Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Family Video lasted longer than a ton of other places simply because they bought their buildings and didn't lease them in the prime rental days, so they didn't have the costs that Blockbuster and other places did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man I didn't realize they were finally gone. Getting the one two of streaming and Redbox must've been terrible for them. Even Redbox seems to be nearly dead despite how low cost their whole operation must be. Physical media, even just renting, is purely for purists and collectors it seems nowadays.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
Yeah Redbox was big in the early '10's but it fell off hard.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Man I didn't realize they were finally gone. Getting the one two of streaming and Redbox must've been terrible for them. Even Redbox seems to be nearly dead despite how low cost their whole operation must be. Physical media, even just renting, is purely for purists and collectors it seems nowadays.

I've honestly never seen anybody check out anything from the local Redbox. Sometimes I poke it myself and I noticed they finally took all the video games out sometime shortly after Borderlands 3 came out which was the newest game I ever saw available in it

There's just not a point when it's not a store you can browse and chat with people

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

visiting the actual store was always a big part of the selling point. just being able to spend half an hour browsing through the stacks, maybe talking to someone in the isles looking at the same section, half-hearing whatever was playing on the big TV in the middle, and desperately trying to convince yourself not to buy lovely microwave popcorn on the way out was half the fun of rentals, and it's that loss i feel keenly

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Most libraries have a video and videogame section these days.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
my last rentals were tv seasons, there was still a sliver of practicality there that hadn't been negated by prime having virtually every mainstream movie release for 3.99.

Chip S. Challenge
Mar 20, 2024

Hint: You don't need the fire boots, but they could help later on.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Most libraries have a video and videogame section these days.

growing up before redbox pretty much all of our media including video games was from the city library.
poo poo was clutch

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Started playing Amnesia: The Bunker last night with some friends. Ooh boy it creepy. Also I'm, I guess, 'bad' at it, as much as one can be with a game like this. Feel like I'm wasting resources while at the same time having too many resources to store (so I guess maybe not wasting them too badly), stumbling around in the dark cause I put some fuel in but it burned out before I got to where I needed to be, etc.

Anyway, still really liking it. I do like the sort of organic approach it has to mechanics, especially around the monster, like learning you can block holes or how to scare it off.

Really don't like the rats though. Getting wounded and turning to see that two of those little bastards are following me as I try to desperately find some bandages is something i don't like much at all

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
:wtc: Didn't expect AITD to remind me of Evil Within of all things. Wish the combat was as good tho.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2160220/Shipwrecked_64/

If you like horror games, at all, I definitely recommend giving this game a shot. It is a very slow burn, but explore and figure it out on your own as much as you can. Get on a discord call with friends and work out the puzzles yourselves if you can, think outside the box. It's got ARG elements going on, so a hint here and there might be needed as some of these puzzles are pretty drat obtuse. It does an incredibly good job at easing you into a state of comfort, slowly building tension, then nailing the moment of release. Haven't finished it yet, but the first couple good scares that it pulls off alone have been worth the price of admission. It comes off as kind of a tired premise, but the execution of it here is absolutely on point. Really excited to see where this kid goes from here.

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
"It's got ARG elements going on, so a hint here and there might be needed as some of these puzzles are pretty drat obtuse"
this is dissuading me a bit. Is it still feasible to play it like a normal game?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
A little late for the asymmetrical pvp chat but is anyone interested in the upcoming killer klown game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGA47tWGWBM

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

idontpost69 posted:

"It's got ARG elements going on, so a hint here and there might be needed as some of these puzzles are pretty drat obtuse"
this is dissuading me a bit. Is it still feasible to play it like a normal game?

Yeah, everything you need to solve the puzzles is provided by the game, there's just a few that are pretty unintuitive that you might need a hint for. But all the necessary clues are provided through gameplay for those still.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I can respect Shipwrecked 64 but I think the metaplot got really really stupid in a way that it didn't need to.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Great for a first time developer who's literally only a kid. I agree that it got a little dumb and weird at points but I'm very much interested in his stuff from here on.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I can respect Shipwrecked 64 but I think the metaplot got really really stupid in a way that it didn't need to.

So basically every ARG/creepypasta

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Da Wyoming Incident…

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Humble Bundle has a horror bundle up.

Spring Screams Bundle

quote:

The horror will bloom
Spring is the new season for fright, and whether you prefer surviving single-player scares or tackling team-based terrors, this bundle is packed full of scream-inducing horrors to keep you up at night! In the critically acclaimed first-person horror game Amnesia: The Bunker, you’ll struggle to survive the relentless assaults of an ever-present monster in a cruel non-linear sandbox. Escape the Backrooms has you and friends exploring eerie liminal spaces teeming with disquieting dread and creepy hostile entities. My Friendly Neighborhood is an action-packed survival horror (with hints of comedy) that has you battling it out against a colorful cast of bloodthirsty puppets. Pay what you want for all these and more, and help support Lotus Outreach and BuildOn with your purchase!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
That Forewarned art makes it look like it's about a Half Life scientist fighting a mummy

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I feel it more looks like Sgt Hartman getting in Pyle’s face.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

oh so even humble bundle has fallen

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Forewarned is great, so is demonologist. Don't have the staying power of Phasmo but they're still fun 10-20 hour games with your friends.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Quarry alone is worth $17 imo. I haven't played it yet but I assume The Bunker prob is too based on the general praise I've seen for it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Bunker was the first horror game I've played in forever that was too stressful for me to finish lol

The generator hungers

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The bunker is the best long boy simulator you ever done played

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Clocktower gameplay translates surprisingly well into 3D. I was pretty worried during the prologue with all the words being tossed around, but the second I got into the chase scene everything fell into place.

Feels like Scream plot wise so far. Either Barton or Nolan is going to betray me, but I'm also sure after they made a point about Scissorman wearing a mask in CT1 that Edward is actually just Bobby faking amnesia to get Jessica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Think you'll give Ghost Head/Struggle Within a shot? It's certainly a video game.