss by herself?

Nerf inc.
She has the nickname of 'berserk healer' for a reason :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Snow Halation posted:

As an Asuna fan, I've been waiting for this arc. I just love the family relationship she has with Kirito and Yui. I'll admit that I got a little teary-eyed when they re-bought their house.

I'd kill for a shoujo manga adaption of the Aincrad arc from Asuna's POV.
Kirito's a character that belongs in a shoujo series as a main love interest so this would work.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Not done watching yet but I would like to mention that I know that loving program Asuna's mom is using! Its called Slack and its really good, I'm shocked she'd be using it but even more shocked with the attention to detail the animators have.
"I don't want to hear something you can't say face-to-face"
*continues reading work updates on Slack.com*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Your avatar makes the post so much better.

• Locked thread