Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

steven ballmer has steered microsoft into an iceberg and now the windows enterprise cash cow is taking on water. maybe satya can double the price of an office 365 sub to make up for it ?

VMware posted:

The Apple Enterprise Invasion

Microsoft Windows has dominated enterprise desktops for close to three decades but it appears its reign is coming to an end. As BYOPC and BYOD continue to transform the enterprise, Macs have become a popular and preferred option compared to Windows PCs. However, complex questions and challenges have risen around the support of these two very different platforms.

Since business computing has very unique requirements with legacy Windows desktop infrastructure and application ecosystem, we decided to dig a little deeper to try and understand what IT administrators think about the growing heterogeneous environment.

As a result, VMware commissioned a survey of 376 IT professionals conducted by Dimensional Research to assess the current state of enterprise desktops and created a report titled “The Apple Enterprise Invasion.” We are releasing the results for the first time today and they clearly show that Windows is losing its grip on the enterprise.

End-User Preferences

Perhaps the biggest takeaway from the results is that Windows is no longer the platform of choice in the enterprise with users overwhelmingly preferring Macs. User preference is the top reason given by IT administrators as to why their organization supports Macs with 73 percent of IT administrators identifying it as the main driver.

As a result, it should come as no surprise that the study found that 66 percent of businesses are already using Macs in the workplace today. But as we all know, end-users will work around corporate IT if they don’t get their way but the study found that a large majority of companies – more than 70 percent – officially support Macs as a corporate endpoint.

In addition, Windows PCs clearly have a perception problem with the top three justifications from employees for wanting a Mac being:

Macs are easier to use (73 percent)
Macs are cooler (52 percent)
The Mac display is better than Windows (42 percent)

While employees clearly prefer Macs, there are challenges from an IT perspective that Macs must overcome before they can replace Windows PCs in the enterprise.

IT Perspectives

Although end-users think Macs are easier to use, IT administrators have a different perspective with 75 percent who feel that Macs are not easier to support than Windows PCs. And contrary to popular opinion, 75 percent of IT administrators said that Macs do not offer increased security advantages.

Adding to the challenge, many critical business applications cannot run on Macs today because they were designed for Windows. In fact, 64 percent of IT administrators indicated that none or only some of their enterprise applications run on Macs today.

When considering Macs for use in the enterprise, the top capabilities that are most valuable to IT administrators are all related to productivity and security:

Ability to run Microsoft Office on a Mac (59 percent)
Ability to enable secure access to enterprise applications (59 percent)
Ability to run Windows on a Mac (41 percent)

As you can see, supporting a new OS platform is not as easy as one might think. Application support and compatibility issues are not things that end-users think about but they are critical for IT departments to fully assess and consider.

Bridging the Gap

Fortunately, virtual desktops can serve as a helpful tool to bridge the gap between two disparate operating systems and it’s not just VMware claiming this. The survey found that 89 percent of IT professionals stated that it would be valuable to have a virtual desktop that can run Windows on a Mac and 91 percent of respondents valued the ability to run the same virtual desktop on multiple platforms such as Windows, Mac and Linux.

Virtual desktops allow organizations to standardize on the Windows platform and support legacy business critical applications without any interruption to business while still giving employees the option to select the computer of their choice.

For companies, the choice is very clear – they need to respond to end-user demand for Macs in the enterprise or they will find it difficult to recruit and retain the best talent on the market. They also need to provide IT administrators the tools to support a heterogeneous desktop environment otherwise there will be disruption to the business. Virtual desktops such as Fusion Professional can be a tremendous help for companies in this situation.

https://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2014/06/apple-enterprise-invasion.html

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

bump

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

what are you saying here cremnob

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sharktopus posted:

hes telling us about the state of his brain

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Sharktopus posted:

forward thinking CJs gotta get on the mac train in the enterprise

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

just install good from the appstore, nbd

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

cremnob posted:

forward thinking CJs gotta get on the mac train in the enterprise

just fyi this will never happen

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

its already happening

quote:

At multinational firms like network-equipment giant Cisco Systems Inc., CSCO +0.64% Apple is going mainstream. Cisco in 2009 adopted a "bring your own device" policy under which employees purchase their own phones and tablets, with Cisco paying the wireless bill in certain instances. Now, iPhones and iPads account for nearly three-fourths of the 70,000-plus mobile devices supported by Cisco's tech department.

Apple laptops spread quickly after Cisco gave employees the option to switch from Windows-based laptops. Today, one-fourth of Cisco's company-provided laptops—roughly 35,000—are Apple MacBooks. Macs cost more than PCs, a hurdle for Apple in the past. After taking into account factors like maintenance and support, Sheila Jordan, a Cisco senior vice president, said the costs end up about even over the life of the machine.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304244904579278560822979176

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah BYOD isn't some sign of coming Mac dominance in enterprise. It's a lovely idea that will collide with reality as time goes on and IT infrastructures start realizing they're spending way too much time CJing everything and that VMs and Cloud poo poo don't solve it. Then it'll be back to standardizing on specific supported hardware again.

There's nothing I enjoy more at my job than telling people they can't have Macs, outside of people with their own discretionary funding that get so mad at us for refusing to support them that they go out and buy their own, then act surprised when they can't get their work done and ask us for support to which we say, "Sorry, your Mac isn't in our supported model. Could we recommend an HP or Dell workstation?"

edit: Actually BYOD for phones seems to be fine IMO if you think I'm being lovely about it. Not much difference really between any of the smartphones anymore as far as supporting the basics.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 5, 2014

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it seems like everyone uses Mac now. and not just in a confirmation bias kind of way. those who aren't using Mac are using and iPad or iPhone. or they work in a call centre and they will be replaced by Siri.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Yeah BYOD isn't some sign of coming Mac dominance in enterprise. It's a lovely idea that will collide with reality as time goes on and IT infrastructures start realizing they're spending way too much time CJing everything and that VMs and Cloud poo poo don't solve it. Then it'll be back to standardizing on specific supported hardware again.

There's nothing I enjoy more at my job than telling people they can't have Macs, outside of people with their own discretionary funding that get so mad at us for refusing to support them that they go out and buy their own, then act surprised when they can't get their work done and ask us for support to which we say, "Sorry, your Mac isn't in our supported model. Could we recommend an HP or Dell workstation?"

edit: Actually BYOD for phones seems to be fine IMO if you think I'm being lovely about it. Not much difference really between any of the smartphones anymore as far as supporting the basics.

actually until you made that edit i thought this was copy and pasted from like 2008 :(

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Generally with my users the people you see using Macs are usually really stupid, and don't do any real work. Or literally the only thing they do is read and send emails.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

you life sounds pitiful

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
not enough pleasure

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

people are flocking to iPhones...which they use to check their email from an exchange server. iPads are also popular...and are being used to check email on an exchange server and as dumb terminals using poo poo like citrix. and anyone who does anything even remotely important is still using office

i mean yeah ok microsoft has made some terrible loving decisions and hilarious fuckups over the last few years, but ultimately they are still absolutely enormous in the enterprise and it will take many many more years of constant fuckups and bad decisions to seriously erode that market share

if ballmer was still at them helm, yeah i could see that happening, but now i think theres a chance microsoft will pull some of its hydra-like heads out of its rear end and realize that enterprise is where they excel (hah) and make money, while consumer poo poo is just not a strong point worth pursuing

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
byob: aka making your employees use their own poo poo so you dont have to pay for it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

PleasureKevin posted:

you life sounds pitiful
It's pretty alright actually, everything runs pretty smoothly when the zone construction people aren't accidentally knocking the power out and digging up fiber trunks constantly like loving morons- which they do every summer

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

byob: aka making your employees use their own poo poo so you dont have to pay for it

yeah pretty much. byod with phones is borderline acceptable...i'll always prefer a separate work phone (cuz i can turn it the gently caress off), but some people would rather just have one, and you can totally sandbox work related stuff

but byod for regular computers? pfffffft hahahahah eat poo poo

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

AS PART OF COST-CUTTING MEASURES TO HELP MITIGATE RECENT LOSSES DUE TO CHALLENGING ECONOMIC CONDITIONS WE WILL NO LONGER BE STOCKING TOILET PAPER IN THE RESTROOMS.

ps gently caress you, more land rovers for the C-levels

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also I've never seen an iPad used in enterprise for anything that justifies its purchase price and couldn't be done better/cheaper in some other way without it

it is a loving toy for users to con hundreds of dollars out of their business offices for so they can watch Netflix and browse the internet during meetings or throw at their kids on trips

The only credit I'll give our Mac users is that most of them are absolute pros at conning shitloads of money out of their superiors; we used to have a major Mac evangelist in our group who was a terrible CJ but really good at documentation. He got tired of being a CJ and snagged a communications job in a new department the university started and managed to convince them to spend $4000+ on a new iMac+Thunderbolt displays for him to...edit documents, send/receive emails, and do what amounted to blog updates on

Pro-loving job there and I applaud him

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i don't know why i'm the only one who can't see the giant consuming cephalopod limbs of microsoft hugging the globe. maybe there's a higher than normal number of small businesses around here who just use some cheap saas and don't care about IT and never will. or there's a higher than normal number of depressed and under achieving IT people online who don't know they're out of touch with the status quo they try to defend.

i did a job interview with a company that used to do IT but got out of it because no one runs big servers in their businesses anymore, they just use cloud stuff. now they are making their own saas. and microsoft is going "cloud first, mobile first".

but i honestly hope you can keep convincing your higher-ups that the cloud is a bunch of hokum until your happy retirement. and i hope you feel joy and fulfilment from that, i really do. may your abiding steadfastness never falter. good luck.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

start supporting macs before u lose ur job

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

cremnob was right

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Fabricated posted:

lmao a literal windows janitor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Sharktopus posted:

he's saying that everywhere is switching to apple hardware and using the google software stack because lmao office on macs

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

and gone native at that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what's really happening is that more and more office apps aren't needed for "real work" as LoB applications are largely web-based now, sure people still need to make presentations and spreadsheets but it's not core work for a growing number of employees

pram
Jun 10, 2001
uhh its called keynote and numbers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

no it's called "office apps are slowly becoming irrelevant and there's nothing Microsoft can do about it"

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuBXbvl1Sg4

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

remember when rotor executed one of his many unjust probations during the wwdc. that was good.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

uhh its called keynote and numbers

qirex posted:

no it's called "office apps are slowly becoming irrelevant and there's nothing Microsoft can do about it"

you're both right

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

remember when rotor executed one of his many unjust probations during the wwdc. that was good.

that was v good

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

hoping for same for september

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
how many microsoft threads do we need

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

well we need 0 cremnobs but we get 1

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
esx lost more marketshare to windows server than windows desktop lost to osx
tru story

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PleasureKevin posted:

it seems like everyone uses Mac now. and not just in a confirmation bias kind of way. those who aren't using Mac are using and iPad or iPhone. or they work in a call centre and they will be replaced by Siri.

41% of the US uses an iPhone , and it's not the poorest 41% either

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

i'm the 4% who said "i don't know" as to why you're supporting mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

pram posted: