Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Are there any horror games that just go as far as they can into the realm of the bizarre that they actually work in becoming uncomfortable by sheer strangeness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Are there any horror games that just go as far as they can into the realm of the bizarre that they actually work in becoming uncomfortable by sheer strangeness?

Can't wait for that Pathologic remake, lemme tell you.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

One of these days I'd love to do a hard surrealist game and/or story focusing on the idea of multiple timelines blending and collapsing. Like, soft levels at first, the usual stuff, but I want it to go all the way at the end into Mythos nightmare extremes of time surrealism.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hell, the void, also made by icepick lodge, is really kind of unnerving like pathologic. it's a good bit more abstract and while it's not outright scary by any means it's tense as hell and some of the designs are pretty grotesque in a 'what the gently caress' kind of way and not really a gory way.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Knock-knock is also good in a very off-putting way. I want to see a good 100% LP of it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not really a horror game but Thumper is surreal to the point of being unnerving.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Bogart posted:

Knock-knock is also good in a very off-putting way. I want to see a good 100% LP of it.

Got drat me too; I've always had a love of that game but never had a chance to sit down and play it when I had the spare time to game more but I always loving adored the aesthetic and concept and designs

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Crabtree posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1rhvFW3Lbo

How's this?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Illbleed!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
yume nikki and its inspired games fits that bill i'd say

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Illbleed is scary? It always felt like it went too much into horror comedy to really be unnervingly surreal to me, but maybe I'm just a weirdo to be creeped out right.

The Yummi Nikkis and Pathologics aren't disqualified, its just they unfortunately have a weakness in that you can look at it and go "Oh wait, I don't know what's going on because this is Eastern European/Japanese as hell". It doesn't take away from their strangeness, I'm just wondering if there is something so bizarre that it defies any sort of cultural understanding or barriers like maybe Weird Dreams kind of does. Like a David Lynch/Neal Breen kind of uniqueness.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 16, 2017

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

.flow is also pretty good in that same genre, for a more sickness/body kind of horror to the weird and unexplained

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Crabtree posted:

It's been mentioned in this thread a bunch before, but LSD (the game) is pretty much exactly what you're describing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol4OSIGGukA

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Crabtree posted:

Deadly Premonition would fit this bill. Wouldn't you agree, Zach?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Do you remember Crytek's Left 4 Dead ripoff Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age? The one that never came out? Well, apparently after Crytek's financial troubles have been sorted a bit, they've decided to come back to the idea with Hunt: Showdown. Except apparently in first person and with two player co-op instead of four.

I wish there were more horror games that used classic monsters in a gothic horror setting, Bloodborne is the most notable one I can think of.

Edit: And Amnesia, of course.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

catlord posted:

Do you remember Crytek's Left 4 Dead ripoff Hunt: Horrors of the Gilded Age? The one that never came out? Well, apparently after Crytek's financial troubles have been sorted a bit, they've decided to come back to the idea with Hunt: Showdown. Except apparently in first person and with two player co-op instead of four.

I wish there were more horror games that used classic monsters in a gothic horror setting, Bloodborne is the most notable one I can think of.

Edit: And Amnesia, of course.

Never heard of this but according to Wikipedia it's free to play so I'm guessing it's going to have microtransactions up the rear end.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Johnny Joestar posted:

hell, the void, also made by icepick lodge, is really kind of unnerving like pathologic. it's a good bit more abstract and while it's not outright scary by any means it's tense as hell and some of the designs are pretty grotesque in a 'what the gently caress' kind of way and not really a gory way.

Any good LPs of THE VOID? It just would NOT run on my PC at all at best and at worst it would just hard lock the entire drat thing, but I wanted so desperately to play it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have played a number of good surreal horror games that get really weird but they tend to be short indie games rather than feature length games and i cant remember the name of any of them. Theres some real "dont hug me Im scared" level poo poo out there but its pretty far off the beaten path

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Don't Chat With Strangers is a pretty straightforward horror story with some awfully strange ways to die, and some of them are ridiculous and surreal.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

Don't Chat With Strangers is a pretty straightforward horror story with some awfully strange ways to die, and some of them are ridiculous and surreal.

Shame the game just kinda shits itself when you finally figure out how to beat it and it just kinda ends.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

FirstAidKite posted:

Shame the game just kinda shits itself when you finally figure out how to beat it and it just kinda ends.

It really feels like the kickstarter demo for another, better game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

It really feels like the kickstarter demo for another, better game.

Isn't that what it was? I think the same dudes made the dark web surfing game which isn't great but is a neat idea and has some fun jump scares especially when they added in the front-door-creeper.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

Isn't that what it was? I think the same dudes made the dark web surfing game which isn't great but is a neat idea and has some fun jump scares especially when they added in the front-door-creeper.

You're thinking of Rides With Strangers, the demo early access thing where you hitch a ride with various different serial killers and try to make it to the end of your trip before they kill you.

Don't Chat With Strangers is a short, relatively obtuse adventure pixel horror game where you wake up, get on the computer, get messaged by some girl, and then a ghost walks up behind you and slits your throat all in the first minute. Then you replay and try to figure out the mechanics of the game to figure out what does what and what interactions you can make that aren't going to result in you just being absolutely murdered. It's like Don't poo poo Your Pants, but not as scary or satisfying.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Drunken Baker posted:

Any good LPs of THE VOID? It just would NOT run on my PC at all at best and at worst it would just hard lock the entire drat thing, but I wanted so desperately to play it.

i had a pretty good time with watching this old one on the lp archive. the videos were uploaded to the internet archive, which is good, because the blip/viddler video links are dead

https://archive.org/details/LP_The_Void

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Crabtree posted:

Killer7 is this all over.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did anybody mention D2?

Because I feel like D2 fits as well

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

FirstAidKite posted:

Did anybody mention D2?

Because I feel like D2 fits as well

The scene with the melting little girl before the final boss in D2 is so loving out of nowhere it's amazing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The boss fights in that game are so....weird

Like the first boss where ok you're fighting against an infected person, and one of his attacks involves doing a magic trick, but then an actual giant fuckin pigeon shows up during the attack completely unrelated to the plot of the rest of the game and what the hell is even going on and then the boss later on that is your mother's robot vagina and aaaaaaaaaa

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
D2:

"This is the only game where a walkthrough can include the text 'now shoot your dead mother's robotic vagina with your new assault rifle' and be dead serious"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I still think Kenji Eno actually had something going on mentally because D2 is the level of bizarre and surreal that feels like it was made by someone with an actual disconnect from reality

plus that time he threw a playstation on the ground and stomped on it on stage at TGS

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Kenji Eno was legitimately insane and there is no possible way to doubt that if you look up the insane things he did and wanted to do.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Johnny Joestar posted:

i had a pretty good time with watching this old one on the lp archive. the videos were uploaded to the internet archive, which is good, because the blip/viddler video links are dead

https://archive.org/details/LP_The_Void

Excellent. Thank you.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
As much as I like Killer 7, looks like we have a winner in D2. Jesus Christ.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Jukebox Hero posted:

Kenji Eno was legitimately insane and there is no possible way to doubt that if you look up the insane things he did and wanted to do.

Anything you'd recommend about this?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
This is the fourth thread where I get to tell people how bad Inner Chains is. It's not an action game and I guess they're trying to make it more of an atmospheric horror but there's nothing scary about it and all you do is walking around and collect letters of the alphabet.

It looks great but the positive values end there.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I played Inner Chains. I picked up a lightning gun and gave a zombie a seizure. Then I found an upset head nailed to a wall, so I gave it a soothing pat.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've never heard of D2, any good LPs of it to watch so I can see this utter madness?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

I've never heard of D2, any good LPs of it to watch so I can see this utter madness?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDC4A196F002F6357
Strap the gently caress in friend

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Just a note about D and D2, since it's an Kenji Eno thing.

Eno had this idea of using digital actors and actresses in his games. The Laura in D, D2, and Enemy Zero is supposed to be the same actress but not the same character.

So don't expect anything from D to carry over to D2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any hope for a World of Darkness type world - does not specifically need to be that but similar - for a kind of survival horror like game? I'm so sick of zombies at this point that I don't even want them gone, I want them to be the joke mob enemy that is barely worth killing for fun. Like so weak that "you'd have to put your hand in their mouth and force its jaws up and down for them to actually bite you" kind of worthless canon fodder. But there exists a multitude of abominations, familiar and undiscovered like vampires and the like, that you need to study, plan and prepare for as they're all out on the hunt tonight.