Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serbp
Nov 30, 2013
Hey guys, I recently started listening to Roc Marciano and Ka, and I was wondering if anybody could recommend (preferably newer) rappers who use the same type of production, or just actual producers if you can't think of any rappers

like similar to the beats 17:10 and 26:00 on this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1hDpufNXd0

and at around 34:00 and 37:30 on this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N92qRfDSxQ

serbp fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serbp
Nov 30, 2013

alansmithee posted:

Newer stuff is gonna be harder to find, but not impossible. Doppelgangaz are quite similar in production (although tbh I didn't like their most recent album all that much). Boldy James "My First Chemistry Set" is also gonna be similar, although Alchemist doesn't strip down his production as much (nobody strips their poo poo down as much as Ka, excepting some scattered DOOM beats). Jeremiah Jay [producer if you wanna check for his other stuff] & Oliver the 2nd's "Rawhyde" is also similar (also I forget how good this album is, 2013 had like a million good releases).

I listened to the Doppelgangaz new album and to Rawhyde as well, and I'm liking them so far. I'm also really liking that Boldy James album, more specifically the songs Moochie, Rappies, and Give Me a Reason. I've been recently listening to The Alchemist's work recently too, and I really like his style (his production work on Action Bronson's mixtape was amazing, and is the only reason I would listen to Action Bronson). if you could think of other stuff similar to him that's currently out there I would appreciate it (I also really enjoy when producers use old funk/jazz samples, or just try to have a jazzy/funky vibe with the song).

serbp
Nov 30, 2013

alansmithee posted:

I hadn't forgotten about this.

If you haven't heard them yet, check Russian Roulette (Alchemist's album) and Return of the Mac (Prodigy's album with Al on production). He also produced an album for Willie the Kid last year so you may wanna check that.

It's a bit hard to find more recent stuff similar to him just because dudes have largely been going away from sample-based production. You may like Quelle Chris (Shotgun & Sleek Rifle was really good, the other stuff isn't bad but didn't grab me as much). I'd also look for anything from the loose "Beast Coast" collective (Joey Badass, Pro Era, Flatbush Zombies, The Underachievers). They're not totally like the stuff you mention, but they're heavily influenced by the early/mid 90's sound so you can get a new take on it.

Also there seems like there's a couple newer things that are super-obvious that I'm missing that are more recent, but I can't think of them. Also if you're not averse to old stuff there's a ton that would fit the bill, but depending on quality or w/e it can sound a bit dated.

Thanks for the reply. Already know about Quelle Chris (I like a few other producers from Mello Music Group like Apollo Brown), Pro Era and Flatbush Zombies, and I like them. Although it seems to me after Capital Steez killed himself that Pro Era really isn't doing that much (I might be wrong and if I am you can correct me).

Also, I'm not averse to old stuff at all, it's just I wanted suggestions to see if there are new artists putting out stuff still. If you've got any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

serbp
Nov 30, 2013

temple posted:

LOL @ anyone thinking snoop can be uncool and that any rapper today is cooler.

lol @ anyone who doesn't realize snoop has just become that rapper white people namedrop when people ask them who their favorite rapper is

7 days of funk was alright though so whatever