Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

WHAT IF YOUR WEBSITE ONLY SUPPORTS A 12 YEAR OLD BROWSER MACFAGS

literally the reason many workplaces prolly dont have macs

cuz HR sharepoint apps need IE6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ie6 is literally a crime against humanity

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i actually had to use some enterprise software recently and surprisingly it ran on linux

i guess someone at haliburton owes linus a favor

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i use osx and it suits my needs

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pram posted:

cool the main argument for windows is WHAT ABOUT OLD STUFF THATS DESIGNED BAD ? HMM?? CHECKMATE

welcome to cj'ing, enjoy your stay!

pram posted:

WHAT IF YOUR WEBSITE ONLY SUPPORTS A 12 YEAR OLD BROWSER MACFAGS

this is a legitimate problem. it was also fun when some of our small business clients bought a bunch of new windows 8.1 systems and then discovered a business-critical web portal shat the bed with ie11 and no amount of compatibility mode would fix it :shepicide:

Beeftweeter posted:

you're an idiot for equating openoffice and an office suite developed by microsoft

fine, it's a step up but office 2011 for timb still breaks all kinds of crazy files, especially excel poo poo. also a whole pile of outlook features (which of course will be MISSION CRITICAL for the person you're supporting) won't work.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

for the record office document compatibility across platforms is actually pretty good and is a pillar of microsoft's office messaging strategy

pram
Jun 10, 2001

univbee posted:

hmm no i only cj unix systems

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pram posted:

ie6 is literally a crime against humanity
didn't help it was around for so many years and actively held back a lot of poo poo

png transparencies? yeah we don't need that poo poo
proper css? pfff, have fun writing a lot of special rules
you want actual security? lol go gently caress yourself

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

So i wanted to see if numbers still sucked so i took some data i had and found out that woah Numbers now supports regressions! its actually pretty intuitive and neat and easy to use. But i wanted a log log graph because honestly i don't want uselessly hard to read data. Turns out numbers isn't too good with log-log+regression...

yeah uhh that totally looks like a .94 r^2

It looks fine with Linear-Linear though

not sure how they hosed that up so bad

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

not sure how they hosed that up so bad

i think you'll find that it is you who are doing it wrong

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

linear regressions are always supposed to be all crooked

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

linear regressions are always supposed to be all crooked

just reboot, hold ⌘⌥PR down until it beeps twice, and the linear regression will fix itself with gay aversion therapy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

univbee posted:

this is a legitimate problem. it was also fun when some of our small business clients bought a bunch of new windows 8.1 systems and then discovered a business-critical web portal shat the bed with ie11 and no amount of compatibility mode would fix it :shepicide:

fine, it's a step up but office 2011 for timb still breaks all kinds of crazy files, especially excel poo poo. also a whole pile of outlook features (which of course will be MISSION CRITICAL for the person you're supporting) won't work.

outlook 2011 crashes like clockwork almost everywhere i've seen it used. it also has the benefit of placing everything in completely different places than both outlook 2010 and mail.app just to make sure that no one knows how to use it when they get it. thankfully ms has blessed us with outlook 2013 for mac...

re: file formats, there are serious incompatibilities between 2007, 2010, and 2013. all of which run on windows and use the xml document formats. god help you if you want to use something like change tracking between versions, or even between service packs.

the office team does not do compatibility

pram
Jun 10, 2001

api call girl posted:

i think you'll find that it is you who are doing it wrong

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I CJ'd hundos of macs (and windows) in the bay area for tons of richkid elemtnaries and i've learned that most IT admins who can't do the mac enterprise are just babbies who cannot do a linux/(BSD :rolleyes: ), just roll out Casper and learn to use deploystudio, make imacs use network profiles and make laptops do roaming syncs for things that aren't video files and you can take 4-5 desperate IT guys in a district down to like 1 or 2 IT guys who have to change out an HD now and then or redeploy an image here and there, maybe clear the PRAM

the deployment effort to get a nice deployment script configured and tested in windowsland was enormous compared to how quickly we could roll out with osx server and deploystudio and a poo poo ton of laptops and a multicast friendly backbone

pram
Jun 10, 2001
u mean windows admins are dumb and lazy as poo poo *faux surprise*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

pram posted:

u mean admins are dumb and lazy as poo poo *faux surprise*

pram
Jun 10, 2001
join a macbook to our domain? uhh this wasnt on the mcse lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

osx had really spotty ad support until 10.7, which basically broke all the hacks you used to have to do to get osx to work on a domain (without it making GBS threads itself every few weeks). now it basically works and you can even do "fancy" poo poo like folder redirection to windows servers reliably

but admins get mad because they're used to just basing all their set-it-and-forget-it deployment stuff on GPOs and having to put in a third party product to manage that on the mac side is just a step too far. it's just plain ol' platform lock in, but everyone is used to it because ms has been the only platform since the early 2000s

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
office 2013 is ugly as all gently caress and i won't upgrade to it ever

it is going to have to deal until office 2010 goes eol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

u mean windows admins are dumb and lazy as poo poo *faux surprise*

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

no u see i am king of computar u use what i say

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
imagine being so broken by stockholm syndrome that you gleefully impose the lovely operating system you can't leave on everybody else

wah its too difficult to click buttons and admin a network even though thats literally my job

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

i actually had to use some enterprise software recently and surprisingly it ran on linux

which linux tho

suse, rh and canonical need to cut the poo poo and just all merge already also everything to do with ubuntu needs to die in a fire

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 8, 2014

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

osx had really spotty ad support until 10.7, which basically broke all the hacks you used to have to do to get osx to work on a domain (without it making GBS threads itself every few weeks). now it basically works and you can even do "fancy" poo poo like folder redirection to windows servers reliably

but admins get mad because they're used to just basing all their set-it-and-forget-it deployment stuff on GPOs and having to put in a third party product to manage that on the mac side is just a step too far. it's just plain ol' platform lock in, but everyone is used to it because ms has been the only platform since the early 2000s

apple should be writing their own gpo processor and release their own management templates for osx specific stuff. theres no reason not to and they've finally realized that wrt abandoning garbage 3rd party network share protocols in favor of the smb standard.

not that gpos even really matter as much as osx just not working at all. we don't use osx management stuff at all because 99% of our macs are used as remote dumb terminals and they can barely manage that. garbage audio drivers, garbage osx versions of windows software, garbage networking, garbage everything. cant wait to get rid of them and go to windows so the users can actually do their work.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mido posted:

make imacs use network profiles and make laptops do roaming syncs

are you on a magic triangle or purely open directory?

infernal machines posted:

osx had really spotty ad support until 10.7

reminder that 10.7.3 broke ad binding completely, lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah that's the other thing. they break random things every point release so you never ever upgrade unless theres a feature you want and you've gone through a month of regression testing

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Dog posted:

which linux tho

suse, rh and canonical need to cut the poo poo and just all merge already also everything to do with ubuntu needs to die in a fire

i'm pretty sure it was rh because that's what people who actually want to do serious work on linux use

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nobody wants to do serious work on linux

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

yeah that's the other thing. they break random things every point release so you never ever upgrade unless theres a feature you want and you've gone through a month of regression testing

apple basically doesn't give a poo poo about any part of os x actually working or not

the fact that any part of it hangs together at all is no less than a miracle

we gave you x, y, and z as options, but only one of them will work at any given time, have fun figuring it out

i particularly liked the transition plan of simply not using .file metadata from one os x version to the next over smb shares, that's a loving landmine we're still standing on and I'm not about to lift the foot on it

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 8, 2014

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
from 10.5.6 to 10.6.5 or something like that dns resolution for .local domains was totally busted and their support response was "lol yeah, its broken."

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

because microsoft never breaks things with updates. h/o whats this.. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

shouldnt have been talking to other domains secretly

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

graph posted:

are you on a magic triangle or purely open directory?

alright no trolling in the pos please are those actually the names of a thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

because microsoft never breaks things with updates. h/o whats this.. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

that never actually happens without the admin loving something up. every time someone says "BWAHHHHH windows update hosed me!" its someone trying to hide their incompetence.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

gartner has the magic quadrant

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

you pay them like 50k and buy lots of lunches and they put your software in it and idiots blindly purchase your garbage

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr Dog posted:

it's integrating an apple directory server into your ad domain, there's write-ups of it if you're interested

right now if you want to authenticate to ad network resources you're putting an additional entry into the keychain with your ad creds for every resource and that's retarded

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mr Dog posted:

magic triangle = an open directory server bound to active directory so you can use ad creds to login to clients, but are still able to push .mcx and profiles etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

have u guys tried updating to the latest osx mavericks?

• Locked thread