Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are a lot of people who would like to play the type of game David Cage makes without them necessarily coming from the man himself, an observation that few developers have made so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

There are a lot of people who would like to play the type of game David Cage makes without them necessarily coming from the man himself, an observation that few developers have made so far.

That was basically Until Dawn and I guess it's getting a prequel. Don't know how I feel about that but being set in a sanitarium doesn't fill me with hope.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

al-azad posted:

That was basically Until Dawn and I guess it's getting a prequel. Don't know how I feel about that but being set in a sanitarium doesn't fill me with hope.

Oh the next game is a prequel? I was hoping it would be a sequel SET ON THE ANNIVERSARY OF THEIR LAST VISIT.

At least, I'd find it funny.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 9, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hadn't heard of an Until Dawn prequel, the developers next game is noir-y detective type thing that goes all in on the 'I played it with my partner/friends watching and making decisions' stuff that happened a lot with UD and lets people vote on what the characters do.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Oh sweet, a new click and play style detective game. [Does a QTE matrix DBZ dodge fest while escaping my apartment]

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Artelier posted:

The one that got to me was the murder that happened while you were playing as the murderer that you didn't see.

this is one of the biggest cheats in writing i've ever seen.

i mean it's still terribly written outside of that since david cage has done no research on police procedure, criminal psychology, or serial killers. but man how did he think he'd get away with that poo poo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Johnny Joestar posted:

david cage's writing is genuinely really awful and i don't know why he is still allowed to be involved with making things

he's basically the david lynch of video game writers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exploded mummy posted:

🤔

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

exploded mummy posted:

Well no. Even in the case you don't like his directing and storytelling style (and those are structurally sound in a way nothing is in Cage's output), Lynch is fundamentally about producing mystery, while David Cage, like so many others, can't help explaining every little thing, often in ludicrous ways.

Johnny Joestar posted:

david cage's writing is genuinely really awful and i don't know why he is still allowed to be involved with making things

At first, at least, it was because he was self-funded. Like, he provided all the money necessary to run QD at least up until their deal with Eidos in the Omikron days. It's also because his successes have nothing to do with writing. He makes games that look like nothing else, play well for casual players and he knows how to make a splash (making use of his music industry connections to get Bowie in Omikron was a big deal). He's probably also helped by the fact his games tend to have strong beginnings, at the point where everything is still possible and you can't yet see the plot falling apart (at least for Omikron, Farhenheit and Heavy Rain. Can't judge Beyond two souls), so they build hype up well.

Chev fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 9, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all of his recent games were bad as games not just their writing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Omikron is really really really bad to play

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I would 100% play a video game made by David Lynch.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

exquisite tea posted:

I would 100% play a video game made by David Lynch.

He had plans about making one, about space lumberjacks IIRC, but thought he'd have trouble funding it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If SWERY could somehow find enough backers to fund his cat people game then I'm confident that David Lynch could do the same, no matter how crazy it sounded.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You know I wonder if Lynch knows just how influential he's been to video game developers. Silent Hill 2, Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, Deadly Premonition, even Life is Strange all crib heavily from his vision.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
And, famously, Link's Awakening.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm pretty sure that if Lynch wanted to make a game the kickstarter would be filled in a matter of minutes. I don't think he'd get Star Citizen money but he'd get enough to make it happen.

Failing that he could release a Short Story branded kart racer where you're all on ride on mowers and use the funds to back the project he wants to make.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Chev posted:

And, famously, Link's Awakening.

I hope to one day play the Inland Empire of video games, whatever that would look like.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

If SWERY could somehow find enough backers to fund his cat people game then I'm confident that David Lynch could do the same, no matter how crazy it sounded.

Hell, Deadly Premonition is just offbrand Twin Peaks: The Game and IIRC the town Alan Wake takes place in looks a whole lot like Twin Peaks.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Alan Wake was basically Stephen King: The Video Game (to the point where King is namedropped in the first minute)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Of course David Cage would animate himself grind-dancing with the woman wearing the tank top and panties. He has a very specific taste, it's always a woman with short brown hair and at some point in the game she'll be wearing a tank top and thong panties.

exploded mummy posted:

Nah not even close, he's more like the David DeCoteau of video game writers.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I hadn't heard of an Until Dawn prequel, the developers next game is noir-y detective type thing that goes all in on the 'I played it with my partner/friends watching and making decisions' stuff that happened a lot with UD and lets people vote on what the characters do.

It's called The Inpatient, a VR game which apparently is set to release in November of this year to zero fanfare.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I would unironically play a FMV game about the thing behind the dumpster in Mulholland Drive.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

Of course David Cage would animate himself grind-dancing with the woman wearing the tank top and panties. He has a very specific taste, it's always a woman with short brown hair and at some point in the game she'll be wearing a tank top and thong panties.

They always always live in a giant loft and have sex with the protagonist regardless of whether or not it makes sense. (Like the frozen zombie man banging the girl in Indigo Prophecy or the bad dad banging the reporter after being shot in Heavy Rain)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

King Vidiot posted:

Nah not even close, he's more like the David DeCoteau of video game writers.

In quality yes, but man, look at how much stuff DeCoteau turns over every year. The man makes crap but he sure makes a lot of it!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I would play an fmv game about trying to order coffee and pie

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chev posted:

Well no. Even in the case you don't like his directing and storytelling style (and those are structurally sound in a way nothing is in Cage's output), Lynch is fundamentally about producing mystery, while David Cage, like so many others, can't help explaining every little thing, often in ludicrous ways.

tbh I was joking but now I want to know how exposition by a dancing dwarf in a red room as he speaks backwards isn't ludicrous

or the time that Cooper spends 5 mintues talking about Tibet and dreams while he chucks stones at a glass bottle to determine investigation leads

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
are cage games even considered horror? other than the horror of bad writing LOL!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not really, Fahrenheit has some horror aspects, Heavy Rain has some Saw type stuff and Beyond has ghosts but that's it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

are cage games even considered horror? other than the horror of bad writing LOL!!!

Omikron has a neat aesthetic and some cyber horror leanings. I still like that game but I'm a sucker for cyberpunk.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

No but Until Dawn, which basically took the David Cage formula and made it good, is definitely horror. They even stole the trope of identifying the hottest girl in the cast and making her determined, against all odds, to take a shower.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

exploded mummy posted:

tbh I was joking but now I want to know how exposition by a dancing dwarf in a red room as he speaks backwards isn't ludicrous

or the time that Cooper spends 5 mintues talking about Tibet and dreams while he chucks stones at a glass bottle to determine investigation leads

Lynch films have a relatively consistent dream logic to them. David Cage games have king fu because he just saw The Matrix and Ellen Page because he's a creep and has a photo album full of just photos of her at various ages.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

exploded mummy posted:

The reason is: David Lynch is trash.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

exploded mummy posted:

read a book

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

s.i.r.e. posted:

The reason is: David Lynch is trash.

We have fun here but this is wrong

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I found both Deadly Premonition and Until Dawn great games to play with a friend and games fun too not take seriously. Deadly Premonition has the most enjoyable protagonist who seems very odd not only to the player, but to the other characters in the game. Until Dawn is great game to play with a friend taking turns making choices, and deciding how much drama you want added to the experience.

Shnag fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 9, 2017

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

King Vidiot posted:

If that's not embarrassing enough to watch by itself when asked about it in an old interview he said it was related to his mother.

I'm not kidding. I wish I was kidding.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shnag posted:

I found both Deadly Premonition and Until Dawn great games to play with a friend and games fun too not take seriously. Deadly Premonition has the most enjoyable protagonist who seems very odd not only to the player, but to the other characters in the game. Until Dawn is great game to play with a friend taking turns making choices, and deciding how much drama you want added to the experience.

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a game designed to integrate with streaming so that your viewers could help decide or even vote on a choice.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

exquisite tea posted:

i think that kickstarter will fail. i dont want it to fail, but the cashflow has been so slow i doubt it will hit the limit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Chev posted:

If that's not embarrassing enough to watch by itself when asked about it in an old interview he said it was related to his mother.

I'm not kidding. I wish I was kidding.

This is the true horror game