Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright, here's a short play-by-play of the first five minutes or so.

So basically it does a bunch of horror things well in a game where you wouldn't expect such a thing. Interesting, sounds just like the Cradle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

So basically it does a bunch of horror things well in a game where you wouldn't expect such a thing. Interesting, sounds just like the Cradle.
I've played both and in practice, it very different. There's a reason they're usually mentioned in the same breath, though, yes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The main difference is that you're also a spooky undead monster* in VtMB but the haunted house is early enough in the game that you're still pretty weak and you haven't really encountered any other supernatural creatures than other vampires so it has more of an impact than if you went there later.

*you can look like this

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

The main difference is that you're also a spooky undead monster* in VtMB
It's more than that, but I kind of struggle to really explain it. The Cradle is very interactive, it's a place where you go to do something. At the same time, the environment per se isn't really all that active or dangerous. The Ocean House is something that happens to you a lot more than that. The environment isn't interactive, but it's dangerous and full of hazards. In the Cradle, you're tense all the time because something might sneak up on you. In the Ocean House, you're scared to go into a new room because the place itself might do god knows what to you.

It's a very different feel, is all I can really say. You'd know it if you played them back-to-back, but in the end, it doesn't really matter all that much, because they are supposed to basically be the same thing. It's mostly a difference in execution.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Since the Dead by Daylight thread is dead. I thought it may interest some that there are leaks that have occurred that may interest everyone here, the new licensed survivor, spoilers for name and link to leak:

Ash Williams

https://gamerant.com/dead-by-daylight-ash-evil-dead-leak

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Interesting, but nothing can save DBD from being a bad game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Unless the character can add mechanics having a boomstick and or chainsaw arm to the game, I'm not sure of the point. It's like, why play Bill from L4D if he's not constantly asking for pills?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkhrCJF8Y4s

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Orochi Group is a Secret World thing. Cautiously optimistic.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

That looks like my kinda jam.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Glagha posted:

I'm gonna second the whole hotel isn't that scary in bloodlines thing. Like it's definitely a really cool part of that game don't get me wrong, a lot of good atmosphere and everything, but like, 90% of that level is of an axe wielding maniac appearing and disappearing which is pretty spooky but low impact, and random furniture bring thrown at you which is again, kind of tense because any object might be a weapon to be used against you but is not scary. You're an immortal vampire, it's hard for axe murderers and poltergeist shenanigans to be scary. Then again this is also long after that game was current.

thirding this - but also i suppose it's a personal thing where poltergeist stuff is inherently goofy to me, just imagining this invisible spirit lifting stuff up and waving it around to spook you

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Personally, even at the time I found the level above the internet café a lot freakier than the hotel. The violent backstory combined with those creepy crawlies that could pop up from anywhere was really unnerving, especially with that (in retrospect annoying) sound design.

The hotel was kind of meh on the scary scale.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ulex minor posted:

thirding this - but also i suppose it's a personal thing where poltergeist stuff is inherently goofy to me, just imagining this invisible spirit lifting stuff up and waving it around to spook you
I wonder if my own familiarity with WoD stuff had anything to do with how well that level worked for me. I had read a bunch of Wraith sourcebooks at that age and spectres (evil, well, eviller ghosts) are seriously dangerous. They're real monsters, not just angry people, and materializing and starting to slash you up Jason Vorhees style is well within the capabilities of the most dangerous of them.

I suppose on some level, I was expecting something like that to happen with every spooky vision they gave you. If I had been convinced it was just "lol spoopies throwing pots at me," I might not have been as impressed with the whole thing, either.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bogart posted:

Orochi Group is a Secret World thing. Cautiously optimistic.

I love the TSW setting but have no faith in Funcom. How was their amusement park game? That's probably a good baseline for what to expect.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Cardiovorax posted:

I wonder if my own familiarity with WoD stuff had anything to do with how well that level worked for me. I had read a bunch of Wraith sourcebooks at that age and spectres (evil, well, eviller ghosts) are seriously dangerous. They're real monsters, not just angry people, and materializing and starting to slash you up Jason Vorhees style is well within the capabilities of the most dangerous of them.

I suppose on some level, I was expecting something like that to happen with every spooky vision they gave you. If I had been convinced it was just "lol spoopies throwing pots at me," I might not have been as impressed with the whole thing, either.

hmmm, interesting point!

i was deeply into the horror genre in all types of media at that age too, but never encountered any poltergeist stuff that really got under my skin. ghosts in general are frightening though! it's possible the tone of the game might have lessened it's impact as well, i'm not sure...

trying to think of other comparisons where i was unnerved:

The Borley Haunted Mansion in Silent Hill 3 as another (much shorter) similar sort of set piece. obvious difference being it's a literal 'haunted house' attraction

or

The Ravenholm section from Half Life as a more 'horror' themed section in a game which generally i wouldn't call scary

ulex minor fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 28, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That one mansion in A Hat In Time was more genuinely scary to me than a lot of entire horror games

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ulex minor posted:

hmmm, interesting point!

i was deeply into the horror genre in all types of media at that age too, but never encountered any poltergeist stuff that really got under my skin. ghosts in general are frightening though! it's possible the tone of the game might have lessened it's impact as well, i'm not sure...
Enough people have expressed the sentiment that I'm sure it had some influence on it. I wonder what the comparison between people who reacted with "this shouldn't be in this game, so it probably won't be too bad" versus "this shouldn't be in this game, so they might make it do anything!" would look like. I know I fell in the latter category. That level felt so out of place compared to how everything else in the game had just worked so far, I expected god knows what to happen next, including a hole into the Tempest tearing open and hordes of howling spectres just flooding the place.

They kept that in the back hand for the other creepy house, so I feel a bit justified, haha.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Echoing a few things that have already been stated about the hotel level, but I wanted to get a few thoughts out about it.

Having never played Vampire, not knowing the world or anything more than this was an RPG about bloodsuckers, the game does a great job of really making you feel like you've had the wool lifted from your eyes.

Jeanette(?), the quest giver, just casually mentions the hotel is haunted. Its been years, but I'm sure there's a dialogue path that has her laughing at you because you're a dang vampire but you can get freaked out because you've found out ghosts exist. She tells you they're harmless and just really annoying,

And like others have said, you go to this looming mansion and still unsure of your own powers or the world you're in, you start creeping around the place. And the drat ghost starts throwing poo poo at you and drops a lift on your head. It stalks you through the labyrinthine hotel, lurking in the shadows and sometimes only showing up if you use your vampire senses. You see phantasms of old murders and re-trace the last steps of the victims as spectral flames engulf the building and...

She was right all along. To someone who knows about these things and has lived in this world. It really was just an annoying rear end in a top hat. And every other run you do you'll just shrug your shoulders at it and beeline to where you need to go.

I also committed the cardinal sin and played the game as a Malk first. (I didn't know! How could I have known?) So I was sure half the spooks were some kind of "insanity effect" too. Hahaha.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Len posted:

I love the TSW setting but have no faith in Funcom. How was their amusement park game? That's probably a good baseline for what to expect.

It was an incredibly lame short game, that turned into a PT ripoff at the end. Both of the twists at the end were super obvious and cliche. Yet another protagonist in a horror game feeling guilt for murdering a loved one. Oh, and it's also just a dream. Also, a bee in a jar is important for some reason.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Len posted:

Fun walking simulator with some nice atmosphere.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQIWmfC_CCw

:toot:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oooooh dayum. Now there's something I never thought I'd see. I wonder if this one will be Backstroke of the West levels of mistranslated, too. I don't think it will, but it's almost part of the atmosphere after so long.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nah. The Pathologic HD rerelease is a much better translation.

Len posted:

Wasn't great!

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Speaking of pathologic, it's apparently coming out on May 23.

Edit: you were speaking about pathologic because of the reveal trailer. I'm an idiot

Meallan fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 30, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It was an incredibly lame short game, that turned into a PT ripoff at the end. Both of the twists at the end were super obvious and cliche. Yet another protagonist in a horror game feeling guilt for murdering a loved one. Oh, and it's also just a dream. Also, a bee in a jar is important for some reason.

I dunno if you played TSW but the player characters are basically mechs piloted by bees.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Danaru posted:

That one mansion in A Hat In Time was more genuinely scary to me than a lot of entire horror games

Yeah likewise. Up to that point you've been bonking mafia in costumes on the head, and starring in bird-directed films. Then you walk by this cellar, the doors slam open and a skin-crawling pounding soundtrack plays.

And inside, you have no idea what to expect. Some cute ghost? But as you walk down the hallway this black shadow screeches at you and shuffles towards you while the music and your vision get hosed up and poo poo. It set me on edge just by how absolutely different it was from the rest of the game.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Len posted:

I dunno if you played TSW but the player characters are basically mechs piloted by bees.

I had thought this was also true of Warframe for a really long time.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Unagi is cool and good and my friend.

FNaF VR: Help Wanted status report! Apologies for no pics or links (phone posting):

- regarding the pulled cover/site art: per Scott Cawthon this was a genuine mistake on the part of the artists. They were under deadline, didn’t have finished in-game art, so did a web search for what they needed and mistakenly took some fan models as official art! Scott apologized and the cover was re-done with his models, currently up at scottgames.com

- it appears the game is being shown off at some game shows and there’s some footage online. Animatronics move in real time instead of a static camera image; other parts force you to face the life-sized characters while you replace parts or clean them, leading to a potential jumpscare.

- The Sony direct stated the game is out in Spring. I forget the site (metacritic?) but an April release month was posted. It’s out for Sony first but will ultimately be on all VR platforms.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'd be interested in a jump scare game that doesn't have finished assets. Can you make a scary glitch?

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
That's easy considering the source engine red "ERROR" model sets off a primal fight or flight in me anyway

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Crabtree posted:

I'd be interested in a jump scare game that doesn't have finished assets. Can you make a scary glitch?

Ask the Video Game Hoaxes and Urban Legends thread. It's a bit long in the tooth, but for creepy glitches real and fake it's still the best source you could look for.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It would be interesting to see a horror game that intentionally corrupts the game code through various means to deliver scares rather than the fake glitches of Sonic/Zelda creepypastas.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Crabtree posted:

https://twitter.com/8BitCreepyPasta/status/1043012038056759296?s=19

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

There's some game I can't remember, where the premise is you and some other NPCs live in a debug area and make forays into garbage data for supplies and have to get out before the level is overwritten. I don't think it was horror but the concept unnerved me

edit: Continue?9876543210

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 30, 2019

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Chad Jihad posted:

There's some game I can't remember, where the premise is you and some other NPCs live in a debug area and make forays into garbage data for supplies and have to get out before the level is overwritten. I don't think it was horror but the concept unnerved me

Digital Devil Saga possibly?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

exquisite tea posted:

It would be interesting to see a horror game that intentionally corrupts the game code through various means to deliver scares rather than the fake glitches of Sonic/Zelda creepypastas.
Nanashi no Game?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks to Anthem and 76, I kinda want to see a horror game about game design. You get taken into a company you've worshiped and loved throughout your childhood only to be chewed up and spit out by a cavalcade of incompetence, neglect and devotion the company's past.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Why buy a game about it when you could just get hired by EA and get paid for the experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dunno how much horror is in it, but anyone tried Interpoint yet? Is it good / is it reasonably complete or is the Early Access aspect still showing?