Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Looking forward to this place being where I catch all of the news just like the last one. It pretty much gave me most of my favourite albums of the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I deleted like half of the tracks off Ab's latest album and now I really enjoy it. Man, tracks 3-7 really drag that album down imo, works so much better without them.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Duro posted:

Really like the new Ab-Soul album. "Just Have Fun" is the standout track for me, but I would have loved a version without the stupid skit and outro. Other than that, he mentions Montreal in "Feelin' Us" which is pretty awesome.

I also enjoy the new Riff Raff as background music. Call me crazy, but as someone that never really listened to him much, I was surprised by the album. Decent features, nice variety of beats.

yeah, just have fun is probs the standout track on These Days... to me too. It feels really fresh and more like the sort of thing only he really makes well, to me at least. Like, the sound of it.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

dude's essentially lil b at this point with worse quality control.

You sure about that?

(i legit love this track tho)

e; for real tho, Lil B has zero quality control and it is the best thing. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2f-CN4GUA4

Another Person fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 24, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Budget Cop posted:

Shut The gently caress Up Neu

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Also I really like that Danny track in a dumb way. Danny can do no wrong right now in my eyes

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I really want a new Flatbush release soon, Better oFF Dead was so good.

same sentiment here man, still playing Better off Dead every week at least

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Wezlar posted:

Flatbush Zombies and the Underachievers announced their collab finally! Clockwork Indigo

Excitement for this addition to my best of list

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
a friend is trying to get me to listen to Pro Era and its members, she reckons they are really good. Never really listened to them enough to know. I know I like Steez but only listened to some of his stuff after the fact, so I don't know any of the poo poo he was also on. What do you guys think was the best thing Pro Era put out so I can give it a listen and finally do as my friend asks and give them a chance?

I got her to listen to the Underachievers and Flatbush Zombies after a little pressure, so I feel it is only right to listen to stuff she reckons I would like. She says they are similar.

don't ever hear any of them mentioned in here, so I never figured them worth a look before really. listening to The Shift now regardless and it is alright, nothing too special tho

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

thathonkey posted:

Christ i decided to try spotify radio based on danny brown and it is blasting me with nothing but death grips and cihildish gambino.
:frogout:

don't use spotify radio. it is bad.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

this is real good, listened to it like 6 times.

also, congrats on the new job dexo

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
New BONES is hot. Production is v. good. Who actually does his production?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
flylo does not release anything below great imo

e; also if that is indicative of the rest of the album then it sounds like he is going back to his old, faster sound

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 3, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
you say some of them are in the witch house scene, some of the poo poo on BONES tapes also sounds ambient and sometimes vapourwavey as all hell. dudes work spans a few genres.

thanks, I'm gonna listen to some of these guys, see if they do anything else I really like the sound of

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

A fun game I like to play is "see how long it takes to scroll down to the bottom of Viper's Spotify page"

going for two minutes, still sitting in 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Really liking this Mick Jenkins album, have to say. Also that SBTRKT/Ferg track is great. Love it when you get prolific electronic producers teaming with rappers.

Recent good examples:

FlyLo/Kendrick - Never Catch Me
Rustie/Danny Brown - Attak
SBTRKT/ASAP Ferg - Voices in my Head

Any other examples of these sort of collabs?

Not really a rapper, more R&B, but Kavinsky did a collab with the Weeknd which was pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSW2zeM3yLU

Not sure if it is better than the original version of Odd Look, but it is pretty good imo

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

they... they are MERGING?! I am in love with the sound of it regardless of the mixing.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

yeah I'm still pretty hyped for anything they release. Flatbush have been on a roll lately (wish they'd release a collection mixtape of all the singles they put out over the last few months)

can't quote this hard enough, everything Flatbush touch is hot as hell and this track is a total chiller imo. everything about it is so good. beat, mood, lyrics. how can there be so much mic talent on one track?

anyone got a list or an idea of all of the singles they put out recently? i'm gonna start collecting them together

e; also, thought I heard that beat before - Zombies already used it on their EP earlier this year

Another Person fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 18, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Real Name Grover posted:

Is there a better thread for Flying Lotus discussion? Not a criticism, spoils :respek: — just an honest question.

poo poo, I'd make a thread for You're Dead but I'm kind of late to the party, having finally bothered to really listen to him only within the past year. Now I run through Cosmogramma like once a week while I'm working.

"Never Catch Me" w/ Kendrick was posted when it was released a couple weeks back, but if the album teaser video is any indication, goddamn.

I made the last one for his last album. Want me to make another for him?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Real Name Grover posted:

Might as well.

Typing it up now.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
There you go.

Probs best he got a thread of his own anyway, he has a massive electronic crossover which includes some people who don't really post or read in here, and people might want to chat about his label or similar sounds in a more electronic style than hip-hop.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

I think this is a really hot track, but it would have been better if it came out two months ago. It is a summerjam, mad cowbell.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I really like that Kdot track (still think it came out too late to have the impact it should have had) but Vice is garbage journalism imo

the piece is very literal and basically lifts exactly what the lyrics state

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
not siding with spoils here because spoils spiel was p. dumb, but nobody else seems to be making a stand on this. It is just like five dudes including me saying we like it, then a bunch of people making GBS threads on it. Gotta agree, it ain't really rap, and it ain't really what I expected from Kendrick, but it was alright. It was a pop song.

Afterall, it is not like Kendrick is working on some system where this song came out at the cost of another so at the end of the day we just got some song that some guys like and some don't, so let's all agree to just have fun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DY1ALFrVJU)

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

(also that ab-soul song sucks too :colbert:)

ya killing me man! That is a good track imo, one of the few keepers from These Days

But yeah, I get what you mean with 'not so much him going pop', but if that came from any other no-name artist, it would be labelled as pop. Because it is coming from Kendrick, who has a history of rap, we go into there expecting rap and label it as such regardless. It is actually less rap feeling than some stuff the Weeknd puts out.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 24, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Robert Analog posted:

Did anyone like These Days aside from me? To me there are only like 3 definite skips and that's a pretty good ratio of garbage to listenable songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzwY6s1yQjQ

I liked it. I thought there was a lot of skippable stuff tho. It was more disappointment by comparison to Control System that killed it for me, but that is not a fair comparison. Hunnid Stax up to Twact was entirely skippable by me. I just don't like those tracks.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
FYI FlyLo leaked. It is like Cosmogramma so far. It is good, a definite buy.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

thathonkey posted:

So better than his last album at least? Thanks. I really like that other track without Kdot that is out.

Definitely better. Cosmo level good. It is more jazzy than his past works though. Check it out as soon as you can.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 28, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

The "Never Catch Me" video dropped and it's really really good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8

That is a really loving good, and really sad video. The kids are running from death. Pro-click that poo poo.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I was listening to DOOM's special herbs set and found the sample that became book of soul. poo poo man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ofyZPCzXuQ

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

I think there is more than 3 hours of Special Herbs sets, I have quite a few of them and they are all like 20 tracks. I think it comes to like 7 or so hours of beats. And every one of them is amazing.

DOOM is a god who deserves way more attention.

e; RZA used one of his beats called Sasparilla to make You Can't Stop Me Now. I spent like a day wondering where the gently caress I had heard it before realising what it was.

Also, I noticed that DOOM never gets any credit for these beats anywhere in the production or anything like that. So, are these guys just stealing his beats wholesale or are they paying dues somewhere else cause it sounds like they are getting famous off someone elses works. For example, Soul doesn't seem to credit him anywhere.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 12, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Also in the old thread I made a giant Doom post about where to start with his stuff and w/e if anyone wants to go looking. I may do another if people want that cause the old thread's probably archives now.

Yeah, I remember that because I asked for it.

And yeah, Burdock Root and Book of Soul are almost exactly identical. I would be mega pissed if I heard some guy made something so close to something I already did without at least dropping an influence mention.

e:

alansmithee posted:

For production work, I'd go with King Geedorah and MF Grimm-Downfall of Ibllys. He's rapping on some of the stuff on there (and I Hear Voices pt. 1 on the Grimm album is actually just a Doom track from one of the singles for Op: Doomsday) but it's mostly other dudes rapping. Geedorah also has the track I mentioned before with that Trunks dude, so you may wanna try tracking down the EP he did.

Victor Vaughn album is pretty good as well-it's Doom over other people's beats. The last couple tracks kinda aren't up to the same standards but the rest is really top notch. You could make a case some of his best rhyming is on there. He also did (or was somehow involved with, not sure exactly how "official" it was) a VV 2 album which I think actually has a lot better production than the first, but way less Doom raps (he pretty much shits on the project in his opening verse on the intro).

As I said Born Like This is way better than people give credit for-most dudes at the time were sour on it because the production was so old if you'd been following Doom's stuff and it kinda dropped with no fanfare after he disappeared or whatever (also prior to that was when he first started sending imposters to his shows so people were kinda salty). The beats mostly weren't rapped over before (some had been, but mostly not) but since all the Doom stuff was on special herbs and I think the only other production was Dilla stuff from Donuts, it wasn't exactly new.

JJ Doom had like 1 song on it I really liked, just didn't seem to mesh well. Mouse and the Mask is kinda interesting if you like the early era Adult Swim stuff and/or really wanna listen to Doom make raps about anything but is largely skippable. The Unexpected Guests album gets a bunch of his singles/appearances and is decent but tbh it's missing some of my fav songs/features of his (Mic Line, off the Monsta Island Czars cd which was mostly bad besides that song). It's also missing some of his earlier stuff, but the "KMD" (Kurious and another random dude Doom was supposedly gonna make a new KMD album with [another of the many rumored-but-never-seen Doom projects a la Madvillainy 2 & the Ghost collab-this was from like 2000 so it's not something exactly new with him]) track Sorcerors is on there, which is really nice. The Count Bass D track is also cool (he might be the only industry dude who doesn't have bad poo poo to say about Doom fwiw). If you really want more, there's also the MF EP which has Grimm/Doom tracks (and if you like any of that, I can elaborate on Grimm who's not as good but has also had an interesting career, with some great to ok music). That's most of his stuff covered, as I said there's also some random features that are good but not "necessary" unless you're a real completist (I remember a song he did on one of the Prefuse albums was decent, and another I've not tracked down in awhile with Aesop and some other dude that i got on a random CD-R, for instance)

Hope that helps

Another Person fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 12, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

gently caress me, System is loving spooky sounding.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

BREAK THE WALLS DOWN!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

Jericho wouldn't be caught dead performing in swimtrunks

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
going back and listening to old Ab tracks before his boring album dropped, Longterm 2 is so good

be a man
soul cry
turn me up
drift away

I want the old Ab back, dude used to have a real grip on the world.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
what's Danny Brown been up to lately? Ain't heard much from him so I'm guessing there are like 50 features I've missed out on

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
well I got an answer to my danny brown question, in more ways than one

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Cubey posted:

Good, hopefully that means Danny's next album won't be a giant letdown like Old was.

Old is probs one of my favourite albums in rap, so I disagree, just listen to Float On and tell me that is not the most mortal thing you have ever heard coming from the immortal king of pills that is Danny Brown. It is such a shockingly stark, yet perfect ending to an album, probably my fave closer ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

alansmithee posted:

I think an album can still be great and a letdown, if your expectations are just higher than what was actually released.

I was a bit disappointed in Old even though it was a great album. I just preferred XXX and The Hybrid.

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying the dudes opinion was wrong. I was just stating my opinion. Didn't really give much of an argument for why tho, hah. I like how weird it all is. A lot of it feels really tense, depressing and anxious. Tracks like Torture, Lonely, and Float On are just really sad feeling. I like sad guy rap a lot when it actually goes into a proper topic and handles it well. Danny does an amazing job of that imo. Then you get stuff like Break It (Go) which is just a solid banger. Love that track.I really like how it is loaded with the EDM beats towards the back, then Float On after it. I think of it as the thoughts of Danny through the day, like dealing with his issues of his life, past and emotions, and then you get to the ravey parts and it is like the heights of one of his shows. poo poo is going wild, all over the place and it picks up. Then the show ends, Float On hits, and it is like him thinking "I can't do this forever, man. How did I even get here form where I was? Where am I going next?" It is like an existential crisis of what he is supposed to be, and he just kinda hides away from it all with drugs.

I really didn't like the structure of it when I first heard it, even though I liked the tracks. Then that sorta hit me how it was put together, and watching all his issues with poo poo like lean last year really put it all into perspective. Think I've listened to Old a few hundred times since it came out now. I've come around to think it was poorly structured to extremely well structured. But that is just my weird conjecture poo poo doing it for me.

I can definitely get how people would be disappointed if they were expecting something bigger, or something closer to XXX. Never been able to really give The Hybrid the chance it deserves, I always put it on and then think "Man, I wanna listen to Old so much now". I came in after a short while after XXX and never knew the Hybrid existed for a while, so I've kinda missed it. I just spent the whole time listening to XXX over and over because that album is also a killer.

What are the best tracks on it so I can give them a shot and then maybe listen to it all after I realise there are things to look forward to? Maybe crush my desire to switch right over to Old again.