Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

temple is probably the only poster here who makes long posts that is grounded in reality. "I" is a good song with a good message and just because it has a positive message and is a fun song that KIDS can get behind doesn't mean it has no merit you loving retards. Do you realize how pathetic you look when you dismiss any catch song with a positive message as "corny" because it's not made by some lame rear end internet rapper talking about how he has to ride (or drive, I guess) the bus?

Also alan you aren't half as clever as you think you are for spamming donglonger every time he gets brought up. Jesus Christ you're annoying.

Anyone who says "I" is a bad song is just honestly not listening well. It's not a bad song, the lyrics aren't terrible and its aesthetically pleasing as far as music is concerned. HOWEVER, I don't think most people can honestly believe that the same Kendrick Lamar that had people going crazy over his control verse also made "I". Is "I" really what he talked about killing the other rappers in the game with?? :cmon:

Kendrick has an interesting issue in that he made a very good, classic album very early on in his career and now people are going to expect that same type of music and will hold all new projects up to the GKMC standard for a long time coming. "I" doesn't fit that mold and some people aren't receiving it well. It's like Jay-z coming out with a 99 problems remix today after the slew of Blue Ivy related tracks that he has put out....it's just not him anymore.

If Kendrick wants to become the new Andre 3000 that's cool and all but people wouldn't expect that type of music coming from a dude from Compton.

On the subject of Macklemore, he is literally just stealing from rap culture(synonymous with black culture), profiting off of it heavily, and people are consuming it at a loving alarming rate. If the reason why he deserves a Grammy is because he makes uplifting music then Common should be swimming in them. poo poo half the reason his music is even tolerable is because of Ryan Lewis and people don't even act like he exists half the time and gets 0% of the credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Puseklepp posted:

The album My name is my name by Pusha T has several songs I think has kind of an 'epic' feel to it.

Like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmgEoh_r_XM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0M8djdJGnQ

I agree with this but Pusha T is a pretty big jump from Ye, so I think you should ease your way in with some Cruel Summer or Watch the Throne and then work your way from there.

You are looking for the nu wave type Kanye but if you want to go back to the Jesus Walks Kanye, I agree with the poster that talked about Mos Def. Also Cyhi Da Prynce is a good choice in similar content with a Chicago Feel....

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2014/11/18/djfunkflexapp-new-music-pusha-t-lunch-money-prod-kanye-west/

Pusha.....whoa, you let Ye go off the loving deep end on this one! The beat was so loving busy it was hard to even concentrate on the lyrics at all.

For once, I will say this is no bueno from my favorite rapper

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Killer Mike Mixtape: http://rapradar.com/2014/11/23/new-mixtape-killer-mike-sunday-morning-massacres/

Whoo Kid Shady Classics Mixtape : http://rapradar.com/2014/11/22/new-mixtape-eminem-dj-whoo-kid-shady-classics/

Realized that ShadyXV popped up on my itunes today and ZZZZZZZ. Disc 2 was fun with some throwbacks that I love but I probably should have stuck to just redownloading those individual songs and listening to just Detroit VS Everybody and Y'all Ready Know

At least PRhyme is coming out soon (and J Cole, but without a single god knows how thats going to turn out)

Side note: Beyonce 7/11 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4YRWT_Aldo She is goddamn killing the game and its all so drat catchy and fun. The video is equal parts enthralling and distracting and I'm digging it.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 24, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Holy poo poo at the comments on that video lol.

*any youtube video or comment section of any major website

Anonymity makes for some disgusting exchange

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I liked it a lot. It had a touch more "futuristic" production while still retaining that Southern UGK-ish flavor. It's a really good album. I think it's a subtle but distinct evolution from his general sound, while still retaining that KRIT style. It's not groundbreaking, but I think that's a lovely way to criticize an album. It's basically saying "if it isn't something I've never seen before, it isn't good".

Kreation, Life, Cadallactica, Mind Control, Mo Better Cool, Satyrdays = Celebration, and Mt Olympus are all great tracks. And there's not really a dog on the entire album.

My main complaint is that the mixing on the album version of Mt Olympus seems different than the youtube leak I heard. And I prefer the youtube leak.

Its a good album but its a lot more laid back sounding then I thought it was going to be. The reworking of Mt. Olympus works for the flow of the album but if you heard the original version you know why its not nearly as good.

Tbh the album makes for good and easy listening but I wanted more of the original Mt. Olympus swag. Its worth owning though.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

UoI posted:

It's a shame production doesn't stop a bad rapper from being bad.

Ross, gotta stop being skinny bro...we felt you when you were hefty....

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Beans got shot in the stomach today. Hope he's okay. The B. Coming is such an underrated album

A dude from Philly gets shot in Pleasantville, New Jersey.

Ain't that a hoot?

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

alansmithee posted:

Everyone's in such a hurry. Year's not even done yet!

Prelim list, I'll likely flesh it out more later but top 5 would be like:

Open Mike Eagle-Dark Comedy
The Stand4rd-The Stand4rd
Hurt Everybody-Hurt Everybody
Lucki Eck$-Body High
RTJ-RTJ2

honorable mentions
Busdriver-Perfect Hair
Migos-Rich Nigga Timeline
Pyramid Vritra-Palace/Indra
Yung Lean-Unknown Memory
Ratking-So It Goes
Chester Watson-Tin Wooki
DJ Quik-The Midnight Life

I still gotta give a more thorough listen to a few things though (HMM, Shy Glizzy, and a bunch of random stuff). Year started slow but there's been a lot of good releases. I think a lot of the bigger name stuff was kinda disappointing early, which made people think everything sucked. Also last year had a ton of good stuff so it was always gonna be hard to follow that up. Also like Noz said, if you think 2014 sucked for rap you should hear the music from 2014 that isn't rap because it's much worse.

I'm not going to post a top 5 or compare it to any one else's cause no one is going to even remotely agree with it, but I'm with you 100% on the final sentiment. Even looking at the variety in everyones lists that were posted here it shows that 2014 had a whole lot of good music releases. There may not be any hip hop canon classics or anything like that from 2014 but the music was definitely solid for the year.

It just gets all drowned out by the honestly terrible other stuff (Iggy comes to the forefront of my mind of award winners).

On another note Prhyme is a really good album, and so is J Cole's.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 9, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

RBX posted:

gently caress the lovely albums what were the top 5 songs of the year?

#1 Hot Nigga
#2 Hot Nigga
#3 Hot Nigga
#4 Hot Nigga
#5 Hot Nigga

If someone tells you that anything happened about a week ago and you don't throw your hat in the air and schmoney dance I don't even know what the gently caress to tell you....

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Prhyme is probably going to be in my top 3 for the year cause of poo poo like this:

gently caress you and your drat charts
And your crowd participation
I'm putting a land mine under your stage
Had his place raining fan parts
And called that poo poo crowd precipitation

Royce absolutely spazzed on each and every track and it's great!

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Robert Analog posted:

I had it on mine too.

Relatedly Los Awesome is my most played song of the year according to itunes

I like Oxymoron, I think it fits Schoolboy Q's persona to a T and bangs. It's nothing extremely memorable (outside of maybe break the bank), but it is drat solid for a first studio album.

I guess if I had to do a top 5 it would go like this

1) Joell Ortiz- House Slippers

I know I'm a New York Rap Homer, but I did not have high expectations of this album but I wanted to support and maybe hear some dope lyrics from Joell. What I got is a very cohesive album that has all the elements of a great album: club banger/radio record/bars/a song for the ladies/so on and so forth. Plus the Heatmakers couldn't do wrong with the direction they went with the sound album and it feels great. It's hard to break out of that freestyle/lyricist box and be able to make a really great album but Joell did it.

2) Pryhme/Beauty of Independence

This is a tie for me because I have been excited about Pryhme since the second I heard about it but Beauty of Independence came out of no where and G-Unit is still relevant as all hell . Fifty is so big in the game he can basically do whatever he wants and it comes out as a golden nugget, he's the example of consistency. I don't know a lot of guys I'd think of as being legendary that have sustained the level of success and production that he has.

3) Cyhi Da Prynce - Black Hystori Project

Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pqUVQO1XbM and you will see just a small snippet of what makes this album great. The lyrics punches and beats all go hard, and he even gets a cosign from a legend during the video. Cyhi is very quietly one of the most talented rappers in the game right now.

4) RTJ 2

I don't need to convince many people in this thread but I will say only my white friends know about RTJ2. I was in AC and I wore my RTJ shirt and I must have gotten

5) Forest Hill Drive - J Cole

I liked it the first time but upon multiple listens Forest Hill Drive (J Cole) really kicks rear end. Wet Dreamz, Fire Squad and GOMD are some tremendously good tracks....

Honorable Mentions

Joe Budden - Some Love Lost (I'm not paying for this 7 track album though, sorry Joey.)

Jeezy - Seen It All (It's good but nothing out of the ordinary from Jeezy)

Logic - Under Pressure (Kid can spit and it came together much better than I thought. He's got to stop out rapping his beats though, SLOW IT DOWN I JUST DISSED YOU. He doesn't do it intentionally like Big Sean but its a glaring flaw)

Lecrae - Anomaly (I rolled my eyes when I heard he was kind of a Christian Rapper, but I watched his interview with Ebro and decided to give him a chance. Dude is talented and its worth a listen at the very least, very good and vivid story teller and it while it obviously has a religious undertone but it isn't proselytizing.

DJ Mustard - 10 Summers (Just a fun album)

Pharrell - G I R L (Hey, this is a R&B thread too! Lets be honest though, this is some poppy poo poo, cosigned by the fact that my wife likes it)

Oxymoron - Schoolboy Q (YAK YAK YAK)

Mos Def - YASIIN GAYE (Yeah yeah I know its a mashup mixtape but it was good)

Childish Gambino - Kauai (I don't give a gently caress what you say, it's a DJ the gently caress Drama mixtape)

Cilvia Demo - Isaiah Rashad (I liked his BET Cypher and decided to give it a whirl and its good)

Disappointments

U2 - WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU STILL IN MY ITUNES...FUUUUUCK

Common - Nobody's Smiling (Common is one of my favorite rappers of all time but this is a goddamn snoozefest; it's like Kenny G easy elevator listening. It's not like Common doesn't still have it in him, Sweet was one of the best tracks a year or so ago but I guess he isn't mad at any lightskinned rappers right now)

Big Krit - Cadillactica (Don't get me wrong this is an ok album but the level of expectation I had was so much higher. The album just feels a little more laid back than I anticipated and took the wind out of my sails early on and I never recovered. The remixing and changes to Mt. Olympus were a loving travesty; I was joking earlier about Hot Nigga being the best track of the year but honestly in my opinion it was the original version of Mt. Olympus. I'm not even demanding that Krit to goes harder, cause King of the South is pretty hard track but I felt like the energy waned in and out and got even more laid back than a south rapper can be known for at times)

Upcoming

Ludacris always has at least an entertaining album so there is that and Fabolous has Young OG project, and if its anything like Soul Tape 3 its going to be absolute crack.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

bubblelubble posted:

In other news, Nicki Minaj's new album The Pinkprint is pretty enjoyable. Favourite tracks (so far) are Feeling Myself, Only, Pills N Potions, and Bed of Lies - but they're all pretty great. Rly glad Nicki decided to ditch the gross "California Girl Katy" act - she's much better now

Did she ditch the persona though? Outside of Only, the rest of it still sounds tremendously pop-ish. Now that's not a bad thing because at this point she is tremendously popular and her songs get a ton of spins and she makes a boatload of money.

I will say that she's so much closer to being a Beyonce type R&B artist who has Katy Perry levels of pop mixed in than anything that remotely resembles an actual rapper. She shows bits and pieces here and there of her actual lyrical talent like on Chiraq but otherwise I don't think there is any necessity for her to establish her rapping ability anymore.

I don't know if she's getting better or she's figuring out different ways to be relevant (which can be all that matters). I am with Rosenberg about HATING starships though.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0LNMviSTTg

Powerful new verse on Be Free by J Cole on Letterman

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

temple posted:

What is powerful about it?

I don't know if I'm getting trolled here but honestly did you listen to the verse at ~2:28?

After that watch the first couple minutes of his interview with Angie Martinez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqspvm3kwEw and that pretty much explains it all.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

temple posted:

Why call something powerful if you can't explain why?

Jesus christ you know exactly why I said that, and you are just playing dumb for some obnoxious reason. The original version of Be Free was already politically and socially motivated and J Cole added a last minute verse that really captures how even being powerful and famous and being given a platform can still make you feel helpless in this world. With all of the terrible things happening in the world it seems lately it really hit home for me and it also even took David Letterman back for a moment. There are sometimes moments that are bigger than just the notes and sounds of music and it came entirely out of nowhere and was powerful.

I commend J Cole for doing it.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Ludacris EP Burning Bridges free on Google Play today

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Nice! Can't wait for that to drop.

In other news, Migos and Bobby Schmurda to release a mixtape (forgive me if this was mentioned earlier)

http://hypetrak.com/2014/12/bobby-shmurda-and-migos-to-release-shmigo-gang-mixtape/

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

thathonkey posted:

i know i just thought it was cool for mike and el-p :smith:

nobody wants to talk best beats of the year? i made a list page or two back

HOT

NIGGA

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Good beat but Lloyd Banks used it 2 years ago on a song, I don't know if that counts. My answer: everything London on da Track did on Rich Gang The Tour

Touche.

Being serious though I guess the best beats of the year that I can think of would be:

Mt. Olympus (Big KRIT)
Wishin (Pryhme)
Cuffin Season Remix (Fabolous & G-Unit)
Don't Wait Remix (Chance The Rapper & Mapei)
They Don't Love You No More (DJ Khaled & a bunch of features)
Jack Tripper (Low Pros [Lex Luger & A Trak] Ft. Young Thug & PeeWee Longway)
Chandler Avenue (Childish Gambino Produced by DJ Drama)
Multiply (A$AP Rocky)
Chiraq (Nicki Minaj Ft. Lil Herb)
IDFWU (Big Sean Ft. E40)

Honorable Mention : Drunk in Love (Came out mid december in 13 but was all over in 14) and 7-11, both by Beyonce. It's hit after hit with her, and her songs get played EVERYWHERE (strip clubs, strip malls, radio, sporting events, etc.)

Also, BIG HOMIE and 0-100 by Diddy (I'm just gonna say it's Diddy's beat since he punched Drake in the mouth over it.)

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

the_american_dream posted:

ol rear end eatin kevin gates

All I can see right now is the face he made to DJ Envy when he said he wasn't into eatin rear end. Now with video link http://youtu.be/CKa3_0hG_8s?t=17m28s

I give him credit, he's real about everything he says.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 17, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Budget Prefuse posted:

i think the fact that you don't know how to respond to temple says enough. i'll agree that 2014 forest hills drive is an okay album though

Well there is no response cause apparently unless it's ASAP Ferg/Odd Future/Macklemore it's boring music. (Outside of Ferg there is a TON of boring music coming out of those artists)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the criticism that J Cole's album isn't good because "he's boring" because he's "conscious" is pretty lazy, and commenting that he doesn't have lyricism or wordplay means you didn't bother to even listen to the words at all.

And if you bothered to listen to the album Cole constantly admits to his immaturity and the struggle he has between being rich and famous while simultaneously feeling helpless about the world around him. Is this a new opinion in rap that's never been heard of or view of the world that we've never seen? Of course not, but not everyone is so honest about it. Moreover, its extremely relate-able to how people feel with all the terrible things happening around us, when most of us can only be concerned where our next check comes from instead. It's "hit home" rap and that speaks to a lot of people. Look at Let Nas Down, it's a really good introspective of someone trying to maintain the art but knowing that it doesn't matter if you can't be and stay relevant. If you need an example of a similar track listen to the third track "Wet Dream" for another retrospective.

It may not be your cup of tea but it's not bad music, or even bad for the culture or bad for the art.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 18, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

temple posted:

http://tumblinerb.com/post/54242835122/why-is-jcole-mediocre

I haven't listened to 2014 Forest Hill Drive. I don't need to pollute my ears, maybe over Christmas.

So you rely on bloggers to tell you if music is good before you listen to it? Gotcha.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Leonid posted:

yo nard, take a breather. Outside of 2 or 3 tracks, Born Sinner had the intensity of a daycare during nap time. Most of the songs are pretty unrelatable because they're all specifically about J Cole without actually being descriptive. And quit taking this so personally, you're getting too defensive when other people share different opinions about an album over the internet.

I think it would be interesting to have an actual discussion on why people think the album is bad instead of just jumping all over people's posts as soon as someone says they like the album. If we wanna use the blogger's post as a baseline for that discussion that's one thing, but the other stuff is getting so old. The worst part is I agree with parts of what Temple posted.

As for what I agree with of what the blogger was talking about for Cole, and it's if he is trying to be Nas he's got a whole long way to go. I think the Wale comparison is somewhat unfair because it seems like Wale is just unwilling to even attempt to be a rapper in anything but name anymore. There's a huge difference between the Nike Boots Wale, and the Lotus Flower Bomb Wale and that it's the amount of spins and exposure that each song gets him. I don't know if was trying to be the MMG equivalent to Bad Boy's Loon or something but it isn't appealing to me at all, but I'm not sure if I'm even his target audience at this point. Ladies are huge consumers too and popular songs that they like seem to do really well and get plastered all over the radio.

And the criticism that Cole only talks about himself is fair but people can still relate to the subject matter. At least the material is a little more mass consumable than a dude who letting you know he sells crack or dope or is murdering people in real life. Are that many of those listeners living that life? Half of the RAPPERS don't even live that life (Officer Ricky comes to mind here). Look at Bobby Schmurda, dude literally just got arrested in a drug and murder ring sting by the NYPD, which isn't surprising after he just dry snitched all over himself on the track. And on a certain level there is not a lot of reason why I would like his music, it's not some ground breaking production, his flow isn't that good and the lyrics definitely leave a lot to be desired. The beat and delivery though instantly rope you in and its a fun ride.

Robert Analog posted:

I like the bravado and stoicism in rap and don't want to hear anyone talking about their problems or emotions, those are my thoughts on Jermaine hope everyone has a good weekend.

Honest. I can get with this opinion.

Anyway, i'll drop it on the Cole album. Agree to disagree.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 18, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

alansmithee posted:

I at least appreciate the attempt to engage a bit more. Don't ever hedge or anything about actually trying to express an opinion.

And I think the comparison Noz was making was more with pre-MMG Wale, who was quite a bit different. As far as being relatable, his stuff doesn't seem to do enough to draw me in so I don't relate to much of what he says. I just don't find him good enough at his "thing" to make me care at all. Like I look at a dude like J.Cole, then I see someone like Kendrick (which is an admittedly high standard) and it just makes Cole's stuff look even more dull and empty. Or the album I've talked about constantly-"Dark Comedy". It's just way stronger in terms of what's being said than most of anything I've heard from J.Cole, and since dude's also not busting out crazy lyrical gymnastics or w/e there's nothing there to make me listen. I do appreciate what he's doing, and he's not "bad", but it's just kinda...there. He's probably a better "rapper" than a lot of dudes I listen to and like, but he doesn't make music I can recommend at all.

And as for some of the more "street" stuff-most of the dudes I actually like who are more lyrical or w/e are good enough to make me be able to relate, even if I'm not involved personally. Like, they don't need for you to actually have experienced what they're saying-they'll pull you into their world. Alternately, they have other things that make the music enjoyable. Nothing Migos say is particularly revealing or new content-wise, but the way they say it I find extremely interesting.

That's assuming you even need to "relate" to something to enjoy it. Like I'm not an asexual glam spaceman but I'll listen to Ziggy Stardust and enjoy it.

Yeah I know, I'm aware you don't have to relate in order for it to be vivid and have the picture painted for you. I think that's what you are eluding to, that's kind of the point.

Hell, Pusha-T is my favorite rapper and don't have much in common outside of being Black; but it's his delivery and flow that are dynamite every single time for me, no matter what subject matter. Plus the man makes drug dealing sound so loving cool :worship:.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Hearing any word related to :420: get censored made the Flatbush Zombies verses nearly unintelligible but it was also a giant Hennessy ad so of course they censored it.

I like some of Flatbush's stuff, especially live but holy gently caress that silly rear end flow they all have needs to change dependant on the beat. It felt so misplaced and with all the bleeping they got quickly skipped through.

Cyhi Da Prynce is so drat good though, and I can't remember one time he's every recycled a verse.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Kenshin posted:

Yeah ever since someone linked Black Hystori in here I can't get enough of him, he's really drat good.

Yeah that was me

This got me started on Cyhi, after hearing him on Cruel Summer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tY_M9nmris

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Merry Christmas, Indeed!

Cookin Soul Biggie Christmas

http://www.datpiff.com/The-Notorious-BIG-Ready-For-Xmas-mixtape.431881.html

New DJ Lantern Mixtape

http://rapradar.com/2014/12/23/336235/

New Joell Ortiz Mixtape

http://rapradar.com/2014/12/23/new-mixtape-joell-ortiz-yaowa-nation/

Now I'm much of a Wale fan but I just post links and if you like it, cool. New Wale & A Trak Mixtape

http://rapradar.com/2014/12/23/new-ep-wale-a-trak-festivus/

Young OG by Fabolous comes out tomorrow too. It's an actual release EP, so you know where and how to buy that. His 4th quarter releases have been strong for some years now, most likely won't disappoint for this one!

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Man I was just hitting random on my Itunes and flipped by a track I really loved....

What the hell happened to Don Trip? That Letters to My Son track with Cee-Lo was pretty fire but then he fell all the way off the side of the earth

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

THNDRTHF posted:

It's almost never just him on stage...

On New Years Eve at Madison Square Garden - my homie TJ dropped one of my remixes during the DJ set ^___^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imQ1t4PqI4A

That is an almost surprisingly white crowd right there

I guess not though, since the same thing happened when I saw ASAP Rocky and Pusha T at the Best Buy theatre, I think I brought 40% of the black crowd. We were on line talking about some of Pusha's Clipse performances in NYC and we got "who is Clipse?" :rolleye:

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

i think gates forgot how to give a gently caress a while ago

One too many jail bids....

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

this is a true post and it's also true that French Montana is great to listen to while playing 2k

I think this should be a subcategory of rapping - 2k rappers.

French is their king...

A lot of people are going to hate this cause - Gambino - but honestly he's so good when making songs like this. I will also stand by the fact that STN MTN/Kauai was a great mixtape/EP.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 10, 2015

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

temple posted:

Kendrick doesn't need to address Iggy or Macklemore because he will succeed by his talent. The jaw jacking race pleading with entertainers is bunk and fake activism. Iggy is the lowest rung on the social conflict ladder. If you looking for barely educated rappers to hold political discourse then you have the wrong expectations and probably immature politics.

I wonder what JaRule thinks....

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

im gay posted:

Korean/Japanese OG Maco, dope or nah? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPC9erC5WqU

Swipe left

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

this video of action bronson freestyling on the funkmaster's show has been making the rounds - it's insanely good even if it is almost definitely a prewritten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYfEpSgbfNE

to me this sounds exactly like her old stuff, like you could crossfade between this and 12 weeks and i wouldn't notice

I was listening to this on the way home from the gym and it was surprisingly good, I hadn't given Bronson much of a listen of late but maybe ill cruise through some of his tracks. The way he sounds like Ghostface is something I can't unhear though, so it's an uphill battle for me.

Flex is a loving dick rider though, my lord. Action Bronson is the best in the game? :cmon:

Just watched this and wow Astro is all grown and much more polished, sounds like GDep mixed with Black Rob in a good way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieF0N9QDWuA

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 15, 2015

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

A3th3r posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyLR4NfMiI
a little throwback action.. I swear that at one time Chris Brown was a legitimate threat lyricism-wise. I'm serious! This is not a joke.

Don't worry Wezlar, I got you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKedrQpH5fg

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

OH WORD SON posted:

new lupe sounds like old lupe and it fuckin RULEZ

I loving love it.

Wayne and Lupe are angry as poo poo at their past label and album situations and are back in hungry mode right now. Setting the bar real high already is so good.....

I have a feeling Kendrick's surprise album is going to be a let down though.....

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

thathonkey posted:

Come on yall i thought we were done responding to aethers extremely poo poo brand of opinion posts.

I dunno if people were referring to me but i loved gkmc just like anyone w half a brain im just afraid the followup is gonna be disappointing. Not suck, just not be anywhere near gkmc quality. People posted a bunch of fairly weak tracks as a supposed rebuttal to this but i stan by my original point. The control verse is technically fine but even in terms of stirring up controversy which is all it could do or mean not muh happened other than weak retorts by a bunch of weak off brand rapppers like papoose. Not sure how that is supposed to prove in any way that he has another gkmc in the chamber for us though cause then he went and dropped I :smug:

People treat GKMC like it's loving illmatic or something and I just can't wrap my head around it. It was a great album, don't get me wrong but the nut hugging that went along with the Control verse is off the drat charts. His ceiling is what could have been from an actual Andre 3000 solo career, and thats loving dope, but his recent stuff hasn't given me that feeling that it's going to go down like that.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I think he meant a higher ceiling than Andre 3k's solo ceiling which he never came close to reaching

This

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'M GOIN' BIG

SUCK MY DICK

I am convinced that Kanye West and Aziz Ansari's RANDY are the same drat person.

alansmithee posted:

Honestly I think his ceiling's a better than solo Andre 3k. Really Andre got super-overrated due to the 1 guest verse per year he started doing. And the Control verse wouldn't have been such a big deal if dudes didn't take it as a personal insult that they were a) mentioned or b) not mentioned. Like otherwise it's no different than all the "best rapper" stuff Wayne used to say, it's just apparently with a lot of dudes that's some great offence now (as an aside, it was kinda...sad? when Wayne stopped claiming to be the best rapper. it's like he knew he fell off. hopefully he starts that up again, since his last mixtape is actually really good)

The big worry I have about Kendrick isn't anything to do with his actual ability, it's that he gets a little too wrapped up in "saving hip-hop" and being some positive force for good or w/e and stops making just random good music. He's always had that running through his music, and I could see all the acclaim for GKMC making him go over the edge. The discussion about "I" has been thoroughly done, but I never thought that was necessarily indicative of the quality of his next album.

I feel like his saving hip-hop schtick is part of what makes him great because he actually cares about the impact that his music has in more than the "right this second" realm. It's a dangerous area to be in when you jump the shark and try to do poo poo that people aren't necessarily going to want to hear from you the artist. "I" is a track that SCREAMS that it is perfect for Macklemore, not really the nigga from Compton. I'm not saying that he can't be creative or stretch his legs a little, but too much too soon will completely cut his career short and then his message and music will get drowned out in the sea of other people trying to make it right now. Kanye West is a perfect example of completely switching his style up all the drat time, but it took a LOT of album releases for people to even give him the time of day on the more fringe/risky stuff.

I feel like it's kind of unfair to generalize Kendrick in just terms of "I", because I do like him as an artist. I do, however, feel like he is trending too far in that direction and it might not go over so well......

(Can we discuss Tetsuo & Youth in the cannon of really great albums? I've listened to it probably a dozen times all the way through now and finally got down to digesting the lyrics seriously and it loving delivers on all levels.)

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Dexo posted:

Mural, Prisoner 1/2, Chopper, Dots and Lines, and Adoration of the Magi are all easily up there with his best rapping rear end raps.

Mural is just a surprise steak dinner when it comes to the first real song on the album...it's 8 minutes of bars bars bars. Cop what he is speaking about too, it gets pretty deep in sections.

Prisoner 1/2 is beautifully delivered and designed and has some very unique story driven delivery themes. Halfway through the song it almost seems like it's over and BOOM it gets even better!

The rest of the album is so great but Deliver literally gives me goosebumps in the way that it drives home a very nuanced sensitive issue that becomes pretty easily digestible. The video that goes with it is really well done too (apologies for linking anything from WSHH but it's the best link I can find) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i90DrK5sFk. Lupe's delivery (puns?) and cadence are top notch all album long but this one shows how great of a lyricist Lupe really truly is.