Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Not as bad as “make a kickstarter for your Gamer Diapers.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Our game is a new, effective laxative!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Section Z posted:

Do we live in a world dumb enough yet where somebody would think a marketing campaign of people screaming in horror in public restrooms is the new 'Claim your product is so scary it warrants a free diaper'?

"So terrifying you'll be glad you can play it on the toilet!"

The William Castle approach is coming back?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wanna a Lovecraft game where you paint highly detailed paintings of a underground society of flesh eating ghoul dogmen.

You can kinda do that in Cultist Simulator

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Pokemon Snap, but with cthulhus. I'd play it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cardiovorax posted:

Takes a while to get the whole collection because every time you look at something you go mad and babble incoherently for the rest of the trip.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cardiovorax posted:

Pokemon Go, but don't look at your phone screen.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fil5000 posted:

Pokemon Go, but don't look at your phone screen.

So basically SCP Simulator then

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You can kinda do that in Cultist Simulator

Yeah, selling paintings is one activity you can do, if you use eldritch lore as inspiration it draws the attention of the ghost cops, if you use your own Notoriety as fuel for the painting it can sell for more money, you can even make a magic artifact with the right paint.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's kind of cool. You can basically spontaneously recreate the plot premise of the new Call of Cthulhu game with that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I remember one time in cultist simulator i apparently managed to paint the concept of discovery, not a metaphor but the actual concept, and it hosed me up so bad I offed myself seconds before the cops could put me down.

Hell of a painting though

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ceci n'est pas une metaphor.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Has anyone played Duskers? It's pretty dope, the idea and presentation are well done and the gameplay holds up pretty well. However it runs into the issue so many games that rely heavily on procedural generation where you'll get into situations that can't go anywhere but down and your ultimate failure and it wasn't because you played poorly, but "them's the breaks." Which is lovely game design.

Also there isn't much in the way of a goal other than to just survive as long as possible, which kinda sucks.

The dev seems to be done with the title and is going to be worth with JJ Abrams as a creative director on games or something?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Danaru posted:

I remember one time in cultist simulator i apparently managed to paint the concept of discovery, not a metaphor but the actual concept, and it hosed me up so bad I offed myself seconds before the cops could put me down.

Hell of a painting though

Awesome.

The original human language is both the language itself and a god you can meet, named after the Vedic goddess of speech if I recall. Cultist Simulator has some wonderful poo poo in it.

I appreciate that Cultist Simulator does not have a conventional Sanity Meter; instead there's Dread and Fascination and having too much at once will kill you, but only during the wrong season (and Dread can be used to cancel out Fascination which is also cool).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

s.i.r.e. posted:

Has anyone played Duskers? It's pretty dope, the idea and presentation are well done and the gameplay holds up pretty well. However it runs into the issue so many games that rely heavily on procedural generation where you'll get into situations that can't go anywhere but down and your ultimate failure and it wasn't because you played poorly, but "them's the breaks." Which is lovely game design.

Also there isn't much in the way of a goal other than to just survive as long as possible, which kinda sucks.

The dev seems to be done with the title and is going to be worth with JJ Abrams as a creative director on games or something?

I enjoyed Duskers overall but, yeah, I think there were various aspects that hurt the experience. The first is that the enemy variety is very limited--four types total--and once you encounter those four types and learn how to deal with them, a lot of the tension evaporated (at least for me). This is a really bleak far-future sci-fi game set in deep space, so it's kind of disappointing to see that you're mostly dealing with a security bot, a nanite swarm, and fuckin goo. I guess at least the enemies are relatively distinct from one another.

I personally didn't feel like I encountered too many situations where the procedural generation hosed me over, but I can definitely see where it could do so. I sort of saw it as a sci-fi "The Long Dark" or "Don't Starve", where there really isn't a strong end game and the fundamental goal is just to survive as long as you can. The gradual break-down of bots and equipment seems like the concept of entropy in action for Duskers' cold dead universe. That doesn't make it any more fun, but when I'm just shooting to see how long I can last, I tend to give it a pass.

The sound in this game is on point though--particularly with a good pair of headphones.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 11, 2019

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cultist Simulator is one of those games that I wish was putting all it's effort and good ideas into anything other than a card game plate spinner type thing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Cardiovorax posted:

Please post about it somewhere in Tradgames once you're done with it, I'd really like to see what you end up making of the idea.

and link it here too please

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
8 gigs for 30 minutes (once) of re2make. ehh. it's not like im not going to wait for it to be like half off anyway, i'll wait longer

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I personally didn't feel like I encountered too many situations where the procedural generation hosed me over, but I can definitely see where it could do so. I sort of saw it as a sci-fi "The Long Dark" or "Don't Starve", where there really isn't a strong end game and the fundamental goal is just to survive as long as you can.

Is there an actual end-game point where the credits roll and announce that it's basically over?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Speedball posted:

Awesome.

The original human language is both the language itself and a god you can meet, named after the Vedic goddess of speech if I recall. Cultist Simulator has some wonderful poo poo in it.

I appreciate that Cultist Simulator does not have a conventional Sanity Meter; instead there's Dread and Fascination and having too much at once will kill you, but only during the wrong season (and Dread can be used to cancel out Fascination which is also cool).

I wish that I "got" Cultist Simulator more because there seems to be a lot of cool stuff buried under systems where I take six hours to shuffle aspects around to get a high enough tier.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I enjoyed Duskers overall but, yeah, I think there were various aspects that hurt the experience. The first is that the enemy variety is very limited--four types total--and once you encounter those four types and learn how to deal with them, a lot of the tension evaporated (at least for me). This is a really bleak far-future sci-fi game set in deep space, so it's kind of disappointing to see that you're mostly dealing with a security bot, a nanite swarm, and fuckin goo. I guess at least the enemies are relatively distinct from one another.

I personally didn't feel like I encountered too many situations where the procedural generation hosed me over, but I can definitely see where it could do so. I sort of saw it as a sci-fi "The Long Dark" or "Don't Starve", where there really isn't a strong end game and the fundamental goal is just to survive as long as you can. The gradual break-down of bots and equipment seems like the concept of entropy in action for Duskers' cold dead universe. That doesn't make it any more fun, but when I'm just shooting to see how long I can last, I tend to give it a pass.

The sound in this game is on point though--particularly with a good pair of headphones.

Procedural generation has hosed me hard several times, but the worst is spawning without the Motion upgrade. The game says not to "rely too much on Motion," but there's literally no way to tell if something is in a room adjacent to you or not without it. Using Motion, and trying to bait things out of red rooms to green ones, or trying to see if anything is in a yellow room and waiting it out is fantastic. It feels like I'm being really strategic and doing a lot of puzzle solving. Without Motion every time you open a a door you're making a lovely dice roll that you have no way to control. I hate that poo poo, because when your bots are incredibly fragile and having one Alien in a room basically OHKO a single bot if it gets in trying to open a door, drive a bot in and out real quick and close the same door isn't an option and feels like a clunky attempt at action. It just doesn't work.

I like the systems in play (though they need some balancing), and the atmosphere is perfect, it feels like an Alien spin-off, and honestly, it could be repackaged with new assets as an Alien game and I wouldn't give a poo poo. I don't like the degradation system since it's always breathing down your neck; in a game where resources are limited and the encounters you deal with get worse and worse it feels like a war of attrition you'll never overcome. Things break too frequently, I mean jesus christ, my main vessel can lose video signal so I can't see the map anymore and I'm stuck with the worthless drone vision? No thanks. I also don't like that it's basically impossible to stock pile enough to bounce back from a catastrophic failure. I always take Upgrades off dead bots, Tow the ones that can be repaired, and collect 90% of everything on every ship. But having that one run-in where 2 bots get taken out on some bullshit I wasn't able to come back due to the lack of funds and upgrades needed to keep a steady course so I eventually failed.

I really feel like the upgrades and such should be unlocked as you find them, so every time you have to reset you can select different load outs to start the game with. It does that with the story, it really should with everything else.

My other big issue is the path finding of the bots is pretty drat bad and they get stuck, so I have to manually move one or two and resend navigate commands. They're also too loving big and SO many hallways and rooms don't allow 2 to fit next to each other unless their wall to wall which, if you play mostly with the command line, they'll always navigate through the center of a room. Also, towing bots back to the docking bay places them right in the center of it, so if you have 2 towed bots and 4 bots under your control they usually never all fit in it if you send them all back at once. Manually moving the bots isn't that much fun and the less time I spent at the command line the worse the game gets.

They also should have added small video cameras on the bots so you can see their FPV in a multi window when at the command line.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, Duskers is pretty good... at least for a while. The problem is that there's no real resolution to it, so unless you just really like the gameplay for what it is and want to keep trying until you eventually end up dead and have to start over, you probably won't like it.

If you do like it for what it is, there's currently no other experience quite like it, though. s.i.r.e. gives a good example of the kind of thing that makes it so tense and satisfying in the way that every level feels a bit like a puzzle despite not really being one. Baiting monsters out of rooms and exploiting doors to slowly make your way through a hostile environment is pretty tense, and when you manage to find a room with a controllable turret and figure out how to make a real killbox and clean out a ship entirely? Then you just feel really good about yourself.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hell yeah, also herding them into a room with an airlock and blowing them out into god drat space? Ugh, it feels so good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I am trying really hard to not make the obvious joke here.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My Duskers review:

Some good succ.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Skyscraper posted:

Is there an actual end-game point where the credits roll and announce that it's basically over?

Last time I played, there wasn't. I don't think there is, currently, either.

s.i.r.e. posted:

My other big issue is the path finding of the bots is pretty drat bad and they get stuck, so I have to manually move one or two and resend navigate commands. They're also too loving big and SO many hallways and rooms don't allow 2 to fit next to each other unless their wall to wall which, if you play mostly with the command line, they'll always navigate through the center of a room. Also, towing bots back to the docking bay places them right in the center of it, so if you have 2 towed bots and 4 bots under your control they usually never all fit in it if you send them all back at once. Manually moving the bots isn't that much fun and the less time I spent at the command line the worse the game gets.

They also should have added small video cameras on the bots so you can see their FPV in a multi window when at the command line.

Oh my god, yeah, the bots are loving stupid at navigating rooms.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Last time I played, there wasn't. I don't think there is, currently, either.
To the best of my knowledge, no. It's one of the biggest weaknesses of the game. I can live with the drones being stupid, because the game explicitly tells you that they dumb-bots who you will need to handhold. It's what the game is built around, timing and quick reactions. What bothers me is that I can grind forever and learn how to completely dominate all of the everything, but it will do me no good, because there is nowhere to go with it. Even the most over-long roguelikes at least have a Morgoth at the end of their 100-level-deep Angband.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RE2 demo feels and looks great. Maybe if income taxes actually happen I'll pick up the full version.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

and link it here too please

The current gm is running a long adventure on a yith moon base which is another underused setting. Remember in fiction when the moon was weird and magical?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I own a book about aerospace engineering that was written 1953 or so. It's really good and actually very informative, because a lot of the concepts involved really haven't changed much, but it also does things like say "maybe someday, people will actually travel to the moon! wouldn't that be amazing?" and it's the weirdest thing to read. Thinking of it always reminds me how miraculous and awe-inspiring real space travel still is to many people, not least to those for who the moon landing is a matter of living memory.

I count that as a yes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cardiovorax posted:

I can live with the drones being stupid, because the game explicitly tells you that they dumb-bots who you will need to handhold. It's what the game is built around, timing and quick reactions.

The problem is that this is just really lame excuse for the :effort: pathfinding. I mean, come on, the bots can navigate a maze of 10 rooms on their own when given a command but they can't get the gently caress out of each others way? The game is definitely built around timing, but quick reactions it is not. If you get a "drone is taking damage" alert that thing is dead. There's really nothing you can do about it because the game doesn't really have systems in place to deal with such things outside of closing a door quickly enough to shut out an alien.

I like the warnings about structural failures of pipes, doors, airlocks, doors being attacked and potential asteroids because it lights a fire under your rear end to think quickly, but it doesn't require some crazy dexterous movement that requires precise bot movement.

It would be cool if you could power down your bot if an alien is in the same room with it leading to it not getting attacked but then you have to have a gameplan on how to save it. Or maybe have the alien pick the bot up and drag it around to a nest to really throw a wrench into things.

It's such a shame the game is done with, the creator has said he still had a ton of ideas he wanted to put in but oh well.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

The problem is that this is just really lame excuse for the pathfinding. I mean, come on, the bots can navigate a maze of 10 rooms on their own when given a command but they can't get the gently caress out of each others way? The game is definitely built around timing, but quick reactions it is not. If you get a "drone is taking damage" alert that thing is dead.
I was talking more about things like giving commands to drones in a very precise and quick way to pull of complex plans manually, since you can't queue or script their behaviour that far in advance. I'm a fairly experienced programmer and that all made me think it's legitimately how it would feel to manually control ten different programs running in ten different console windows in ways that you'd normally just shell-script, but some reason can't. Initiate a seek-and-write process here, wait exactly 8 seconds there for the follow-up copy because otherwise the file doesn't exist yet or is still being written and the backup process crashes, etc. etc. etc.

I can see how that could also just feel like the lack of what should be a basic convenience feature, so I can't tell you that I think you're really wrong, either. This game isn't all that it could've been, there's really no way to argue with that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My favorite moon imagery is families playing golf unsuited with just a bowl over their head like spongebob.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I was thinking of something harsher. Sunlight on desert sand, not sunlight on a foggy morning. You know of late 19th century Egyptomania? That period of time where people where robbing tombs for mummys to grind up and eat as health tonics? It's part of the reason the Necronomicon was written by an Arab and one of Nyarlathothep's forms is the black pharaoh. The whole "North African mystique" thing was a big deal around that period of time and informed a lot contemporary architecture. There are so many games these days that are designed around industrial decay, I'd like to see something with a color palette more inspired by the dry crumbling of the cradle of human civilization. It makes things feel palpably more ancient to me.

Giving the NPCs the general color scheme of a fading bruise and watery rot would be an interesting way to set that off, though. Modern pressures and social illness contrasted by an otherworldly force that has played with humans since before recorded history.

Yeah, that was more what I'm imagining too, those super saturated Egyptian sunset shades, just hued a bit more yellow and with a lot of water elements instead of sand. Like a desert made of solid stone with endless little water pools and waterfalls, soaked in the colors of a near-death sunset with excessive shadows. A sort of fever mix of ancient Egyptian, Hyperborean, Greek and Roman, with some dreamlike Victorian thrown around into the fusion.

Kind of! I love modern horror that uses that aesthetic and palette, the lonely wild lands type. Make the color saturation more extreme, and the shadows even heavier than that. Like the world is painted to some degree, trapped in pre-twilight.

al-azad posted:

Totally stealing the Carcosa-as-a-theater-play bit for my weekly Cthulhu game and this article on

Totally stealing this bit for my Cthulhu RPG group using this article on millennials as the burnout generation as fuel for the fire.

Oh hey nice, I just read that article a few days back. That'd be an excellent spring board for a Mythos campaign. The Dreamlands are way better for gaming settings I find over the tired old of shoggoths n' squids, or better a great complement to that tired old to help balance it out and spice the stakes up. Let me know how it goes. I'm near the end of a big campaign myself that featured a post-world of surviving souls after Azathoth's dream collapsed in its waking, with a lot of focus on the Dreamlands and their changing nature.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Black August posted:

Yeah, that was more what I'm imagining too, those super saturated Egyptian sunset shades, just hued a bit more yellow and with a lot of water elements instead of sand. Like a desert made of solid stone with endless little water pools and waterfalls, soaked in the colors of a near-death sunset with excessive shadows. A sort of fever mix of ancient Egyptian, Hyperborean, Greek and Roman, with some dreamlike Victorian thrown around into the fusion.
I'd rather be rid of the Greco-Roman elements because that's even more overused than Gothic architecture, but otherwise, that sounds very good to me. Lots of red sandstone, little running streams of dusty water that almost looks like blood, and all feeling just terribly dead despite the essential liquid of all life on Earth being so abundantly present. A nice way to contrast the watery themes of the mythos with the sun-baked dryness of northern Africa. It's how I always imagined Carcosa to look: bright, rocky, surrounded by clouds, and completely and utterly dead.

quote:

The Dreamlands are way better for gaming settings I find over the tired old of shoggoths n' squids
Everyone's sick of squids, but I think there's still a lot to be done with shoggoths. The CoC RPG features shoggoth lords who are everyone's favourite shapeshifting blob after they age enough to become sapient and take on the form of other living things. They infiltrate human society that way. Imagine a game that's half Dead Space meat environments and half John Carpenter's The Thing rampant paranoia, punctuated by the occasional and very graphic flesh-monster mutation.

Sure, it's less novel, but that's not in small part because this kind of thing simply makes for very effective and very visceral horror.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd rather be rid of the Greco-Roman elements because that's even more overused than Gothic architecture, but otherwise, that sounds very good to me. Lots of red sandstone, little running streams of dusty water that almost looks like blood, and all feeling just terribly dead despite the essential liquid of all life on Earth being so abundantly present. A nice way to contrast the watery themes of the mythos with the sun-baked dryness of northern Africa. It's how I always imagined Carcosa to look: bright, rocky, surrounded by clouds, and completely and utterly dead.

Everyone's sick of squids, but I think there's still a lot to be done with shoggoths. The CoC RPG features shoggoth lords who are everyone's favourite shapeshifting blob after they age enough to become sapient and take on the form of other living things. They infiltrate human society that way. Imagine a game that's half Dead Space meat environments and half John Carpenter's The Thing rampant paranoia, punctuated by the occasional and very graphic flesh-monster mutation.

Sure, it's less novel, but that's not in small part because this kind of thing simply makes for very effective and very visceral horror.

I can't resist the Greco-Roman columns. Just keep the columns and I'm happy. That and the scattering of ruined statues of forgotten gods and lords. And YES, exactly- that's my ideal for the Aureolin/Carcosan aesthetic, something that has all the elements of life (wet, water, earth, stone, plants, vines) but it's all represented as an almost undead state of being, or alive for far far too long, as to seem dead. A kind of dreaming suspended state of existence between the moment a dream ends and you wake up, still just barely aware of both worlds.

Haha, I LOVE shoggoths, I was being a bit self-aggrandizing there. In my game setting I made the decision that shoggoths were actually formed from a single-cell sample culture from Azathoth's body, harvested by a very old Elder Thing who undertook the Dream Quest and ascended to the Black Throne. From there they made protomatter, godflesh, able to assume infinite form and mass, before it started to adapt on its own. It's become the focal point of the endgame of the campaign after having been present since it began 5 years ago. The PCs even made pals with some lost Mi-Go helped by a brain in a jar who had managed to bridge the issue of giving themselves human-level logic leap ability, which had the unfortunate side effect of giving a lot of them brain damage or humanoid traits.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
I have started having Silent Hill 4 dreams again so now I am obligated to reinstall it and play through. I don't know what it is about this game, I mean objectively it isn't even that good a game, even if you can get past its sin of trying to be different than the first 3 games in the series. But something about the fleshy moist environments, the off-putting stilted dialogue, and how right away you fight enemies that can chase you through walls and cannot be killed. The audio (burping nurses aside) is also unnervingly creepy. It's legitimately one of the scariest games I ever played and it has burned itself into my psyche or something because I can't ever get it out of my head.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Junk posted:

I have started having Silent Hill 4 dreams again so now I am obligated to reinstall it and play through. I don't know what it is about this game, I mean objectively it isn't even that good a game, even if you can get past its sin of trying to be different than the first 3 games in the series. But something about the fleshy moist environments, the off-putting stilted dialogue, and how right away you fight enemies that can chase you through walls and cannot be killed. The audio (burping nurses aside) is also unnervingly creepy. It's legitimately one of the scariest games I ever played and it has burned itself into my psyche or something because I can't ever get it out of my head.

The first part of Silent Hill 4 is the best Silent Hill, IMO. It didn't have the deep thematic feel of the actual town, but the systems they did have nailed home the horror perfect.

Shame about *waves hand*

Vakal
May 11, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

The first part of Silent Hill 4 is the best Silent Hill, IMO. It didn't have the deep thematic feel of the actual town, but the systems they did have nailed home the horror perfect.

Shame about *waves hand*

Every time I see or play the haunted apartment sections of SH4 I just get sad since it reminds me that the gaming development community just seems completely unable to make a spooky first person haunted house game.

Then I remember Silent Hills PT and get even more sad.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

SH4 was SO CLOSE to getting it right. So drat close. Hell, when I first saw PT my very first thought was "This a SH4 remake, or?"