Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yo that video was still really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Glad to hear that! The last level is pretty talky so getting that out shoudn't be too hard.

Kibayasu posted:

Also note that it checkpoints between every wave. Try to learn from that nearly every single other loving developer.
This is a really good point that I forgot to mention. The fight can easily take 10+ minutes and especially with the last wave sudden death is more than likely; it's really nice to know you don't have to replay the entire thing.
Another side effect of that is that since the game allows you to load from any checkpoint, you can actually use this to practice the different waves. Should you, for some unfathomable reason, decide to tackle the game on Heroic, this is a godsend.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Checkpoints and how and when and where they should be used is an ongoing matter of extremely virulent debate amongst game designers around the world. About the only thing I know for sure is that everyone agrees that checkpoints are good but nobody can agree as to exactly why and thus how best to use them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You could do with a little more audio ducking Anilehilated.
Had a bit of trouble making out what you say in some parts.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 11, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. Thing is, I'm still learning how to do most of the stuff - there's actually a couple things I've been making quieter already, like turret fire and berserker explosions, but I'm having a difficult time establishing what does and doesn't qualify as too loud. Not to wave the "THIS IS MY FIRST LP DEAL WITH IT" flag (too obviously), but there's a lot of stuff I'm trying to improve steadily.
Honestly, I thought autoducking was mostly frowned upon here, but I'll definitely look at it, if not for this LP (which is almost over) then for the next one, whenever that may happen.
That being said, I'm definitely thankful for the suggestion and keep them criticims coming.

edit: Just don't expect me to act on it anytime soon.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 11, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You just need a hair more, nothing too drastic where it flips to your voice overpowering the game's audio but a tiny bit more would be great.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
I liked this chapter more than many others, because it was so fast-paced, fitting well with the hectic nature of the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just dropping by to say that I updated the second post with all the in-game descriptions of the guns; some of them are actually fairly funny. I still suggest reading them in a thick offensive Chinese accent though.
Also the final chapter is recorded so the video should be there next week.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You know what, screw this, here's Chapter 17: If This Is Victory...
We're at the end of the game, folks. There's going to be some bonus content but I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you.
To clarify, my schedule's going to be all kinds of hosed up in the next few weeks so I figure it's better to get the LP done and it's not like we've been having more discussion. This should spawn at least some plottalk.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 14, 2014

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Thank you for playing this game. Your LP was the reason I bought and played this. Unexpectedly good story and pretty great gameplay, so thanks for getting me into it.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
This has been a loving top LP thankyou

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Excellent, EXCELLENT work, anilEhilated. I loved the ending, and especially loved re-watching the intro right after, as it becomes much more meaningful once you know how the story plays out.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

This is ultimately why I loved this game and why it will be one of my favorite games of all time. It is action packed from start to finish, and the climax isn't full of explosions and the guy getting the girl... it ends in tragedy. Kind of makes you question everything you did in the game, and whether you were in the right or not.

Another thing to note, now that we've seen the ending, isn't it interesting how the Whisperers are designed and modeled, seemingly after Houji's sister? I always thought it quite interesting myself.

Thanks for the wonderful ride through this awesome game again anilEhilated! You showed it off in a superb manner.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'll agree that Hoji is, indeed, the bigger bad guy in the end. I mean, Enra invaded the Earth killed who knows how many people so gently caress him, but in the end it was all because Hoji is a love spurned child that would kill his entire world and the person he loves just for revenge against one person. Everyone but Xing's head turned out to be an rear end in a top hat although I guess Lo Wang turned into slightly less of an rear end in a top hat.

As for the voice actors, I actually recognized Lo Wang's from Waking Mars where he voiced the main character, a Chinese (I think) astronaut.

Thanks for the LP.

By the way I don't remember anything happening at the end of the credits but it does slowly zoom back into Lo Wang.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
I'm still working on that katana skins video! Honest! The only reason I never did it in a day or two and wrapped it up nice and neat is that I'm a terrible procrastinator. But I have finally started actual work on it, so it'll be in shortly.

Also, though I didn't stick around long enough to see so myself, I've read somewhere that, when the credits flyover gets back to Lo Wang and Ammeona, the scene will have changed, and it does this several times. Perhaps something to cut up and put in at the start of a bonus video?

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Hoji nooooooooooooo. :cry:

Man I found this game unexpectedly moving.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thanks for showing off this game, it was a blast. Did the makers of this game make anything else?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
With Hoji's motives revealed I think I can now safely say that there were no good guys in this story and that the Shadow Realm is a seriously screwed up place.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Also, though I didn't stick around long enough to see so myself, I've read somewhere that, when the credits flyover gets back to Lo Wang and Ammeona, the scene will have changed, and it does this several times. Perhaps something to cut up and put in at the start of a bonus video?

They do, and i was sort of figuring it would be shown off, but apparantly not :(

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm on the case, the video will be here before you can say "That anilEhilated, he keeps trying to LP a game he doesn't know the basics of" or something along the lines of that. I'm obviously counting on folks' inability to pronounce my name.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 15, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so I let the credits run three times and I don't see any difference. Either I'm blind or it's too subtle for my simple intellect to grasp.
edit: poo poo, reply isn't edit. Also, I guess I'm not patient enough, let's see how long can I let the thing run.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 15, 2014

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I've heard mixed things about the changing credits thing, might have a trigger of some sort?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Joke's on you! You said your own name at the end of the video. Saying your name now to complain about the bonus not being up is a cinch!

Thanks for the great LP. I wouldn't have given this game a second look, but for this thread.

That ending was great though. Super well done.
Just a question though, was it ever stated or severely hinted at who Enra intended to sacrifice?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veloxyll posted:

Just a question though, was it ever stated or severely hinted at who Enra intended to sacrifice?

Don't think so, in fact he seemed to be dead set against sacrificing anyone so he might have been trying to look for a loophole.

After doing some internet searching about the credits thing apparently what is supposed to happen is that when the camera pans back Lo Wang is kneeling over Ammeona's body, then when it pans back a second time Lo Wang is gone leaving the Nobitsura Kage stabbed into the stone next to Ammeona's body. Multiple people claim this happens and multiple people claim they can't get it to happen so I'm guessing it's a little bugged.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 15, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think he didn't care who was the sacrifice as long as it wasn't himself - my money would be either on Hoji, who wouldn't be a great loss to the realm according to Enra, or Xing, whose body Enra conveniently kept close by.

Anyway, apparently there is supposed to be an after-credits scene, but I can't for the life of me get it to trigger. I guess that's the time to call for audience participation again?

Neruz posted:

After doing some internet searching about the credits thing apparently what is supposed to happen is that when the camera pans back Lo Wang is kneeling over Ammeona's body, then when it pans back a second time Lo Wang is gone leaving the Nobitsura Kage stabbed into the stone next to Ammeona's body. Multiple people claim this happens and multiple people claim they can't get it to happen so I'm guessing it's a little bugged.
I just sat staring at the credits for ten minutes, so I'm going to guess it's on the bugged side. That, or some sort of a highest difficulty reward, in which case it's a dick move supreme.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

anilEhilated posted:

I think he didn't care who was it unless it was him - my money would be either on Hoji, who wouldn't be a great loss to the realm according to Enra, or Xing, whose body Enra conveniently kept close by.

Well no based on what he says to Hoji at the end there it seems like Enra was trying to avoid sacrificing Hoji.

anilEhilated posted:

I just sat staring at the credits for ten minutes, so I'm going to guess it's on the bugged side. That, or some sort of a highest difficulty reward, in which case it's a dick move supreme.

That could well be the case.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Then I'd bet on Xing. Enra doesn't seem the forgiving type and the guy tried to stage a coup d'état.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

anilEhilated posted:

Anyway, apparently there is supposed to be an after-credits scene, but I can't for the life of me get it to trigger. I guess that's the time to call for audience participation again?

It's not really an after credits scene, and I got it on normal.

I think I'm remembering the order right here: the camera keeps zooming out and back again. First time back, what's-her-face has gone, and it's just Lo Wang and Hoji's corpse. Next time round, Lo Wang has gone as well.

Edit: oh, someone said that already. I remember it being more ambiguous, I didn't think her body was there.

Prenton fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 15, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, I just watched that pan about eight times and they're both still sitting there staring at each other. The corpse disappears before the credits, it kind of falls to dust and drifts away as she's holding it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Great LP, props to you anilEhilated.

Tibby
Mar 24, 2004

happy bamboo cup
Well drat, I'll admit I did not come into this LP expecting anything by way of story; colour me impressed :D I'll join the choir here in singing your praises, anilEhilated, excellent LP of a surprisingly good game. I might have to pick it up and play it now...

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The story seems to be the equivalent of helping Loki kill Odin really.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Iretep posted:

The story seems to be the equivalent of helping Loki kill Odin really.
It's got a lot of little details implying those guys are an actual pantheon; consider Hoji falling in love with his sister - a taboo for humans, but gods do it all the time so it doesn't bother the player.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
The voice cast was all from Austin, so if you're not from here, you wouldn't know. Devolver Digital, the game's publisher, is based in Austin, and I believe most if not all came from the Austin-based Collier Talent Agency.

Jason Librecht as Lo Wang: Does an awful lot of anime VO, and was Mordecai in Borderlands 2 and Bane, Eclipso and Hawkman for DC Universe Online.

Alex Dobrenko as Hoji. Already plugged him several pages ago in the thread.

Eugene Lee as Zilla. Artist in residence at Texas State University in San Marcos. Does a lot of TV work.

Albert Im as Miyazaki. Was in Spy Kids 4. Also does standup comedy.

Nicholas Saenz as Enra.

Jennymarie Jemison as Kyoko.

Kelli Bland as Kagami. Has her own Blip.tv show called Weatherman with Kelli Bland.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

When you get control back at the end there, can you choose to just walk away?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Wow, that's a hell of an ending, especially given the game's genre and legacy. Thanks for showing us this game, anilEhilated. It really had no business being this good, but it was in fact that loving good.

But yeah, that ending. It's so subdued, but every second of silence is just so goddamn *powerful*. As everything unfolds (or rather, collapses) in front of you, there is an overwhelming sense of inevitability, and I don't just mean being locked in a cutscene. You're the biggest bad-rear end from the mortal realm, and while it feels like you have been driving the plot all this time, it's here that you finally realize that the ending to this tragedy was decided millennia ago. It's just that the universe is infinitely patient.

I agree about Hoji's voice acting. Just knocked it out of the goddamn park with that final memory. You can hear the hatred simmering under his voice until it boils over with "gently caress the rain!"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Enra was planning to kill Hoji this whole time, which is why he was brought back at Zilla's. I think the biggest rear end in a top hat here is Enra who started this whole loving thing, say what you want about Hoji, but Enra literally cut off Hoji's face because he made his girlfriend / wife / sister happy. That's hosed.

I don't know, I think it speaks about another underlying theme of the game, Free Will. Enra's greatest sin was taking away Hoji and RainWoman's free will, and so the realm suffered for centuries because of it. Hoji feels like he did the same thing to Lo-Wang that Enra did to him, he engineered a situation that took away Wang's choice. The idea that because the woman was happy so now she would never cry is absolutely ridiculous, even for gods. This is why he's willing to die, it's penance, if Hoji believes Enra's greatest sin was taking away Hoji's right to be happy, you can only imagine the guilt he must feel for doing the same to Lo Wang.

The thing is, much like Romeo & Juliet, there's some massive miscommunication, Hoji never realizes that Wang isn't a puppet. Wang willingly chooses Hoji as his master, and follows him because he believes that Hoji is right. They're friends, they have the same personality, and Hoji is, in theory the master Wang needs. (Remember that bit at the beginning about blowing away at the first sign of a breeze?) That's why Wang is so much stronger then all of the other ancients, he even proves it by defeating one without his sword.

Enra is a weak master, which is why Hoji betrays him, he makes decisions that brings the destruction of his world, and his followers all pass away at the first sign of opposition, thematically it's showing you the importance of the first line of the game, and telling you you're in the right. If you were wrong you'd be the one to fall to opposition, but because you are in the right, you do not.

Those swimsuit chicks followed Zilla, and failed repeatedly, the ancients followed Enra, and failed repeatedly, Zilla followed Enra, and failed... Repeatedly. Wang follows Hoji, because Hoji is stronger and smarter, which allows Wang to be the stiff breeze that pulls up everyone elses roots.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
No, what is really hosed up is that the Shadow Realm relies on Ammeona's sadness to survive. If Ammeona ever stops being sad and crying the entire goddamn realm goes to poo poo. That is hosed up.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neruz posted:

No, what is really hosed up is that the Shadow Realm relies on Ammeona's sadness to survive. If Ammeona ever stops being sad and crying the entire goddamn realm goes to poo poo. That is hosed up.

Except the highest mountain took like 200+ years to almost fall apart. It's vastly over stated how her not crying effects the realm.

e: I almost forgot, Wang also puts Hoji's interest over his own, which is really the sign that he's accepted Hoji as his master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, maybe they could just show her the scene where Bambi's mom dies once every hundred years or something. C'mon guys, be scientific about this.

• Locked thread