Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

He'll yeah another House of Ashes liker

It always makes me happy to see this. While I don't think any of the Dark Pictures games were as good as Until Dawn or The Quarry, House of Ashes was easily the best of the bunch. I genuinely loved the twist on the creatures in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i vaguely remembered having been given one of the Dark Pictures games through a giveaway on Bamco's website, but it turns out it was Man of Medan. which i already played and found Extremely Boring and Bad.

i will keep a look out for rock-bottom sales on House of Ashes though, sounds like it could be a fun little romp!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

“Fun little romp” is how I would generously describe maybe three out of the four dark pictures games. I’m generally onboard with their whole horror anthology thing, and have enjoyed them all to varying degrees. House of Ashes is probably the most solid offering. I would say all of them have elements of letdown or otherwise not holding up to scrutiny but as little “lite” versions of their big deal titles you could do worse.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

man nurse posted:

“Fun little romp” is how I would generously describe maybe three out of the four dark pictures games. I’m generally onboard with their whole horror anthology thing, and have enjoyed them all to varying degrees. House of Ashes is probably the most solid offering. I would say all of them have elements of letdown or otherwise not holding up to scrutiny but as little “lite” versions of their big deal titles you could do worse.

Yeah I think that's the way to look at them, something cheaper and quicker they're putting out inbetween big games like Until Dawn and The Quarry.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fil5000 posted:

I don't think you could even call anything in House of Ashes a twist really, there's nothing that like... recontextualises the rest of the story that's happened up to that point or anything, it's a pretty straight reveal.

I'm not sure I would call Man if Medan a twist either because if you're at all genre savvy they telegraph what's happening right in the beginning

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Saw the Fatal Frame movie, it's on YouTube, pretty cool lesbian gothic horror story about horny teenage Catholic lesbians. Around halfway it loses steam tho but it's worth a watch

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

Saw the Fatal Frame movie, it's on YouTube, pretty cool lesbian gothic horror story about horny teenage Catholic lesbians. Around halfway it loses steam tho but it's worth a watch

It was a pretty good movie, but I would have absolutely never thought of Fatal Frame had it not been in the title.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Went through the Dark Seed games again. I think that firstly 2 is pretty bad compared to 1 (though neither are really worthy of the SCARIEST GAMES EVER titles) and secondly, it’s one of the few stories where “all in your head” is a satisfying conclusion. In 2, he’s struggling with the trauma of 1 and continuing nightmares he’s had since before the series began and is starting to lose it, and papers the… weirder but also more mundane Dark World over things to try and justify his trauma. It’s okay, Mike thinks, it’s all worth it, because I can use that experience from then to save the town / bring Rita’s killer to Justice / be the hero again. It’s also shown in how he starts to view Rita herself, going from horror and pain that she’s been killed into eventually thinking she deserved what she got, as he needs the personal excuse less to be ‘the hero’ anymore. I’m not doing a great job in explaining this, but I think there’s legitimately enough implication that he’s a completely unreliable narrator that you can put forward the ‘in his head’ theory without sounding like you’re just trying to write a Rugrats creepypasta.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Oh, the new alone in the dark comes out real soon

pedrovay2003 posted:

It was a pretty good movie, but I would have absolutely never thought of Fatal Frame had it not been in the title.

The genre and themes fit, the setting and plot happenings not so much yeah

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 20, 2024

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The word on AITD is positive so far

:getin:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ah, the ol' "delay it long enough that I forget it exists until I realize it's coming out tomorrow" strategy, well played

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Went through the Dark Seed games again. I think that firstly 2 is pretty bad compared to 1 (though neither are really worthy of the SCARIEST GAMES EVER titles) and secondly, it’s one of the few stories where “all in your head” is a satisfying conclusion. In 2, he’s struggling with the trauma of 1 and continuing nightmares he’s had since before the series began and is starting to lose it, and papers the… weirder but also more mundane Dark World over things to try and justify his trauma. It’s okay, Mike thinks, it’s all worth it, because I can use that experience from then to save the town / bring Rita’s killer to Justice / be the hero again. It’s also shown in how he starts to view Rita herself, going from horror and pain that she’s been killed into eventually thinking she deserved what she got, as he needs the personal excuse less to be ‘the hero’ anymore. I’m not doing a great job in explaining this, but I think there’s legitimately enough implication that he’s a completely unreliable narrator that you can put forward the ‘in his head’ theory without sounding like you’re just trying to write a Rugrats creepypasta.

Judging from the classic retsupurae of dark seed 2 (that I have rewatched at least a dozen times), I am absolutely 100% on board with the "Mike is a loving weirdo nut" interpretation

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

That sounds more positive than I've seen so far :(

https://opencritic.com/game/16050/alone-in-the-dark-2024-

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Scoring better than any AitD game since 90's :v:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Sakurazuka posted:

Scoring better than any AitD game since 90's :v:

"Unsettling and narratively ambitious, this is the best Alone in the Dark game since 1992."
-PC Gamer
score: 76 / 100

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Everyone should know by now that reviews, and review scores, are bad and useless. They're good for pointing out if a game has some critical flaws, is half-finished, or made by chuds or something, but that's pretty much it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Everyone should know by now that reviews, and review scores, are bad and useless. They're good for pointing out if a game has some critical flaws, is half-finished, or made by chuds or something, but that's pretty much it.

Yeah setting aside review score inflation over the years and some outlets having incentive to not score any given game badly, humans are just dogshit at scoring things in a granular way with any kind of meaning. Anything more than a 5/10 may as well be a 10/10 for all the actual meaning it carries.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
big fan of Eurogamer making a big deal of bringing back review scores (they just did recommended/not recommended/essential for a bit) and then proceeding to rate like every game a 4/5

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well apart from the new AitD lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

it sounds extremely mid

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Played new AitD for a bit yesterday, definitely seems to be channeling to Resi remake style (combat v similar to Remakes 2 & 3) and it even copies the map system telling you if there's stuff still to do in the room, with the same colour codes lol seems an okay mid-budget survival horror game so far.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Its janky at times but it captures the vibe of the game I was obsessed with when I was 8 better than anything else with the title. Definitely took notes from the REmakes. Will probably be better than Bloober Hill. I’m feeling a strong 7, maybe buy on sale if you’re not a horror die hard/AITD nostalgia sucker.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if it's a generic game with gameplay similar to re2make hell i'm sold. unless it's like re3make.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
finished dead space 2023 again.

i liked it but my god after playing RE2make and RE4make it was really funny to barely have to worry about ammo ever. the ripper in particular gives you so much ammo given how efficient it can be. i still have no idea if i'd recommend this or the remake to someone playing the series for the first time because it's still so similar that you can go with "go with the better looking/higher QOLed one" or "if it's so similar you may as well play the original".

i don't know what they're gonna do with DS2 which they obviously are teasing. the thing with Dead Space 2 is that it was an insanely high budget*, well-produced game and living up to those standards these days is going to be a big ask with a genre like horror.

*iirc it was a classic publisher case of "if we double the first game's budget, we will get double the return" which did not happen, which is part of why Dead Space 3 was such a disaster

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

"Oh no! Not the Hall of Death again! The only way out of here is death!" is a quote I probably use too much but you'd be surprised how useful it is.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
My favorite thing about the Hall of Death is that the name is not hyperbole in or out of universe and you can literally only escape it through death. Thank goodness for 1ups in the Dark World.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Enemabag Jones posted:

"Oh no! Not the Hall of Death again! The only way out of here is death!" is a quote I probably use too much but you'd be surprised how useful it is.

Hey, how's it hangin' Paul???

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I only know Darkseed 2 from the Slowbeef & Diabeetus riff, but should probably try playing it all the way through some time, there's a plug 'n play version of it up on the Collection Chamber.

I've always felt there's a lot to that game that had to be dramatically cut back, to the point the game became nonsensical. Mike talks about so much Dark World stuff that never happened in the first game or isn't evident in what we see in the second one, that I assumed the game was written from the idea that HR Giger would be supplying custom artwork, until they got to production, and had to assemble backgrounds and characters from a limited selection of Giger's existing portfolio.

I also always love how the most dramatic sound effects are clearly just placeholders, ie a guy whistling for the Keeper of the Dead zoning in, and, of course, the sound effect for the game's most important moment.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Pity about the release timing, it sounds like what I wanted it to be and I hope it does well, but I imagine I'm not the only one waiting for a sale.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I dunno if it's that positive. It's a lot of "yeah it's okay".

Critics are going mild for Alone in the Dark!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
AA Gaming Is Back

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
man, i bet this would sell better at 40 bucks, it looks good, even if a bit too much like a evil within 2 lite

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

man, i bet this would sell better at 40 bucks, it looks good, even if a bit too much like a evil within 2 lite

Oh wow, I never even thought to check the price, I just assumed it was a smaller release that wasn't aiming for the standard price point. Oh well, I don't mind waiting for a sale, this was always going to be a "wait and see" for me since I have no vested invest in the franchise or dev team.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I wish COVID hadn't killed our Family Videos here, it would be the perfect rental game....

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Your rental place was hanging on past the mid 2000s?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

a lot of smaller outlets managed to hang on due to a combination of specialty services (recommendations, rare releases, etc.), nostalgia, and renewed interest in analog tech, but covid dealt a killing blow to most of them. one of the last rental places in toronto started the process of shuttering its doors just last week

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I saw an existing Family Video while on a work trip a few years back, I'd had no idea they were even still around in the previous decade.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I'm not doubting. I'm just envious.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

yeah dude there were droves of people still renting movies. I rented RE3make and RE2 for four bucks each, it was the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I use Gamefly. Getting AITD and Dragon's Dogma 2 on Saturday so its worth the $25 or so bucks