Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
That's a great OP Alan.

Does Jay Rock plan on putting out an album any time soon or is he just gonna keep owning dudes on their own songs for a while still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Sonically that Boldy James album sounds a lot like the other big album Alchemist did last year, Prodigy's Albert Einstein. I liked both of those a lot.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Lloyd Banks had a decent tape not too long ago called F.N.O. you might want to check out.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

40 lbs to freedom posted:

ive noticed the new soul album just makes me want to listen to whatever style of rap hes trying to emulate. like 30 seconds into twact i turn it off and put on YG and the end of just have fun makes me turn on migos instead. stigmata just makes me wish i was listening to bronson, etc. tree of life and hunnid stacks are the only songs i listen to anymore.

And Hunnid Stacks sounds like a Q song and Twact makes me wish E-40 came on.

I still like it overall but I fully agree

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Hey I liked Shabazz, just posted about it in the old thread :colbert:

Also I really enjoyed that Common album and the production. Does he have similar poo poo in his back catalog?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

There's some rappers I don't like because of their voice or their flows but usually I can see why others would like them. Big Sean seems like he has an idea how to rap, but the results make it seem like writes his lyrics as huge run-on sentences and he just kinda puts emphasis on certain words and calls it a day. Boring as gently caress and ruins any song he's on.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Getting around to listening to that Alex Wiley tape and it's real good, drat. Some of the dreamier production is great.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

This uhhh owns. um, ah, i mean it slaps

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

thathonkey posted:

Just occurred to me that I like this song on its own but would always skip it when listening to the album (despite it being on "the good half") which reminded me how bad the track sequencing on CP is. Also they should have cut like ~7 tracks.

I'm like the only dude I know who likes almost every track based off what I'm reading. "Uno" to "Shame" are all great, though sometimes I'll skip "Knicks" but it's a good smoking song.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Man that new Vic Mensa is great :allears:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I was gonna say Killer Mike still carries that torch. Dude hates the government and cops with a passion

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

GoldLink is great. Kid can spit and the production is nice and upbeat.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

The Kilo Kish K+ EP is really good. I like the song she did with Flatbush Zombies off it. Production is solid too.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Dexo posted:

Hmm, Just got a job offer making around twice what I'm making now, What are some of the best come up tracks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEMsjeq43_U

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Just in time, this is great

What are SGP's best tapes? I've heard BMW 2 and Blackland Radio but neither stood out much and they also sound super lovely/muddy

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Cool, thanks about the SGP. I think the main issue is I listen to most of my new music on public transport so it can get loud and the low mixing quality and volume on most of SGP's stuff makes it hard to find a melody or whatever. It's like how listening to Gucci at low volumes takes a lot of the punch out since you don't get the bass.

I was just kinda hoping there'd be like, Yung Simmie type stuff that's still decent quality while maintaining a similar sound. Same with Denzel.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I'll put Blackland back on tonight when I sesh and see if I like it better. I think I have that link someone posted a while back that had tons and tons of old Memphis mixtapes so I'll dig around that some too.

Also I already am familiar with LUM, thanks :)

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

THNDRTHF posted:

Love this poo poo - reminds me of SCOSA by Flatbush Zombies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gk1ZE-ADvo

also reminds me of the chorus of probably one of my fave songs off BetterOffDEAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv2bu_R6JQo

I've been listening to this off Curren$y's latest mixtape like 20 times a day, I really like Rich Boy's flow. Looks like the dude has a lot of tapes so is there anything worth picking up out of that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ESxYaGfh4

also thanks to alan (?) for the Hurt Everybody rec, it's really good

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Tin Wooki is also a good album this year but maybe a bit long. Also

I can say I enjoyed Tin Wooki but it was too long and the songs too short so I couldn't really list songs I liked in particular. Good production though

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I don't recognize the beat or flow. It's either new or from his pre-Patriarch/Cliff of Death output, which I've (regrettably) never checked out

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Am I crazy or do most songs on the KRIT tape sound like they weren't mixed very well? The drums come out fine on most and the vocals are okay but everything else is mixed too low

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Ethelwulf - he has a decent EP called Damari Shizukani or something. I remember liking the production, he mostly just rode the beats

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

The only thing that last track with Ross makes me think of is thathonkey's avatar

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I completely forgot about this one when I was talking about Ethelwulf this morning but the chopped and screwed version of his tape The Wolf Gang's Rodolphe is nice too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2czt3QgAWT0

this one owns too but I couldn't find the C&S version on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJIuzCdfHA

crunk as hell with the set in the motel
call the room service lady, freak on her as well
hit the waffle house late, I mean late as hell
make em cook up everything, then we fuckin bail

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

UoI posted:

I've never heard of this dood before but I really like this song. Is there more stuff of his I should listen to?

If you're talking about Deniro, check out Patriarch I-II, Cliff of Death EP and his new EP from this year, Rebirth. He's got a style of his own.

That's a cool song but Duru sounds way better on his other tracks with Farrar imo

Also the beat on Yung Lean's song Volt is incredible

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Lancelot posted:

Between Soul and Q's debuts this year, there are, what, three or four listenable songs? I don't even know about Jay Rock.

Q had 3-4 good singles to himself dude

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Yuzenn posted:

Whenever I read an article about "changing attitudes about hip hop", I read "Rap, safe enough for White People yet?

I'm gonna agree with everyone about not liking the song, and I'm a dude who likes all different types of rap including the strange, corny, and odd.

KDot is just so much more talented than that, it's like he's taking advice from Jay-Z and phoning everything in as long as he is on the top of the rap pyramid. Whats worse is that he talked ALL that poo poo during Control and the BET cyphers, this cannot possibly be what meant he was wanna murder other rap dudes with.

It's one song, that's not really "phoning everything in"

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Yuzenn posted:

You're right, but thats how it starts.....

Poetic Justice was a single too and that song is awful (to me).

(granted, it did come out after Backseat Freestyle)

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Freddie Gibbs - Came Up, Freddie Soprano & On Some G poo poo get me going in the morning

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

The new FlyLo is great and I definitely agree with the Cosmogramma comparisons. I hope someone makes a proper beat out of "Coronus, The Terminator," it'd sound awesome

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Lord was an amazing song for what amounts to "listen to like 4 dudes rappity rap for 5 mins"

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Migos can really rap but I'm liking them more on features because I find most of their own output sounds too samey, beat-wise

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Lac Lac is still gonna be best on the album despite being a bonus because Ferg

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

alansmithee posted:

It's honestly surprising that dude at one point was considered a top-notch rapper. Like I can't even remember any of his "good" songs at this point.

Hate It Or Love It is a drat classic but it's like the only Game song I can namedrop without google

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I like the new Vince Staples.

The DJ on the Gunplay tape ruins most songs though jesus

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Baram posted:

That's how I feel about it too. I think I've been spoiled by mixtapes like Flatbush & UA where it's more like a free album with no dj. The Gunplay tape is good but out of a little over 40 minutes there's probably at least. 5+ minutes of the DJ talking over it / running records back.

It doesn't help that most of the time the DJ is mixed louder so you've got the song going and this dude breaks your eardrums yelling about how you're listening to a Gunplay song on the Gunplay mixtaped titled "Gunplay"

at least Drama usually lets dudes do their thing

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Insanely Sikh posted:

I really dislike Ab-Soul's verse on Lakers. It's not real rap enough for my white rear end

"I'm from out there, so don't... go there" is so lazy I can't help but laugh every time

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I don't like Ab Soul but you know that's a biggie line right? Not that it makes it any less lazy

I did not but I'm also not a huge Biggie fan v:shobon:v

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

I AM BRAWW posted:

Freddie Gibbs & ESGN - Dollaz

Gibbs throwing his no-name homies on tracks is interesting. They aren't nearly as good as him or really all that interesting, but fresh voices (in the case of whoever the first guy is on this track) and smooth flows with some new Gibbs are all good.

That first dude is G-Wiz, probably my favourite Gibbs associate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1hnHqrumPw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC5doWnV00I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edxStudbK0U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

I can't be the only person who's excited that a new DJ Quik album comes out TOMORROW. This is a momentous occasion for west coast rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2HxZGNTfBM