Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Good call on bringing R&B into the mix but I resent that the OP says Atlanta isnt really the south. That better have been one of the "tongue and cheek" parts :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Who can hook me up with a CDQ/320 copy of Burrprint (Movie 3D)? Quality is pretty bad on all the ones I found.

PS. Trap House 4 is pretty drat good. I like it more than Brick Factory.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Robert Analog posted:

Since we're talking about R&B now too what's some good modern stuff. I really like Frank Ocean and to a lesser extent The Weeknd, what's the next step from there?

Not terribly similar to Frank Ocean/Weeknd but. you might like Janelle Monae anyway. The Archandroid album and the EP thing before it were great but her latest is just ok imho.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
The gently caress are y'all talking about? It's obviously a photoshop or the most painstakingly accurate re-enactment of all time. Everything below the neck lines up perfectly when superimposed and adjusted for size (keeping proportions, inverted to make the differences more obvious):

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Wtf does this mean -

thugher posted:

I met papi he say he good at uploading wallets

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Thread Guidelines/Rules posted:

Don't just drop links to songs/videoes/mixtapes with no discussion.

This is not a suggestion. TenaciousTomato is the only poster exempt from this rule because, well, he fuckin earned it and posts more pro clicks in any single post of his than most of you clowns have done in the course of your entire miserable career posting in Yo! NMD Raps (myself included). Dr Thodt is exempt also for the same reason.

If you don't give enough of a gently caress to write a single sentence or a single word or two why should anyone else give enough of a gently caress to click it?

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 15, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Robert Analog posted:

Is this a thing people really care about? Speaking of that extension that converts youtube links to titles doesn't work anymore. Anyone know of another one?

I turn off the embedded youtube player option because it kills my laptop/phone that i use to read this thread so it would be nice to at least include the artist or one or two words about the link. Is that really asking too much of posters?

(Or if you find a working extension that scrapes the same info off youtube that would also suffice (but i assume the one you used to have was rendered useless intentionally by youtube/google for some reason... Maybe it violated their tos). Also not all links are to youtube. Some are soundcloud, audiomack, or some random site)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Robert Analog posted:

Yeah that makes sense. I just don't blind click links until a few goodposters cosign it I figured that was what everyone did.

Yup that's exactly what I do but if everybody starts at least providing a bit of discussion along with their links, perhaps we can identify some new goodposters. I feel like I miss out on stuff when there's just single youtube links 10 posts in a row, especially when I'm out and about on my phone. Anyway, TT appears to be on board, as per usual :worship:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

double negative posted:

For a lack of a better place to ask this, anyone get on some good new beat tapes/instrumental albums lately? I need dom$olo to bust out some new poo poo or something...

We can discuss here for sure but there is a hip-hop instrumental thread where you might get better responses.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3613681

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

het posted:

FWIW, I agree with you that it's unhelpful to just post youtubes without any description at all, but re: embedded youtubes (on your laptop at least), this Chrome extension was a lifesaver, it doesn't actually load the embedded video until you click, but you still get to see the title, etc: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/sa-forums-lightweight-thr/ijdihgeikohegdnjbbgjkdaahpbkpnef

Awesome thanks!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Robert Analog posted:

Araabmuzik should just stop with his recycled beats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwyPEMIfmdY

Ive never understood the love for Araabmuzik. What are considered his best cuts? Everything i hear from him is pretty ho-hum.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Tremendous Taste posted:

About halfway through a year I've missed most of, best tracks/tapes?

It hasn't really been a stellar year for rap albums or tapes unless you like Gucci... Trap House 4 and Brick Factory are both pretty good. Migos No Label II was nice also.

As far as albums... Madgibbs was disappointing after so many delays but the first 1/2 or so at least is worth getting it for. Future - Honest, rick ross -
Mastermind, Q - oxymoron are all solid but nothing amazing. Ab's album sucked. Probably the best rap album so far in 2014 is YG's my krazy life.

Tracks on the other hand, there have been some bangers for sure. I am on my phone so i will let someone else post links. Some of my favorites that come to mind are Old English, Seen It All, and that Jay Electronica+Hov song i forget the name of...

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 18, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Dr. Shithead posted:

I really enjoyed Piñata, I found it to be a huge improvement from ESGN (which I also liked but I know wasn't well received). In a lot of the songs there was this masterful contrast between the beat and lyrical content/delivery. I also found the features to be well thought out (except mac miller because he had no business being on that album). I wasn't really on here when it dropped so I hate to ask this, but I'd love to know why you weren't to into it. I also didn't know it was coming out until right before it did, so that might also be a contributing factor to why I enjoyed it so much.

Can some one link me? I must have missed that one.

It is called "we made it" - http://youtu.be/vWvgwjCt5Y0

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Wezlar posted:

Ah yes I'm glad that after 5 editions of the thread someone has finally come to drop some knowledge on us about the Wu-Tang Clan.

Wouldnt have checked these guys out if not for that post. Really glad i did.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

the_american_dream posted:

Forgot how much that poo poo jammed until rewatching The Wire this weekend

Speaking of songs that made it into the Wire...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iamp67bPiek

Series had an appropriately superb music selection.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

InnercityGriot posted:

Stop getting nostalgic about Ja Rule you cornballs. Stream Shabazz Palaces
http://www.npr.org/2014/07/20/331345354/first-listen-shabazz-palaces-lese-majesty

We talked about it a good bit when it leaked a few weeks ago (it is in the old thread). The leak was low quality
So i hadnt given it a serious listen until now. It is kinda me/underwhelming so far, especially compared to Black Up.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Fuckin' FREE GUWOP. Man deserves to be free :worship: :worship: :worship:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
There is some article on Noisey/vice (aka the most hated publication around these parts?) about how they put together Gucci releases while he is incarcerated.

IIRC it sounded like he is pretty involved with the curation/quality control process even from behind bars.

Given the sheer amount of output, there are good songs on every tape and plenty of bad ones. You gotta give the man/his team some credit. Comparing his output to Lil B is kinda unfair.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

alansmithee posted:

man it's worse than that. he was supposed to have a winter album for LAST YEAR, then the early this year/summer stuff. i didn't like the first song of his i heard, but suwop serengeti grew on me a lot even though there was some questionable stuff and it kept cutting off beats i liked way too early.
and i really hate poo poo like that. like i remember when i first got a piece of strange and i was pissed the best thing on the whole album was like a 20 second snippet at the front of one of the songs. like dude you have something good let it go someplace don't cut it off smh

Last song on #SWOUP ends way too early/abruptly also (Studio Time). One of my fave beats on the album (full of good beats). This is the most common complaint I've heard from fans of SMT.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Neu! posted:

Maan, Who the gently caress says "owns" anyway? Talkin' like a punk rear end lil boy on Halo. What's with the tight booty hole, my man?

This post does not own :frog:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Neu! Raises a good point, here in the rap thread we should always make sure to use the nomenclature of real heads. Examples include; "spins" and "fucks with". Hope this clarifies a few things!!

We will also accept:

* goes hard
* bangs
* slaps

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Alvarez IV posted:

Still a fun time, but not something I'll do again in the land of the bourgeoisie.

Just FYI the demographics at most rap shows are like this. Even in Atlanta, the Juicy J concert earlier this summer was mostly white kids aged roughly 16-24. He drew a weird amalgam frat/rave crowd to some extent. When I saw Waka here it was a bit more balanced but not by much.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

Would somebody loving ban this guy already

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Umm what that beat is loving fire.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Is Oddfather a mixtape or album?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

phractured posted:

An album until he releases it for free –as he has done with his last several projects.

Is it worth buying?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

If you like Gucci sure,

Youre telling me there's people who dont like Gucci? :confused:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

Flocka's been doing really good poo poo lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwLvKRTpLX4

Yeah seriously this is nice as hell.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
There's this dude really mad on my FB about how Rich Homie Quan signed with YMCMB. That hasn't actually happened though as far as I can tell...?

I don't know P Reign but those were some nice verses. Any other stuff from him?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Lancelot posted:

Nicki's on a remix of Beyoncé's Flawless. The verse starts off a bit uneven (though she uses a voice I haven't heard since her mixtape days) but at the end it loving goes hard.

drat this poo poo owns for beyonce's part alone. the (very-much-above-avg) nikki verse is basically just a bonus after that.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Between Chiraq, Pills and Potions and that guest verse, I'm very hyped for the next Nicki album.

I guess it (Anaconda) leaked already but it comes out tomorrow? Very convenient timing given all the buzz created by Flawless (remix).

edit: if this has been posted already I missed it, sorry -
I can't find a Youtube of it but the title track - Anaconda - is on Spotify and is uh... very Sir-Mix-a-Lot-inspired but somehow it kinda works for me. I like all the Nicki rapping I've heard lately.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 4, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

I AM BRAWW posted:

Gangsta Gibbs dropped a video from a track on Cocaine Pinata.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZqPmUtQs2Q

Just occurred to me that I like this song on its own but would always skip it when listening to the album (despite it being on "the good half") which reminded me how bad the track sequencing on CP is. Also they should have cut like ~7 tracks.

edit: sorry to be super loving lazy but is the new underachievers good? their last mixtape (er i think.. lords of flatbush?) really turned me off to them :ohdear:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 5, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah I'm the same way. In my opinion, the problem isn't Freddie, it's just that the backing track gets pretty tedious, especially compared to tracks like Thuggin & Lakers.

A lot of the beats feel incomplete, like Madlib just started phoning it in halfway through. I still listen to the songs I like fairly often though (even Thuggin' which has been in rotation since I first heard it way ahead of the album).

edit: \/\/\/ drat, hadn't heard this before. owns \/\/\/

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 6, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
About that money remix feat Killer Mike and thugger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xosGFdD9UR4

edit: swapped link for youtube.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 7, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
it's a shame they wasted that beat on thugger dreezy

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Remember that song "Old english" from a little while back w Ferg, thugger, and gibbs? Is that coming out on somebody's tape/album at some point?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Just got around to listening to Gucci vs Guwop. Never ceases to amaze me that he still has well-produced bangers on deck...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6QLysq6iLQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRVKidycRQs

Does anyone know roughly what their methodology for producing pre-recorded verses is? Does the producer start with pre-recorded vocal tracks and then create a beat around them (I assume so in the case of, eg, Young Chop but are they all like this)?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Sorry if this was posted already but a friend just sent me this mixtape from a guy called MICK JENKINS. I had never heard of him before, but so far this is awesome and the production is right up my alley (lots of jazz influence, sample-heavy etc.):

https://soundcloud.com/mickjenkinsmusic/sets/the-waters

ninjaedit: I guess he is related to Pro Era somehow based on the producers and features listed ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
on the lookout for the first verse to be released about Mike Brown from a semi-legit rapper... (i say this because some random dude i went to hs with on my facebook has already "dropped" a verse whole song dedicated to the tragedy. I would link it here but id feel bad)