Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my boss did and it broke his mac so he had to flatten and reinstall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

my boss did and it broke his mac so he had to flatten and reinstall

Shaggar posted:

that never actually happens without the admin loving something up. every time someone says "BWAHHHHH windows update hosed me!" its someone trying to hide their incompetence.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it happens in osx, not windows

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

graph posted:

magic triangle = an open directory server bound to active directory so you can use ad creds to login to clients, but are still able to push .mcx and profiles etc

we use casper for "mcx" settings

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

cremnob posted:

have u guys tried updating to the latest osx mavericks?

we did a few manually, but between our other long term projects we put casper9 and mavericks deployment on hold

the people who care about mavericks/yosemite will be getting new macs at the replacement cycle with yosemite soon enough anyway

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Usually every major OSX update breaks domain macs somehow, or somehow renders some random piece of engineering software unusable

The latter I am perfectly happy to lay at the feet of the software vendors though

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the latest osx will suit ur needs

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

yeah it sucks that apple only gives vendors like 10 months to identify and fix issues

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they don't give anyone any notice before breaking stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

just like microsoft

oh wait, when microsoft breaks things its the admin's fault

tell us more :allears:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Microsoft doesn't break things. the admin breaks things and then blames the last update which didn't affect anything related to what the admin broke.

apple doesn't announce they will break dns for a year and then they do it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

Microsoft doesn't break things. the admin breaks things and then blames the last update which didn't affect anything related to what the admin broke.

you have never updated sharepoint have you?

don't get me wrong, most windows admins are lazy shits who don't know the first thing about their job, but microsoft absolutely does break software through automatic updates. like, poo poo that's in a default oob configuration with start spamming errors because the update process hosed with its configuration

they just tend to fix it in the next patch cycle

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

They should be using change control processes + SCCM

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's a reason best practice for update deployment is to run a few weeks behind, deploying everything to your test lab first. it ain't just because of third party software

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Squinty Applebottom posted:

They should be using change control processes + SCCM

yeah, anyone who actually allows workstations to update themselves via windows update needs to tender his resignation by eating a box of loose magnets

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

lol shagger

pram
Jun 10, 2001
microsofts updates are flawless like for example surfaces that were bricked by rt 8.1

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pram posted:

microsofts updates are flawless like for example surfaces that were bricked by rt 8.1

-releases service pack 3 for xp-

-turns out it actually bluescreens many amd-based pc's-

-xp sp2 forever-

pram
Jun 10, 2001
actually shagger is right in one respect microsoft doesnt break backwards compatibility by allowing ancient lovely software like IE6 to fester like a cancer for years

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
microsoft: just keep the same poo poo rolling for 10+ years

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

every company ever wrt IT: just keep the same poo poo rolling for 10+ years

:shepicide:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

because microsoft never breaks things with updates. h/o whats this.. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

in my experience that's generally been either a lovely system image or AD replication is seriously hosed up

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

in my experience that's generally been either a lovely system image or AD replication is seriously hosed up

i like when this happens at work because the security policy says 1) all local accounts disabled and 2) all drives SEE fully encrypted, so can't use a linux boot cd to turn them back on, so it's reimage time!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

99% of the time its because time got out of sync because some idiot got clever with the domain time config.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

univbee posted:

-releases service pack 3 for xp-

-turns out it actually bluescreens many amd-based pc's-

-xp sp2 forever-
To be fair punishing users for using AMD based PCs is just and right

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

AMD - Make more lovely drivers!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

pram posted:

actually shagger is right in one respect microsoft doesnt break backwards compatibility by allowing ancient lovely software like IE6 to fester like a cancer for years

lol at this being carefully edged around

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

Fabricated posted:

lol if you had an intel in the windows xp era

pentium 4 lmao what a piece of poo poo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

P4's up through Northwood were fine and AMD's chipsets where a shitheap but if you didn't jump ship once Prescott took a big runny dump on the world you were a sucker

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

99% of the time its because time got out of sync because some idiot got clever with the domain time config.

why is time.windows.com always 4-6 minutes behind

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i'm using time.nist.gov

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im using time.apple.com

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Sudo Echo posted:

why is time.windows.com always 4-6 minutes behind

you're surprised at microsoft constantly trying to catch up to the rest of the world?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pram posted:

im using time.apple.com

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
http://www.whattimeisit.com/

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
unironically used that on a windows embedded terminal that had the taskbar clock disabled back in college.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

time to get a watch!!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pram posted:

time to get a watch!!

what have you done

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Squinty Applebottom posted:

gartner has the magic quadrant

you pay them like 50k and buy lots of lunches and they put your software in it and idiots blindly purchase your garbage

It really is a 'magic' in the sense that it completely defies reality in how it is determined and why MBAs flock to purchase poo poo listed on it.

...but hey, it keeps bringing $$$ to my company, so whateves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pram posted:

time to get a watch!!

:unsmigghh:

• Locked thread