Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I'm surprised how much of TPAB cribs from FLotus, it's not a bad thing just not what I expected going in. I'm all for more people doing that kind of hybrid material, not sure Lamar gets it quite as pristine as Ellison would have, but I appreciate the audacity. I don't know if I've got my head around the album enough yet to really rate it, let alone to make claims that its a classic, but i'm enjoying it so far which is all I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I don't know if inaccessible is the right word, it's just not shuffle-able, or play the hits-able. All you have to do to access it is play it like an actual record, from the first track to the last. If that's too hard for some people, then they don't deserve this music anyway.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

alansmithee posted:

Didn't know Cecil Taylor was posting here.

I'm too white to understand or relate to that reference. Why can't you make references that all of us can access? Gentrify yourself!

Back on topic though, I don't know if the drinking sound effect is the best or worst moment of the album, but it sure is soemthing.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
i don't know that listening to an album as an album is so much a gate as it is a slight step before the entrance; no-ones keeping you out and if you trip coming in it's your own drat fault and your own drat face you'll fall on. The point wasn't that this album is right to be inaccesible, but that its wrong to think its that hard to get in to.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Hmmm, I guess I just figure that the lack of up-tempo numbers, memorable hooks, catchy melodies etc. is only a flaw if there were botched attempts of those same things present. For the most part though the album does exactly what it seems to have set out to do, it's more just a subjective matter of whether or not you care for that particular thing. He ahs no obligation to be radio friendly. My main gripe after a few more listens is that a lot of the motif's aren't great enough to stand up to the amount of repetition he employs

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
If this is his Kid A then what was Good Kid? Surely as the follow up this should be Kid B.

EDIT: NYT describes the album, multiple times, as "Kendrick Lamar's Capacious new record". That's one way of putting it.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

Khagan posted:

I meant Kid A in the sense that it polarized the fan base when it first came out due to the shift in style but show up in top 10 lists years later much like the Radiohead album.

I'd guess GKMC is a Pablo Honey or O.K. Computer.

I think you took my lame pun far too literally, but that's fine. I wonder if Thom will bring Kendrick in for the next supergroup he creates that no-one will care about. There's already a connection through FlyLo.

Viginti fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 19, 2015

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Imma wait for a supercut of the chorus' to play on my local commercial radio station. That's how music should be heard.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I've never been able to take El-P seriously because my brain has merged him together with Bill Burr and therefor RTJ to me is what him and Huell were up to between scenes of Breaking Bad.

Even though I've just invalidated all my opinions I want to object to the idea that he is a 'great producer, ok rapper' as I don't really know that he produces all that well. I really like Run2 but it was in spite of, not because of the pretty puerile production he delivered. He has a real over-reliance on effects that were only impressive to eighth graders in the eighties. I will like Mike could have laid down those tracks acoustic and they would have been just as good, let alone what would have happened if someone else with real talent got involved.

Viginti fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I don't really know, something about El's accent I would guess. When he's rapping it sort of turns from Brooklyn into Mass. Plus, they're both coarse, uppity white guys?

Look, it's not really a defensible position, it's just what happens when I listen.