Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuJGGZqEGjI#t=268

Fabolous- Sacrifices Music Video

Every music video Fab releases makes me like the song that much more. His soul tapes are dope as poo poo and I'm glad someone is holding NY down with his soulful sound and storytelling.

Not that Waka Flocka "I can't rap" GARBAGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Pusha T- No Flex Zone Remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzXe2nnz1rU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't know if anyone gives a poo poo about Common anymore but his new album is streaming in case anyone does.

http://hypetrak.com/2014/07/common-nobodys-smiling-album-stream/

This has been taken down, as it was an unauthorized leak....I'm gonna buy it anyway tho

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Wezlar posted:

The best part of that video is Red One completely jacking the Big Sean flow. WHO THE gently caress JACKS BIG SEANS FLOW

Somewhere Flex is laughing at 2 Chainz cause that verse was TURRIBLE.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Alvarez IV posted:

It's the morning after seeing Juicy J live, and I don't know why I expected the crowdgoers at a rap show in Connecticut to be anything less than a bunch of Caucasian recent high school graduates. Juicy pretty much stuck to his club bangers because he assumed that that's what everyone wanted to hear, so I didn't get to yell along to No Love or Gun Plus a Mask or Wax. Still a fun time, but not something I'll do again in the land of the bourgeoisie.

On a slightly different topic, this is just out of morbid curiosity since I almost exclusively listen to hip-hop about money, women, drugs, and guns, but are any of the socially conscious rappers out there worth loving with? The only one I know about is Immortal Technique but he's only interesting if you're one of those people who thinks there's such thing as "real hip-hop" that is being covered up by Lil Wayne's very existence, and I only know about him because college professors like playing his stuff to their classes to teach about gentrification, which is about the worst thing you could tell me to recommend him to me as a rapper. I guess if you think Rage Against the Machine counts as hip-hop, they technically count, but the closest I get to socially conscious hip-hop is when a rapper tells me why he's shooting police as opposed to just telling me that he's shooting police.

Socially conscious that still rap? I'd go with Common's new album or download CyHI The Prynce's Black Hystori project. A lot of those Chicago based rappers have some social consciousness weaved into their work, even if there is some money women drugs rap intertwined within it. I'd start there.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

https://soundcloud.com/officiallyice/vietnam-joe-budden-ft-ransom

Ransom and Budden finally squash the beef to make this track. Kinda dope!

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

https://soundcloud.com/mslaurynhill/black-rage-sketch

Lauryn Hill comes out hiding.....

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

G-Unit LA leakers freestyle (Along with the whole mixtape stream)

http://rapradar.com/2014/09/08/new-music-g-unit-pump-pump/

Joelle Ortiz Hot Box Freestyle (House Slippers out soon!)

http://www.hiphopsmission.com/?p=6246

Childish Gambino freestyle and interview

http://rapradar.com/2014/09/08/childish-gambino-peter-rosenberg-freestyle/

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 9, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Sam Smith Ft ASAP Rocky (Totally channeling that Kanye flow): I'm not the only one

http://rapradar.com/2014/09/09/new-music-sam-smith-x-aap-rocky-im-not-the-only-one/

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I was definitely reaching with the Drake comparison but I still do think if he linked up with the right people and really figured out where to push himself musically he could be at the Kendrick level, definitely not skill wise but album sales, public image, radio hits. He's got all the intangibles. And he's got way more potential than Ferg, Ferg's never gonna pinch Rihanna's rear end in his life without getting slapped. Kendrick's mainstream success and appeal is weird to me though, I can't wait to see what his next album is like and where his career goes.

I agree and I think that ASAP Rocky is dope, and he brings a refreshing blend of style and New York/South fusion that comes out awesome production wise most times. I've seen him twice live and the energy is undeniable. I'm also biased since I grew up on NYC (being from NY and now living in Jersey) dudes that exude that aura of "I don't give a gently caress, I'm gonna do me" which has almost totally vanished from hip hop today.

ASAP Rocky's problem is that 99% of the dudes in ASAP mob are loving trash. Ferg has some redeeming qualities but he isn't really a great rapper, his delivery plus bravado makes for some entertaining music though. He's loyal to all of his boys and I respect that but he won't be able to go far trying to let them all eat along with him. He is far and above the rest of them as far as career and raw talent and it's only going to hold him back branding anything but his solo career.

As he gets older and more humble I hope he realizes he has to focus on his own brand, and hopefully he keeps honing his craft and stays hungry. It's not easy to stay relevant in rap without constant material being dropped, and even harder to sustain getting paid.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

I took a chance on House Slippers and know what? It's dope! The Yaowa's rap style actually translated into a cohesive studio album, while keeping the identity something a Brooklyn dude would do. His lyrics are sharp, the production is dope and there are a couple tracks I had no expectation of being good but the beat switch ups make them loving fire. In between this and Royce's new collabo with DJ Premier, I'm glad Slaughterhouse can make some good individual music (cause their album was SO disappointing).

Cop it.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Robert Analog posted:

The only thing worse than that song is that jerkoff article vice sucks so loving much

Whenever I read an article about "changing attitudes about hip hop", I read "Rap, safe enough for White People yet?

I'm gonna agree with everyone about not liking the song, and I'm a dude who likes all different types of rap including the strange, corny, and odd.

KDot is just so much more talented than that, it's like he's taking advice from Jay-Z and phoning everything in as long as he is on the top of the rap pyramid. Whats worse is that he talked ALL that poo poo during Control and the BET cyphers, this cannot possibly be what meant he was wanna murder other rap dudes with.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Oppenheimer posted:

its refreshing to drop a hard r n-bomb now and then

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Crumbletron posted:

It's one song, that's not really "phoning everything in"

You're right, but thats how it starts.....

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Bobby Schmurda - Hot Nigga
ASAP Ferg - Work (Remix)
Joe Budden & Ransom - Vietnam
Big Sean - 4th Quarter
Joell Ortiz - Say Yes

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

I appreciate the freestyle but god drat Pap pretty much shut the 5 fingers the gently caress down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaJy9ba1T0s

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

spoils posted:

Ehh not really that bad and 100x better than he used to be on Camp or any of his early stuff. Production is pretty great on the tape and his lyrics and flow are at least varied and sort of interesting
New Asap Rocky
http://flackojodyeseason.com/

At this point you aren't going to get people who aren't already fans of Gambino to change their minds because of this mixtape. If you like him you'll like the mixtape, but its free music so who cares? Plus the first drat track uses the Southern Hospitality beat and its a DJ loving DRAMA mixtape.

Flying Lotus Ft. Kendrick Lamar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8 not sure I like this Andre 3 stacks version of Kendrick, but his contribution to the track isn't terrible.

Ludacris Hot Nigga Remix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqi2C9gfcfA this beat has to be the best of the year (well I guess of 2012 technically?) and I never get tired of it. Ludacris has still got it, but I don't know if I wanna hear anything from him outside of a track feature these days.....

Joe Budden Ft Tsu Surf and Ransom http://rapradar.com/2014/10/01/new-music-joe-budden-ft-tsu-surf-x-ransom-nothing-changes/ I fucks with Tsu Surf's battle raps and he's from my stomping grounds, but I didn't like him on this track. He's been hit or miss for me and I always worry about these battle rap cats translating onto records. It's great hearing Joe Budden and Ransom rap together again, maybe one day someone can find whatever rock Hitchcock is under and we can reunite the A-Team. (It can be just like what M.O.P is to G-Unit)

And I really love that new ASAP Rocky track, and a lot of it is just being an ex new yorker homer, especially with them being in my neighborhood train terminal for half the video. The track bangs, and will definitely get a lot of listening from me.

You guys see the Cadillactica track list? http://rapradar.com/2014/10/02/big-k-r-i-t-cadillactica-cover-tracklist/ this is one album I had to preorder right away, Big KRIT really showed and proved to me and won me over gradually. This album is going to be great, Mt. Olympus is an absolute classic.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 3, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

alansmithee posted:

It's honestly surprising that dude at one point was considered a top-notch rapper. Like I can't even remember any of his "good" songs at this point.

I can't really fucks with him after G Unit deaded his career (The documentary was as much 50 Cent's vision as it was the Games, if not more), but as a fan of real rap, this poo poo is dope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_cSsVgQpF4

I like his Martian track with Tyler the Creator and Lil Wayne too, I guess......

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 9, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Did school let out and BYOB is down all at the same time?

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Budget Cop posted:

here's an idea: maybe you can stop jacking off about "real rap" every time you post and stop being an embarrassing loving nerd that thinks there's such a thing as REAL RAP

Cool, thanks for the input bro. Glad you came.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Budget Cop posted:

ah yeah sorry for asking one guy what he meant (not even sure what you're trying to point out with that) and calling another dude out on his dumbass posts about "real rap". i'm really sorry there's hostility in the White Suburban Dads Listen To Rap Music Thread. it's terrifying that you people actually have to interact with the violent blacks you normally never see.

please people do not argue or show aggression in the Rap Music Thread. this is a safe space for white people to post really stupid opinions on what they see as Real Rap Music

I'm not white so.....what?

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Budget Cop posted:

cool except i never thought you were and didn't refer to specifically at all in that post? my point is that in the previous thread there were tons of retards that posted nonstop about "real rap music" despite having a cushy life growing up in the suburbs. you're just some rap purist who probably thinks there's a difference between hip-hop and rap which is pretty bad too

lol cool that you clam up as soon as you realise you'll actually have to respond the scary ppl. i guess your nonstop posting in the game of thrones threads didn't prepare you for an actual discussion !! :eyepop:

:byodood: Really?

quote:

please people do not argue or show aggression in the Rap Music Thread. this is a safe space for white people to post really stupid opinions on what they see as Real Rap Music

It's cool if you don't agree with me, and I'm open to discussion about what Rap's role as an art and how its evolved and what its role is in black culture. We can even discuss me being a Rap Purist cause I kinda am, but you came in the thread trying to troll and are doing a 180 so hard you might fracture your hips trying to backtrack on the lol nerds post content when you got called out on it....

So what's it going to be, you going to rifle through the post history of everyone who doesn't agree with your post quality or you going to contribute?

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 9, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Budget Cop posted:

yeah except like i said that refers to the fact that the thread often turns into white ppl arguing about what is real rap or not. if i wanted to call you out on being "white" i would have done so in the first place (unless blacks can't be nerds anymore i guess??) i would actually prefer to have an actual discussion on what you think about rap music because that's actually interesting and contributes more than:

a loving copy paste from 2dopeboyz that just makes the thread seems like KTT or r/hhh lite. i don't know if anyone read alansmithee's super long (but extremely good) op but he meant for this thread to be more than just a link aggregator that you could find anywhere else

I mean your first post about me was a veiled attempt to insinuate that I am white or at least act white

quote:

yeah im a fan of "real rap" too bro....real g poo poo fam. you feel me bruh? we eatin out here. we bout dat life

I'm good though, ill leave it at that you are entitled to your own opinion. I'm not gonna keep assisting in this derail...

*^PS above guy you don't have to censor the word Nigga and I think Eminem is the most lyrically talented rapper alive

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 9, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

I AM BRAWW posted:

ALSO: you're loving autistic if you listen to Ja Rule after Fitty (50 cent) MURKED his career.

At least we can agree on something!

Budget Cop posted:

i wasn't actually trying to insinuate you where white with that but were instead mocking people that try to act real. doesn't matter what race they are. if you don't want to say anything further that's fine but i was genuinely interested in what you thought about modern rap culture as a "rap purist"

lol this and the previous thread have never been "a pretty healthy mix of link share posts, reaction posts, and discussion posts". people that try to start discussions are often shouted down and alansmithee is one of the only people to call out poo poo like tenacioustomato's blog copy+paste bullshit. probably one of the reasons why excellent posters like farmtrill stopped posting here.

also lol at
a rap thread shouldn't be a loving hugbox

Alright now we have something to discuss. I'm probably a bit older than some of the people on this thread, but outside of catchyness and entertainment certain artists (lets use the given examples of Waka Flocka, or a French Montana, or even sometimes in a 2 Chainz) I don't personally think their music adds a lot of value towards the art or for the culture most of the time. That doesn't mean that it can't be good, or entertaining, or fun!

I grew up on Biggie and Pac and Big L and Big Pun (golden era) but what those guys all had that an alarming amount of rappers lack is a knack for telling a story behing their raps. There are a lot of guys who have some great production or energy behind what they do but that's it. Even a guy I listened to non stop in Cam'ron changed his style very deliberately from a danger zone Big L style rapper into a nursery rhyme simplistic style of rap. Know what? Dipset was catchy and fun as all hell. I'll give you another example: Kick in the door, which is one of my absolute favorite rap songs, is definitely about some ignorant rear end poo poo but it tells a very specific and vivid story (albeit using some very negative depictions of gun and violence towards women). Pac was also one of those artists who on top of being an actual poet (if you havn't read his books you should) and a really powerful actor and rapper, penned some extremely powerful songs that really resonate to this day. Honestly me being a "Rap Purist" may be a function of being of the age when people tend to start families but I have no problem rationalizing what those rappers meant to me growing up and how they were important to society, but some of these other artists will be a little more difficult to be apologetic about.

With that said, rap is intertwined with a whole lot of poo poo that isn't positive and is sometimes damaging, but at the end of the day that isn't always rap/hip hop/r&b's job. Music is perfectly fine about being just about enjoying it for whatever reason, for its ignorance, or how it makes you feel, or just to roll some weed up to...whatever. I can't get enough of ASAP Rocky, Pusha T, Slaughterhouse, Battle Rap etc etc etc, but at the same time I don't personally think some artists that make music right now are very talented either lyrically or in the content of what they say. For example, I'm not a Gucci fan but I know a lot of people in the thread are. I'm a Childish Gambino fan, and I know a lot of people don't like him on the thread as well, but the purpose of the thread is to expose each other to what we think is good and people can make their own decisions and opinions from there, no?

All and all I just want rappers to put together coherent pieces of work and stories again, and if possible tell about how they see the world positive or negative. I bought Joell Ortiz's album and I can't wait for Big KRIT's albums because I think they have unique and interesting views and things to tell about their lives and how rap is intertwined with it.

TLDR;

I will be blasting Hot Nigga in my car on the way back home but I know that it's not really indicative of the rap that I love. But gently caress it sounds great.

Sorry for being all old man Ebro here and seriousing up the thread, ill go back to sticking to linking after this post, I swear.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 9, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

^^ Yes to the above 100 times, I get souped every time he does the hat throw....

There is a lot to type about but I'm going to keep it short since this has been eluded to: my rap tastes are mostly molded because of where I live and am from and the styles of the guys from when I was growing up. Just like everyone else I am a product of my environment. With that said, if you like a certain artist then they've done their job and its cool that you like it but I'm going to be just like B. Dot and pretty much hate a ton of the content coming out.

The only thing I will specifically note is that I very much disagree about Big L and Biggie and Pac and Pun being only known for being dead, those are some of the best rappers who ever walked this earth. It's silly to have a top 5 because of its subjectivity but outside of Eminem, Rakim, Jay-Z, Ye and Nas I'm not even close to putting anyone near those guys.

There is more than just that though, I stood in line to buy the CD's for Ryde or Dye Volume 1 and Diplomatic Immunity AND Lord Willing and Get Rich or Die Trying so I just don't wanna keep going back to the Mt. Rushmore of hip hop to talk about people I think are supremely talented. Like I said before there are specific people who come out with music right now that are really great at it, but there are so many more who I think just don't make very good music at all. Not everyone needs to go destroy 5 fingers of death for me to like them, but it sure as gently caress helps me to know whether they can rap or not. Even with that I think that guys like Oun- P, King Los, Astro, and Logic who can all REALLY rap won't make very albums or sell a whole lot. For me they fall into trap a lot of "lyrical" guys do and outrap every beat that they hop on and they don't have that "Radio Hit" kind of music making ability (and you need it). I really loving hate the radio anyway, but they have been and are going to be for the near future a driver of what people determine is "hot".

Basically what I want to get across is that there is no way I'm getting excited about anything a lot of the guys that I don't think are talented are doing while there's some really awesome stuff on the horizon : I mean, a DJ Premier/Royce Da 5'9" and a Run the Jewels 2 album coming out soon! I want to see more of Cyhi Da Prynce and Flatbush Zombies at the same time as wishing that Andre 3 stacks would drop a REAL solo joint. I think that we all agree about what makes rap great (or else we wouldn't post in this thread) but we are just going to have to disagree on who makes it great for us individually.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

alansmithee posted:

See, I actually agree with a whole lot of what you posted here. My main point wasn't that you have to (or even should) like everything coming out, it was that stuff in general coming out isn't de facto worse than some idealized time in the past, nor is it any less "real hip-hop".

Also, because I love tearing down sacred cows, of the dudes you mentioned the only ones I'd even consider near the "best" would be Em, Nas, Rakim, and Kanye (not so much for his actual rapping ability, but his whole production/music making ability).

Pac was an extremely average rapper. Like, he had some great songs but a lot of average/filler material. And it's almost impossible to separate his whole "Thug Life" mythology from his actual music output. Dude doesn't even have an album you can really consider "classic". Snoop in his prime was a much better rapper, but we also got to watch Snoop sell out about 20,000 times. Had he died around when Murder Was the Case soundtrack was released, he'd get the same type of treatment. You can say Pac is one of the greatest due to his impact or whatever, but based solely on music he's not even close to being at that level.

Big Pun was also pretty average. He's not even the best light-skinned fat puerto rican rapper. But again, Fat Joe didn't die so dudes don't talk about him in the same terms.

Ready to Die is arguably the best rap album ever. Life After Death was one really good album interspersed between a bunch of junk and pop cornball poo poo. Had he not died he'd be Ma$e (who when eh started was actually a decent rapper before the Bad Boy shiny-suit poo poo enveloped him).

Big L doesn't even deserve to be in the conversation with those dudes, and only reason dudes talk him up is because he's an east coast dude from that era who died. As I said, dude could rap his rear end off. But dudes like Danny Brown and Kendrick already have better careers than him, and rap better (honestly Kendrick's a better rapper than all these dudes-only Em or Rakim are touching him). Like imagine if Ras Kass got shot after Soul on Ice-that's Big L.

Dying early doesn't make your music better. It just means you had less time to make bad poo poo.

I see what you are saying here, and definitely agree that I have no the idea what the gently caress happened to Ma$e (well I do know, it was the same dude that created Loon and G-Dep).

I will say that Capital Punishment by Big Pun is a pretty amazing album....there isn't really much else from Pun but Fat Joe isn't that great to me....

So Mr. Cee apparently is reading my mind and dropped this today http://www.hot97.com/news/dj-mister-cee/tbt-w-mister-cee-noon-mix-1092014-audiodownload :circlefap:

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

cryme posted:

gently caress your skin color you're boring as poo poo

Welcome to the thread, contributor!

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

temple posted:

I respect Yayo but he is horrible and unnecessary. He raps the same verse. He's Birdman without the handrubs.

There is something magical about his "HERE WE GO NOWWWWW" shouts in the background behind every Banks Verse, live or in a track though.....

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

bows1 posted:

Anyone know anything about this rapper named Logic? Got invited to a listening party tomorrow and was wondering if it was worth going.

He can rap, that's for drat sure

Whether it's your style thats another thing....so here's some stuff of his to digest on

http://youtu.be/lWLleo7NKh8 (Freestyle)

http://www.audiomack.com/album/xclusiveszone/young-sinatra-welcome-to-forever (Mixtape that I thought was pretty solid)

TL;DR - Go to the party.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

doctor thodt posted:

Royce x DJ Premier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G9BffoByTg

Album's out Dec. 9 with features from Jay Elec, Killer Mike, Ab and Q

Solidified my pre order....

In other news, welcome back David Banner http://rapradar.com/2014/10/15/2014-bet-hip-hop-awards-cypher-vic-mensa-snow-tha-product-king-los-treach-david-banner/

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

thathonkey posted:

David Banner owns but holy poo poo 'Snow da product' is pretty... awkward... it's like she can't decide if she wants to be talking or rapping. (she sounds way more comfortable rapping in spanish though.)

Edit: i retract some of this criticism now that ive considered how hard it must be to rap in a non-native language

Its like she went to the Big Sean school of never catching the beat and keeping your flow the same no matter what the beat calls for (and I like Big Sean too, his style ruins the track sometimes)

Prime example https://www.rapradar.com/2014/10/14/big-sean-cosmic-kev-freestyle-2/

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 15, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Skeezy posted:

This poo poo is real as gently caress and on sale for $20 http://store.dipsetusa.com/item/29076

I really do miss that store Dipset owned and operated in Paterson, this would have flown off the shelves there

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

RBX posted:

Budden dropped OLS 4. Of course its hot.

https://soundcloud.com/eone-music/joe-budden-ols4

The track is great, but $6.99 for a 7 track EP Joe, cmon son.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

A3th3r posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfjtpp90lu8 "Blame it on this, got you in the zone"

Jamie Foxx should dip into the hip-hop pool more often. Movies are overrated.

That LOX track is amazing. I did not know those guys were that good, or maybe it's just that individually they are B-teamers.. Jadakiss has that gravelly voice which is cool but other than that I have never heard of those guys.

All right guys I think we are done here....time to wrap it up. /thread

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

A3th3r posted:

I'll second the love for this track.. Jay Rock channels his rage into hot songs, which I like.

Anyone else in SomethingAwful Rap thread wish Dr. Dre/Jay-Z/Eminem were still young & putting out badass tracks every three months? alansmithbee? doctor thodt? TenaciousTomato? thoughts?

I haven't been real impressed with Migos lately. They seem like teenagers in grownups' clothes.

http://bigghostlimited.com/big-ghost-presents-the-6th-annual-10-softest-niggas-in-the-game/
Ghostface Killa goes in with the commentary here (apparently it's not really him, it's actually just some blogger). I thought it was worth sharing in a rap discussion thread anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-qmZ_J7WGc
New Track from Ghostface. Pretty badass

e: I don't really understand the hate I'm getting from you, Yuzenn. LOX is a pretty good rap group but not great. Compare LOX with Jay-Z's company, Roc Nation: every single album the Roc has put out has been influential & successful, even the bad ones. Has LOX even put anything out recently that was good besides that one track? Name one hot song from LOX, Yuzenn, if you can even find one. I'm not trying to hate on LOX, I'm just sayin, they are not mainstream stars like Jay-Z/Drake/Rick Ross/Nicki Minaj, etc. Even Eminem does big numbers financially & he is basically a middle-aged dude.

I was not sure you were serious and trolling us all but I think you actually do not know about the LOX. By your logic Wu-Tang or the Ruff Ryders or the Diplomats weren't that great of a rap group cause they don't put up Jay-Z numbers (which is a completely terrible barometer of how to judge rap talent, otherwise Macklemore is top 5). By the way, the majority of Jay-Z's material was put out by Roc-A-Fella, not Roc Nation (which artists include WILLOW SMITH and only have 7 total albums produced since 2008). The LOX were signed to Bad Boy, which had tremendous success in its own right.

Lets get serious here for a second; have you never heard "All about the Benjamins", "We'll Always Love Big Papa", "Money, Power, Respect", "Wild Out"? I would find that very hard to believe unless you only recently started to listen to rap and then I would understand why you wouldn't know much about the LOX. If that's the case, welcome to the thread but you have some catching up to do listening wise.....

They don't put out "mainstream" music these days but their issue hasn't been the volume of music they put out, since collectively they have put out a TON of rap music over the years and i'm not even counting the easily hundreds of mixtape releases/freestyles and singles. Even looking at their individual careers Styles P and Jadakiss had one decent solo album (Sheek Louch is debatable but didn't do very well saleswise). Individually and collectively the Lox has had success and they are one of most iconic rap groups I can think of.

*On a different note that Slaughterhouse track is going to get me to pre-order that ShadyXV album, loving it.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 5, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

A3th3r posted:

I have not heard of those songs, Yuzenn, so I'll check em out later. LOX reminds me of Wu-Tang clan, which is not really my cup of tea per se (too jokey/corny). They seem to attract the sort of fans that are anti-mainstream just to be anti-mainstream. You know, like the people who hate Apple because it's so great, those sorts of people. I prefer more the 50cent 'How to Rob' brand of hip-hop.

Also, not trying to take you back to Earth from Hell or anything but Rihanna is like the biggest pop star in the world at the moment, signed to Roc Nation. Hate on that all you want. All I'm saying is when comparing the LOX to the ROC, the LOX loses, Yuzenn. That's all. Admittedly, Rita Ora is not -that- hot of a success anywhere but England, and in any case they are both pop stars & not really rappers per se.

On a different note, LL Cool J just dropped a new single that is pretty badass:
http://nahright.com/news/2014/11/03/ll-cool-j-break-your-face-prod-by-808-mafia/
LL Cool J Break Your Face

I like Macklemore. I think he's ok. That Cadillac song is pretty catchy and that Grammy Kendrick Lamar line was funny. Seems like the sort of thing I would do if I were a rapper. I wouldn't say I'm a stan of him or anything tho.

e:

lmao... ooookayyy Cool Buff Man you really got me dude. You are suuuuch a troll ohboy a real zinger from Cool Buff Man. Get out of this thread already dude

I loving love this thread.....

Somehow you know about Wu-Tang but not a group who made records with BIG, Mariah Carey, and Jennifer Lopez. I don't know if you are literally 11 or 75, or if this is the greatest troll in history.

Where do I start? Wu-Tang is jokey/corny? The Lox being Anti-Mainstream? How can you be into the "50 Cent How to Rob" rap and not the dudes who did it the same way right before him? The LOX was in the Ruff Ryders ffs, it doesn't get any more angrier and hardcore for rap in that era.

It's like you missed the entire 90's and early to mid 2000's catalog of rap.......

*Before we continue on this wonderous ride, I will reiterate that its foolish to make album sales the measure of an artists talent or relevance. If you are going to compare everyone else to Jay-Z or Eminem your list of people that are good begins and ends with them (Well really Kanye and Eminem because he's sold more than Jay).

Also, Rihanna has not released a single record under Roc Nation, they just manage her. This is comparing apples to oranges here however, the Lox are artists and Roc Nation is a record label. I mean Angie Martinez is on Roc Nation, Angie can't rap!

http://on.cc.com/QDjE4m skip to 3:30 to get that last part

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Haha holy gently caress I forgot that Lil' Mo ever existed, and goddamn Angie was fine when she was younger. O_O

Good find

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 5, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Kendrick speaking about "I" and the state of hip hop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tItZsMcLSRM

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Cadillactica out a day early for those who pre-ordered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

im gay posted:

Oh here's some big 18 minute cypher thing http://shadyrecords.com/2014/11/10/watch-shadyxv-the-cxvpher/

crooked i :stare:

"silencer so big it look like i got bobby shmurda tied to the barrel"

18 minutes to try to show us yet again that Eminem can rap, could have took a whole lot less time to prove that point....

Joe Budden's raps are so much better when he is semi depressed :drat: