Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, I started playing Painscreek. I suspect I'll never actually finish this as I'm really good at overlooking minute clues, but it's already proving to be an interesting mystery. Just found the kid's trashed room in the hospital and the bloody note to her friend, which was like...goddammit, where is this going. Also it's a drat pretty game.

I marathoned it for the past few days, after it sat it my Steam library for a while. Dutifully kept notes as I played, by the end I felt like Charlie chasing Pepe Silvia, but the story's extremely good.

Has a couple of extremely rare scares too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

SelenicMartian posted:

"Her marriage to Lovecraft was never legally ended because Lovecraft, although he assured her the divorce had been filed, failed to sign the final decree"

I can see why his attempts to write actual dialogue, involving people and talking, are pretty hilarious.

Ross Geller based on Lovecraft

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Every couple of months I check on Steam if there's any progress on Albino Lullaby: Episode 2. I really liked the first one, but the second episode has been getting pushed up for the last two and a half years. Noticed recently that its name got changed to Alice's Lullaby though, and I remember seeing a trailer that suggested they're throwing a sudden Alice in Wonderland story.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

On one hand it really feels like a cheap Unity game held together by the most generic assets. I’m pretty sure it’s using the default first person controller and sound effects which make every footstep sound like you weigh 900 pounds. But it really is a detailed world that demands you pay attention and it nails the atmosphere of a comfortable but slightly off picturesque town.

It kind of cracked me up that the opening text to Painscreek tells you "if you get stuck and can't move, there's a reload function to put you back." That's some confidence in your game's functionality!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

megalodong posted:

you all ready for more of the agony devs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pae3JCyFgLs

Man, that's loving ugly, whenever you can actually see what's going on. Which is what I recall seeing from Agony.

Hell filled with horns, tits, bones and lava is by far the least interesting way to depict hell.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Zushio posted:

Even if he did punch a kid in Flower, Sun, Rain. I'm pretty sure that kid was an rear end in a top hat.

drat. You don't often see an overhand punch to the back of the head from in front of someone.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Fhqwhgads posted:

"Look at you, backer..."

:lol:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ooh, I am so ready for something new from them. I hope it's an entirely new IP.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

Frictional just announced Amnesia sequel.

I'm a little disappointed at the prospect. I liked how SOMA made the fear of walking through corridors with a dodgy flashlight secondary to the existential crisis, I'm not looking forward to a return to "gently caress, nearly out of tinder boxes." Then again, Frictional doesn't seem like the type to go back to the same well, and it might be a sequel in the same manner Machine for Pugs was one.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I would love a machine for pugs instead of what that game became

Wandering through the mansion of a rich old lady who recently disappeared, you hear a strange noise from around the corner...

ENNH ENNNH ENNH *SNORT* ENNH

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I play games to escape this kind of thing

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Irony.or.Death posted:

That's...still not really a twist. You just stick with the first perspective a little bit longer than you did when exactly the same thing happens earlier in the game. You still get to go hang out as paradise Simon for the ending and everything.

There's a lot of ways they could've gone with the ending. I still like the way they did it, since it gives the player a sense of conclusion, but man oh man, would it have been dark had they left the post-credits scene out of the game entirely.

By the way, if you're interested in what-might-have-beens about SOMA, I made a video out of the cut material that was packaged with the game:

https://youtu.be/yh_tgh-KkAg

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 27, 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Someone here made a good point why Simon still thinks he'll win the coin toss at the end of the game; because, from his perspective, he won the coin toss when they copied him into a new body before going into the abyss. The fact that he kept fooling himself is part of the tragedy. I get why people find that unsatisfying though, it's usually frustrating when your game character figures things out slower than you.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't think death/fear of it has ever been what creeps me out or scares me in a horror game. It's always the atmosphere.

Bloodborne is a game where you die constantly but I was still freaked out when I got bagged by those guys that show up later in the game and tossed into the hidden village because it was so outside the scope of the game/my frame of reference for where I was.

I guess if I had to choose one mechanic it's combat as good as Bloodborne but that's almost an impossible ask since it has the GOAT combat. Or I just wish games were better at setting the proper atmosphere to keep me on edge.

It's a pretty good shock when a game does something you didn't expect it was supposed to. Undertale's bad guys kicking you out of the game comes to mind.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lunatic Sledge posted:

so, silent hill: shattered memories had a gimmick where the game would subtly change to gently caress with you based on your behavior; it was hyped up as building a sort of "psych profile" to hit you where it hurts, and it even affected the endings

stare at mannequins and sexy posters too long? the game flags you as a pervert. Don't gently caress around examining anything and instead go straight toward the next plot thing? The game flags you as goal oriented and a go-getter. Keep staring at toys and dumb poo poo, etc. It was also influenced by some questionnaires you had to fill out throughout the game, as part of the plot was that you were talking to a therapist

in practice though that's literally all it was: what you focused your camera on the longest, and how you answered questions posed by an in-game psychiatrist, and there was only four "play styles" and corresponding endings. Say you like booze, the game will spawn beer cans instead of soda cans, you look at beer cans, you get the booze ending

It's the *start* of a good idea but it's one of those where, to really see it shine, I think you would have to go butt loving nuts with how much the game is reading into everything you do, not just how your camera is positioned but poo poo like whether or not you're reading item descriptions and how often you walk versus run, and it would take a bit more than four discreet categories (which in shattered memories was basically Good/Horny/Lazy rear end in a top hat/Drunk), something more granular and not just LAZY rear end in a top hat MODE HAS BEEN ACTIVATED, PLEASE ENJOY THE LAZY rear end in a top hat ENDING FOR LAZY ASSHOLES

That game also had the fleshy pink enemies change depending on your "obsession," right? Definitely a good idea not taken far enough.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

sigher posted:

No wonder the Alien feels so alive, they did such a great job with this. Ugh, shame this engine and AI is never getting used again for a sequel.

Related, there's some neat videos on Youtube about Half-Life's characters' behaviors, it's pretty nuts how much stuff there's under the hood:

https://youtu.be/9jO-P3kXlCI

Enemies having smelling behaviors, gibbed corpses smelling for a certain period of time and NPCs commenting on it, cockroaches avoiding light.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 26, 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

Lol

My fiancee was looking through the Switch eShop and found a game she thought sounded neat, a horror game in a haunted house where you're trying to find your missing family

It was Gone Home

To be fair, it feels like a horror game for most of its run. When I picked up the crucifix in the basement and the lights went out, I backed out into the menu and went to make myself a long slow cup of tea.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I also went into Gone Home totally blind (all I knew was some people raved about it and others sneered at it for being a walking simulator), and while it's obviously framed as a horror game for most of its run (dad implied to be going insane, mom cheating, sis possibly suicided, seance, etc), I don't get why the switcheroo made people mad or dislike the game. I go into most media expecting/wanting to be emotionally manipulated. I only hate a twist when it's "surprise, that thing you cared about? Doesn't matter!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hel posted:

A lot of the people I've seen complain about it being "misrepresented" as a horror game is people who don't like horror, so for them it was more about missing out on something they would have liked because it looked like something they wouldn't.

That's fair. I think this is one game where it's a big advantage if you go in not knowing what to expect at all.

I've rarely felt the kind of dread in a game as when you go into the attic at the end :magical:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Another thing about Machine for Pigs was that it was originally going to be way shorter. They padded it all out with dull meandering on walkways and tunnels with crummy puzzles.

I think, had it been shorter and more concentrated, and had it made a firm choice between linear walking sim and trying to be a survival horror puzzler like Dark Descent, it would've been remembered more fondly.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*starts obsessively looking for fuses*

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

multijoe posted:

Bloodborne might not be frequently scary, but it is one of the only cosmic horror games I've played where the supernatural elements were repulsive and unnerving. Alot of Lovecraft inspired media really seems to rest on its laurels and just give you a hosed up squid dude with an eldritch number of tentacles which needless to say is the most terrifying thing you've ever seen, lose 10 sanity points.

Actually focusing on some weird and gross concepts, like 'eyes on the inside' and the warping of the human form from abusing alien knowledge was alot more interesting than pretending to be as scared of race mixing and the very concept of other sapient species as a early 20th century hyper-racist

Bloodborne does so many interesting things with Lovecraftian-style mythos. I like the implication that people live in awareness of Elder Gods or Great Old Ones, and the idea that people are trying to communicate with them, and even make one.

I wonder if you could make interesting combat for a horror game by just having the character flail and kick at monsters, but it'd eat away at an endurance meter you also use to run. Like, kicking a monster away from you makes it stumble a bit and gives you time to run, but do it too much and you can't.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

has anyone linked the little nightmares 2 trailer yet

puppets might be overdone as a Spooky Thing but they appear to be going exceptionally hard on the idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwXe_203Tn0

The first one was absolutely beautiful and this looks like it will be too.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

man nurse posted:

There’s a new Amnesia coming out. Any indication that it’s going to be good? I didn’t know about it.

I've pre-ordered it cause I really like Frictional, though the latest trailer didn't make me very enthusiastic.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

TheWorldsaStage posted:

And from that we got hunks mcgoo, thankfully

Jaamed

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Shouldn't have adopted a dramatic little person.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
In my restless dreams, I pull off the sickest kickflip

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Buck Wildman posted:

why no Dr. XXX I don't have enough to pay for my checkup, isn't there.... some other way I could repay you

:lol:

I think I rented XXX University once on VHS

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cool. I've been patiently waiting for a PC release eventually.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love the part where the music gets all intense when he walks in the door

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

el oso posted:

I love Until Dawn and enjoyed The Quarry well enough but have to say that Justice Smith gave one of the worst voice performances I've ever heard In The Quarry. I've seen him in movies before and he's a perfectly fine actor but good lord in The Quarry he was terrible

When you start the game the counselors all talk about how hot and cool he is and then he shows up and gives this incredibly flat, mumbly performance. I couldn't take him seriously for the rest of the game even though I think you're supposed to be rooting for him

Oh yeah. He's kind of hot right now, but I first noticed him in this game and I have a hard time getting over that utterly dead voice.

On the other hand, now that I'm a balding 40-year old, I'm getting used to teenagers speaking like that to me, like "holy poo poo I'd rather do anything right now than talk to you, old corpse"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I only know Darkseed 2 from the Slowbeef & Diabeetus riff, but should probably try playing it all the way through some time, there's a plug 'n play version of it up on the Collection Chamber.

I've always felt there's a lot to that game that had to be dramatically cut back, to the point the game became nonsensical. Mike talks about so much Dark World stuff that never happened in the first game or isn't evident in what we see in the second one, that I assumed the game was written from the idea that HR Giger would be supplying custom artwork, until they got to production, and had to assemble backgrounds and characters from a limited selection of Giger's existing portfolio.

I also always love how the most dramatic sound effects are clearly just placeholders, ie a guy whistling for the Keeper of the Dead zoning in, and, of course, the sound effect for the game's most important moment.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Looks like Momo's Liminal Pool VHS Aesthetic 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I always figured it's more about the childish fear of "this place is big and strangely configured enough that I could lose sight of my parents and get lost"