Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

El shaddi is seriously kind of a trippy game. At one point a boss fight was me beating up mooks in the background while the boss was doing his singing solo in the foreground. Take up 50% of your screen.

Oh and there's a motorcycle scene in a futuristic city. In a game about the book of Enoch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Dead space on the hardest difficulty got pretty survival horror fast.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

As a reminder if you liked the evil within at least a little bit, the dlc is seriously much better than just about anything in the vanilla game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So Hideo says Death Stranding isn't gonna be a horror game...goddamnit Konami

Probably a action game with somewhat horror like elements?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I think people are just disappointed we won't have anything like pt or that really cool trailer that came out after pt.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Alright admittedly those were cool. The lack of any interfering noise and total damp sound in any of the depressurized areas made me want more of that.

Dead space was worth it because the third game on the series gave us the cool ship graveyard area. Plus did you try it in coop? The two players would do the same side quest area but they'd get their own customized horror experience.

Dead space and mass effect are the two trilogies from last generation that deserve a remaster or updated version.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm looking forward to this a lot. Also thank you for the cat pic

Question about Bendy and the Ink Machine, is it a FNAF ripoff ala screaming faces jumping at you or is there subtlety?

I've watched some YouTube videos. It's closer to the subtlety. It's not as scary as most horror games, just a few kind of jump scares by having something move in the background or appear somewhere but not screaming in your face.

I think it has 3 episodes to go so it's building up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Or silent Hill shattered memories. Mostly walking around and looking and notes and stuff and the occasional running away.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

From what I understand, do normal and you'll get some equipment that lets you speedrun the game on easy as well as giving you a fighting chance for harder.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

boy are my arms tired posted:

I like Bendy a lot, its a cool game, but $6 bucks for around 20 minutes of gameplay is pretty awful, and if all the other chapters are like that i will probably wait for a sale or something

It's really about the art design. Watch a YouTube video you'll honestly get as much enjoyment.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Imagine the walkthroughs people will make for Agony.

After the bleeding nipple demon, take a left. If you see a guy laying in his own piss, you've gone too far. Around there should be the collectible artifact of scrotum tearing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

If you guys are enjoying d and d2, I'd recommend deep fear for the Sega Saturn. It has similar quirkiness and its a decent resident evil clone but in underwater lab.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Uh what happened to that Routine game again? I thought it was out earlier this year?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bogart posted:

Someone post the Murdered protagonists name because it is the most Irish cop name perhaps ever committed to vidgame

Ronan O'Connor?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Lol you've got to be loving kidding me with that house. Roller coaster, and a slide and what looks like a shipping container on wires?

HOA would shut this down. Game over.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'll probably grab observer on sale. Is it looking to be more interactive than layers of fear?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'll definitely pick up observer on sale then. I loved soma and if it comes close to being that interesting, it's worth playing

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I've been playing Narcosis and I'm digging it so far. It probably helps that I view the deep ocean as an inherently scary and unsettling environment.

Sup buddy, I like the game too. It's almost the entire abyss section of soma expanded into a full game. A little janky but I appreciate the effort they put in when creating this game and environment.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I just finished Narcosis. Holy poo poo, that ending.

Real short game, though. I'm glad I got it on sale.

Yeah I don't regret playing it. Not really much to talk about besides the ending and we can't spoil that for others.

But it's a great atmospheric game under the ocean and I think it does a good job of screwing with you mentally.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

F. E. A. R. Is one of my favorite horror FPS of all time. It's the first time I maxed out a game on my rig years ago. Looked great back then and everyone remembers the nail gun.

This game was an art to play.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

One thing about fear 3 is that it added a survival horde mode. It was fun online.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Observer is on the Playstation sale for 40% off. I think I will check it out at that price.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

BlackFrost posted:

SOMA is coming out for Xbox One on Dec. 1. Only...what, 2+ years later? Better late than never, I guess.

If for some reason you have an Xbox and nothing else and are reading the Horror Games Thread, it's highly recommended.

It's also coming with a mode to remove the monsters from the game, since the mod that did so on PC was pretty popular. The PC version is getting this mode added in for free at some point as well. No word on if the PS4 version will get it. Having played the game, I can say that removing the monsters would probably improve the experience, especially in Theta because gently caress that zone.

They confirmed safe mode is coming to ps4 too.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Typing of the dead is pure humor through and through as well.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I enjoyed my playthrough of evil within 1 but I fully admit it is flawed in certain ways that turns off the average gamer.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

It had a ton of genuinely awful game/level/enemy design as well as a terribly told plot that's complete nonsense if you don't play the DLC and some pretty major technical issues (some of which were eventually patched TBF)

See I think that's a big difference.

My first and only playthrough, I finished earlier this year with all dlc. So I got to see more interesting designs in the dlc and I liked the ending of the original game. Level design isn't that bad. Also because I played it this year, it's in the best patched state as well.

What is pretty bad is some of the enemy/boss encounters, like the one involving fire. But there are some set pieces that make you think 'this really feels like something put of resident evil 4'

At this point the complete game is like less than $20 bucks.

I'm glad they stuck with it. Doesn't seem likely we'll get a third game but I appreciate the effort.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

It's pretty similar to the quantum suicide problem too isn't it? Or the star trek teleporter issue, for another perspective.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think spec ops the line was a ps+ on ps3 title. The message came across much better then.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Remember that original content lp the terrible secret of animal crossing?

I think that's how you would have to do it to be successful.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

shits.ridic posted:

Hey does anyone here own Alone in The Dark, 2008 version and have found it actually playable? (Whether it's a lovely game or not is another matter.)

I have it for PS2 and tried to play recently. This is the most broken game I've ever played on a console. I see it's also available for PS3 and 360. I would like to try this game again but only if those versions aren't also broken. At least they could be patched, r-right? What say you goons

Like the other dude said get the ps3 edition. It's technically the latest edition (I think it's even called inferno as a separate name) and it's the most competent edition.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Wasn't the PS3 vetsin an 'enhanced' one that came out later than the others? I only played the 360 version and somehow played it enough to get all the achievements.

It is, which is why it plays better. It has more content too if I remember right.

But they improved a few things about the game as well. No idea why it didn't get patched back to the other editions.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I remember that puzzle! Making fluid trails. Really neat mechanic but I can see how people would be frustrated.

Its amazing how different it is with games today. Look at breath of the wild for creative solutions to every puzzle in the game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Thankfully resident evil 2 will fix that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Not if the rumors are true :(

Reddit rumor is they took out the alligator segment. I dont know why they would, but Capcom

Don't believe/listen to reddit rumors you idiot.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/14/17457264/resident-evil-2-remake-tofu-hunk-alligator-capcom

Even tofu will be back!

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 26, 2018

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I played it. It doesn't remove the tension but it does make it less frustrating as you don't have to restart as often.

Very recommended.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Trailer for Devotion, a first person horror game set in 1980s Taiwan. You’ll probably want subs on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEfRkPRxMgc

Yeah I'll keep an eye on this

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

What makes the monk annoying to deal with?

I really should sit down and play some ff1 one day.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Too shy, I really agree with you on little nightmares. It's so short and really leaves you wanting more. However the complete game on sale is a decent deal. I really like what they've done with the dlc levels. Did you get a chance to review the dlc levels?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Too Shy Guy posted:

No but I'm definitely going to pick up all the DLC the next time it's on sale, and when I do that I'll surely review it all!

I won't spoil anything but it does have more puzzles and a little bit different style of gameplay. I totally recommend it if you're in love with the atmosphere of the main game but are left wanting more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

If I remember right none of the environments are inspired. And there's some annoying parts. It's fun to fight your way through but that's about it.