Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I want to stress I'm playing Japanese King's Field 1 which is like more primitive than Ultima Underworld and runs worse. The sequel that we got first has like actual level design and textures aren't threatening to fly off and hit you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's PS1 launch titles for you

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/adampi/status/1283102198084308995

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Not 100% sure if I’d categorize The Void as a horror game but does anyone know how to get enough color to survive in The Void and make it last? My trees deplete pretty fast and my hearts use up color pretty quickly. I read once that you don’t want to fill multiple hearts with color since they all process color at the same time.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Spook Ware looks hekkin great.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Not 100% sure if I’d categorize The Void as a horror game but does anyone know how to get enough color to survive in The Void and make it last? My trees deplete pretty fast and my hearts use up color pretty quickly. I read once that you don’t want to fill multiple hearts with color since they all process color at the same time.
It's brutal isn't it? Been a long while since I played, but there are also some not so visible mechanics at work that will really make things harder on you as you go along.

The only way I completed the game at all was using cheats to give more color when I needed it, the forums still have those and some patches I believe: http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9044

You want to make sure you're not planting too much of one color in a place as that will make future yields way worse. You have to do a form of crop rotation on all your color planting. Also, one of the colors (I forget which but it's in the manual I believe) accelerates the rate of everything in the Void, so the more of it out there and in play makes things metabolize quicker.

You definitely want to keep just one Heart actively processing color when you're moving around in the void, unless you need to metabolize different colors quickly. You have a lot of Amber at first so that was my go to early on. If you put color in all your Hearts, any amount, moving around out of the chambers will cause them all to be processed.

It's my favorite game I'll probably never touch again.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I was never able to get very far in The Void without cheating either :(
It's incredibly loving punishing. It's also buggy and I'm not sure all the negative effects actually work correctly.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Pathologic 2 was a similar experience for me, day 4 or 5 was as far as I could get before I kept starving to death. And that was even before your water sources start getting way harder to find. Unless I get some cheats going or an Even Easier mode is added in, I don't see myself finishing it. Ice Pick is my favorite surreal world building game studio, but they also design these games to be almost unbearably punishing on purpose, as part of the experience, and I just can't do it.

Speaking of the Void though I did actually end up getting that second glyph tattooed, I think I posted the first a year or so ago: https://i.imgur.com/UFbI5Sx.jpg

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
One important tip is to fill up your trees wish as much color as they can possibly hold, because they will grow more in a multiplicative fashion. The less you give to start with, the less of a return you get out of that tree, and they only ever bloom once.

Unless you use a mod that makes them reusable! Which I personally recommend. Being wasteful with Color is its own punishment, so it's not as much of an advantage as it seems. Also, check if you have the bugged version of the game where the passage of time on the Void map is far faster than it should be. When I played, there was a mod to put it back to what it is supposed to be, which made the game far easier.

Your sister is in the upper right of the map.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

One important tip is to fill up your trees wish as much color as they can possibly hold, because they will grow more in a multiplicative fashion. The less you give to start with, the less of a return you get out of that tree, and they only ever bloom once.

Unless you use a mod that makes them reusable! Which I personally recommend. Being wasteful with Color is its own punishment, so it's not as much of an advantage as it seems. Also, check if you have the bugged version of the game where the passage of time on the Void map is far faster than it should be. When I played, there was a mod to put it back to what it is supposed to be, which made the game far easier.

Your sister is in the upper right of the map.

I’ve filled up my trees (one for each color) to their max and I’ve almost filled the 2nd heart of the first sister. What should I do once I unlock the other sisters? I would plant more trees but I only have three colors: gold, green, and blue.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I would look around for special abilities. You will get into some fights eventually and with the way color works, you want to be as efficient in its use as you can be. Some powers are more useful than others. Owl and Tumbleweed are useful self-targeting general attack glyphs. It's better than trying to paint targets with color directly. Owl and Tumbleweed can both be found in a number of locations, so I can't give any precise instructions on where to start looking, but once you have them, you want to use them in preference to direct attacks.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Neat concept! Feels like it had potential for some REALLY nasty spooks that it didn't reach at all and there were silly props throughout. But neat concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__EUlOmgZZU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Is there a good LP of The Void out there? It's not really a game I'd want to play (neither the time nor the inclination for that kind of punishment) but it seems like a really cool game to watch.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't think it really would be. There isn't enough going on to make for good watching, strictly speaking. The Void runs on its sense of weirdness and lostness and exploration. If you're not doing it yourself, the appeal is even less.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

The old school style of LPs with screenshots and text would probably be the best way to do this, otherwise it's going to be constant editing or hours of watching someone slowly move around all the environments and micro-manage resources.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

the one on the lp archive is good and pretty comprehensive

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Chad Jihad posted:

Neat concept! Feels like it had potential for some REALLY nasty spooks that it didn't reach at all and there were silly props throughout. But neat concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__EUlOmgZZU

You aint kidding this is such a great idea completely bungled.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

Is there a good LP of The Void out there? It's not really a game I'd want to play (neither the time nor the inclination for that kind of punishment) but it seems like a really cool game to watch.

https://lparchive.org/The-Void/

The one in the archive is great and very chill. The video links are dead, but the videos are archived at https://archive.org/details/LP_The_Void

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
anyone here checked out that asylum demo from the scratches people? it's probably very wishful thinking it will ever be available on console right? (my laptop is sad and ancient)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ulex minor posted:

anyone here checked out that asylum demo from the scratches people? it's probably very wishful thinking it will ever be available on console right? (my laptop is sad and ancient)

The demo shows promise but it's still kind of rough and the final section nosedives straight into Outlast naked-crazies-bashing-their-heads-against-glass mode. I don't know exactly where they're going because the story seems to be the protagonist, who is open about his history of trauma/mental illness, and their active desire to heal and reconcile with their source of trauma but the demo itself seriously turns into a worse Jacob's Ladder before ending. Like it's great that up front it dispels the idea that you're a bad dad or "no John, you are the demons" because the game is very clear that the protag is recovering, I think they wanted to set a potential mood and did it in the worse way possible (the demo's ending points out it's a video game in a meta sense suggesting it's placeholder and going to be 100% different in the final version so that's good).

With all that said: chance of coming to consoles, not 0% but probably less than 1%. That said the game is all pre-rendered like the original Scratches so you'll probably have no issues on your ancient laptop.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
i honestly will continue to go to bat for outlast in that i really do think the message isn't ooga booga mental illness = scary but that all the people there had been horribly abused

good to know it might run on this ancient thing though! i watched a let's play and obviously there was a lot of placeholder text etc. so it's hard to say what the final product will look like.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

the final section nosedives straight into Outlast naked-crazies-bashing-their-heads-against-glass mode.
I wish horror games got over that whole "dicks are scary" thing. Ever notice how it's never naked women howling for your blood? Makes me think the whole impetus for that is probably based on a vaguely homophobic mindset.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cardiovorax posted:

I wish horror games got over that whole "dicks are scary" thing. Ever notice how it's never naked women howling for your blood? Makes me think the whole impetus for that is probably based on a vaguely homophobic mindset.

Outlast 2 had the naked mud and sticks witch women or whatever that lived in the caves with the scaaary androgynous rapist character.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Cardiovorax posted:

how have you somehow managed to miss that female sexuality is used as a frightening thing over and over again in all kinds of media

outlast was very unusual in having a male protagonist be threatened by sexual violence from other men

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Outlast 2 had the naked mud and sticks witch women or whatever that lived in the caves with the scaaary androgynous rapist character.
Never played that after how much I disliked Outlast 1, but after looking at some videos, the way they move and behave makes them seem played as more "erotica" than "horrible and sexually threatening."

ulex minor posted:

how have you somehow managed to miss that female sexuality is used as a frightening thing over and over again in all kinds of media
Feel free to give examples of female nudity being used as a frightening element in a horror game, because I honestly do not think I have ever seen that done before, at least not the way Outlast used male nudity. I'll be happy to take that back if it's really more common than I thought, because as a gay man that really bothered me. When women are naked, it's sexy. When men get naked, it's disgusting and implies rape.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 16, 2020

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Cardiovorax posted:

Never played that after how much I disliked Outlast 1, but after looking at some videos, the way they move and behave makes them seem played as more "erotica" than "horrible and sexually threatening."

Feel free to give examples of female nudity being used as a frightening element in a horror game, because I honestly do not think I have ever seen that done before, at least not the way Outlast used male nudity. I'll be happy to take that back if it's really more common than I thought, because as a gay man that really bothered me. When women are naked, it's sexy. When men get naked, it's disgusting and implies rape.

i'm a gay man too, i had a totally different reaction to outlast because i enjoyed it being approached, that kind of line between horror and attraction you know? i can understand why you would have a different opinion on it though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ulex minor posted:

i'm a gay man too, i had a totally different reaction to outlast because i enjoyed it being approached, that kind of line between horror and attraction you know? i can understand why you would have a different opinion on it though.
I can see where you're coming from, although I think that we-the-audience weren't actually supposed to see any kind of attraction in it. If we actually had been, though, then I would agree that this has a lot of the same elements as vampire horror, which is all about aggressive sexuality and the self-destructive mental duality of wanting-not wanting it. That would be a lot more palatable.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Cardiovorax posted:

I can see where you're coming from, although I think that we-the-audience weren't actually supposed to see any kind of attraction in it. If we actually had been, though, then I would agree that this has a lot of the same elements as vampire horror, which is all about aggressive sexuality and the self-destructive mental duality of wanting-not wanting it. That would be a lot more palatable.

oh yes! i was going to bring up the whole 'vampire horror' thing - in that it's funny when you watch this stuff, when the biting is heterosexual the victim moans as if it's pleasurable, same when it involves two ladies, but when a man bites another man they howl in anguish.

you might be right that we weren't supposed to see any attraction in it. maybe i'm giving them too much credit. but i really did enjoy playing a game that dealt with, as far as i felt it, homosocial aspects.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

What about the titty demons from Agony

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ulex minor posted:

when the biting is heterosexual the victim moans as if it's pleasurable, same when it involves two ladies, but when a man bites another man they howl in anguish.
Yes, it's pretty much the same kind of situation, isn't it? Not such a big deal if you look at every example of it in isolation, but when you look at it as a trend of how gay men get represented in fiction, it suddenly becomes something altogether more unpleasant.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Man, I've been trying to play Kuon with friends by streaming it, and I'm so unhappy that this is happening during this social distancing period. I can tell this is a game we'd get really into, especially given how similar in style it is to one of our favourites, the Fatal Frame series, but the amount of technical poo poo getting in the way of our enjoyment is so frustrating (video lag, audio clipping in and out, sometimes discord just disconnects people from voice chat for some reason). Plus I can tell it's harder for people to stay focused when watching a stream of this at home, rather than sitting around the tv as a group in a dark room.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This might be a stretch, but would anyone happen to have Man of Medan for PS4 and want to play through shared story? The bastards tied a drat trophy to that mode for reasons

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Morpheus posted:

What about the titty demons from Agony

Agony is such loving garbage

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

oldpainless posted:

Agony is such loving garbage

What does this have to do with what he was pointing out? lol

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sigher posted:

What does this have to do with what he was pointing out? lol

It’s just not a good game lmao

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe93F5cD_Gs

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Len posted:

This might be a stretch, but would anyone happen to have Man of Medan for PS4 and want to play through shared story? The bastards tied a drat trophy to that mode for reasons

I'd probably be up for doing that with you, maybe you can help me find some of those pictures that are in the shared story/curators mode. Do you have discord?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ineffiable posted:

I'd probably be up for doing that with you, maybe you can help me find some of those pictures that are in the shared story/curators mode. Do you have discord?

Yeah, EvilBillMurray#6747

I will absolutely be up for checking off boxes

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
So, The Final Station is kind of alright!
Controls like crap, but after some getting used to, I can now finish levels more or less painlessly. The post-apocalyptic setting is intriguing, and they slowly reveal more and more weird details to keep things interesting. I like that every station you visit has a unique look and has its own mini story. And there seems to be a million of them, which is daunting, because gameplay is a chore, but I'm on board for more storytelling!
Shame that you basically cannot follow the conversations that occur while the train is running, because you're too busy spinning plates, I bet I'm missing some curious details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

woodenchicken posted:

And there seems to be a million of them, which is daunting, because gameplay is a chore, but I'm on board for more storytelling!

There's not that many, the game is like 4 hours long.