Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Heavy Sigh posted:

So, now lacking glasses and with them basic competence, does Skye have any useful skills at all, or she just an added nuisance to deal with for our ravenous, dehydrated and beat-up protagonist on this deserted(?) island?
She'll become marginally useful on Day 3, but making sure she is OK will definitely occupy a fair bit of your time in the first part of the game.

I never actually finished this game because it can REALLY drag at points, so I'm looking forward to following this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

This game also has a secondary game mode where you play as Skye, so if she were actually blind they wouldn't have been able to do that. I would be all coy about spoilers or whatever, but the instruction manual reveals the existence of this mode freely so I don't feel it's a secret at all.

Also, like I said, Skye will start to do some things to earn her keep soon, and again, if she were fully blind some of these things would be fairly difficult.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Some folks aren't quite so lucky as us. I'm 20/70 in one eye and 20/80 in the other without my glasses. You certainly don't want me flying a fighter jet, but it doesn't stop me from doing any of the major activities of daily living, and there's no reason I couldn't go crabbing or whatever either. This is especially true since I'm nearsighted, and if I'm working at less than double or triple my arm's length, for practical purposes I can see as well as anyone.

However, some people who are legally blind without their glasses (20/200) can still be corrected to 20/40 or better, particularly if they don't have astigmatism. But...if their glasses are destroyed or lost, they're still legally blind.

Presuming Skye is legally blind or close to it without her glasses, it actually explains her role and behaviors in Keith's playthrough pretty well.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

So this is Robinson's Requiem: Anime edition?

That's what I wanted it to be when I bought it, but it is neither as hardcore nor as interesting as Robinson's or Deus.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You can get as many as you want, but time passes while you're standing there, waiting for a fish to roll by. So it's not like you can just spear 50 pounds worth of bass in a morning and be free of food pressure for a week.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yup, here's the point I put down this game, never to pick it up again. That god damned piece of poo poo raft is the biggest pain in the rear end.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah, traps basically include animal drops as part of your daily gathering routine. It's kind of nice since there's so much you can do with fur and bone. Well worth the investment if you're a magpie, but most anything you get in there is replaceable.

Also, Skye WILL just drink from the barrel, but there's obviously the problem of having to fill it manually. So basically that means going to the river, filling your bottles, going back, dumping them in the drum, and doing it again another dozen loving times. You can seriously lose an entire day just filling the loving barrel.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It's just lost. A specific meal is made up of a couple different ingredients, so that's why it's even possible to get over 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Who in the gently caress thought block pushing puzzles were a good mechanic for a game that bills itself as a survival experience?

• Locked thread