Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

folgore posted:

I see Scratches was mentioned. I finally got around to playing that game a couple weeks ago and was not impressed. The atmosphere is admittedly well done, but what most fans of Scratches fail to mention is that the game suffers from some seriously archaic and lovely puzzle design. I found actually playing the game to be an utter chore and lost interest in finishing it. If you can put up with bad puzzles or don't mind using a walkthrough to experience the spooky atmosphere then go crazy.

I had the same experience. There's rarely any good indication of what you need to do next, and since puzzle-related items have an unpleasant habit of being invisible until you need them (a la the basement key) you're looking at a lot of tracking back and forth through the awkwardly navigated rooms.

At the same time, it really was atmospheric as Hell. It felt lonely at the best of times, and going downstairs to check the fuses and furnace somehow managed to evoke the quiet terror I often felt alone in a basement when I was younger. But having to putz around and call your agent in order to trigger whatever comes next always left me cold after the first day or so. The game got in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've never been able to take the FEAR series seriously. People like to play up the resemblances between Alma and Sadako, but the storyline is more anime than anything else, like Tom Clancy cribbing lines from the Wikipedia page for Akira. Impressively proficient on a technical level though, I'll give it that.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'd been looking forward to Xen since those bizarre vistas you're shunted through during the resonance cascade event. That last battle with the Nihilanth was just awful though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Black Mesa sounds like one of those SNES romhacks that requires intimate familiarity with weird engine glitches and tactics, because the creators made them to challenge themselves and not a broader audience.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Del Toro's done 'The Strain' recently... which really isn't saying much.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Strain is pretty rad though, both the books and the TV series (so far).

Honestly, after everything else I've seen from him, I found The Strain to be deeply disappointing. That's neither here nor there, though.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

Dead Space 1 and 2 have nice atmosphere too, even though they're not really scary. The Ishimura in 2 was half of a great area.

Oh, yeah. I replayed both recently (stopped when the regenerators showed up) and when I got to the decontamination chamber in 2 I just said, 'Oh god drat it, not this again.'

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Amnesia was creepy, and there were a couple of good jump scares early on, but each time I've played I got frustrated around the time I finished making the Aqua Regia. Yeah, that early. It was always a matter of checking my inventory and status, and discovering that despite never doing anything really out of the ordinary, my sanity was only hanging by a thread. Always figured that I'd done something wrong, that there was probably a very limited amount of brain-health tonic, and that at that rate I'd just get too annoyed trying to keep myself sane than play the game.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm the one who hoards his health potions and doesn't spend skill points for unreasonable periods of time, then gets frustrated when his worries turn into self-fulfilling prophecies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"So, how do we combine a tamagotchi with a bomb collar?"