Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

The_Doctor posted:

I remember getting stuck right at the start of the first Alone in the Dark. Carnby starts in the attic, but I couldn’t get by either of the gargoyles guarding the stairs,’so that was as far as I ever got.

I got stuck there as a kid til a friend explained it to me- take the mirrors in the locked dresser draw in the adjacent bedroom (the key's in the vase by the bed, which you'll need to throw to break) and place them on the statues by the nightgaunts.

There's actually a clue in the room with the cavalry sabre, but it's easy to not realize it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The itch.io bundle for reproductive rights has some good indie horror stuff, including Bloodwash, Lakeview Valley, Lost in Vivo, Pigsaw, The Glass Staircase, Night of the Consumers, Sucker for Love, Spookware, and some stuff from the Dread X Collections, including all of Torple Dook's games, Phili Hesselback's Axis Mundi, and corpsepile's Submission (the last two of which are absolute standouts of the Collections). Great bundle if the indie stuff is your jam.

(It's also got Catlateral Damage, if you just want to be a kitty knocking stuff off of shelves for a bit.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

I know the puppet combo knockoff devs 616 Games put out a collection of trashy games made up of various stolen assets, meme sounds, and overall just bad presentation and one of their games was just the columbine massacre.

Went and looked and they have an entire four-game "Poop Killer" series, including an origins prequel. Tantalizing!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Guy Davis did monster design? I'm already sold despite my general skepticism.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm doubtful that the devs are interested in the things that I love about AitD but at least it'll have cool monsters and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Derceto.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

In the first one you're either a scumbag PI who came to the mansion as sort of an advance scout for a broker who's pretty clearly going to loot the place, or you're the beloved niece of the recently-suicided owner looking for answers, and you wind up trapped by the thing that drove him to it.

The later games star a guy who is theoretically the first one but he's increasingly kind of theoretically a badass monster-fighter in the most boring possible ways.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Hel posted:

Seriously the Resident Evil Revelations is some of the best survival horror ever, and I wish they made more in that spirit.

Also one of the best 3DS games.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

dogstile posted:

Hot take for me: it's fine that characters have personal demons because I legitimately don't know anyone IRL who's not got something they're struggling with, even if they outwardly present fine.

The character in the mortuary assistant gets bonus points for being very on point with the dialogue.

"gently caress this I'm calling the police" got a hearty chuckle from me

Video games needed the equivalent of Laurence Fishburne saying "We're leaving." in Event Horizon

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Shadow Complex, a metroid-like initially released on the 360, is about investigating why a woman you met in a bar the night before suddenly vanishing into a large secret facility. First thing you do is drop into a large entranceway, and then have to find a way out. Along the way to find evidence of government plots and her role in them, whole big thing.

During the course of the game you get access to a gun that can create goo platforms (basically the gloo gun from prey) I don't remember if you need to wait for NG+ to do it or not, but you can platform your way out of the pit you fell into.

The protagonist then just gets into the car they drove here with and shrugs. "Plenty of fish in the sea," he says, before driving off.

This is up there with the dog/ufo endings.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Disposable Scud posted:

I think these ripoffs are the only ones that don't annoy me. Soulslike rips bring me no satisfaction at all. I'd rather play any of the old shooters over the boomer shooters being released. This genre though? I smile whenever I see the RE1 mansion with the numbers filed off. While going through Fobia I decided to start up Them And Us and this poo poo straight up comes across as a fanmade REmake mod, with RE0's item dropping implemented.

At least try Dusk sometime, as it's very very good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

Umbrella must have a really good student loan coverage benefit.

In theory, yes, but actually collecting on it is, well, murder.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Are you just now finding out that the game development industry is massively abusive and takes advantage of people's desire to make games to get away with treating people like poo poo? This has been common knowledge for ages.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

After Bloodwash I'm of the opinion that Jordan King can have as much of my money as he wants. Super looking forward to this!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I think Fatal Frame is the only series to have freaked me out so much to the point where I didn’t wanna play it. There’s just something about those games, man.

The core mechanic makes the strongest move staring directly at the ghost and letting it get right up in your face before you attack, which is a brilliant bit of design for a horror game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Getting to the basement in Amnesia and seeing the footsteps in the water was a big "nah I'm good" *uninstalls* moment for me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The story really starts in 2, but yeah, there's very few games I'd call actually bad and even the ones that don't work as well as the others are generally at least trying something interesting. I'm just sad the pace of them slowed - we got spoiled getting three the first year.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Also if you're into little indie horror every time there's a big bundle on Itch there's usually some good stuff on there.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

What' up with the reasonably realistic appearance? Just really good texture work?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Oh yay an excuse to post this loving amazing thing

https://twitter.com/Yurukuyaru/status/1523643949826588674?t=DZcPdFS_9av2jSUq2SajBA&s=19

Unreal 5 can do some poo poo

That's absolutely incredible and I can't wait for this to hit actual games.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Hey, panstasz is alive and he's dropped a new World of Horror patch! Good times. https://twitter.com/panstasz/status/1586450808257724416

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The heads were terrifying because they're inescapable and inevitable. You can't kill your head without dying yourself, you can't wait it out, and the heads are everywhere so it's not like you can just keep away from it- if they don't get you immediately all you can really do is wait till you starve/dehydrate or until you slip up and they get you. That's pretty scary! And hard to communicate in a game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I'm so glad you enjoyed Stories Untold!

I hated the twist, but I tried every text command I could think of to avert fate.

Really excited for you to play Observation!

E: Happy Halloween horror thread!

I played Stories Untold and Night in the Woods back to back and they've both got scenes where you not only can't stop the protagonist from doing something incredibly stupid and self-destructive but must actively do it yourself and it's something no other medium can offer.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

No Kuon representation on that IGN list? :colbert: Boo!

Does SA have a :hipster: smiley? Because we should.

Given that Kuon costs like $500 for a legit copy, and that price is due to the low supply, it's no surprise that Kuon doesn't really have a large constituency.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Goosebumps was mostly just goofy weird spoooooky but AYAOTD was nightmare fuel. Dead Man's Float scared the hell out of me.

The loving clown nose episode!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Len posted:

Bloodborne is getting a native PC port any day now according to "leakers" and that's way older than Until Dawn

Are these credible leaks or are these people mistaking "it would be so cool if" for facts?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Doomykins posted:

I think seven years later you should've saved up the grueling $300 + $20 greatest hits copy and just played Bloodborne but I admire the pure stubborn tenacity of the PC only From fan.

I do want to play it, I just don't $320 want to play it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I tried it out but the controls feel balky and clumsy to me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

The premise of Devil in Me just reminds me that H.H. Holmes could have gotten away with all of those murders and disappeared if he hadn't stopped to inexplicably steal a horse

Some things you just do for the love of the game.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

That's a pretty bad price given Dread X Collection 2 costs $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

I hate to break it to you but AVP, beyond the one FPS with truly random Alien spawning points, all of it is really bad. Even before they threw in the Terminator or Robocop

The Capcom arcade beat 'em up is really, really good.