Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

To be fair, it was a pretty weird change since iirc the reason behind it was because they didn't think people could empathize with a father going through hell to get his daughter back in the way a mother would, but then ended up writing in a father character searching for his daughter anyway

And pyramid head for no reason more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I think my biggest peeve about the Silent Hill movies was their use of the soundtracks from the games, especially the poaching of SH2 tracks for the first movie.

It just felt so unearned.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Danaru posted:

I think if Sam Barlow wasn't so far up his own rear end he's in danger of disappearing, it would have been better liked. "THE GAME IS PLAYING YOU AS MUCH AS YOU'RE PLAYING IT!! :tinfoil:" *Makes it nearly impossible to not get the horny ending because there's twice as many of those investigation hotspots as anything else*

The original pitch for the Silent Hill Wii game was going to be called Cold Heart and would have been much different than Shattered Memories looking at the design documents.

http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2014/12/09/Silent-Hill-Cold-Heart-pitch.aspx

Not saying it would have been a better game, just different.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Afterlife by Lucasarts was basically Sim City Dante's Inferno edition.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Night10194 posted:

One of the things that made the final boss kind of cool in Condemned I is that you had no idea what the gently caress you were fighting. Everything's on fire, Ethan is covered in blood and wearing a dead man's coat, and you're beating some kind of hosed up hissing demon to death in a barn.

That's how action horror stuff should end. It works precisely because you solved one of the mundane mysteries but the weird poo poo is confronting you with just enough information to know you should clock it in the skull with a shovel.

Wasn't the name of the final demon The Hate or something along those line?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I really liked the aesthetic in the first section of TEW 2 of just a rural town that you could wander around exploring. Once you leave it at around the half-way point my enjoyment levels dropped. I wish they would have made it bigger kept that as a hub for the entire game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

That doesn't sound very nuanced

At one point you get to choose whether to you let your fiance escape your castle or murder her and turn her corpse into a zombie that is one of the best damage dealing summons in the game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Honestly I feel like Silent Hill 4 is an incredibly creepy game mired in very unfortunate gameplay problems. Take away the mindless backtracking and make the ghosts stop bothering you every two seconds, and you're left with something that would have been pretty great.

The best part of SH4 was the first person haunted room parts.

Konami should really make an entire SH game that's in first person.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Silent Hill 4 also has incredibly good music. Room Of Angel is something I listen to every so often simply because it's a real good song.

Even Book of Memories the lovely PSP only hack&slash Silent Hill game had some great music tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0spJmIm8hlo

Vakal
May 11, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Downpour was one of those games for me where almost *all* of my problems with it came from the combat. Fix that and it's an entirely different game. I was okay with the story, I thought the environments ranged from okay to pretty good. None of it matters much since that kind of game shouldn't be throwing a parade of monsters that can stunlock you from a mile off and none of your weapons can do much against, yet you're usually required to fight them anyway.

I didn't care much for Downpour when it came out. Then one day I took some masking tape and covered up the Silent Hill title on the game case and wrote 'The Suffering 3" on it instead.

After that I enjoyed it a lot more.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
SOMA was ok but I saw the direction the game was going in fairly early on which just kind of made me feel disconnected from the story.

Games like Pathologic and The Void were better because I never knew what the gently caress was going on and I got sucked right in.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

For the Resident Evil HD release for the PC, does anyone know if they actually had to remake all the textures in high definition, or were able to to just re-use the art assets from the Gamecube version because they were already at that quality internally?

No real reason for asking, I'm just curious.

The answer is "kinda"

Some of the rendered background screens of the HD re-release look notably worse than others, with visible pixel abnormalities and stuff like that, which has lead some people to believe that Capcom had lost portions of the original renders and to take some from the gamecube version and upscale them to fit.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Does RE7 still have the tank controls? I remember playing a demo of the Africa one and was surprised to see it still did, which felt really out of place in a modern game.

You can move and attack at the same time, so no.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

The first part of Silent Hill 4 is the best Silent Hill, IMO. It didn't have the deep thematic feel of the actual town, but the systems they did have nailed home the horror perfect.

Shame about *waves hand*

Every time I see or play the haunted apartment sections of SH4 I just get sad since it reminds me that the gaming development community just seems completely unable to make a spooky first person haunted house game.

Then I remember Silent Hills PT and get even more sad.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 12, 2019

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Junk posted:

Cant tell if this means you did or didn't think the haunted apartment part was good

It's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYyMLXq_SSo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Black August posted:

Oh yeah! Saw that a few nights ago. Just like that, only, I want it taken to THIS level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuPDVrHg770&t=27s