Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Just sounds like you'll make Death Wish, but hopefully with no illusions that you're the good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

So far, much better. Instead of discrete puzzle rooms like Lucanor had, Yuppie Psycho has more logical tasks that fit the setting. For example, right now I need to get a book from the company library. I have to fill out a form just to access the library, which requires me to go to the archives. The info for the form is found in different departments, each of which has a different puzzle to solve like re-arranging stacks to get to a file.

It still uses a limited save mechanic, and I can't say how restrictive it'll be yet but I also haven't been in danger as often as I was just trying to get around the halls in Lucanor. Really Yuppie feels like an all-around improvement.

That's good to hear, I got tired of dying in dumb spots in Lucanor and having to redo an annoying puzzle or stealth section, otherwise I liked it a ton. Sounds like I'd love this one.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

RichterIX posted:

This loving bums me out because I loved Detention. Isn't it enough to just take the Winnie the Pooh joke out?

I think the biggest problem might be that any re-release might get review bombed again?

It's a real shame, I wish steam did something about that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Just sounds like you'll make Death Wish, but hopefully with no illusions that you're the good guy.

I was thinking more of a Black Mirror deal, whatever that trope is where someone is getting texted kill challenges on their phone by some faceless sadist and it's like an open world Hitman level.

I hate-enjoy those Lucius games. They're trash leaning more on adventure than anything else but they're nice and gory with some fun set pieces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHpib6iycI8&t=170s

e: Now that I think about it, Party Hard is Manhunt + Hitman it just has an 80s aesthetic instead of grindhouse.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 28, 2019

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

ZearothK posted:

Anyone's given the Pathologic demo that came out today a try?

Late to answer, but probably will once I'm done loving around with Sundered.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The third game in the series that is Downfall, The Cat Lady, and Lorelai is out on GOG & Steam. Pretty excited. Downfall was good, The Cat Lady was great. Hoping Lorelai gets some more attention.

Picked it up the moment you said it was releasing-- I'd forgotten when it was slated for, so thanks for that! I'm saving it for my next worknight. Pretty hype, even if Downfall admittedly fell pretty flat with me. The game definitely had its moments, but Joe isn't a very compelling character, and I can't help but feel like it was trying to tackle a subject that it wasn't quite wrapping its head around.

Hoping for more Cat Lady and less-- that, even if Cat Lady had its moments of severe disappointment. Like, the kid detail was pretty unnecessary, and undermined what I felt was a rather refreshing angle to take. I found myself wondering why she couldn't just be a depressed/older/single woman without the babybabybaby baggage attached, and got really bummed out that that was the case. It's admittedly kinda killed my desire to replay it.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 28, 2019

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

RichterIX posted:

This loving bums me out because I loved Detention. Isn't it enough to just take the Winnie the Pooh joke out?

Hi, I’m China. 5000 years of history has resulted in the thinnest skin in the world. We murder people for less than calling our rotund Winnie The Pooh-like dictator Winnie The Pooh.

That game is gone. The developers probably likewise.

Old Boot posted:

Picked it up the moment you said it was releasing-- I'd forgotten when it was slated for, so thanks for that! I'm saving it for my next worknight. Pretty hype, even if Downfall admittedly fell pretty flat with me. The game definitely had its moments, but Joe isn't a very compelling character, and I can't help but feel like it was trying to tackle a subject that it wasn't quite wrapping its head around.

Hoping for more Cat Lady and less-- that, even if Cat Lady had its moments of severe disappointment. Like, the kid detail was pretty unnecessary, and undermined what I felt was a rather refreshing angle to take. I found myself wondering why she couldn't just be a depressed/older/single woman without the babybabybaby baggage attached, and got really bummed out that that was the case. It's admittedly kinda killed my desire to replay it.

Downfall was definitely no The Cat Lady. But it has its moment, despite Joe’s non character. The scene where he’s in bed with Ivy and they’re talking about their past and the player basically gets to choose not just what happened, but how Joe perceived things to have happened... that’s interesting and stands out.

As for the depression angle on TCL: I think it has to do with accessibility. A lot of people (the majority of people) would just not be able to connect to someone whose depression isn’t triggered by a major external event. I think the choice was to either educate people on depression that don’t necessarily have a clear cause, or make the story about trauma and tragedy that works better as a story.

On that level, what they went with was appropriately tragic, and it still seems to have connected with a lot of people struggling with depression. The reason for the depression might not be something they can identify with, but they can identify with effect and the struggle.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

al-azad posted:

e: Now that I think about it, Party Hard is Manhunt + Hitman it just has an 80s aesthetic instead of grindhouse.
It's supposed to be more reminiscent of Hotline Miami, I think. With the pixel art aesthetic and puzzle game style gameplay, what little gore there is becomes more cartoonish than gorny, so it's not quite a fair comparison I think.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Old Boot posted:

I did manage to play through the demo and I am entirely hyped. I was still having poor performance (you can supposedly improve it by running as admin), but re-visiting the reimagined town felt very... Emotional? Nostalgic? It is fitting that Artemy's story is about coming back home after several years. The intro/tutorial dream segment was delightful, but I did feel it was a bit of fan-service, I'd love to hear the impressions from someone truly new. Game looks great and seems more accessible than the original, gameplay is definitely communicated better and the survival aspects were kinder, but this is naturally the early game, so I expect the game to pull its punches a bit. When day 1 properly started all I wanted was to revisit old places and characters to see how they are now and I was often surprised by the twists of old events. This is it, I am throughly hyped for this.

I am not the most reliable reviewer, Pathologic 1 is one of my all time favorite games, I've ran a RPG campaign inspired by it, I've bought, finished and enjoyed¹ every Ice-Pick Lodge game, I am 100% the target audience for this.

¹Okay, I didn't enjoy Cargo!.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Honestly the thing I didn't like about Downfall more or less comes down to me not liking the fact that the entire game is just joe going around killing the other apartment tenants because man was that just a downer :( I mean, I know it is supposed to be sad and depressing but I kinda wish it hadn't gone that far with it.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

ZearothK posted:

I'd love to hear the impressions from someone truly new.

Same. I already played all three scenarios in the original.

FirstAidKite posted:

Honestly the thing I didn't like about Downfall more or less comes down to me not liking the fact that the entire game is just joe going around killing the other apartment tenants because man was that just a downer :( I mean, I know it is supposed to be sad and depressing but I kinda wish it hadn't gone that far with it.

The main thing that got me with this is that you're clearly supposed to sympathize with the guy, but the framing around it makes it pretty drat difficult. It's been a while, but the main impression I kept getting beyond All of the Above was my girlfriend's eating disorder is all about meeeeee.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

As for the depression angle on TCL: I think it has to do with accessibility. A lot of people (the majority of people) would just not be able to connect to someone whose depression isn’t triggered by a major external event. I think the choice was to either educate people on depression that don’t necessarily have a clear cause, or make the story about trauma and tragedy that works better as a story.

On that level, what they went with was appropriately tragic, and it still seems to have connected with a lot of people struggling with depression. The reason for the depression might not be something they can identify with, but they can identify with effect and the struggle.

I get that. And I get that certain framing devices make it more accessible, but my god, the sheer number of MY BABY tragedies with female leads is getting really old, no matter what the medium happens to be. It's right up there with a male lead whose wife exists in the narrative solely to get murdered.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 28, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

ZearothK posted:

I am not the most reliable reviewer, Pathologic 1 is one of my all time favorite games, I've ran a RPG campaign inspired by it, I've bought, finished and enjoyed¹ every Ice-Pick Lodge game, I am 100% the target audience for this.
Pathologic was nice and I'm glad to see it get a sequel, but what I would really like to see would be another game in the vein of The Void, which is one of the most uniquely designed and beautiful games I've ever played.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

It's supposed to be more reminiscent of Hotline Miami, I think. With the pixel art aesthetic and puzzle game style gameplay, what little gore there is becomes more cartoonish than gorny, so it's not quite a fair comparison I think.

Aesthetically yes, but the gameplay is all about murdering people in plain sight using elaborate traps which is absolutely Hitman.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
People told me that Downfall was just a silent hill 2 clone. True?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The best thing about Manhunt was the way the enemies behaved. It was kind of like the proto-Arkham Asylum where you'd start out levels with these swaggering idiots declaring how badly they were going to find you and mess you up. Then you start picking them off and they become blubbering wrecks wondering who's throwing heads around.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

Aesthetically yes, but the gameplay is all about murdering people in plain sight using elaborate traps which is absolutely Hitman.
I suppose that's true. Party Hard is quite a bit more tongue-in-cheek, though.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Tired Moritz posted:

It tries really, really hard to be exactly that, yes.

Does a good job of missing the mark on that, too.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Cardiovorax posted:

Pathologic was nice and I'm glad to see it get a sequel, but what I would really like to see would be another game in the vein of The Void, which is one of the most uniquely designed and beautiful games I've ever played.
I'm so with you here. The Void was haunting, frustrating, nerve-wracking, riveting, fatiguing, and a whole bunch of other competing adjectives at the same time. I've never seen anything quite like it. The one and probably only tattoo I'll ever get is from the game :v:

I'd even love if they just did a remake and modernize it, maybe making the resource management less taxing, as I get less patient in my older age. The game was really difficult to play under default settings.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

al-azad posted:

I hate-enjoy those Lucius games. They're trash leaning more on adventure than anything else but they're nice and gory with some fun set pieces.

Lucius was such a fun idea for a game it's really disappointing that it didn't live up to the premise

reminds me of how excited i was for that first blair witch project game that turned out to have almost literally nothing in common with the tone or theme of the movie

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'd even love if they just did a remake and modernize it, maybe making the resource management less taxing, as I get less patient in my older age. The game was really difficult to play under default settings.
If you ever plan to play it again, I can give you a little tip there: apparently, for the US version, the devs massively cranked up the passive passage of time when on the map. I played the Euro version, which is massively slower, as I can confirm from when compared it with video footage. There is (or was) a mod available that will adjust the speed to European levels, so give it a shot if you ever feel like it. It really makes things more manageable.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm so with you here. The Void was haunting, frustrating, nerve-wracking, riveting, fatiguing, and a whole bunch of other competing adjectives at the same time. I've never seen anything quite like it. The one and probably only tattoo I'll ever get is from the game :v:

a fiery trident isn't exactly cool tattoo material though???

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cardiovorax posted:

If you ever plan to play it again, I can give you a little tip there: apparently, for the US version, the devs massively cranked up the passive passage of time when on the map. I played the Euro version, which is massively slower, as I can confirm from when compared it with video footage. There is (or was) a mod available that will adjust the speed to European levels, so give it a shot if you ever feel like it. It really makes things more manageable.

!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah, I had a ten hour playthrough dead-end from lack of color the first time I tried it and I still came back to finish it from the start. The Void is also up there amongst my favorites and it's a game that still haunts me to this day, but I feel they succeeded in giving the concept justice. Pathologic was very much an amateur effort and was broken on most levels, so I think the remake is very much warranted.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Kinda yeah but the way it tackles it is different, more about showing how it got to that point rather than the confusion and denial.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm sorry I can't link you to it, but it has been, God, three years at least since I last played it. Feels like more. You can probably find it on ModDB or the Steam forums.

There was another one that makes trees reusable. I used that one, it kind of goes against the point of the gameplay, but it made everything just so much more enjoyable to explore for me that I don't care.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 28, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
OK, so what I'm hearing re: Manhunt is:

• 80s-90s VCR aesthetic and setting
  • Voyeur element for player perspective
  • Responsive enemy NPC state to put more meat on player's agency.

Some specific questions (I am comparing this against a semiformed design doc I have):

1. Do you think firearms helped Manhunt, or was the melee more appealing?
2. Would manhunt levels work if, instead of a team of idiot individually killable enemies, you were wearing down/evading a single much nastier enemy as you complete other objectives?
3. How would you feel about the use of digital, cable-style artifacting in some cases instead of VCR?

Right now what I've got has a lot of Manhunt's framing and aesthetic, but the gameplay is closer to, e.g., stay out of the house.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

3. How would you feel about the use of digital, cable-style artifacting in some cases instead of VCR?
It's less iconic and would not carry the same message, I think. VCR noise in this particular case was meant to represent the "underground-ness" of the purported snuff movies the Manhunt protagonist was starring in - something that is produced cheaply and copied over and over, like cheap porn or bootleg movies.

Cable artifacting is something a: fewer people will be familiar with (I have never owned a cable subscription) and b: something more connected to public TV in people's minds, so I do not think it would be an effective aesthetic twist to put on a game like this. The only really comparable concept in the internet age is low-quality streaming and video clips, which are more defined by stuttering (which harms gameplay) and low resolution and framerate (which harms everything else.)

I'm with the guy who said that if another game like this was made, it would also have to be set in the same time period, with the same technological trappings.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Look at Kane and Lynch 2 for that. It's all supposed to, like, be shot from a cell phone. When you pop a dude's head with a shotgun, it just blooms into a big awful mass of pixels.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

Huh I had no idea! I'll check that out if I ever install it again. The only way I actually ended up finishing it originally was using a fan made hack that let you go in and manually give yourself color when you needed it.

double nine posted:

a fiery trident isn't exactly cool tattoo material though???
I'm drawing the heretic glyph on you IRL right now buddy

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Discendo Vox posted:

Firearms did the opposite of helping. While it was amazing to blow some dudes head off with a shotty and see the actual brains on the wall the game as a whole went to pot when it became more shooter than stealth. Keep it a stealth affair.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Huh I had no idea! I'll check that out if I ever install it again. The only way I actually ended up finishing it originally was using a fan made hack that let you go in and manually give yourself color when you needed it.
I'm drawing the heretic glyph on you IRL right now buddy

O

so what was it a tattoo of

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

OK, so what I'm hearing re: Manhunt is:

• 80s-90s VCR aesthetic and setting
  • Voyeur element for player perspective
  • Responsive enemy NPC state to put more meat on player's agency.

Some specific questions (I am comparing this against a semiformed design doc I have):

2. Would manhunt levels work if, instead of a team of idiot individually killable enemies, you were wearing down/evading a single much nastier enemy as you complete other objectives?

Right now what I've got has a lot of Manhunt's framing and aesthetic, but the gameplay is closer to, e.g., stay out of the house.

1. My opinions on guns is the same in Condemned. They're nice occasionally to break up long combat sections and make the player feel powerful but they completely break the game when it starts relying on them because the game wasn't designed to be a shooter. If you have guns they should be scarce and you shouldn't be able to reload or horde ammo which incentivizes taking out armed enemies to maximize leftover ammo.

2. Again, I feel the proper answer is to mix and match. Like if Mr. X was a threat for longer than 1/4 of RE2 would've gotten tedious but having him pop up at the right time was a good break from zombie popping.

3. Echoing other thoughts, the grindhouse look is all about cheap film or poorly copied cassette. But the internet gave gross videos a shot in the arm and for me, mentally, the random drops in quality of a RealPlayer video of some Russian getting his neck chainsawed is deeply ingrained in my memory more than any trouble VCR tracking.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

double nine posted:

O

so what was it a tattoo of

Ehh gently caress it I'll expose myself to internet judgement. It was the donor glyph in color on my chest. I was thinking about getting the vampire glyph on the other side but am not quite ready to commit to TWO video game tattoos from an obscure thing like 10 people have played.

Content WARNING, partial pasty nerd chest: https://i.imgur.com/fuHNDJt.jpg

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Ehh gently caress it I'll expose myself to internet judgement. It was the donor glyph in color on my chest. I was thinking about getting the vampire glyph on the other side but am not quite ready to commit to TWO video game tattoos from an obscure thing like 10 people have played.

Hell yeah, my dude.

Also there's a Pathologic 2 thread now, I guess?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

My compliments to your tattoo artist, this is nice work. The paint splatter looks very authentic.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh wow that tatt is really good, love that painted aesthetic

Also yeah there is a set of 'difficulty' mods floating around the internet that tweak the amount of colour available for anyone wanting to replay The Void without too much fear of painting yourself into a corner ten hours in

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

My compliments to your tattoo artist, this is nice work. The paint splatter looks very authentic.
I'm super happy with it. She left it clean and symmetrical at first just in case, but when I went back for the touchup, I said splatter it up and it turned out great. After talking to a few artists who said stuff like the color wouldn't work, it'd need an outline, etc, I finally found this one who does a lot of awesome watercolor styles. This is her website, if you're in the Phoenix, AZ area and thinking about getting something I couldn't recommend her more: https://www.beautifuladdictions.net

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Already discovered something I deeply dislike about Lorelai: the absolutely absurd system requirements.

Like, gently caress, man, Fallout: New Vegas runs just fine on average settings on my laptop. An adventure game with tweened animation and 90s style 3d graphics shouldn't be making it lag that hard.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Old Boot posted:

Already discovered something I deeply dislike about Lorelai: the absolutely absurd system requirements.

Like, gently caress, man, Fallout: New Vegas runs just fine on average settings on my laptop. An adventure game with tweened animation and 90s style 3d graphics shouldn't be making it lag that hard.

It’s super unoptimised but you can drop the graphics quality and it affects absolutely nothing, as everything that matters is high res 2D. I played it on a 300 dollar, 8 year old laptop and, save for some lagging in the field and tunnel, completely playable 97% of the time.

The creator got overzealous with the effects, but those 2D assets looking fantastic. I’d really like a TCL remake with these graphics, but he’s closed the book on the entire series so, eh

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It’s super unoptimised but you can drop the graphics quality and it affects absolutely nothing, as everything that matters is high res 2D. I played it on a 300 dollar, 8 year old laptop and, save for some lagging in the field and tunnel, completely playable 97% of the time.

The creator got overzealous with the effects, but those 2D assets looking fantastic. I’d really like a TCL remake with these graphics, but he’s closed the book on the entire series so, eh

I did. I must not have dropped it enough. Had to drop the resolution in a big way, besides.

I'll give it another try tonight, though. 'Super unoptimised' is definitely an accurate way of describing it.

re: TCL, I wouldn't mind seeing it with more polished artwork overall. The weirdness of faces/etc gave it an odd kind of charm, though, so who knows.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crabtree posted:

So bad poo poo happened to me, time to do worse poo poo to anyone I think is responsible for it?

Partially that and partially how the Internet existed at the time. Manhunt was famous for its snuff film content and the use of VHS tapes as pickups, but Starkweather is established as posting the videos online as well. The period around 2001-2004 was right when the Internet had become ubiquitous in everyone's lives and the full implications of that were starting to be known. You had your edgy blogs with black backgrounds and red letters, rumors of snuff film websites, Postal 2, all sorts of poo poo like that. But since it was also before the Internet was totally ubiquitous and accessible literally everywhere you are, you still had holdovers of the 20th century like payphones, physical media, and text messages that had strict character limits if you even had a phone that could text.

You couldn't really do the exact same game today because so much of the world is tied to life in 2003. Distributing anything on physical media is quaint and your buyers may not even have anything that can play it, you'd need to confiscate every electronic device or otherwise find a way to keep the characters from Internet and phone access that could throw the plot off the rails, and the idea of snuff films hidden online is hardly shocking when Liveleak and 4chan exist and any random 12-year-old can find all the slow motion shotgun headshots he wants with a Google search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This is her website, if you're in the Phoenix, AZ area and thinking about getting something I couldn't recommend her more: https://www.beautifuladdictions.net
:v: Way wrong continent, I'm afraid, but thanks for the recommendation. Who knows, I might actually visit the States at some point.