Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Brackhar posted:

I really liked the story of Machine For Pigs by the end, especially the core conceit. If it was 1899 and you learned about World War 1 from dark magic, what would you do to try and stop it? That being said, it wasn't a great gameplay follow-on to Dark Descent, as they ended up ditching most of the mechanics that made the fear work (inability to stare at monsters, sanity drops in darkness, etc.) While I like the game I think I and most others would have ended up with a much better opinion of the game had it not been in the Amnesia series.

Well, they ended up removing most of the monsters, flat out - I think there were like five in the game, or something absurdly low like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A Machine For Pigs had a literal .jpg jumpscare and for that alone I will never forgive it. :mad:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JordanKai posted:

A Machine For Pigs had a literal .jpg jumpscare and for that alone I will never forgive it. :mad:

The pigs are in your eyeeeees

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anna still has my favorite jump scares. The game is rough but totally worth it for the sanity effects which make Eternal Darkness look like kiddy poo poo.

e: I have some love for Interactive Fiction and think it's the perfect medium for horror games but you don't see them often. Check out The Warbler's Nest, a short horror IF game about faeries that gets really intense.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 21, 2014

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Morpheus posted:

Well, they ended up removing most of the monsters, flat out - I think there were like five in the game, or something absurdly low like that.

Yeah, it was also rather painfully obvious that most of the time when you hear a monster down a corridor it's going to turn out that it's walked through a locked door or was behind a grate all along. And those lightning pigs were just ridiculous.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just started playing the first King's Field and yeah, despite how primitive it looks, the atmosphere is really something else. It looks just sparse and abstract enough to feel more weird and unnerving than straight up ugly, and the music is loving awesome. Everything can kill you very quickly of course, and it has that really great sense of danger and exploration by giving you a safe spot early on from which you can gradually venture further out.

You wouldn't think so at first glance, but the moment where you enter a new area and the music changes is genuinely tense.

My favourite moment was when I decided to check every wall for hidden passages and suddenly this hole opened up and a bunch of spears came out and stabbed me in the face, it was great.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

It looks like there was a teaser trailer released a few months ago for Draugen, the Red Thread Games project that was confusingly announced during the Longest Journey: Dreamfall: Chapters: Part 1 - Rapidly Expanding Title Kickstarter was in full swing so no one really noticed or cared.

So, "2015" sometime maybe? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74aA2rbU45Y (turn down your speakers at the end there's a super obnoxiously loud music/noise sting)

quote:

Gone Home meets Amnesia in a story inspired by Norse mythology, Norwegian fairy tales and national romanticism, Dostoyevsky, Hamsun and H.P. Lovecraft.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What does this thread think of the F.E.A.R. series? Do they even merit being brought up in a horror games thread? There is definitely some creepy stuff in them, and creative jump scares. But I personally find them to be the most tonally bizarre games around as they feel like a cross between Silent Hill and Half-life. One minute your supposed to be creeped out by ghosts and scary little girls, and then the next your getting into a full blown firefight right out of an 80s action movie. I never played 3 though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've never been able to take the FEAR series seriously. People like to play up the resemblances between Alma and Sadako, but the storyline is more anime than anything else, like Tom Clancy cribbing lines from the Wikipedia page for Akira. Impressively proficient on a technical level though, I'll give it that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I liked them. I thought the gunplay was good, and the scares decent enough. I think Perseus Mandate was my favourite, had what I thought were the best scares. 3 is a bit odd, the others had a health kit system but 3 used regenerating health. John Carpenter had a hand in 3. Steve Niles wrote it too. Had a terrible ending. I didn't play co-op, but it worked just fine in single player.

The only one I would suggest not getting is the DLC for 2, Reborn. It was loving terrible. It's just over an hour long, has a bunch of stupid bits, no scares, it's supposed to set up 3, but doesn't gel right with it, and they have a filter that looks like somebody pissed all over your screen.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FEAR is a pretty good shooter with pretty good scripted moments. Not much more I can say about that.

FEAR 2 is... ehhhhh. Things kind of took a step back technically and I don't even remember the big scares.

Haven't played FEAR 3 which I hear is better from a game design perspective but went the Dead Space 3 route of more guns, fewer scares.

Bieeardo posted:

I've never been able to take the FEAR series seriously. People like to play up the resemblances between Alma and Sadako, but the storyline is more anime than anything else, like Tom Clancy cribbing lines from the Wikipedia page for Akira. Impressively proficient on a technical level though, I'll give it that.

It's interesting you say this considering one of Monolith's earlier games was Shogo, one of the most blatant American-anime style things I've ever seen in any medium. The designs were straight from those Chris Hart books and I think it used public domain Japanese sound effects like those weird swooshes and mechanical effects from 80s Gundam. Shogo's faux-anime design make SiN and Oni look like original concepts in comparison.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

You can tell who liked the first game, because all you need to do is say the word 'ladder' and they instinctively wince and call you a motherfucker.

The third game... honestly, I'm not sure about it. I mean, the environments are arguably a step up from the other games, and co-op adds an interesting dynamic, but I have a hard time remembering anything about it. I can remember bits and pieces, like at the start when you kick open a door and can slow-mo headshot five guys in a row (and get an achievement for it) and I can tell you one or two things that happen, but I'll be damned if I can tell you what they actually look like. It's like the game automatically erased itself from my brain after I finished it. I assume I had fun, since I played it to the end, but other than that, I don't remember a thing.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You can tell who liked the first game, because all you need to do is say the word 'ladder' and they instinctively wince and call you a motherfucker.

The third game... honestly, I'm not sure about it. I mean, the environments are arguably a step up from the other games, and co-op adds an interesting dynamic, but I have a hard time remembering anything about it. I can remember bits and pieces, like at the start when you kick open a door and can slow-mo headshot five guys in a row (and get an achievement for it) and I can tell you one or two things that happen, but I'll be damned if I can tell you what they actually look like. It's like the game automatically erased itself from my brain after I finished it. I assume I had fun, since I played it to the end, but other than that, I don't remember a thing.

The Paxton Fettel gameplay mechanics were actually pretty cool, and in my opinion the best part of the third game. Essentially by default you are in ghost form, which means that you have very little health and shoot plinky little fireballs. The gimmick is that you can possess nearly every enemy in the map, which has two benefits: their body acts as armor and you get instant access to their weapons. But as you possess them, they begin to "burn out," eventually disintegrating and leaving you out in the cold (getting damaged increases the rate of the burn out). Killing enemies while possessing a body generates little orbs that refill your burnout rate. The result is a surprisingly fun, timer-driven action game that forces you to constantly be active and aware of your surroundings.

I honestly believe that those mechanics could sustain an entire game. However, F.E.A.R. 3 drops the ball by throwing you into levels that don't take advantage of that unique skill set, and forcing you to complete missions as Point Man before you can play through them as Fettel (if you are doing it single player, anyway).

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

What does this thread think of the F.E.A.R. series? Do they even merit being brought up in a horror games thread? There is definitely some creepy stuff in them, and creative jump scares. But I personally find them to be the most tonally bizarre games around as they feel like a cross between Silent Hill and Half-life. One minute your supposed to be creeped out by ghosts and scary little girls, and then the next your getting into a full blown firefight right out of an 80s action movie. I never played 3 though.

If Demons/Dark Souls are worth discussing here then FEAR definitely is :colbert:

al-azad posted:

FEAR 2 is... ehhhhh. Things kind of took a step back technically and I don't even remember the big scares.

The first game is worth playing because it's a great shooter. It's still part of the horror genre despite cheap and often ineffective scares, but that's not where the game's strength lies. In the sequel, the gunplay is worse in ways that I can't fully articulate, but whatever they did made the whole experience feel tedious and unsatisfying. In short, FEAR 2 is crap.

Monolith's other good game, Condemned, should be mentioned while we're on the subject. Like FEAR, it's action-horror with cheap scares and a poorly written story. I would say it has a much more consistent atmosphere compared to FEAR, though--if only because of who your enemies are. Bashing in the brains of psychotic homeless men with pipes and sledgehammers while exploring derelict buildings goes a long way towards enforcing a creepy atmosphere. Can't really say that super clone soldiers and evil corporate security guards with high tech weaponry have the same effect.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
The FEAR 2 SMG is probably my favorite gun in an fps, other than that I cannot remember a drat thing about it.

I actually just played Fear 1 a few weeks ago after snagging it on sale, it's still a solid and fun shooter, though the "scares" didn't really do a whole lot for me. Fear 1 seems to be a lot more sparing with Alma which works in it's favor, she starts getting old when they bring her out every level, which is what Fear 2 and 3 basically do.

folgore posted:

Monolith's other good game, Condemned, should be mentioned while we're on the subject. Like FEAR, it's action-horror with cheap scares and a poorly written story. I would say it has a much more consistent atmosphere compared to FEAR, though--if only because of who your enemies are. Bashing in the brains of psychotic homeless men with pipes and sledgehammers while exploring derelict buildings goes a long way towards enforcing a creepy atmosphere. Can't really say that super clone soldiers and evil corporate security guards with high tech weaponry have the same effect.

The first half of condemned 2 is totally amazing, I really wish they kept it as good for the entire game. I can't even remember where it all falls apart but by the time your shouting so loud hobos heads explode it feels like the dev team just said gently caress it. A shame.

Mr. Sunabouzu fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 28, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'd say at least 2/3rds of Condemned 2 is great, but it definitely falls apart once the plot goes off the rails and you turn out to be an alien or something that can shout things to death with magic vocal chords. Granted, I think I would have been equally nonplussed if it turned out that the whole thing was just drummed-up nonsense, or a figment of an alcoholic's PTSD, or some other hand-waving that outright dismissed the whole experience.

Fortunately, that happens a lot later in the game than people remember, and everything leading up to that is pretty solid (i.e. the Bear scene, or the museum, etc.) It makes for a great hobo brawling simulator, too.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Condemned 2 is great up until the part where you have to go through the house disarming C4. That's about when all the stupid poo poo other posters have mentioned start happening.

Nothing has managed to match the dread that the first game evoked in me during that one level where you're exploring the old farmhouse. The mall level with the mannequins gets an honorable mention as well. Honestly one of the favorite horror series of all time and I am SO MAD at them for loving it up so badly we'll never see a third game.

I actually bought a real life version of Ethan's shirt from C2 off someone on gamefaqs. It was a shameful time for me.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 28, 2014

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'd say at least 2/3rds of Condemned 2 is great, but it definitely falls apart once the plot goes off the rails and you turn out to be an alien or something that can shout things to death with magic vocal chords.

That sounds like the opposite of "falling apart", because now I want to play the game where I portray Detective Steve Dovahkiin.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
It's old as gently caress and probably more adventure than horror, but I've always had a soft spot for Sanitarium. It's not exactly horrifying, but the off-kilter atmosphere was done perfectly. Plus, the puzzles are rational (if not always easy) and the game has a TON of variety. There's a children of the corn like scenario, a carnival of the damned, a horrific comic book hero section, and my favorite, a kickass aztec section. In between these, you play in the asylum, which is just as trippy as any of the delusions.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I thought F.E.A.R. was scary as gently caress. Then again, I also thought The Ring and The Grudge were also scary as gently caress (the first time you watch them). I think you have to already have a pre-disposed fear of small Japanese girls with hair covering their face in order to find F.E.A.R. scary. People have said that it's not scary because you can't be 'hurt' during the scary bits, which makes absolutely zero sense to me. The welfare of my virtual avatar is not a factor in whether I find something scary. Using that logic, a movie could never be scary.

In my opinion, something becomes scary when it suspends your disbelief effectively enough that your subconscious starts to consider what you're seeing to be an actual threat. A small part of you believes that little girl is going to come out of the TV and brutally kill you. Like the moment when you turn off a scary game or movie and suddenly find yourself sitting in the dark, and start to feel fear for no logical reason. Or maybe another explanation is you have to be capable of using your imagination and placing yourself in a character's situation. Why is the beginning segment of Silent Hill scary as a motherfucker? Why when I get to the school and start hearing these awful sounds do I feel this overwhelming feeling of dread and desire to turn the game off and forget about it?

I dunno, just thinking aloud. I've always been interested in why some people find a thing to be scary, and others can't even comprehend how it can be scary. Another example for me: Nemesis, from Resident Evil 3. Probably one of the scariest dudes of all time in my opinion.

Hakkesshu posted:

You wouldn't think so at first glance, but the moment where you enter a new area and the music changes is genuinely tense.

The sound design in King's Field is just utterly phenomenal. When I was a kid, the sound the termites would make would paralyze me with fear. I would hear it and have to pause the game to collect myself. Going into the Termite's Nest was like a loving heart-pounding nightmare. Even today I feel extreme unease when dealing with the Termites, and a real jolt of fear if one of them bites me, because that sound is freaky as poo poo too. I had a similar reaction to the spiders in Thief. Holy gently caress that sound.

King's Field has such crazy enemy design. Each new enemy you face you think to yourself "What the gently caress is that?" I had a similar experience in Dark Souls. Sadly, Dark Souls 2 didn't have very many batshit crazy lookin' enemies, mostly just humanoid types.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 29, 2014

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I think FEAR's major issue is the major issue with most "horror games" in that it's mostly jump scares. One of most effective scenes in any of the games (someone else will have to remember which one) is when you keep exiting a room only to reenter it with most chairs appears until they're bolted to the walls and ceiling and poo poo.

I think you can earn a jump scare (the one from Bioshock Infinite might be one of the best ever) but when it's the main source of "horror" in your game I think it's a major failure. I just love the sense of dread and foreboding a good horror game can elicit, and it's so rare nowadays. You'd think with all these indie horror games coming out someone would make some genuinely frightening or disturbing but I keep being disappointed time and time again. This isn't something confined to horror video games, most horror movies have the same problems.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I think FEAR's major issue is the major issue with most "horror games" in that it's mostly jump scares. One of most effective scenes in any of the games (someone else will have to remember which one) is when you keep exiting a room only to reenter it with most chairs appears until they're bolted to the walls and ceiling and poo poo.

I think you can earn a jump scare (the one from Bioshock Infinite might be one of the best ever) but when it's the main source of "horror" in your game I think it's a major failure. I just love the sense of dread and foreboding a good horror game can elicit, and it's so rare nowadays. You'd think with all these indie horror games coming out someone would make some genuinely frightening or disturbing but I keep being disappointed time and time again. This isn't something confined to horror video games, most horror movies have the same problems.

I've sung the praises of Anna and it's a shame the atmosphere is wrapped around an obtuse game because it has the best scares I've seen in a video game. Early on you meet a wooden effigy of a woman standing in a room. When you return to the room, she's gone. Throughout the house the woman will appear, always behind your back so you don't see her until you turn around, and always in disturbing positions like praying, cowering, and standing menacingly over a baby carriage. These occur randomly so you can never predict when she'll appear and sometimes you'll be standing still and your character moves a bit as if she's pushing you.

It also pulls off the sanity effects way better than Eternal Darkness. There's no meter to warn you something is happening and they're all integrated seamlessly into the design. You'll check out a room, step outside the door and HOLY poo poo THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE. Or you'll hear someone breathing behind you, turn around and SPOOKY MONSTER MASK. Or you'll be in a room with mannequins dangling in the ceiling, do something in a corner, turn around and the mannequins are gone... then little wooden hands slowly appear on the screen to cover your eyes. It's great stuff and it's mostly triggered randomly.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

al-azad posted:

I've sung the praises of Anna and it's a shame the atmosphere is wrapped around an obtuse game because it has the best scares I've seen in a video game.
I've already talked about how much I hate the gameplay of Anna in the original post, but I do have to agree it has some fantastic horror moments. My personal favorite is when you go into the woodworking room and if you hang around in there long enough, these mannequins will suddenly appear on the floor. Stay a little bit longer and they disappear, which makes the player stop and wonder what happened to them. Then there's the silhouette of a hand slowly reaching across your face, like something's grabbing you from behind.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
At the time of FEAR, Half Life 2 creeped the gently caress out of me. In my opinion the half life series can be apart of this thread in a real way. There's no denying the atmosphere and overall bleakness. Not to mention on hard mode you can really be on the edge of your seat scraping by.

Now I can play through either game without wincing, but rather being fascinated by the atmosphere it presents. You're never scraping by though. So in a way Half Life 2 on hard mode is a better horror game.

I define horror as something that keeps me on the edge of my seat, quite possibly some adrenaline and an actual presence of that reptilian survival instinct. I can't get "scared" anymore, too jaded. Scared as in not wanting to continue because of the fear of the unknown "Will she appear on this ladder or at the end of the hallwa-FUUUUCK". Either survival horror (half life example) or it mindfucks me by engrossing me completely in an incredibly compelling atmosphere and ways of interacting with it (silent hill 3 was creeeeeepyyyy as gently caress, and also mindfucky. Dat ending).

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 31, 2014

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah I definitely found bits of half life 2 and episodes spooky and downright startling at times. Ravenholme obviously, the whole car/beach area was bleak and eerie, the idea of stalkers is horrifying.

I also hate grubs/maggots so the ant lion caves and advisors in episode 2 grossed me the gently caress out. Was looking forward to killing them in episode 3 but we all know how that's turned out so far.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What really nailed Half-Life 2's atmosphere for me is the idea that an alien race would use parasites as biological warfare. The concept is seen in classic horror like War of the Worlds where the Martians spray their goo to change the landscape but I've never really seen sci-fi that had the enemy bombard entire cities to turn them into alien zombies. And there's nothing you can really do to combat it because headcrabs are like cats, they can fit anywhere.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I do agree that Half-life 2 has an awesome vibe. Nothing is overly explained but you sort of fill things in for yourself as you explore and observe the environment. Left 4 Dead series is very similar. Valve is so good with storytelling I wish they could spend a little less time on Dota.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I do agree that Half-life 2 has an awesome vibe. Nothing is overly explained but you sort of fill things in for yourself as you explore and observe the environment. Left 4 Dead series is very similar. Valve is so good with storytelling I wish they could spend a little less time on Dota.

I agree they're good at world-building, but I'm not sure that's the same thing as being good at telling a story.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ok yeah, that's more what I meant. I guess it is hard to call it a story when your main character is a mute who doesn't say a word to any of the other characters, or even really acknowledge them.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Nathilus posted:

It's old as gently caress and probably more adventure than horror, but I've always had a soft spot for Sanitarium. It's not exactly horrifying, but the off-kilter atmosphere was done perfectly. Plus, the puzzles are rational (if not always easy) and the game has a TON of variety. There's a children of the corn like scenario, a carnival of the damned, a horrific comic book hero section, and my favorite, a kickass aztec section. In between these, you play in the asylum, which is just as trippy as any of the delusions.

Sanitarium is what I'd call "Adventure Horror." There are few, if any, jump scares which distinguishes it from some other games in that genre, but I think it's way better at putting you in creepy and unsettling environments than poo poo like Phantasmagoria. I also like how the environment and the rules that the setting obeys changes very often so you never quite get a handle on or get comfortable with where you are and what's going on.

I consider it one of the best adventure games ever and definitely a good horror game to look into if you're tired of jump scares and repetitive plots/premises.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sanitarium kind of loses its appeal by the time you get stuck as that weird Olmec statue (WHAT SAY YOU) but the early scenarios are pretty fun in a Goosebumps kind of way.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Sanitarium is what I'd call "Adventure Horror." There are few, if any, jump scares which distinguishes it from some other games in that genre, but I think it's way better at putting you in creepy and unsettling environments than poo poo like Phantasmagoria. I also like how the environment and the rules that the setting obeys changes very often so you never quite get a handle on or get comfortable with where you are and what's going on.

I consider it one of the best adventure games ever and definitely a good horror game to look into if you're tired of jump scares and repetitive plots/premises.

Are there any other games where the horror comes from simulating the helplessness of being an actual mental ward patient like that? I'm kind of glad its a little too much work to program several games at once just to keep it from being as repetitive as jump scares or run away from the boogeyman, but unfortunately that leaves Sanitarium all on its own.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Are there any other games where the horror comes from simulating the helplessness of being an actual mental ward patient like that? I'm kind of glad its a little too much work to program several games at once just to keep it from being as repetitive as jump scares or run away from the boogeyman, but unfortunately that leaves Sanitarium all on its own.

Not really. There's some super old games in the vein of Mystery House called The Institute which are about living in an asylum. For the more recent stuff there's The Cat Lady. Phantasmagoria 2 also deals with a mental patient.

It's a setting that's woefully underused in video games but that may be a good thing. Mental illness is often vilified in videogames or seen as something to be feared rather than empathized. There's a few people using adventure games to try and convey the feelings of mental illness like Depression Quest and I hope more of them get made. I don't want to belittle these efforts by labeling them as "horror video games" but they are very much horrifying for the kinds of lives real people have to live each day.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 1, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Mental illness in certain video games is fairly therapeutic for me... As the effects, red flags that this might not be happening.. stuff like that. It's all very much like my own struggle with mental illness. I dunno if anyone can relate and there are plenty of times in video games where mental illness is mishandled.

I can't think of a great example of mishandling, but a poo poo yet still on point example would be Dead Space's so called "space dementia"... Every time I hear the word dementia used in this context I cringe and my mind screams out "IF THIS WERE TO BE CALLED ANYTHING IT'S PSYCHOSIS, NOT DEMENTIA".

Also I seem to remember a mechanic that Doom 3 had where at anytime, unscripted, a monster could appear behind you. That's loving wonderful. I also like to watch the jimquisition... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLLyU9hXm6Y. Saw that one last night and he makes a wonderful point that's been on my mind for some time. Just he puts it more eloquently than I do. The suspense that something scary might happen, but doesn't 90 percent of the time, is most of the thrill in the first place. When a game can make me adverse to playing it in one way or another while still keeping me hooked, that's gold.

Considering how jaded people are this isn't exactly horror, it's more suspense and kinda always has been. There's nothing to legitimately be afraid of. At least in movies if a character dies they stay dead.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

NeoSeeker posted:

Also I seem to remember a mechanic that Doom 3 had where at anytime, unscripted, a monster could appear behind you.
Nah, they were all pre-placed, there were just so loving many of them.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Outlast
cthulhu game
silent hill series (old)
resident evil series (old)
Penumbra
AvP classic series (oh hey an actually decent horror FPS)
System shock series (^oh wow... they were doing this-incredibly well-since the 90s? Why did they stop....)
Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
Cry of fear/Afraid of monsters
Nightmare house 2
year walk
condemned
Damned
metro series
stalker series
doom 3
fear series
amnesia

What am I missing? Not necessarily horror, but even those more suspenseful games that keep you at the edge of your seat and have good atmosphere. And are single player.

I'm missing a shitload... There needs to be some kind of official list.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 1, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You've got pretty much all the good, semi-recent stuff in the survival horror genre. There's even older poo poo like Alone in the Dark, but that might be a bit more than you're willing to deal with.

You can check out Home of the Underdogs for some of the older and not-quite-so-old stuff as well as freeware games. It has a horror filter and lists pretty much everything that has been even halfway decent since before 2002 or so. I'd recommend Shadow of the Comet (adventure) and maybe Dark Seed 1 & 2 (also adventure) for starters. Dark Seed is more "loving weird" than "scary," but it's pretty interesting.

GOG has Realms of the Haunting, which is more suspense and occult thriller than horror, but also a pretty cool FPS with live-action cutscenes, which is always fun. It's kind of like Undying.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

oh god i am bad at forums

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Lone Survivor is a 2D zombie game with a survival/thriller focus that will absorb your soul if you let yourself get immersed in it. The graphics are pixelly and the soundtrack is awesome, and the map system has you turning corners in the building you're in, so you feel like you're walking around in a square rather than a moebius strip.

Mostly you sneak and shoot your way past zombies, but hiding spots and ammo are both limited. There's sanity and health and hunger, but there's no bars to keep track of; the screen changes filters and the character will make remarks about his status.

The exploration is fun because it's kind of urging you along. It's a constant push from "I need more food" -> "I'm low on ammo" -> "I'm going insane from not using my flashlight" -> "Yes, two bullets" -> "Ok I got a can of fruit" -> "What the gently caress do you mean I need a can opener" -> "Well there's some batteries at least" -> "Maybe if I take one of these pills I found something will hazzxckjjnm"

Fake edit: Also it's basically Silent Hill and sometimes the walls are made of meat

Soho Joe fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Soho Joe posted:

Lone Survivor is a 2D zombie game with a survival/thriller focus that will absorb your soul if you let yourself get immersed in it.
I've heard a lot of good things about this, I'll have to check it out at the next Steam sale. "Home" is one to avoid though right? I get the two mixed up.