Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fabricated posted:

windows and linux

just not macs, because they're loving trash

:fry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

reminder that macs are toys and you are literally of lesser intelligence if you use one. microsoft windows is the standard and everyone should use the standard. windows can do everything ergo there is no need for anything else. all competitors should be banned.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yes, as we all know, windows 8, windows 8.1, and windows 8.1 update 1 all set the bar for good operating systems.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

pram posted:

lmao a literal windows janitor

lol ya

rofl

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Last Chance posted:

windows 8.1 update 1

lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Windows 8 is bad

Win7 and RHEL work alright though

also:

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

RHEL owns owns owns

ubuntu is gay and full of fail

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

pram posted:

uhh its called keynote and numbers

have you ever tried to use numbers for anything of merit? poo poo is garbage, i loving hate Excel but unless you are doing really simple graphs you can't use numbers. Last time I used Numbers it didn't even have the ability to do regression analysis or maybe it did but it was so hidden it was awful.

Keynote is O K though but being better than powerpoint is not that big of an achievement

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

even excel for mac is better than numbers

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

regression analysis

whoa there fella this is yospos not mathpos

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

let me tell you about matlab

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

matlab for OS X is remarkably worse than matlab for windows

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Last time I used Numbers it didn't even have the ability to do regression analysis or maybe it did but it was so hidden it was awful.

neither does excel for os x

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

neither does excel for os x

idk about this, i seem to remember doing my stats homework on my old macbook in college and that was using lovely office 2007 and i think it had regressions.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Keynote tears the stuffing out of windows and I only recently came to this realisation.

PowerPoint has been relatively static, focusing on a rather tedious view of presentations with poor design and distinctly monotonous feel.

Keynote is more dynamic, and this makes it much better if you want to give an engaging presentation.

It's a comparison between say, a Microsoft keynote and an Apple keynote.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

lmao if ur office isnt all macs and linus on ur servers

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

let me tell you about matlab

for all the bad things about it matlab is one of the only pieces of engineering software we support that gives us relatively no problems outside of it costing a shitload of money since we license every toolbox under the sun

It's also one of the only pieces of engineering software we support that has a mac version but huh, most of our Mac users that need it end up just bootcamping to windows and running it there go fig

or they just run it off a linux cluster, w/e

everything else is p much windows/linux only

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

we had to use numbers and keynote in high school because the county didn't want to spring for an office for Mac site license

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lol if your school didn't just have some idiot pirate things and cause windows xp genuine advantage check failures at one point

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Visual Studio is a good windows-only thing.

I think thats about it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

visual studio will be purchased by IBM and renamed IBM Excel Macro Studio after Microsoft dies

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Rahu posted:

Visual Studio is a good windows-only thing.

I think thats about it.

lol if you wanna make .net poo poo like it's 2007 then sure

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

...OS X is remarkably worse than... windows

:newlol:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Miley Virus posted:

lol if you wanna make .net poo poo like it's 2007 then sure

lol

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Luigi Thirty posted:

we had to use numbers and keynote in high school because the county didn't want to spring for an office for Mac site license
lmao shcools are terrible with money. blow the budget getting macs for highschool kids then buy no software

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

whadya mean we need to install network infrastructure in that new lab? we spent all the budget on the imacs. work something out, champ.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Socracheese posted:

lmao if ur office isnt all macs and linus on ur servers

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Caged posted:

whadya mean we need to install network infrastructure in that new lab? we spent all the budget on the imacs. work something out, champ.

just do internet sharing over an imacs wifi duh

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

lmao a literal windows janitor

it's so sad when they can't move on. sometimes the best answer is just to put them down

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

homo punching bag posted:

lmao shcools are terrible with money. blow the budget getting macs for highschool kids then buy no software
yeah, you could just buy a pile of optiplexes or HPs for a fraction of the price that'll work just as well and run software that they might actually use in a real job

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Fabricated posted:

yeah, you could just buy a pile of optiplexes or HPs for a fraction of the price that'll work just as well and run software that they might actually use in a real job

you are sadistic

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

*stands close by the window and looks in*

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

a real cj

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

those progress bars dont move themselves you know

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

homo punching bag posted:

teach the children to write software

its a school afterall :smugmrgw:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

pram posted:

you are sadistic
They work and have proper enterprise support on the odd hardware failure, unlike Macs

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fabricated posted:

holy poo poo lmao

are you for real

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Last Chance posted:

holy poo poo lmao

are you for real
Yes, and I'm also right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Fabricated posted:

Yes, and I'm also right?

if i squint my eyes hard enough i could see schools purchasing dells because they're dumb, but woe to the person who thinks buying anything hp is a good loving choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

this reminds me of when my high school bought emacs in 2005 for one lab and the new media senior blowoff class i took where we edited videos in imovie, learned chroma keying and made websites and things with them was the best fuckin class ever.

• Locked thread