Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You know I used to think Gucci wasn't that great of a rapper, but I've been hearing some tracks lately with Migos and he can spit pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I swear to god every time I hear Juiceman go "AYE AYE" I know I'm in for a rough ride.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm probably not a very good judge of what constitutes as good since I haven't been listening (like actually listening) to rap for long. But I like the more rhythmically fast stuff like Bone Thugs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Tolkien minority posted:

This was the song that really changed my mind on Gucci, he's one of my favorite rappers now. If you like that I'd check out the mixtape it's on. If you're interested further than that I can recommend some tapes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrHKlZhQZus

Yeah dude, I'll check that out. Just trying to listen to a little bit of everything now to figure out what I like and what I don't.

drat I knew you were going to link the freestyle vid behind the tire shop. Actually I need to have more of an open mind on this, but I have a friend who is all about what is "good" rap and "bad" rap and he gets upset when you bring up Gucci or any of the brick squad crew.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

sounds like a nerd!!!

Dude like, it's too much. He's a white dude who mansplains rap to me and I'm just like "man I like what I like".

Like what am I supposed to do, not like white rappers and listen to nothing but Common? lol

I've been listening to a lot of Suicideboys, BONES, Skippa Da Flippa, Bone Thugs and poo poo like that, so I guess stuff in that vein would be a good rec for me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wezlar posted:

Listen to Flockaveli it is the most important Trap album

Oh dude I'm already on that. TTG is in the lifting rotation.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Get right to the source and spend the next 18-24 months absorbing the discography of Hypnotize Minds and Three 6 Mafia from the start until 2008. Then get on to Juicy J’s discography.

Boom!

I'll queue this up in Spotify at work tomorrow.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

These Gucci tapes are growing on me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBF0PigX0As

This is my contribution to the thread.

Also, the OP says this is the place to talk about R&B too? I love that 80's electro poo poo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

gently caress I paid $150 for a ticket to see Metallica, much less Gambino.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So I'm having a hard time getting into older Gucci, but this is the kind of stuff I tend to like better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo14xGYwWd4

Sorry for being a rap newbie (and potentially having bad taste).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

BITCH TRY TO CHILD SUPPORT I MIGHT KILL A BITCH
BITCH TRY TO CHILD SUPPORT I CASKET A BITCH

- Lil B, from the single "Child Support" (Self Released)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Guess that's what happens when you're a lovely singer and you use autotune.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Boywhiz88 posted:

That YG song is gonna get a lot of white guys hosed up.

It's true, I tried my hand at gang banging today as a result.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Boywhiz88 posted:

Man, video games are gonna blow up now

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dexo posted:

That was the best joke.

White people really thought people were serious and not taking the piss

I took it seriously :(

:qq:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Boywhiz88 posted:

poo poo like this is where I continue to prattle on how drill/SoundCloud doods who are blowing up from nothing are getting absolutely hosed in life. If dood can’t do a 7th grade math word problem, how can he not get exploited in his contracts and deals? Like straight up, he should have a court appointed conservator until he gets things figured out.

Can you legally enter a contract before age 18 anyway? Like poo poo what's there to prevent them from giving the record company 90% of their royalties?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

His wikipedia entry does not paint a very good picture.

Like you know these guys have some kind of intellectual talent to make music, but they just literally never had the resources needed to actually learn basic poo poo.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If only somebody gave Slim Jesus a chance in life...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

temple posted:

any good instrumental stations i can play as background music and around kids (no cursing)?

Try out some lo fi channels as well they tend to have a lot of laid back instrumentals.

Also if you like a g funk sound but instrumental, you can give Dam Funk a spin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI1eScmCcOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I feel you on that with lofi. Hell half the poo poo is smooth jazz looped with a high pass filter.

Have you heard 7 days of funk my dude?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Stay tuned for our Mumble Rapper Financial Series.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

re: financial 21 savage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0LIbfjx2Ic

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I actually listened to 6ix9ine today and it legit frightened me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MrSargent posted:

Quoting myself from a while ago but local artist The Philharmonik, who I was trying to promote a couple weeks back, went to SXSW and was able to do a little freestyle on stage in front of Sway. Check it out here and give the guy some listens on his new album, I feel like there are at least a few people in this thread that would like the music.

https://www.facebook.com/thephilharmonik/videos/2024924424215161/

I'll give this a spin this afternoon.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Trying to work it in between my Zapp listening.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

MrSargent posted:

Quoting myself from a while ago but local artist The Philharmonik, who I was trying to promote a couple weeks back, went to SXSW and was able to do a little freestyle on stage in front of Sway. Check it out here and give the guy some listens on his new album, I feel like there are at least a few people in this thread that would like the music.

https://www.facebook.com/thephilharmonik/videos/2024924424215161/

It's good, but that one track with the goofy spoken word bit was kind of off. He's a better singer than rapper, but I'll probably be playing this for a few days.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Didn't the OJ stuff come right after those cops got off in the Rodney King beating?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Juice.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RidSLyKXet0

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Duggler posted:

Oh no I just heard gummo for the first time and I liked it

Stop you're losing IQ points by the minute.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Awful Records also brought us the likes of $lug Chri$t.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Wasn't Makonnen on Awful records too before he kind of fell off a bit? I remember he was blowing up a few years ago and then nothing.

Look at Wrist was like the first time I'd hear of either Father or Makonnen.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Well I think the style of the music at Awful was pretty solidly in the alt/underground genre. Then you have noted heroin addict Slug Christ putting out whatever the gently caress he was doing. Makonnen started getting really big when Drake did that feature with him and then he just dropped off for like 3 years and then recently reappeared.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Boywhiz88 posted:

Can’t knock the hustle. Way better than random @s and follows.

What song is stuck in everyone’s head? I can’t stop listening to Rover 2.0.

Been bumping old school recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nts-x67Usqc

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I too make cryptic tweets on the Internet.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Bandiet posted:

I still cannot get enough of Rich Homie Quan's album. All 19 tracks have a great beat, catchy hook, and thoughtful lyrics. Rick Ross's feature is perhaps the only flaw on it.

I'm giving this a spin right now.

Also, lol what is the appeal of Rick Ross?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thom and the Heads posted:

the new rich homie quan was p good but no one talked about it??

Yes it was good.

Unfortunately I don't know how to articulate my opinion on rap.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm too busy yelling SCUUUMMMMM GAAAAANNNNNGGGGGGG at random intervals.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

40 lbs to freedom posted:

i feel like i would normally like the weeknd but i honestly hate his voice and cant get past it.

The first time I heard him I thought it was an unreleased Michael Jackson track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Whatever happened to OG Maco? He had like on album and then hasn't put out much since then.