Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i think MyHouse.wad had the right idea as far as liminal games go: you entwine the labyrinth with a mystery so that solving one requires you to simultaneously solve the other. what makes liminal spaces scary is the sense of being hopelessly lost and isolated in a physics-defying world that's both alien and familiar, and that doesn't fit into linear "run away from the jumpscare" experiences well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just figured Dead Island 2 has a lot of pools because it takes place in Los Angeles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The guy who does the backrooms stuff is super talented but even those ultimately devolve into "run away from the big scary monster," which I sorta get because it's hard to cram creeping existential dread into a 20-minute video.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Not strictly speaking a horror game, but the PC port of Dino Crisis 2 finally got a Classic Rebirth mod that fixes the port the same way the other Classic Rebirth mods fix the PC ports of the original Resident Evils 1-3 and Dino Crisis 1.

https://classicrebirth.com/index.php/dino-crisis-2-classic-rebirth/

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Worth noting that if you like CYOAs and werewolves, “Book of Hungry Names” slaps hard

Going to have to go ahead and repost because this game goes harder than any horror game I’ve played in the last few years. In large part because it can easily describe a lot of things that would otherwise rely on heavy and expensive rendering / foley. It’s got occult weirdness, monsters, body horror, psychedelic mindfucks, pick your poison.

https://www.choiceofgames.com/werewolf-the-apocalypse/book-of-hungry-names/

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MockingQuantum posted:

ngl I would love more games that look like basic unassuming games like pool (billiards) or various simulators but are secretly horror games, but that's the sort of thing that I'm sure would get spoiled immediately these days and kind of ruin the experience. I just have nostalgia from an early internet era where there were all kinds of urban legends of "haunted" video games or "hacked" cartridges and would love a game that simulates that experience in a cool way but I have no idea how you pull that off in an age where horror games are probably mostly marketed through YT & Twitch, much less the difficulty of marketing a game like that in the first place. I'm not sure how you'd even target the intended audience with a secret horror game, lol

You should check out Greener Grass Awaits. It's a neat little first-person golfing game with a liminal, unsettling vibe. Lasts about an hour or so, given how good you are at golfing.

Edit: don't read the comments

Double Edit: If you just want to watch someone play it, here's a good LP without any of that annoying commentary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLEwoqzajQk

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 29, 2024

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Selenephos posted:

Not strictly speaking a horror game, but the PC port of Dino Crisis 2 finally got a Classic Rebirth mod that fixes the port the same way the other Classic Rebirth mods fix the PC ports of the original Resident Evils 1-3 and Dino Crisis 1.

Yessssss

Broken Pieces is interesting but heinous looking.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Selenephos posted:

Hell yes, I've been waiting for this.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
People are scared of pools because they grew up watching that one fuckin episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark with the pool monster!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

ngl I would love more games that look like basic unassuming games like pool (billiards) or various simulators but are secretly horror games, but that's the sort of thing that I'm sure would get spoiled immediately these days and kind of ruin the experience. I just have nostalgia from an early internet era where there were all kinds of urban legends of "haunted" video games or "hacked" cartridges and would love a game that simulates that experience in a cool way but I have no idea how you pull that off in an age where horror games are probably mostly marketed through YT & Twitch, much less the difficulty of marketing a game like that in the first place. I'm not sure how you'd even target the intended audience with a secret horror game, lol

have you played Inscryption?

edit* or really, anything by Daniel Mullins

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

what is with all the pool-related horror games? is pool core an actual thing?

after the Backrooms started people made new locations with the same concept, one of which was an infinite pool/bath/shower labyrinth

that’s it, it’s just a cool locale for infinite spaces of dread

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pools are also part of that ubiquitous 80s/90s suburban americana that a lot of the backrooms rests on. you watch something like poolrooms exploration and get a weird twinge in the back of your brain because, even though they're clearly alien environments, they hold just enough of the common shapes and textures of an actual place you likely visited as a child to resemble a memory, and that eerie sense of "i've been here before" lends the whole thing a lot of dread. it's like that phenomenon where you can mix up every letter in a word save the first and the last and people will be able to figure out what you meant to say

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

That is true, with how huge pools became as an icon of well-to-do and suburban necessity in those decades. If I had one wish for a game, it'd be a more in-depth survival game set in the suburban style areas, which always seem some of the most fun in the bigger Backroom games. Blending in, moving through sections with their own bizarre rules, finding a place to sleep at night without being discovered, trying to find where the streets finally end and allow escape.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“A pool I can explore?!” Actually appeals to me in a real life kind of way. It having monsters in it and/or me not being able to find my way out less so. I’ve been to water parks that had fake cave things you could walk through, but obviously you can’t go very maze like with those for safety reasons.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I suppose unattended swimming pools can be creepy in the sense that they're big, spacious, echo-y places which normally are full of people but now you're visiting them in a different context. Like being a kid and visiting your elementary school after hours. And the thought that if you get a cramp or something there's no one there to help you.

But honestly POOLS looks more relaxing than scary.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

For me it triggers the same kind of unease as seeing a teratoma, like it's built of parts of a real thing but without any meaning or coherence. It's like a building-as-a-tumor

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I always figured it's more about the childish fear of "this place is big and strangely configured enough that I could lose sight of my parents and get lost"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the world is a swimming pool, the psyche a foot long sub you ate before jumping in

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

oh I get to plug thecatamites' work yet again

https://twitter.com/FreeGamePlanet/status/1346506223668105217

The last game in the series released a couple months ago, by the way. For the 2 fans out there

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i legit didn't know the creator of the ...of the killer series was the same genius that brought the world space funeral until a few months ago. it's a small world

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Vermain posted:

i legit didn't know the creator of the ...of the killer series was the same genius that brought the world space funeral until a few months ago. it's a small world

i didnt know until last post. space funeral heavily influenced my taste in art & music as a wee queer. been meaning to give ...of the killer a shot anyway, looks like this is my sign

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

What are the latest horror games with bomb rear end graphics/art design? I finished AitD and as a kid who was obsessed with the OG and replayed it a fuckton to uncover all the lore with no guide on hand I felt like it was a really great homage to the original game. Combat was very mediocre but the atmosphere, story, and music was consistently high quality. I also liked the visual design A LOT. You can tell the art team had a good grasp on color theory and how to manipulate lighting to set the mood, and of course, the audio design was just top notch.

Speaking of, what are some other horror games with great sound design? Besides obvious stuff like SH.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Speaking of, what are some other horror games with great sound design? Besides obvious stuff like SH.

Withering Rooms has some really good sound design IMO.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

What are the latest horror games with bomb rear end graphics/art design? I finished AitD and as a kid who was obsessed with the OG and replayed it a fuckton to uncover all the lore with no guide on hand I felt like it was a really great homage to the original game. Combat was very mediocre but the atmosphere, story, and music was consistently high quality. I also liked the visual design A LOT. You can tell the art team had a good grasp on color theory and how to manipulate lighting to set the mood, and of course, the audio design was just top notch.

No idea how good it actually is, but Bye Sweet Carole has a fantastic Disney aesthetic, coming out sometime this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuM4LqSR_5A

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Any opinions on Decarnation? It's intriguing but the reviews I read seem mixed on how much they liked the minigames or story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

MockingQuantum posted:

Any opinions on Decarnation? It's intriguing but the reviews I read seem mixed on how much they liked the minigames or story.

It's sort of a strange game, but in the end I enjoyed it and think that if you like horror games that it is worth playing. I don't think it was particularly long. I also didn't recall anything annoying or frustrating about it with mini games or story. It definitely didn't stick with me like an all timer or anything, but it was different and unique in interesting ways.