Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I do agree that Half-life 2 has an awesome vibe. Nothing is overly explained but you sort of fill things in for yourself as you explore and observe the environment. Left 4 Dead series is very similar. Valve is so good with storytelling I wish they could spend a little less time on Dota.

I agree they're good at world-building, but I'm not sure that's the same thing as being good at telling a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Sharzak posted:

I'm real irritated The Void and Knock-Knock aren't included in the spooky sale. I already own Knock-Knock but more people need to play it and I wanted to get my hands on the Void.

I'm seeing the Void as 75% off. http://store.steampowered.com/app/37000/

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Dead Space 3 was a good action game but a bad horror game.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder is also puzzle-based.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Kortel posted:

I don't like Alien Isolation. The atmosphere is great but the teleporting alien is killing the game for me plus it's psychic ability to locate me. I'm also feeling like the game is waaay too long.

I don't understand how a game can be too long. If you're getting bored, just... stop playing it.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Maybe The Room series? They have a creepy atmosphere, and they're based around the fear of discovery as you're basically trying to unlock the Lament Configuration.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

At the Mountains of Madness just entered early access.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/393820

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

He's probably just going to be a hallucination or dream sequence though, it wouldn't make any sense for him to actually show up.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Danaru posted:

Soma is a bizarre case, since it did an excellent job of making you worried that there was something stalking you, but also the times where something IS stalking you are the weakest point of the game. At the same time, if it was just a straight up walking simulator, it wouldn't be scary because in the back of your head, you know nothing can hurt you.

I don't really know how to fix it. Without the dangerous parts, the game wouldn't be scary, but the dangerous parts drag the game down by being more annoying than scary on their own. :( I enjoyed it but man it had issues.

Is being stalked really the only scary thing you can think of? That seems remarkably unimaginative, especially given Soma did a good job of building an oppressive and hopeless atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm actually perfectly fine with Dead Space 3 pushing into straight-up action, because there wasn't a lot left to be scared of. Isaac knows how Necromorphs work and how to stop them as much as the player does, so it just becomes contrived forcing him into another rapidly-infecting ship and expecting Isaac to be afraid of it all for a third time. Stomping in prepared with weapons he's crafted to murder the poo poo out of Necromorphs makes a whole lot more sense.

They should've focused more on the body horror aspect, the necromorphs in 3 were supposed to have been undisturbed for hundreds of years so they could've gone all-out on their mutations.