Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tired Moritz posted:

whatever happened to that PT clone game? The very pretty one that was made by a few people?

The one that got cancelled then revived again? If so I'm curious about that one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also Parasite Eve is near and dear to me because both games have perfectly reasonable reasons why the protagonist is alone all game and most of the supporting cast is reasonable, competent, and helpful to the degree that they can help.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The one that got cancelled then revived again? If so I'm curious about that one too.

yeah, that one. Very curious if it's still alive or dead.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Is that the one where the house gets all moldy and wet and you hear "I see you" and "I'm coming to get you" very clearly before the monsters arrive?

I think there was also Allison Road which also had a really lovely promo game called like Passing Allison Road and that might have gotten the whole project cancelled but I could see them reviving it...

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Jukebox Hero posted:

Is that the one where the house gets all moldy and wet and you hear "I see you" and "I'm coming to get you" very clearly before the monsters arrive?

I think there was also Allison Road which also had a really lovely promo game called like Passing Allison Road and that might have gotten the whole project cancelled but I could see them reviving it...

Yeah allison road from all I can tell is dead.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah allison road from all I can tell is dead.
They announced last year it's back on, but there isn't much news in a while: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/22/allison-road-pt-spiritual-successor-revived
I didn't realize they lost the publisher they picked up after starting the Kickstarter. Looks like it's sort of a side project now.

Inner Chains I'm waiting on more patches for, after the first one I don't hate it, and it sets up a really weird world that's fun to just experience, but there is still some basic functionality missing. At least you can adjust a few graphics options now, it was unplayable due to framerate issues before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jukebox Hero posted:

Everyone with any interest in horror games needs to play Parasite Eve. Probably the sequel too but I don't remember it as well. The 3rd Birthday not so much.

Whatever you do, whatever you might be curious about, do not play The 3rd Birthday. Don't even go look it up to spoil yourself because you don't ever intend to play the game. You will be happier this way. Much, much happier.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

To make it even easier, 3rd Birthday is very much the Other M of Parasite Eve.

"Petit shared many points of criticism with Parish, also noting that Aya's portrayal of "one-part action hero, one-part submissive sex object" was wrong for a lead character, and that Aya's in-combat vocals were not suited to the game's situations. Reed referred to Aya as "[a] sighing, whimpering lead character"."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Note that the original Aya Brea was an enormous badass. Introverted and thoughtful, but her response to something insane setting Carnegie Hall on fire while attending an opera was to charge it and try to arrest it.

Also, weirdly, everyone in PE is like, a sane age. The main character is 25, having been in the NYPD for a couple years out of college and just made Detective, etc. The main plot is bonkers but a lot of the stuff surrounding it is surprisingly sane.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 12, 2017

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Parasite Eve will forever have a place in my heart for the scene where a bunch of mutated freaks with sword arms walk out of their sci fi bunker to kill Aya and her military support arrives just in time to show how scary the monsters are by getting killed murder the gently caress out of the sword wielding monsters by just shooting the holy hell out of them with M16s and grenade launchers, just like you would if your super bio weapons were slow and didn't have a ranged attack and weren't bulletproof

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Parasite Eve will forever have a place in my heart for the scene where a bunch of mutated freaks with sword arms walk out of their sci fi bunker to kill Aya and her military support arrives just in time to show how scary the monsters are by getting killed murder the gently caress out of the sword wielding monsters by just shooting the holy hell out of them with M16s and grenade launchers, just like you would if your super bio weapons were slow and didn't have a ranged attack and weren't bulletproof

In general the people supporting Aya are intelligent and competent at their jobs, they just don't have super powers and some of the biggest threats are creatures humans just can't get close to without bursting into flames. And in those cases, people are pretty willing to accept that yes, the tiny Japanese American supercop is the only one who can handle this, we should give her an M249, and AS12, and point her towards the problem.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Night10194 posted:

In general the people supporting Aya are intelligent and competent at their jobs, they just don't have super powers and some of the biggest threats are creatures humans just can't get close to without bursting into flames. And in those cases, people are pretty willing to accept that yes, the tiny Japanese American supercop is the only one who can handle this, we should give her an M249, and AS12, and point her towards the problem.

"Hello Ms. Brea. Oh, you need ammo? We have boxes of the stuff. Literal truckloads of it. No, you don't have to pay, that's ridiculous."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oxxidation posted:

"Hello Ms. Brea. Oh, you need ammo? We have boxes of the stuff. Literal truckloads of it. No, you don't have to pay, that's ridiculous."

Or the time the cops are like 'Well, this is insane, but it looks like you could be right about the crazy monster lady and we need to take your word seriously since you're a competent detective, plus this could kill an awful lot of people if you're right.' rather than immediately doubting everything.

I love both PE games for being games with a ridiculous premise played completely straight, where most of the characters are taking the situation totally seriously and giving it their all in surprisingly believable ways.

Except Madigan, he's a doofus.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

loga mira posted:

So it's kind of like Tex-mex of horror games. They should use jazz fusion for soundtrack. I'm being too much of an rear end in a top hat over this. They could've chosen to make an interesting looking game, but they picked the boringest most obvious stuff to copy, who cares ultimately. If the game is good it won't matter.
:shrug: I like that art. I'd be happy playing a game inside of it if the game itself wasn't terrible. I don't think it'll scare me, but the art didn't either so whatever.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Everyone with any interest in horror games needs to play Parasite Eve. Probably the sequel too but I don't remember it as well. The 3rd Birthday not so much.
Anyone who has an interest in JRPG design needs to play Parasite Eve. I keep wanting them to make another game, even if it isn't mitochondria-related, just for the actual game mechanics, which worked really well and (as far as I know) haven't been duplicated.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

What about Wayne

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One thing PE 2 did really well for an RE esque tank control game was give you solid ways to switch targets and a clear indication of who you're aiming at. Older REs could've really used that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Skyscraper posted:

Anyone who has an interest in JRPG design needs to play Parasite Eve. I keep wanting them to make another game, even if it isn't mitochondria-related, just for the actual game mechanics, which worked really well and (as far as I know) haven't been duplicated.

Vagrant Story has a similar ish system but it's all swords and stuff no guns. I guess you get crossbows.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RightClickSaveAs posted:

They announced last year it's back on, but there isn't much news in a while: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/22/allison-road-pt-spiritual-successor-revived
I didn't realize they lost the publisher they picked up after starting the Kickstarter. Looks like it's sort of a side project now.

They're last update was November on Facebook, seems like it's dead which sucks.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Sakurazuka posted:

Vagrant Story has a similar ish system but it's all swords and stuff no guns. I guess you get crossbows.
Yeah, I like Parasite Eve for the way it makes guns (and gun modifications, and loot and whatnot) actually work in an RPG. A lot of the time I see that, it doesn't quite feel right.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also it's really funny to imagine a police detective quietly building a shotgun into a repeating incendiary corrosive grenade cannon so she can fight a reanimated t-rex.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I feel like I'm the only person who didn't like Parasite Eve. I played it for the first time a few years ago, and though I found some elements of it pretty interesting, overall the entire thing just fell flat. The story was bad and poorly-written/translated (except for the partner, I remember him being pretty cool). The gameplay was neat, though there were a number of 'gotchas' in the gun customization that could screw you over if you did them. Would've like to see a game with more emphasis on that sort of stuff in the game, though. Also, the final boss is the loving worst, as is the section after it, which is just the developer giving a middle finger to the player each and every time they die.

It must've been a really impressive game when it came out, but these days, ehhhh. But I think that's just me, since everybody else seems to really enjoy it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hated PE because of the final boss, namely the section after where it can corner and insta kill you.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I never played Parasite Eve, but my little brother did. I remember watching him play through that ending chase scene over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until he was literally weeping with frustration.

Good times.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Dandywalken posted:

Hated PE because of the final boss, namely the section after where it can corner and insta kill you.

I had no problem with it, but that was 100% due to multiple people telling me how bad the final boss was and how to beat it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Skyscraper posted:

I had no problem with it, but that was 100% due to multiple people telling me how bad the final boss was and how to beat it.

Yes, because that is 100% the only, and I mean literally the only way, to do that section without any problems. There are no telltale signs, nothing to keep track of, no tricks or anything. If you do not look up a step-by-step guide on where to go and what to do after beating the final boss, you will die and have to fight it again.

Oops! Turned left instead of right. Dead.
Oops! Tried to save. Dead. (this one is particularly spiteful because Aya acts like a loving moron)
Oops! At this turn you turned right instead of left. Dead.
Oops! Didn't run off the ladder the instant the scene loaded. Dead.

And every single time, you get to fight the last boss again. Holy poo poo what a terrible idea, why would anyone think it's good to put this in a game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dandywalken posted:

That last save point is the best troll in videogame history lol

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Morpheus posted:

Yes, because that is 100% the only, and I mean literally the only way, to do that section without any problems. There are no telltale signs, nothing to keep track of, no tricks or anything. If you do not look up a step-by-step guide on where to go and what to do after beating the final boss, you will die and have to fight it again.

Oops! Turned left instead of right. Dead.
Oops! Tried to save. Dead. (this one is particularly spiteful because Aya acts like a loving moron)
Oops! At this turn you turned right instead of left. Dead.
Oops! Didn't run off the ladder the instant the scene loaded. Dead.

And every single time, you get to fight the last boss again. Holy poo poo what a terrible idea, why would anyone think it's good to put this in a game?

sounds like the ending of fatal frame 2.

gently caress I never beat that game

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Tired Moritz posted:

sounds like the ending of fatal frame 2.

gently caress I never beat that game

Hell yeah, you better believe I used a guide for that part. Oh Fatal Frame 2, loving Mayu. That whole game was basically her fault.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 12, 2017

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Hell yeah, you better believe I used a guise foe that part. Oh Fatal Frame 2, loving Mayu. That whole game was basically her fault.

Talking about fault in Fatal Frame games, what about FF5. So much of the tension in that game is hosed when the protagonists can walk out of the spooky place (in this case, a mountain) as they please, and then for some loving reason they keep going back.

"Hm. I should return to the mountain to find this out."

How about you loving stay away from ghost-rear end mountain or at the very least come back when it's the middle of the goddamn day you inebriate

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, I had just finished playing a peculiar horror adventure title for the PS1 called 'The Note' and the basic premise was that you were going into a spooky mansion to fight demons to free these kids. The thing was, instead of finding necessary resources around the mansion you would have to leave and head to the nearby hamlet to refill on bullets or healing items....the thing is that it gets to a point in the game where you have to think "Why am I even going back?". I mean granted the demons are going to murder the kids but otherwise they aren't super malevolent or trying to take over the world, and probably if no one stumbled into their spooky, disused mansion they wouldn't cause a fuss. But nope, you just keep going back and funding this small town by looting gold teeth out of corpses or finding quarters inside of harpies.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Talking about fault in Fatal Frame games, what about FF5. So much of the tension in that game is hosed when the protagonists can walk out of the spooky place (in this case, a mountain) as they please, and then for some loving reason they keep going back.

How about you loving stay away from ghost-rear end mountain or at the very least come back when it's the middle of the goddamn day you inebriate

The premise worked much better in Fatal Frame 3, at least that game had you haunted by ghosts in a spooky dream mansion every time the protagonists fell asleep, Freddy Kruger style. Or even Silent Hill 4 for all its faults, did it right. Where your safe place was also a prison of sorts and it then becomes actively hostile to the player in the second half.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oh yeah in FF3 that situation is scary - the thought that every night you return to a place that you can not escape from, where you can die in, that's spooky. The thought of choosing to return to the haunted locale is just...well it was one of a few issues with that game.

I'd also like the FF games to stop using multiple protagonists, especially if they share upgrade points.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

You mean aside from The shop being no safer than the mountain? Also you can kinda infer that going up during the day means they won't get any answers if there's no ghosts.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Related, has any game made horror work during the daytime? Not like, say, STALKER's feeling of dread but actual outright horror. The beginning of Resi 7 doesn't count because they blanket out all the light sources. :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Feeling like a videogame savant now because I beat the escape from the final boss bits of PE1 and FF2 without a guide. I died once in PE because of that trolltastic save though.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
noonwraiths in the witcher series kind of?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Related, has any game made horror work during the daytime? Not like, say, STALKER's feeling of dread but actual outright horror. The beginning of Resi 7 doesn't count because they blanket out all the light sources. :colbert:

I feel like this is a bit obvious, but Silent Hill? The really scary parts are at night but the foggy sections are still pretty unnerving. Resident Evil 5 managed a pretty cool daytime horror atmosphere for at least several minutes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

poptart_fairy posted:

All I can think of is Firewatch's daytime sections when you know someone is out there watching you. But that's just really creepy dread again.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
the only good thing about ff5 is that the cute dude doesn't die at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

The_Doctor posted:

All I can think of is Firewatch's daytime sections when you know someone is out there watching you. But that's just really creepy dread again.

If they had just cut the part where you find the science equipment and the files talking about mind control I really would have loved that game. As it is, I liked it but man as a result of that bit the whole ending just sorta fell flat for me