Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm getting paid to write about the Run the Jewels show on Saturday night. gently caress yes.

Well, really it's just covering my ticket because I didn't get this gig until earlier this week, so no press pass. But it's gonna be awesome. Trying to swing Danny Brown on December 12 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are you just reviewing the show or are you gonna interview El-P and Mike?

Just reviewing the show. I'm not sure if the site does interviews but I'll ask for future reference.

At the risk of making myself easily doxxable for the sake of getting more readers, I got a freelance gig writing for Ruby Hornet, which used to be a Chicago hip-hop blog but is now a general culture website. Some of my stuff may also wind up on Chicago Music, which is part of the same company. You'll be more likely to see me writing about rock and metal, but I was going to RTJ anyway and it looks like Danny Brown will be doable too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Business Octopus posted:

I wonder how much twitter SJWs would have flipped their poo poo if they were transplanted to '99 when My Name Is was blowing up the airwaves. Salon and Jezebel's servers would probably set on fire with all of the holier than though clickbait articles being produced.

Eminem's transformation from nightmare of conservative parents to bane of young leftists is kind of funny considering his lyrical themes changed very little.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Holy gently caress, RTJ live is the craziest party.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Doomtree thread is dead, so if anybody's interested, they have a new album coming out 1/27.

Singles:
https://www.soundcloud.com/doomtree/38airweight
https://www.soundcloud.com/doomtree/grayduck/

Hopefully this means a tour soon. I would love to see them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Doomtree thread is dead, so if anybody's interested, they have a new album coming out 1/27.

Singles:
https://www.soundcloud.com/doomtree/38airweight
https://www.soundcloud.com/doomtree/grayduck/

Hopefully this means a tour soon. I would love to see them.

Update: P.O.S. is going on tour in February :getin:

EDIT: Actually it's the whole of Doomtree. P.O.S.'s Bandsintown just posted the dates as if they were solo shows.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 4, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

It's also the actual rap album of the year

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Top 5 for hip-hop:

RTJ2
Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy
Busdriver - Perfect Hair
Hail Mary Mallon - Bestiary
Sadistik - Ultraviolet

Good lord that is such a giant sign flashing *WHITE TWENTYSOMETHING*. Not a very good year. Number two would actually be Flying Lotus' album if it counts.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Everyone's in such a hurry. Year's not even done yet!

Prelim list, I'll likely flesh it out more later but top 5 would be like:

Open Mike Eagle-Dark Comedy
The Stand4rd-The Stand4rd
Hurt Everybody-Hurt Everybody
Lucki Eck$-Body High
RTJ-RTJ2

honorable mentions
Busdriver-Perfect Hair
Migos-Rich Nigga Timeline
Pyramid Vritra-Palace/Indra
Yung Lean-Unknown Memory
Ratking-So It Goes
Chester Watson-Tin Wooki
DJ Quik-The Midnight Life

I still gotta give a more thorough listen to a few things though (HMM, Shy Glizzy, and a bunch of random stuff). Year started slow but there's been a lot of good releases. I think a lot of the bigger name stuff was kinda disappointing early, which made people think everything sucked. Also last year had a ton of good stuff so it was always gonna be hard to follow that up. Also like Noz said, if you think 2014 sucked for rap you should hear the music from 2014 that isn't rap because it's much worse.

This reminds me, I'm seeing Danny Brown on Friday with Lucki Eck$. What should I expect from the latter, having never listened to him.

Also there was a bunch of good music that wasn't rap in 2014. My favorite hip-hop album of the year is like number 6 overall.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

acksplode posted:

I guess we'll find out over time but I dunno how Pinata doesn't slot right in to that category

Because it was widely considered a disappointment?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I remember this thread being really mixed about it when it came out and I haven't seen it on year-end lists nearly as much as other prominent releases from this year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just got back from Danny Brown in Chicago, which was insane. Lucki Eck$ was kind of boring and didn't even play half an hour. For some reason an ambient artist opened.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In case anyone is wondering what Danny Brown is playing these days should he go on tour soon (I think this was a one-off show for Red Bull Sound Select), here's a slightly out-of-order setlist from last night that might be missing a song or two:

Break It (Go)
Smokin' and Drinkin'
Express Yourself
Attak
Handstand
Lie4
I Will
Side B (Dope Song)
Monopoly
Kush Coma
Weightin' On (Lucki Eck$ track. Obviously you'd only see this if he brings him on tour.)
25 Bucks
Dip

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 13, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

thathonkey posted:

It's pretty funny that someone is trying to use Community as a means of getting people into Donglover's horrible rapping.

Nobody's doing that. It's about his show that he's working on.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That song was really loving good though?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That's pretty much how El-P actually talks so it's pretty fitting.

thathonkey posted:

i know i just thought it was cool for mike and el-p :smith:

nobody wants to talk best beats of the year? i made a list page or two back
On both subjects, Blockbuster Night Part 1.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pops Ghostly posted:

Pac was not soft. Standing on the corner dealing drugs and robbing people does not make you hard. Pac shot two white police officers, because he saw them assaulting a black man. That's the hardest and realest thing a rapper has ever done. You have very warped views about black men and masculinity, and you are the poison in the hip hop community. These rappers are trying to cater to people like you, who only want black men as savage thugs or effeminate non threatening jesters. I wish 90% of rap fans would find another culture to scavenge so we could get back to the basics, and separate the true artists who make music because of love for the culture, and the sellouts who are making music pop/edm/trap hybrids for lames like you. gently caress Young Thug#Pray4MaxWavyLife

Isn't alansmithee black?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

RTJ is supposed to be playing a festival here in March. Are they good enough to justify paying like $80 for a single day ticket just to see them? Because they're one of only like 2 or 3 acts I actually want to see out of that whole lineup.

Bobby Shmurda was on that lineup too but I don't know if he'll even be playing anymore since the lineup came out like a day or 2 before his arrest lmao

No. Just catch them on the RTJ3 tour.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm behind but 36 Seasons is actually a really solid album. Hopefully it doesn't grow off me like 12 Reasons to Die did.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Finally getting around to PRhyme and this really is a great album. I'm not a big fan of Royce or Primo but they seem to inspire the best in each other.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Joe Gillian posted:

He was right about Taylor Swift not deserving a grammy.

Weird of him to go off about it at the VMAs then.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Khagan posted:

Saw Run The Jewels for the second time tonight and they were amazing again.

Do they always come out to Queen and start the set with Run the Jewels?

That's what they did on the the fall tour.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Action Bronson drops March 24.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Did anything actually prompt that or did she just decide to beef with Lupe for no reason? Who even cares enough about Lupe these days to hate him?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lmao Kid Cudi is now calling Lupe "Poope Fiasco" on Twitter. That website has elevated beefing to a new plane.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GET MONEY posted:

i really think she's been aware of the issues, doesn't appreciate the condescension and is more fed up with the scrutiny. also she's got a nice rear end but maybe she said the n-word or something i don't really follow her

She has a history of making racist jokes on Twitter.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering, he also listed the best non-english rap songs.

Bro do you not even gently caress with MC Solaar?

What about Tony Parker's rap career?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzQ9lszhP10

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I just think Tony Parker rapping is even funnier than other NBA rappers because it's in French.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hip-hop is probably the most hit-or-miss genre there is when it comes to live performance. A good venue is more important for it than for anything else I can think of, because if you can't understand anything coming out of the mic it's just a waste of time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Cannibal Ox coming: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/news/33475/Cannibal-Ox-return/

With no El-P I don't know if it will be worth listening to but you never know.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think alansmithee mentioned it somewhere but B4.DA.$$ is surprisingly enjoyable throughout. The production is obviously old-school but it's varied enough to avoid boom bap monotony and Joey himself tries a bunch of different approaches on the mic. Summer Knights was kind of boring but this is just really solid stuff. "No. 99" in particular is great.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Here's some :tinfoil: about Kendrick dropping his new album this Tuesday:
http://sectioneighty.com/kendrick-lamars-album-to-drop-out-of-nowhere-on-january-27/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yes that's it. Everybody here secretly hated GKMC and wants him to fail so they can be validated. I hate when people continue to release good music.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

temple posted:

I guess you didn't the last few post on the previous page.

I did, but I'm also not an idiot. People thinking it's going to suck because they hated "I" is not the same as people actively willing him to fail.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Waiting for a Doom project :laugh:

It's coming out next month and it's not a DOOM project. BBNG/Ghostface is a different collab than DOOMStarks

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
New Doomtree is pretty solid if you're into them. Sounds more or less like all their other stuff. I'm pretty excited to see them next month.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is it a good place to start if I have never actually sat and listened to Lupe?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Ehh, i'd start with his first two albums. His new one is really good, but imo it's really dense. You gotta pay a lot of attention to it to get the "full value" or w/e. F&L and The Cool have a much more mellow, bouncy vibe and you can just listen a lot more (although the lyrics still sneak up on you).

The structure of his new one is different. there's like a 1 minute instrumental that sounds like something from the flashbulb, then you get an 8 minute song that's no hooks or anything-just straight rapping. It's drat impressive but you also gotta be wanting to listen to 8 minutes of rapping (which i'm not sure a lot of dudes here can do). The whole thing is kinda set up like that, with brief interludes and then really long songs with all sorts of wordplay.

I like dense hip-hop and rappity rappers so I'm definitely open to starting with that even if it's not what I should expect from the rest of his discography.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mural is an early song of the year candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCdgDxQbW_U

Welp that sure is a lot of people. Danny Brown on it, worth it for that alone.

This came out months ago.