Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
As someone who grew up on the lower Mississippi, and read Mark Twain's autobiographical novel about being a steamboat pilot, this sounds terrifying. Looks like the river is pretty average flow right now fortunately.

I had a friend from high school try to do this on a homemade raft (a pretty sizeable thing). It ended up crashing into a bank like 200 miles south of Minneapolis. He got the cops called on him several times (and got local news articles about him!), but he looked like a River Gypsy, so I doubt your friend will have the same issue.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

That seems highly unlikely in northern Minnesota.

Same with this.

You know he's trying to go down the entire Mississippi right, all the way to Nola? There are a poo poo ton of barges in the lower Mississippi. I'm not sure about water moccasins actually in the main Mississippi, but they're sure everywhere in the feeder rivers further south. Not that he's super likely to get hit by a barge unless he's sleeping in his kayak.

Edit: It does in fact look like there are no or very few water moccasins actually in the Mississippi river. Too cold and fast-flowing.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Yep that's the guy from my high school I mentioned in my second post. They didn't get hit by a barge though.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

tranten posted:

Subscribed.

I did an 18-day trip down the Grand Canyon last January and my question is: where does he poop?

The Mississippi isn't controlled like Colorado through the Grand Canyon... I'd guess he just shits wherever.

• Locked thread