Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Shattered Memories is the shaky, amateur proof-of-concept for the best exploration/personal horror game that will never be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Not saying it matters, just that there's no point in hoping for them to come back or even for someone to follow up on the series like they would have done, because they won't and never wanted to do anything further with it. You can re-interprete or reboot all you want, of course, but there's only so much leeway before you end up with something too different to satisfy the people who wanted something closer to the feel of Silent Hill than what they got. See Shattered Memories.

Personally, I think the best Silent Hill game in recent history is Deadly Premonition.

Shattered Memories was mediocre overall, but the whole ice motif was amazing and I hope some piece of horror media uses a similar effect in the future.

vvvv I'll see if I can hunt it down, thanks!

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 17, 2014

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Anyone looking for a Kickstarted horror game set in a nightmarish world that runs on dream logic should play LISA.

This comes with the bonus of also being a Kickstarted humor game set in a nightmarish world that runs on dream logic.

Though I suppose some folks might disagree about it being horror at all. It's about the grinding depression of how lovely people can be, not tense, supernatural situations. More of a constant, low level sense of dread than outright scary stuff.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I liked the angerfish, and I liked a lot of the setpiece puzzles.

The plot is about as deep as the nightmare you'd have after a night of watching old Star Trek stories while remembering a summary of Reasons and Persons, which isn't bad for a horror game, but I guess it sells better with goons than "Boo! Spooky Castle" and "Hey the industrial revolution was pretty hosed, amiright?"

Is there a horror game with a deeper plot? I'm asking honestly, existential horror is pretty outside the mainstream in regular literature, let alone video games, so I'd be interested in playing something with more meaning than "humanity is hosed, be depressed" or "you did something bad and all this stuff is your own guilt trying to kill you."

For the record, I thought it was a good handling of the good ol' fashioned "what makes a human human?" question, which isn't particularly original but is a fun enough thought experiment to be compelling. Though my appreciation might be because I don't read much sci-fi so I'd never seen the subject broached via robots.

Also worth noting my wife, who has impeccable taste, started making jerking off motions whenever Simon waxed philosophical, so maybe I'm just a big dumb dunderhead who is easily amused.

Plot spoilers: I'll admit the whole "humanity is over, is it worth continuing as computer programs?" part of the plot didn't do it for me. I would have preferred if it lingered on the fact that there are at least four Simons over the course of the game, made it more personal.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The Swapper is great and the ending is brutal. Some of the puzzles needed to be a little too pixel-perfect for my tastes (I remember solving one but placing one of my clones slightly off, which caused me to waste a bunch of timing assuming I had it completely wrong until I watched a video) but it's otherwise a blast. A depressing, harrowing blast.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I'm extremely behind on Steam and game pricing, don't quite know where else to ask: is $14.99 ($17.99 with the soundtrack) a good deal for Darkest Dungeon? I've watched the game streamed, love the art and sound design, and am fond of roguelikes even when permadeath is possible.

It's an excellent 20 hour game stretched out into a 30-40 hour game. I think it's worth it and then some, but I'll lay out my problems too.

The main problem comes when you hit the endgame dungeons, where every upgrade is vital and insanely expensive, and every dungeon run becomes brutally unforgiving. It takes too drat long to grind up enough characters to beat the game, and losing a hero at that point (and you will probably will lose a few) makes it worse.

That said, the actual dungeoneering is a fun risk/reward game (your supplies and treasure both take up the same limited inventory space), the difficulty of the fights makes it tense when combined with the permadeath, and the narrator makes what would otherwise be a pretty basic combat system immersive. Nothing beats barely eking out a win against some giant monstrosity, and as you lay the desperate final blow getting the line "ghoulish horrors, brought low and driven into the mud!" Narrator dude really helps you feel the triumphs and failures.

tl;dr It's overlong and can get a bit tedious, but worth it imo.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Pony Island is on sale right now for $1.64 on Steam. It's not scary per se but it's horror themed, about an endless runner game called Pony Island... that was programmed by Satan.

It plays this absurd concept completely straight except for a couple minor jokes, which makes it fun instead of eye rolling. It's mostly a puzzle game where you screw around to cause the game to crash, cheat yourself a laser beam, unlock secrets about your past, etc. You actually do play the titular game a decent amount, but the ways it changes are amusing. I'm a sucker for "haunted computer" games done well, and this scratches that itch.

It's only a few hours long, and for the price right now it's a steal.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 31, 2016

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Was that supposed to be the protagonist "winning" at the end of INSIDE? It was positive in a sense, but pyrrhic as all hell. I took it to mean he weakened the security on the Crime Against All Creation/Katamari enough to free it, at which point it absorbed him and went on a furious rampage, spending the last of its energy on revenge as it died in the same agony it lived. The thing struck me as a terrible gestalt, not the protagonist's rad new biomech.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I would unironically play a FMV game about the thing behind the dumpster in Mulholland Drive.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

It's also a shame since there is plenty to be said about child abuse and I'm sure that someone could make a game about the subject that delves into what awful things go through the minds of the kind of monsters who would commit such vile acts but this game does not seem seem to be nuanced in like... any way, shape, or form, and seems really damned ham-handed in its handling of such a serious subject.

Lisa: The Painful handles it through a combination of gallows humor and batshit insanity.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

What makes the monk annoying to deal with?

I really should sit down and play some ff1 one day.

It's been a a good decade since I played, but IIRC his head appears and disappears constantly, and he can only be damaged when it's visible. This is on top of the monk being one of the hardest enemies in terms of health and damage. Also I think his head flits in and out of existence independent of his other animations, so it's possible for you to set up a good shot then eat poo poo because he went invincible as you pulled the trigger.

Apologies if I'm misremembering here. It stood out in a game that was pretty great if janky otherwise.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

All the great and deep ideas in the world don't do you the slightest good if you can't think of anything to do with it in practice. I remember how the original Penumbra advertised itself with the depth of its physics engine and the player's ability to interact with it... only to be used for nothing more than stacking boxes and pulling open desk drawers.

They've got a bit of a history of letdowns in that regard.

That's blatantly untrue. The physics engine also powers the greatest big dead worm spinning simulator that ever has and ever will be.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

The obvious and rather laughable downside of the sanity stuff? Monsters can't see you if you can't see them, to the point where holding a drawer in front of your face is enough to be straight-up loving invisible to the monsters while literally jumping around right in front of their faces. Seriously, there are Youtube videos of this and it's as ridiculous as the descriptions would make you assume it is.

There's another downside of the "incompetent programmer" angle for you, I guess, because that's not a mistake someone with more experience in programming antagonist AI would have made.

That's not a programming error, all the monsters are Ravenous Bugblatter Beasts of Traal.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Has a goonchild posted a sick burn in response to their goonparent's post yet? I feel like that's when we reach Peak Something Awful and we can all finally die.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I feel like part of the reason the Chzo games were so well-received was because they were in the middle of that enormous mid-2000s adventure game drought. The only other decent adventure games released around the time were Sam & Max Seasons 1 & 2 (and calling Season 1 "decent" is the highest praise you can offer it), so they came across as classics* rather than pretty good but not mind blowing. Which makes them seem disappointing when you play that really awesome game you remember from 15 years ago and end up thoroughly unimpressed.

*In retrospect "I just wanted to go into spaaaaaaace" is the single best and most classic thing about them, because goddamn is that an inadvertently hilarious anticlimax.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Old Boot posted:

It helps that there are some legitimately decent ideas in there, but 'Ideas Guy: The Game' only has so much mileage. That said, I doubt people would still be passing them around if there weren't, so I'm not prepared to say 'poo poo, it's all poo poo,' or even that they're just bog-standard mediocre, outside of my own aforementioned 'can't death of the SPAAACE author.'

That's fair enough, I didn't mean to come down too hard on the series. I just remember people (myself included) treating them like they were a Silent Hill 2-level addition to the horror game canon, which was a bit much. At the very least Trilby's Notes is a definite highlight and worth replaying, it's just not a genre-defining game (IMO).

The real aughties point-and-click horror game I loved at the time and am terrified of revisiting is The White Chamber, because I have very fond and vaguely foggy memories of it and unlike Chzo it seems to not be remembered at all.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I kind of wish it didn't give away its premise within the first, like, five minutes of the game, but other than that yeah it's a neat game.

I used to feel this way, but then I realized that no one was going to buy this little game from an unknown dev without hearing about it, and the only people likely to talk about it are horror game fans... so in the end, embracing the conceit and getting into it right away rather than trying to hide it was probably the right move.

I feel like Eversion was the last (only?) game able to pull off that hidden meta-horror well, mainly because it was one of the first games to try something like that and it was originally a freeware platformer so it was easier to get people to play it without spoiling anything.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Eversion is a love story, not horror. :colbert:

I was going to argue that this was only the true ending, but then I remembered Zaurg and now I have to concede the point.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

If you're brainstorming the name of the hell dimension that serves as the fulcrum of your scarysex game and the best you can do is "Lusst'ghaa," that should be a clue that maybe erotic horror isn't your strong suit.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Kinda wishing there was a horror game that reveals early on before the 2nd act that you are a / the murderer, surprise, and the rest of the game is dealing with the fallout thereafter

Not quit the same thing, but I would play the poo poo out of a game based on The Vanishing.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Shattered Memories' greatest problem were, I think, not really the chase scenes, it was that while it had a conceptually interesting gimmick, it's just not one that really works all that well in practice. The whole conceit that the game psychoanalyzes you, that sounds great on paper, but it's a whole lot less neat once you realize that it effectively punishes you for curiosity and choosing to actually examine the environment.

I mean, let's not kid ourselves, it's still a Silent Hill game and like all Silent Hill games, it thrives on making you look at every single random object in a room in the hopes that it's the key or a hint towards a later or current puzzle. When that leads to the game suddenly starts assigning you a character background of alcoholism and domestic abuse or whatever, simply because those are the tagged objects that are most prevalent in the game so far, then the game concepts clash into each other in a decidedly negative way. The need to go over the game with a fine-toothed comb and the players' desires not to in order to get their desired ending just didn't mesh.

I've said it before (maybe even in this very thread), but Shattered Memories was a janky proof-of-concept for what could have been a really great game built on lessons learned. I'm sure modern tech could also add more to the whole adventure.

On the subject, are there any other games where the creepy otherworld is supernaturally cold rather than fleshy? Those transitions really stuck in my head more than anything else in the game, possibly because "getting trapped in a blizzard" is a way more real and immediate fear than "getting transported to Lusst'ghaa again."

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Danknificent posted:

Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason (not sure if I'm remembering the title right) -- not an otherworld exactly, but it had narrative transitions and the cold was a big deal and pretty oppressive and well-realized.

The game itself was a mixed bag, but deserved a lot of credit for trying.

Oxxidation posted:

cryostasis was fantastic and extremely russian

Thanks! Years of playing old school RPGs have made that special Eastern European flavor of gameplay feel downright pleasant to me, so I'll have to check this one out.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

TBF it's hard to make "there's a balloon with my face hunting me down to hang me" scary in video game form.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Lowtax's daughter speaking the hard truths.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Black August posted:

Coming soon, the newest hit horror title, 'The Darkness FUCKS', in which you are a specialized matchmaker for horrifying entities who just need some downtime to recuperate and want to date before their next big job and death spree

It's called Monster Seeking Monster and it's part of Jackbox Party Pack 4.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Speaking of SAW games, has anyone else here ever heard of this old RPG Maker game where you play as a serial killer and have to construct basement dungeons filled with traps and kill people you abducted so you can get internet likes? I think there was an LP of it. The entire concept is incredibly weird, but somehow story came together surprisingly well. The whole thing ends up making some kind of point about the value of art in the eye of the artist as opposed to how it is received by critics... or something.

I have played way too many crappy RPG Maker horror games, but never heard of anything like this. I'd be really curious to hear yhe name of it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Man, Lost in Vivo is really good and fun but falls apart once you reach the endgame. Unless I missed something, the last area is just a series of boring corridors full of enemies before it abruptly ends.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Lunatic Sledge posted:

It's the *start* of a good idea

ShatMemz.txt

It was the janky tech demo for a legendary game that will never exist :(

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I feel like walking simulators are best-suited for this approach, since they have the fewest systems to muck up and complicate things. Still insanely difficult though.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The best thing ShatMemz did was make hellworld icy rather than meaty. Rusty/organic otherworlds are as overplayed as bad dad narratives, there are plenty of other spooky aesthetics to use.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The Hidden?

Never played it but iirc that fits the bill.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Layers of Fear is just another generic Bad Dad Punishment Simulator, the same kind that's been clogging up indie horror games for a few years except with better production values. Said production values result in some actual cool things, but it honestly would have been better if it ditched the plot and existed as a spooky walk through a haunted house with no justification given.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Not the Bees posted:

Haven't dug too deeply yet, but I've found a couple of decent horror games so far.

Bonbon has terrible controls (somewhat intentionally, you're playing as a toddler) and I encountered a game-breaking bug towards the end, but aside from that it was a really unnerving experience.

There's Tamashii, a "weird Luciferian puzzle platformer" which is quite fun and has a few effective mind-gently caress moments.

Babysitter Bloodbath is way too intense for me to try personally, but if you're into Puppet Combo's VHS slasher aesthetic and unforgiving gameplay then it's probably a must.

There's also Parsnip, which is technically one of those "cute games that is secretly evil" but it lets the cat out of the bag immediately after the tutorial puzzle so it's not much of a spoiler. The real spoiler is it never actually becomes a horror game, even the endings are incredibly goofy.

There's a sequel, The Testimony of Trixie Glimmer Smith, which is also in the bundle and looks like more of a straight horror VN, but I haven't gotten around to it.

e:Tamashii is real good and pretty short, recommended if you like platformers at all.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 11, 2020

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

Where is this thread, I can't find it anywhere

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926987

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That pretty much hits the nail on the head right there.

To be clear, the reason I'm not arguing with anything Blockhouse is saying is because nothing Blockhouse is saying is wrong. Thomas is a huge streotype, that is definitively true (also what he's meant to be a streotype of could be debatable).

I dunno, I thought it was a bold choice to have York spend half the game thinking he's actress Sissy Spacek.

"Zack, did you know that they dumped karo syrup and food coloring all over me in my breakout film, even though I was willing to use real blood? Now that's devotion to my craft."

Lifeglug posted:

From this review https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/deadly-premonition-2-a-blessing-in-disguise

Given apparently it has this, an inexplicably inverted y axis and it runs like poo poo I’ll be giving it a pass.

:( Man, I was looking forward to this game too.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Mindblast posted:

Its quite interesting how divided people are on this game.

As someone who dislikes it, I understand why people love it: the atmosphere is fantastic in a bleak way, the story is just vague enough and the overall concept of fortifying temporary safe havens is great.

It really comes down to how you feel about the actual gameplay, crafting and poo poo like the line of sight system, all of which is weird enough that the game was always destined to be love it or hate it.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Alpha Beta Gamer is literally just game footage.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

I think it just lacks the same overall charm as the first game. The enemies are more generically zombie-ish instead of the eerie, human-like and alien nature of the Shibito of Siren 1. The characters also did not really grab me as much. By the end of Siren 1, I think you've well started to care about Tamon, Kyoya and Yoriko. I can barely even recall what the Siren 2 characters were called, although I played through it two or three times as well.

That carries into the plot too, in Siren 1 everything is happening because a bunch of desperate starving villagers ate a dying alien god-thing which is trippy and awesome, whereas Siren 2 is a far more straightforward ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STOP THE GENERIC ANCIENT EVIL FROM REAWAKENING?

Which is a shame, because after chestface I thought things would go in a weirder direction. That said, what happens to that one soldier dude is actually pretty cool.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

the first siren is unnerving but has a very weird and bad english voice cast, and is also one of the bitterly miserably unfun video games i have ever played. siren og hates you for playing it, hates you for living, and will make you regret both for every moment of the experience

i never touched the remake but heard that it's more user-friendly while also abandoning most of what made the first game scary/memorable

This is all true. Which is why, like Deadly Premonition, it's best experienced through Supergreatfriend's Let's Play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dnr4_4Ykyg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Edith finch is objectively a way better game and story than Ethan Carter. It's almost satirical that Ethan Carter employs the "it's all in their imagination / dream!" and "am I the true villain??" tropes together to make it such a wholly terrible story. The subplot puzzles and environment were fun enough but that story certainly leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Have newer horror games gone past the need to make their protag a James Sunderland clone?

Edith Finch is one of the few walking simulators that actually uses the medium for something other than pretension. The way it switches up the gameplay for each perspective and the powerless, railroady nature of being a walking sim makes knowing that you're playing a fantasy version of the death of each character really hit home.