Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The story of adidon still one of the coldest diss tracks ever

I kind of like gritty battle tracks. Ten years ago we had Gucci's Truth. More recently NBA YB's I Hate Youngboy is fun when you get over expecting bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

err posted:

It's funny to see new artists being inspired by that era. "Yeah, Black Kray was a big influence on me". Felt so recent but it was 10 years ago.

I knew I was getting old when Young Thug started showing up on the 'Influenced By' field on the Wikipedia pages of popular rappers.

On that note the best song title in hip hop history has to be 'Constantly Hating'.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Also I’m pretty sure he’s facing some rape beef or something.

Rap berf? SJ? Nooo, can't be.

I don't listen to anything he has put out but I am kind of curious how his IG belligerence transfers to the stage.

NBA YB: stop the violence
SJ: gently caress that everybody gotta die

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 16, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

re: datpiff

I want to see a Dedication 7 before a Carter VI.

Dedication 5 is still my favourite mix-tape and people just sleep on it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

What is up with Jay? I went to his Twitter expecting more whackiness but it's just him asking religious questions to celebrities and being ignored.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 14, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

lol then amongst all that there's this

"Warning: Mercury is Not in retrograde. She just probably need a lil cashapp."

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Angryhead posted:

Dedication 2

Certainly has the best DJ drop I can recall.

"I put a couple pounds on since the last go-around"

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

This didn't get attention so I'll vomment:

Nicki Minaj is living up to the Shawn Carter bit about 40 being the new 20. I still expect her to be creative and in touch.

What I fault her for, and have a hard time getting past, is A) her positive reference to Ellen Degeneres on a previous diss track, B) her mistaking a pap smear to mean ditty genitals not once but twice.

Then again Sosa let's us know he can have sex with our mothers on at least three different tracks.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 16, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Pardon my ignorance but who is Boosie Badazz and why do reporters treat him like the Mayor of Rap Music?

Am I missing out on a dope mc just because his name is too ridiculous to type into YT?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

T-Pain nailed his Tiny Desk performamce so hard that NPR gave him a full concert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG8_OxI0J2Y

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Boywhiz88 posted:

Young Thug

Thank you for the run-down on Boosie.

For some reason seeing Thugger's name made me wonder where the third big Rich Gang star is right now. Haven't heard from Rich Homie Quan in a minute. He had some nice wordplay on mix-tapes.

Maybe like with Roddy Ricch you just can't have Rich in your name and expect to stay paid.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Someone mentioned Juicy J above and lol found this off the old front page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkT1RFDWS8I

quote:

If you don't like trap rap too much check out this 80 minute trap rap magnum opus by 40 year old Academy award winner Juicy J and these things on it: 1. Lots of variety! Sick smooth breaks from the Luger beats and even the Luger ones get weird one of them has like a weird prepared piano!! 2. Most beautiful trap rap love song ever written "Lucky Charm" ode to the special girl Juicy J found that also likes to smoke weed and say stuff about it 3. Cool refs to PS2 and cough syrup, that's one fine day off of 4th grade if you ask me 4. When he says the girl can't have the racks unless she picks that poo poo up off the floor it sounds like he's saying demands to his daughter for dinner time

Why can't we have such quality journalism anymore?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Listening to It's Almost Dry again. Guess it grew on me. Not as nice as Daytona but at least it's full album length.

Let's not talk about Kanye West but I think it was him that started making records around twenty minutes long during a phase.

e: Pusha raps about naming his kid Brixx and I had to use Wikipedia because ???

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 21, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

is pepsi ok posted:

Daytona is the perfect rap album. 21 minutes, not a second wasted.

No real skips. There are a couple tracks I want to put on repeat but you might as well play the whole album again.

Infrared is so catchy. Duppy rivaled it lyrically. And then Pusha went for a TKO. But for the record my favourite diss based on real life information is from Rick Ross of all people:

"Burn the house down, you gotta buy another
Don't forget the gas can, jealous stupid motherfucker"

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 21, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

This thread is about music and musicians.

Not sure what thos dude is anymore.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Who's better T.I. or T.I.P.?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Sigh. We can't have Gucci Mane and Jeezy features on the same track even in 2023.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Where my man Montana of 300 at? People just not making hit single he can eat in the remix?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Reminder for everyone loving SZA to stream Santigold.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Today is the anniversary of this line by Lil Yachty

quote:

My new bitch yellow She blow on that dick like a cello

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Johnny Truant posted:

(before Kweli got Twitter brainworms)

Whaa? I want to know which flavour so I can keep a tally of who became which variety.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

abraham linksys posted:

young thug's case going well

Legal professionals of the rap thread tell me if something like this is grounds for a mistrial.

How can a jury not be influenced by seeing one of the attorneys taken away in handcuffs?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It's a little bit funny to me that they're pretending YSL stands for Young Stoner Life because it looks less shady than Young Slime Life.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Marching Powder posted:

how do kids know waka? he'd be like a grandpa to them

Old Gucci?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Is there a Waka album worth listening to?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I know I'm late to the Frank Ocean party but I'm listening to his two albums and I like what I hear but like how do I listen to this by the time a song gets good it gets switched up.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Maybe the less said about the Fivio & Ye track the better. But it's hard to hold my tongue: It's not as bad as it is sad. And it's bad. Bad enough to make their earlier work together less cool.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Someone more in tune tell me if we'll see another Frank Ocean album anytime soon. I just started my love affair and want more. Even with the suggestions itt.

I think chanel ORANGE is superior to Blonde. It has a number of really solid runs especially 'Crack Rock' through 'Pyramids' and 'Lost'.

But the opener to Blonde... yeah. It starts off inane and then "You must be on that white like Othello".

atrus50 posted:

and if the 360 deals cover that kinda thing

Do deals for rappers include clauses they can be dropped or penalized for public bad behaviour? I'm sure there is a clause that if you go to prison for too long you can't hop out and just expect to do album X of a Y album deal.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Rageaholic posted:

I just started MICHAEL and the production is excellent, if nothing else.

Was your post inspired by the one above it? :D

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

40 lbs to freedom posted:

ya the new tracks bang but fake versace/everybody in the club gettin shot/etc era was insane

I have a serious soft spot for rap song titles that are entertaining in their own right even if you never listen to the song.

My all time favourites are "Constantly Hating" and "Kick a Door". But a lot coming out matches my above description.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

All My Life is the first Lil Durk track I liked more than the tiniest bit. His cadence at the beginning is like an instrument against the beat. Like the strong syllables land between the strong drums. J. Cole's verse switches up the flow.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 18, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

hybridnoisebloom posted:

i pretty thoroughly hate durk but i am obligated as a midwest head to tell you to listen to dis ain't what u want, absolute chicago classic

Oh man. This is wild. I'd never heard any Durk like this. He sounds so much like a GBE or 300 rapper circa the early 2010s. (Although maybe that's just the Chicago sound from the time?) Comparing Dis Ain't What U Want to modern Durk tracks in terms of the lyrics and voice he uses is like the difference between, appropriately, old and new Sosa. And in terms of physical appearance between old old and new Wayne.

e: The top comment on the YT video is "The amount of people dead or doing life in this video is crazy man" :(

Wonder if Malice pulls a Ma$e and gets back into violent lyrics on his own work or is it just for the reunion.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 18, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Thanks for the material. But as to the last one the very best part of AHHH HA is that Durk poked YB with a sharp stick and YoungBoy responded by instantly firing nunclear missles in all directions.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 18, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

in cannabis veritas

I don't think weed makes most people lie under its influence. Talk poo poo for sure. Lil Wayne said he was going to live in France to learn French and rap in that language; and no doubt he had every intention of doing so while so blasted he didn't even remember when an intervier questioned him on it. But he didn't say he had tickets booked to Paris.

That said I might actually enjoy a Killer Mike and André 3000 collaboration and I don't even like KM apart from like one mixtape or album.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 22, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

For what it's worth a lot of it other than the fact he texts them could be in their head. They're kids and fans even if they're celebrities themselves. So talk of a "special connection" in interviews could be one sided.

That said most people never get in the position where people question exactly what your intentions are in texting a child because they don't text children.

I like Stranger Things as much as the next person but if one of their managers gave me their number and said it's fine to call they'll appreciate talking to me I'd be like 'Oh. That's alright. But tell them they did a good job and to keep it up.'.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 24, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

No new music to add just an anecdote about how someone I knew in medical school was sending me something sensitive & password locked, and he made the hint "best Lil Wayne album case sensitive no spaces".

We hung out a bit in grad but we didn't know each other like that. So I'm proud of him for having the objectively correct take on this and proud of myself that he thought I could catch it in one.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Marching Powder posted:

in one? bullshit. actually, i guess album narrows it down a little. if he'd said tape or project then i'd call bullshit. what was it?

Yeah it was specifically best album. And when I say I got it in one I can't really brag because I did have to look up whether it's spelled out as The or Tha.

It was the 3rd. Although I know that's gotten more controversial in recent years.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 29, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

All that's left with the gun control situation is for Killer Mike to turn around from putting down gun control and say "Black people, stop carrying firearms. It creates tension between the ethnic groups and leads to tragic misunderstandings with the police.".

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Only decent young rapper out right now is YB

cmm I'd be happy to be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Hahaha, top DAAWG