Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

:siren:Quarterfinals refchat:siren:

We have an interesting set today as the All UEFA match is refereed by a non-UEFA referee (from CONMEBOL) for the first time this tournament and an all CONMEBOL match refereed by a dude from UEFA.

France x Germany
Ref: Nestor PITANA (ARG)
AR1: Hernan MAIDANA (ARG)
AR2: Juan Pablo BELATTI (ARG)
4th: Jonas ERIKSSON (SWE)
RAR: Mathias KLASENIUS (SWE)

I said Eriksson would be back! Anywho, Pitana has had a pretty good tournament IMO. His three previous matches include Russia x South Korea, USA x Portugal, and Honduras x Swtizerland. Being from Argentina, his tournament could very easily be done after this match. There is an unwritten rule that if your team makes the semi-finals you become unavailable for selection for the final four matches. This could be the last CONMEBOL referee we see with a whistle at this tournament unless Brazil gets eliminated, in which case Ricci might get one of the last four.

Brazil x Colombia
Ref: Carlos VELASCO (ESP)
AR1: Roberto ALONSO (ESP)
AR2: Juan Carlos YUSTE (ESP)
4th: Svein MOEN (NOR)
RAR: Kim HAGLUND (NOR)

Surprised is definitely a word I would use to describe the selection of Velasco to a QF match. Previously he was on Uruguay x England and Bosnia x Iran, and in neither case did he really stand out. I didn't think he had the greatest of performances in the first of those matches, either. But, all the same, with Spain eliminated, a good match here could see Velasco have his hat in the ring for a chance at the final. Well, that is assuming that FIFA thinks its possible to give the match to anyone that isn't Ravshan Irmatov. I'll talk plenty about him tomorrow because somehow he has a QF match as well. Anyway, I'm a little worried about Velasco in this match, so hopefully he proves me wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread