Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The framerate issue for Fatal Frame 5 has been fixed on PC so its really just mouse & keyboard issues, which is said to be fixed in a November patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

i did end up picking it up regardless and i appreciate being able to spend all of my points immediately on cosmetics over anything gameplay related

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

More like Fatal Framerate

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Project Zero FPS

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What titles are Devotion-good but don't fizzle out with 'it was all a stupid kid's dream' ending?

Apparently that happened with The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, so now you don't have to play it.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 30, 2021

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What titles are Devotion-good but don't fizzle out with 'it was all a stupid kid's dream' ending?

Oh boy, that's a fundamental misunderstanding of that ending.

Unless you mean you want something that ends like, say RE8, with a traditional horror game ending, because most games like you're describing are probably going to have an ending as symbolic as the entire rest of the game was.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 29, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Played the Maiden of Dark Water demo on my WiiU, it's not bad but it's definitely all I expected out of it. Probably will get the game on sale or on ebay when it comes around next year.

I knew what I was in for when it opened up and the intro scene was full of ghosts in open robes that were just stacked. I'm talking big old badonkadonkers, haunted mommy milkers, cantaloupes the sizes of your head.

I'm going to commit some sort of -cide over this interpretation of that ending.

It wasn't a kid's dream. It was the dad coming back to reality to understand that on the advice of this scam artist he murdered his little girl. The girl running around at the very end is him realizing that locking her in the bathroom for weeks killed her.

I mean christ what do you think the entire spirit journey part was about?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sorry, I meant to say titles that are Devotion-good AND don't have a Dream Ending. I was praising Devotion there and making GBS threads on something else entirely.

Case in point, The Sexy Brutale really soured me when it turned out there is no loop, you're not a priest, and this somehow the journey of a guy forgiving himself for killing a shitload of people in an insurance scam. The whole thing felt like a waste of time.

On the other hand something like The Swapper ends on a perfect finish given its grim theme.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 29, 2021

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Anybody play Lobotomy Corporation

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anybody play Lobotomy Corporation

There is a thread for it here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930155

It's not bad. I can see how it could be spooky, but despite how much I love SCP I can't really get into it. Maybe because it's too anime. But it is popular.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly the biggest issue with the game is this:

These are the default amounts of healing items every chapter starts you with, you're never in any danger of dying unless you deliberately limit yourself to how many you can use and you have to beat the game to unlock any difficulties above Normal.
Welp there goes my anticipation.
Just what I needed in my pants-shittingly scary series, a mandatory Easy mode.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CuddleCryptid posted:

There is a thread for it here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3930155

It's not bad. I can see how it could be spooky, but despite how much I love SCP I can't really get into it. Maybe because it's too anime. But it is popular.

I had the same thing, its too anime for me, art style wise, but once you get past that it's pretty fun.

Also the cutesy anime style actually has a story reason, too.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Lobotomy Corporation is a pretty great story fed to you via a management simulator. The horror is also more a slow realization type that creeps up on you as you uncover more and more. There's like, technically one or two jump scares? And you honestly might not even see them unless you plan on doing the 100% finish. And that you can honestly just look up the ending for online instead.

Highly recommended unless you really can't stand management simulator type games, otherwise just check out the LP that just got posted to the LP archive.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

woodenchicken posted:

Welp there goes my anticipation.
Just what I needed in my pants-shittingly scary series, a mandatory Easy mode.

Eh, 5 has a bit more combat compared to the other games to balance it a little but Fatal Frame has never really been a hard series outside of the exclusive extra-hard difficulty modes in the original Xbox ports of Fatal Frame 1 and 2.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

Lobotomy Corporation is a pretty great story fed to you via a management simulator. The horror is also more a slow realization type that creeps up on you as you uncover more and more. There's like, technically one or two jump scares? And you honestly might not even see them unless you plan on doing the 100% finish. And that you can honestly just look up the ending for online instead.

Highly recommended unless you really can't stand management simulator type games, otherwise just check out the LP that just got posted to the LP archive.

Is the story more than just SCP: Anime? Ie, "we have world ending monsters that we keep contained for the sake of power, resources, or just because there's a 'protect' in our name, we could stop the inevitable apocalypse by destroying these monsters but think of the possibilities"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is the story more than just SCP: Anime? Ie, "we have world ending monsters that we keep contained for the sake of power, resources, or just because there's a 'protect' in our name, we could stop the inevitable apocalypse by destroying these monsters but think of the possibilities"

Absolutely, the story goes in places you would not really expect from just 'SCP platespinning game'.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's been answered already but yes. In fact, the Abnormalities themselves are not the story, they're more just the backdrop. Each Abno does get a small story blurb and some of them are pretty drat good, but they aren't the actual focus of the story. I also don't blame you at all for thinking that the story would be about them in the first place, it's a pretty easy read to make.

Like genuinely if you aren't interested in actually playing the game (management sims aren't for everyone), def read the LP. The story goes places.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

It's been answered already but yes. In fact, the Abnormalities themselves are not the story, they're more just the backdrop. Each Abno does get a small story blurb and some of them are pretty drat good, but they aren't the actual focus of the story. I also don't blame you at all for thinking that the story would be about them in the first place, it's a pretty easy read to make.

Like genuinely if you aren't interested in actually playing the game (management sims aren't for everyone), def read the LP. The story goes places.

Sweet, I'll probably read the LP. Partially because it just finished and I wasn't super into the gameplay despite loving management games, partially because a SSLP in YOOL 2021 is a treasure

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

After you read the LP, remember to take a look at Library of Ruinia. It's a completely different style of game so if the story and setting grab you at all there's a more approachable place to jump in for the follow-up.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly the biggest issue with the game is this:

These are the default amounts of healing items every chapter starts you with, you're never in any danger of dying unless you deliberately limit yourself to how many you can use and you have to beat the game to unlock any difficulties above Normal.

Honestly I'm fine with it, because it acts as a bonus for good play, since unused items count for the points you get at the end of each chapter.

Edit: seems the frame rate patch messed something up, cutscenes desync and objectives text scrolls unreadably fast.
Still a better port than I expected from KT.

Hel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 29, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Evil Kit posted:

Some of the Abnormalities are also based on some pretty deep culturally Korean urban legends and myths too which makes them delightfully alien if it's stuff you haven't been exposed to. I particularly like the early one that's a haunted drink vending machine and if your agents are unlucky enough to choose and order the wrong flavor of soda from it, they fall unconscious and get dragged away by half-man, half-shrimp monstrosities.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Horror Games Megathread:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fatal Framerate

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

fizzle out with 'it was all a stupid kid's dream' ending?

Apparently that happened with...

DON'T loving DO THIS!!!!

If you didn't like it or how it ended, fine, but don't be an rear end and ruin it for someone else who spent their money and hasn't gotten to the end and wants the experience regardless of what YOU thought of it. You don't get to make that choice for anyone else.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Calm down.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Edited in spoiler tags.

Don't spoil games just because you didn't like them. You're not sparing anyone anything, you're just pissing people off.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
It's time for my yearly Halloween re-play of Kuon. :dance:

CuddleCryptid posted:

I knew what I was in for when it opened up and the intro scene was full of ghosts in open robes that were just stacked. I'm talking big old badonkadonkers, haunted mommy milkers, cantaloupes the sizes of your head.

:yeah:
See, I remember 1-3 being pretty pervy towards the main characters, but I don't remember much fanservice when it came to the ghosts in those games. Are there even any male ghosts in Dark Water? There were plenty in the other games.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Read After Burning posted:

It's time for my yearly Halloween re-play of Kuon. :dance:

:yeah:
See, I remember 1-3 being pretty pervy towards the main characters, but I don't remember much fanservice when it came to the ghosts in those games. Are there even any male ghosts in Dark Water? There were plenty in the other games.

Yeah there are lots of male ghosts.

From what I've heard the games started getting real pervy with the move to the Wii with four and especially the remake of two.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first ghost in the first real chapter of Dark Water is male.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

What has really struck me about FF:MOBW is that it seems unnecessary that this photo taking ghost game has jiggle physics.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's funny, I don't remember them being that noticeable on the WiiU but I dunno if it's my faulty memory or higher frame rate having an effect lol

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The demo of Mortuary Assistant was a lot of fun, looking forward to the full game. The embalming minigame was gross.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm up to the third playable character in Fatal Frame 5 and am I missing something about her gimmick or is it just bad? The Slow Motion shots don't seem to do as much damage as the special lenses, but do use the same energy bar. Also all her regular shots are now on a delay because of the "hold for slow-mo" thing, so landing fatal frames is a huge pain in the rear end all of a sudden.

Am I doing something wrong?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I must say I’m digging Fatal Frame 5 a lot more this time around on PS5 since it looks and runs way smooth and isn’t confined to the Wii U hardware and controls.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Crowetron posted:

I'm up to the third playable character in Fatal Frame 5 and am I missing something about her gimmick or is it just bad? The Slow Motion shots don't seem to do as much damage as the special lenses, but do use the same energy bar. Also all her regular shots are now on a delay because of the "hold for slow-mo" thing, so landing fatal frames is a huge pain in the rear end all of a sudden.

Am I doing something wrong?

I never noticed any delay because of the slow motion shots, but it's are somewhat useful if you can't get all the targets into the viewfinder just by tilting it. Like if enemies keep on different sides of the room. But mostly I just played her like the others, so I can't really say it's a big enough difference, though at least she's better than the guy because of her access to lenses.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hel posted:

I never noticed any delay because of the slow motion shots, but it's are somewhat useful if you can't get all the targets into the viewfinder just by tilting it. Like if enemies keep on different sides of the room. But mostly I just played her like the others, so I can't really say it's a big enough difference, though at least she's better than the guy because of her access to lenses.

I can't even imagine getting two ghosts on opposite sides of me into a slow-mo shot. The spirit meter drains almost instantly.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Crowetron posted:

I can't even imagine getting two ghosts on opposite sides of me into a slow-mo shot. The spirit meter drains almost instantly.

Not in front and behind, but on the left and right of some of the big halls or caves. Also remember that holding down L3 speeds up the camera movement (and tilting) significantly while in first person mode, so you probably could catch them on opposite sides, though I never tried it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hel posted:

Not in front and behind, but on the left and right of some of the big halls or caves. Also remember that holding down L3 speeds up the camera movement (and tilting) significantly while in first person mode, so you probably could catch them on opposite sides, though I never tried it.

Oh, I see. That could probably have helped against the trio of kids. There's definitely a delay on Miu's shots, though. The other two fire as soon as I press the trigger, but Miu's camera fires on release. I guess I'll just burn some type 7 film at the start of each of her levels to get used to the change.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Crowetron posted:

Oh, I see. That could probably have helped against the trio of kids. There's definitely a delay on Miu's shots, though. The other two fire as soon as I press the trigger, but Miu's camera fires on release. I guess I'll just burn some type 7 film at the start of each of her levels to get used to the change.

That's probably why I never noticed the delay, since I hit the edge of the trigger and let my finger slide of it rather than pressing and releasing because that hurts my joints.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I played through Happy Game because I love Amanita, and it was okay. It's pretty much exactly what it looks like - just that kind of Hot Topicky creepypasta; it moved somewhat beyond that into more folk horror stuff in the third chapter but then it ends pretty abruptly. Feels like there was a part missing or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
can some indie company just steal resident evil outbreak's gameplay? please