Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I REALLY wanted to like Cardi B’s album because I love good female Rap artists. Missy and Lauryn Hill are top 10 tier for me on overall Rap legends.

But I just can’t get into it. She flows and the beats are great but there’s like......zero emotion in her voice. I don’t believe anything she’s saying. It sounds like the lyrics were written for her and she’s just reading them with some swag if that makes sense.

When Lauryn Hill raps I’m totally into everything she’s saying, but this doesn’t feel right.

I don’t like her personality but Azealia Banks’ new single Anna Wintour is better than pretty much everything on Cardi’s album. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Anyone else just happy shoop de poop de scoop didn’t make it into any songs on KSG and instead we have braaaAAAT KAKAKAKA ra ta ta KAKAKAKA (which is my favorite part of that song)?

I wonder if that was intentional, it’s so similar but not.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

40 lbs to freedom posted:

kanye is an F-tier christian with no business making contrived gospel music for profit and if youre excited for this i literally hate you

An album full of ultralight beams would be fine with me so I’m excited to hear it, sorry OP. (Wtf is an F tier Christian? )

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

This list makes me so confused. ZERO Janelle Monae? Zero Sia. Zero Gaga (I’m really surprised The Edge of Glory isn’t here) - Songs like Lazarus by Bowie not making it but Cupcakke and Nicki Minaj “come on a cone” making it? No set fire to the rain or Hello by Adele?

WAY too much Drake on here. Grimes at #2?

Lists are weird.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I guess I’m in the minority in terms of the production- I think a lot of it sounds really fresh and I’m digging the vibe. The lyrics on the other hand....................so so so bad.

I think it’s better than Ye, but several tiers under his best work.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Dexo posted:

This is not better than Ye

This does not have Ghost town or the hook to Yikes

Counterpoint: Ye is a dumpster fire and all the tracks are forgettable and bad and it should have never come out.

Kids see ghosts was decent at least.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

https://twitter.com/XXL/status/1187436935700271106

Well at least his modesty is still there.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1188982758359601157

Well at least some people like it.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

*logs on Twitter*

*people freaking out saying the new Ye track sounds like something from Yeezus*

*RUSHES TO LISTEN*

*disappointment intensifies*

This was my morning so far.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I liked his verse on Kids See Ghosts. That’s all I can think of off the top of my head.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://twitter.com/ItsDanSheehan/status/1419546159874412544?s=20

Thoughts? I like this thread because of the relative variety of opinions and tastes. I think it’s a good challenge to our status quo of perception of mental health. I don’t think anyone can look at Kanye in the past 5-6 years and say he’s been OK.

I know there are some factors in play like Kanye’s relative “normalcy” for so long, even though there are events going back to 09 that could be pointed to as a guy who’s going through it.

Also, his mental health “events” are used publicly and sometimes promoted. One of Britney’s most famous “freak outs” is her shaving her head and attacking a paparazzi’s car w/ an umbrella.

That’s a very different kind of event than “spending $$$ to sleep and eat in a stadium while it’s still being used normally.”

Another aspect: being forced into treatment vs actively avoiding treatment. Britney’s situation is 100x more sympathetic to the regular person who isn’t up on everything. “Her father has kept her in a conservatorship for 15 years, and she isn’t allowed children or social media” vs “Kanye gets to do whatever he wants.”

Even when writing this, it’s hard not to think of Kanye as an rear end in a top hat. But they’re both tragic situations. He should get to chill, be happy, and be a good dad to his kids. Not be some weirdo has-been in the mountains of Wyoming, because no one could help him.

Here’s the thing: Britney was the result of misogyny and an obsession with controlling women. She “went crazy” because the paparazzi never left her alone, she LITERALLY couldn’t take a poo poo without cameras in her face. Her holding her baby in a vehicle because she was scared was turned into “Britney is a bad mom” - her drunk with friends in a car was “Britney is bad! Look” - it was extremely misogynistic and bad. She shaved her head because she wanted to strip away from being Britney. To this day in the conservatorship - Britney is trying to distance from her family , she has no friends, will have major trust issues and will face the same misogyny when she gets “free” - she is already facing major criticism because she went topless on her Instagram page recently (completely covered mind you) - like she owes nobody anything, she doesn’t need to apologize for being herself and sharing whatever the gently caress she wants to share.

Now Kanye? Completely different. Bipolar or not, he’s attacked Wiz Khalifa, saying he owns his son, he’s compared himself to Jesus and not ironically, he went on a tirade about a guy in a wheelchair at a show, bashes Beyoncé and jay z , supports Trump - which fine, anyone is allowed to believe or be in whatever party they want to but then he went out of the way to criticize Harriet Tubman, met with Trump, said racist things, breaks down talking about abortion, claimed Bill Cosby was innocent, defended R Kelly, said slavery was a choice, wore a MAGA hat, and so much more. I can acknowledge a lot of these things came from manic episodes but it doesn’t excuse it either - like Britney never went out of her way to be a narcissistic rear end in a top hat, she was ALWAYS in her own lane.

I WANT to like Kanye but GODDAMN. Enough is enough.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

alansmithee posted:

LMAO at "well Brittany's mental health issues were cause of Misogyny but Kanye's were just cause he's naturally a bad guy!" Seriously this post is dumb enough it reads like something I'd see on r/conservative or something.

That’s not what I’m saying- I’m saying Kanye’s behavior has been bringing other people into the mix and he’s been lovely for years so yes- I sympathize he has mental problems and I wish he gets the help he needs but Britney never had this problem and her whole situation is completely different as it deals with misogyny more than anything.

Britney doesn’t need to apologize for racist tirades. Kanye’s mental state has put him in a position where he now has to regain people’s respect.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Is it just me or does Kanye bring all the tracks down? The Weeknd on Hurricane is great and then Kanye pops in and the song just goes downhill.

…….I just want Abels album I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

After a few listens to let it marinate a bit I’ve decided Off The Grid is a pretty great track, and Hurricane is not bad either, Moon has potential (reminds me of TLOP) and Jail is decent.

The rest is forgettable and I really don’t think I’ll be revisiting any of this album beyond Off The Grid and maybe Hurricane.