Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
Alien Isolation, Evil Within, and Silent Hills is a pretty promising (admittedly, not yet proven) big budget horror lineup this early into the console life-cycle. I'm curious whether publishers have some reason to think horror games are a safe bet again or whether it just takes a big name or respected property to get bankrolled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Any time someone says a horror game plays like an old horror game like it's a bad thing I'm like :psyduck:

Tank controls 4lyfe

I think the prevalence of bad controls in old horror games, and their importance to their scariness, is really overblown. The early Resident Evils had tank controls, sure, but none of the other popular Japanese franchises (Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Siren, Clock Tower, etc.) had controls so egregious they became an obstacle to survival. Those games were scary because they were novel and surreal; they put an emphasis on pacing and atmosphere; they had relatively excellent production values; and they weren't afraid to de-emphasize combat and emphasize vulnerability.

I also think Shadows of the Damned gets criminally overlooked in discussions of Mikami. I'm really excited for The Evil Within, but in my mind Resident Evil 4 already had a spiritual successor, and it was Shadows.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
The RE2 demo inspired me to download the RE1 HD remake (7.99 on PSN for those interested) which I, to my shame, have never played all the way through. It’s really making me miss the days of fixed camera angles. While it’s probably not worth the frustration when it comes to combat, I love the creative control it gives the developers over how the game is presented. A skewed or dramatic camera angle can make an otherwise generic sequence feel frightening. It really helps make every square foot of the environment compelling.